• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nope, still lots of GATT issues in the OS, so they really don't work at all. MS has told Fitbit that further updates and fixes will go out after CU has been released, but no real timeframe. I really wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Absolutely unreal. Can't get GATT working? WTF is wrong with these people? Just shut this shit down already, stop embarrassing yourselves. Damn.

this_guy

Moto G5 Plus is a good choice that's not too expensive. It's pretty much stock Android.

Honor 8 is near flagship level performance and goes on sale frequently for under $300 (I think it was $240 this past weekend?). Huawei's skin is more similar to iOS than other Android manufacturers.

Then of course if money is not an issue then Pixel for stock Android or Galaxy S8 for best hardware.

Treo360

Sad that the platform is all but buried. My 950xl has been a dream these last few months. Heck since the last big update nearly everything had been smooth. Skype not working consistently being there only big issue for me. Started on an HTC HD7, and finished strong with a 950xl.

It's absolutely a shame. I'm not really excited for the OP3t that's headed my way, because the WP UI is so damn good. Just really disappointed that WP is going the way of the dodo.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I went to Vegas/Canyon last week, took lots of pics with Pixel. Seriously man, 950XL still is the king if you ask me. I compared the quality side by side. Pics I took in Spain last year are so freaking good.

Treo360

So I went to Vegas/Canyon last week, took lots of pics with Pixel. Seriously man, 950XL still is the king if you ask me. I compared the quality side by side. Pics I took in Spain last year are so freaking good.

Don't I know it. Went to a wedding this past Friday, and having been the unofficial photographer, I was left snapping photos from S7's and every manner iphones out there (5-7+) and our 950xl's just came out on top every time.

Furyous

*saunters into post looking around wondering where the fun went to*

I want a Windows Phone but... hardware OEMs have to step their shit up. Has Microsoft in anyway decided to modify the UI to employ icons instead of tiles?

I'll legit switch to WP if they release a device with:

An IR blaster
Wireless charging
Microsd support
1080p resolution
Removable battery
VR support
Two day battery life

The HP Elite and the 950 look like the most attractive devices but hardware buttons disgust me and the platform's update history is not enticing.

Blackhead

Redarse
Did they do this for the LG V20S?

Microsoft has to differentiate their smartphone platform somehow and this would be a good way to do it. At least give us the options of icons instead of tiles. How hard is it to code for Windows 10?
ij4ciG7.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The LG G6? What makes you consider it? Based on all I've read, it seems to be specializing in its durability and the flat top and bottom look feels more like a Lumia phone too.

After playing with the G6 and the S8 I preferred the look and feel of the G6. Seems like it would be more durable. I also like the dual camera setup on it. Not to concerned about it having the older snapdragon chip.

So if I want to get as close to the WP10 UI on Android as is possible, what should I be looking for?

So far, I've found Squarehome 2, Textra SMS, and Glance. Any others that we know of?

Pretty much anything that offers the nice squares and Dark/Light + Accent color theming is a huge plus.

Did they do this for the LG V20S?

Microsoft has to differentiate their smartphone platform somehow and this would be a good way to do it. At least give us the options of icons instead of tiles. How hard is it to code for Windows 10?

Icons are a scourge on the mobile world, and I wish to god MS would find a way to just "port" Windows 10 and all of its beautiful UI to Android.

Paganmoon

Yeah, Live tiles is the only thing left that's unique to Windows Mobile, and it's a great UI for phones. That's really the biggest if not the only thing I'm going to miss from the platform come tomorrow.

Paganmoon

I found out it's really the last thing I did miss.

Was it like, the thing you still missed, lastly, when you stopped missing everything else, or the last on the list of things you missed?

Can be read both ways :)

Edit: at least to a non native speaker like me.

derFeef

Haha.
Well I thought it would be the main think I am going to miss. But I mis much more than just the tiles. It's the little things - and while Android works, it just works and that's it. It's missing a lot of small stuff I learned to appreciate and for sure it's not out of habit because after one month on Android I still miss those things.

Klocker

So if I want to get as close to the WP10 UI on Android as is possible, what should I be looking for?

So far, I've found Squarehome 2, Textra SMS, and Glance. Any others that we know of?

Pretty much anything that offers the nice squares and Dark/Light + Accent color theming is a huge plus.

Icons are a scourge on the mobile world, and I wish to god MS would find a way to just "port" Windows 10 and all of its beautiful UI to Android.

Yes please.

Paganmoon

come to think of it, I might actually also miss the little smiley wink after you unlock the phone with Hello.
At least I'll still have that on the Surface Pro 4.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MJ Foley reported that she thinks windows 10 mobile is going into maintenance mode and will not be updating beyond the creator's update. RIP WIN10 Mobile.

Makes sense but tough to hear.

MJ Foley reported that she thinks windows 10 mobile is going into maintenance mode and will not be updating beyond the creator's update. RIP WIN10 Mobile.

It's been pretty obvious that a mobile shell of Win 10 on ARM will be the attempted future on mobile, right?

If there is one at all

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Did not think they would pull the plug, hot damn thats crazy. Its slowly hitting me, i was cheering for this OS since day 1.

Paganmoon

Rough seas ahead for the ol' ship...

I'd say there's been rough seas for quite some time before. The ship is now stuck in dead calm, and the crew is going to starve to death.

Wonder if we'll get to 500 pages... hmm.

Edit: also wonder how safe that sms importer is, could very well also copy all your text to another location somewhere...

derFeef

It fucking sucks.
First and foremost I don't want a phone everyone has.
Second WP UI is still the best and most eprsonal and useful UI's out there.

How could that happen? From the height's of Nokia Lumias to... this.

God damn, trying to get my Outlook contacts in is a pain in the ass.

Yep, I gave in and did the google<outlook import because otherwise not all infos would get synced. Outlook Calendar is still only half-assed on Android.

hadareud

The Translator
It's been pretty obvious that a mobile shell of Win 10 on ARM will be the attempted future on mobile, right?

If there is one at all

That's what I'm thinking.

The phones that are out now will get maintenance updates and if there are new phones, they will run on W10 ARM with a mobile interface.

hadareud

The Translator
Not sure how it's Crackberry territory to say that there's a possibility that MS will still have a mobile platform going forward.

I'm not saying that new phones (or small pc's or whatever they'll call them) will happen, but I wouldn't rule it out either. That they won't run W10 mobile is hardly a surprise.

derFeef

Not sure how it's Crackberry territory to say that there's a possibility that MS will still have a mobile platform going forward.

I'm not saying that new phones (or small pc's or whatever they'll call them) will happen, but I wouldn't rule it out either. That they won't run W10 mobile is hardly a surprise.

I would certainly hope so. I am okay with the status quo as long as not more apps jump ship. In the process of switching back to my 950 from Android and I am already much happier.

hadareud

The Translator
Same here. As long as the basic apps are still there I don't see any reason to switch away.

The more I use Android the more I know I don't want to use it full time.

Not that things are perfect on WP, but it's still so much more enjoyable to use than Android. It's not even close.

I'm pretty sure most here have already given up. Anyone but hadareud sticking with Windows Mobile going forward?

Feef is hanging in there.

There's always a possibility, or to reference Dumb and Dumber (because I don't want to use the gif), are you saying there is a chance?

There is no point and no real benefit. The Windows Store is dead, as is what we now know as UWP and might get another new name in the future. We've been dancing this "apps are coming!" dance for 7 years now. It's not going to happen. It didn't happen, when Microsoft announced the platform, it didn't happen with 7.5, when they got rid of a lot of restrictions and it didn't happen with the platform reset at 8. While there was a positive trend around 8.1, it didn't stick, because Microsoft kept ignoring their strongest market, Nokia and the Lumia brand went to shit and the relatively big market share they had in some European countries (double digits!) dwindled away as quickly as they gained it. Developers simply don't give a shit and there's nothing Microsoft is able to do about it. Even if the Store were free to use for developers and even if they could take a 100% cut, it wouldn't happen. There's no uptick, people don't use the apps on the desktop and there hasn't been a big, notable dev jumping on the platform in a long time. There isn't even proper app support from Microsoft for the platform.

But yes, there is a possibility, a chance. I've heard that these progressive web apps are the new hot thing. I'm sure we'll hear more about it at Build.

#WaitForBuild

hadareud

The Translator
No, it's not a Dumb and Dumber chance.

I would say there's a pretty good chance that W10 for ARM will also mean phone like devices. Whether it's a case of them throwing their weight behind it (ie Surface "phone") or not is a completely different story. I have no idea whether that's still on the agenda. It could mean cheapo devices from weird manufacturers and die after a few months, too.

As for UWP, we'll see.

edit: not

Milchjon

Still haven't gotten used to Android.

Also, just went on a Holland trip with my 3T. Don't think I shot one pic that I really loved. Of course there's the issue of the photographer, but still, I was much more satisfied with what I got out of my 130 euro 640 in Sweden last year.

Paganmoon

Still haven't gotten used to Android.

Also, just went on a Holland trip with my 3T. Don't think I shot one pic that I really loved. Of course there's the issue of the photographer, but still, I was much more satisfied with what I got out of my 130 euro 640 in Sweden last year.

Uh, the 640 had the absolut worst camera in a phone I've had I think. (granted, I've gone from the 920 to 1020 to 640), I mean the indoor shots are horrendus, the colors are so off and everyone looks like death.

But I guess there are worst cameras outthere..

Uh, the 640 had the absolut worst camera in a phone I've had I think. (granted, I've gone from the 920 to 1020 to 640), I mean the indoor shots are horrendus, the colors are so off and everyone looks like death.

But I guess there are worst cameras outthere..

I mean, you *did* come from a 1020....

Also I solve that problem by being an actual amateur photographer with a dedicated camera >_>

Top Bottom