• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The white helps it a lot, the black one looks pretty boring.

Sometimes color makes all the difference. I think the 800/900 look pretty ordinary in black, but dat Cyan makes it the best looking phone yet.

The white One X is a good looking phone.

Have you seen it in person? It feels great in hand, just big enough to give good grip yet light weight to not feel heavy. The poly carbonate is smooth even the white looks beautiful (white on Lumia is glossy and cheap).

The cyan Lumia feel heavy with annoying sharp edge compare to One x.

Oh another problem with One X on Att is that it lock down and come with all the Att stuffs ...

I feel like the polycarbonate on the One X is a little too cheap feeling as opposed to the 900, but that's just personal opinion. It's leagues better than anything I've felt from Samsung.

DITTO about VanMard's comment. The white One X is the only good looking design out of the two One X's.

PSGames

The white One X looks stunning in person. The only phone I've seriously considered ditching my 900 for. The Screen and Camera alone are leagues ahead of any mobile device I've used.

Troll

Banned
I have to admit too, once I used the One X I thought about switching, then reality kicked in. Android just isn't what I want in a phone. When Wp8 hits and we get this hardware, I swear ill bust all over myself.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Seriously? It doesn't look much different than the sensation

It's one single build piece on the back made of polycarb. This makes sort of a unibody phone with the screen just sort of floating there. The only downside is there is no removable battery or sd card slot.

I hate to say this as taboo as it is, but what The Verge video review to get a good look at how different the phone really is.

Troll

Banned
It's one single build piece on the back made of polycarb. This makes sort of a unibody phone with the screen just sort of floating there. The only downside is there is no removable battery or sd card slot.

I hate to say this as taboo as it is, but what The Verge video review to get a good look at how different the phone really is.

Is it really taboo? I guess it probably is lol.

This post on the forums made me laugh. I may or may have not posted it,

Troll

Banned
I am really unhappy with my lumia's authonomy. I have the latest firmware and I still have to charge the phone everyday : /

Power users will always have to charge phones everyday. Unless it's the Droid Razr Maxx, but that phone is fucking dumb anyways.

I am really unhappy with my lumia's authonomy. I have the latest firmware and I still have to charge the phone everyday : /

Yeah, that's pretty much every smartphone on the market...not that I approve of it.

With an extended battery, my Trophy will sometimes make it through two whole days. I tend to not use it that much, because it makes the phone unwieldy.

Cipherr

A couple of desk chargers for home and work, a car charger, and the extended battery if your phone has one is the only answer.

We need a breakthrough in battery tech badly.

Commodore

A couple of desk chargers for home and work, a car charger, and the extended battery if your phone has one is the only answer.

We need a breakthrough in battery tech badly.

Whoever figures it out and patents it, BILLIONS. It's almost to a point where I'd consider trading 3 more hours of battery life for high end features. Wait, that's a dumb phone. Coincidentally, noticed this article today. Doubt it'll turn out into anything viable in the market for many years, but hey, breakthroughs are cool.

The white One X looks stunning in person. The only phone I've seriously considered ditching my 900 for. The Screen and Camera alone are leagues ahead of any mobile device I've used.

just don't wear jeans with it...

YTJLf.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It must be a polycarbonate thing. My wife's 900 stained with one of the cases at&t was selling. Good thing we noticed it at the store and returned the case.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It must be a polycarbonate thing. My wife's 900 stained with one of the cases at&t was selling. Good thing we noticed it at the store and returned the case.

I'm thinking this as well. Makes me wonder if despite wanting a color if I should just be lame and get black for my next phone if it's going to be polycarb.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia, MS, and AT&T missed out on an opportunity to capitalize on the 900's momentum by not having the Magenta Lumia 900 out for tomorrow. My wife's co-workers are all talking about her phone, and one of them is due for a contract renewal. She would've jumped all over a pink 900.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Does anyone here still use the marketplace to find apps?

I click on it when the live tile tells me there are updates, does that count? Looking at how Google totally reinvented their market makes me jealous. It went from being worse than ours, and now I love the layout and how fun it is to browse Google Play. It was my understanding that with Mango, MS could update the Marketplace app without needing to do a firmware upgrade, but they haven't updated any of their core apps the way Google does, which is a missed opportunity. I wish I had the Nokia market, that's a lot more fun to browse at least.

On another topic: Is there a Gooroovester-like app for Amazon music? I'm uploading my music to Google Play now, but since I buy my music from Amazon, I'd just rather load my stuff to their ecosystem.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Its weird I'm getting my brothers Facebook status updates and picture notifications in my Me tile. Not sure how to fix that??

hwalker84

Wow, that is a fantastic video. And the 900 camera is really, really, not good, lol. My s.o. cannot take a decent photo with that thing. She doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong either.

Agree. Unless the lighting is natural lighting I cannot get a decent picture to save my life. Example: I was trying to take pictures of my HTC Titan for Ebay with my 900. Horrid pictures so I had to resort to my old 5MP Sony camera (which my Titan was better than)

Milchjon

Has anyone tinkered with app development for WP7? I guess there's no way to try your app on your actual phone unless it gets approved for the marketplace? If so, that's too bad, I'd love to actually try around a bit.

Troll

Banned
Has anyone tinkered with app development for WP7? I guess there's no way to try your app on your actual phone unless it gets approved for the marketplace? If so, that's too bad, I'd love to actually try around a bit.

do you develop for other platforms?

Milchjon

do you develop for other platforms?

Nope, I'm a complete and utter newbie to any sort of programming. But after spending a few short hours with Visual Studio, it doesn't seem too bad. The thing is, I'm dabbling with some app thingy that's only for me and a few friends. There's no chance of ever getting it approved, but I'd like to see it on a real device...

hwalker84

Nope, I'm a complete and utter newbie to any sort of programming. But after spending a few short hours with Visual Studio, it doesn't seem too bad. The thing is, I'm dabbling with some app thingy that's only for me and a few friends. There's no chance of ever getting it approved, but I'd like to see it on a real device...
You can definitely test apps on your actual phone.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
You can definitely test apps on your actual phone.

you still need to pay the $99 fee which is nonsense. This is my #1 complaint against WP, the development should be open and accessible (like Windows) without being forced to go through Microsoft.

Raistlin

Van Mardigan shows you how to use the website on the phone, I don't know of any apps.

Yeah I've tried the web portal, but unfortunately it's not usable for me. The volume is defaulted low and I can't get it to adjust properly on a consistent basis. Not to mention the UI is crap on a small screen as well.

Too bad there aren't any apps. If I wasn't so lazy I'd try to make one. Ehhh ... maybe when I have some free time.

ElNino

Lifetime or yearly to publish?
Pretty sure it's yearly.

Also, I believe a developer account also allows you to run and publish games on the 360. As far as I know there isn't a separate Windows Phone-only account. For an Xbox dev account it seems like a pretty good deal (even if no one buys Indie games on the Xbox), but for just Win Phone I think it could be cheaper (although it is in line with what Apple charges I believe).

kehs

Banned
Pretty sure it's yearly.

Also, I believe a developer account also allows you to run and publish games on the 360. As far as I know there isn't a separate Windows Phone-only account. For an Xbox dev account it seems like a pretty good deal (even if no one buys Indie games on the Xbox), but for just Win Phone I think it could be cheaper (although it is in line with what Apple charges I believe).

Oh that's not bad then, I thought it basically amounted to being able to side load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom