• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

how do u get live feed in ur tile with Bing? The only option in the settings is "live tile: on". Is this shit designed for babies???

ok there's one headline that shows up in 48 font..sigh

What do you want it to do? I think most live tiles are designed to be aesthetically pleasing instead of providing information overload.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Holy shit is there any decent news app on windows mobile? Does anyone with a windows phone care about the news??? The tile options are always so shitty, or is this OS just dead??
Bing News among others for just news, and Nextgen Reader for RSS.

4725.jpg

So I got this awesome Frisbee and Phone Holder from the Microsoft Booth at a school event. Been using the phone holder to hold up my phone while I tested my app over the weekend.

Tomcat

I got a reply from microsoft uservoice that file manager exists on wp8. So as custom sms sounds and pasting on the dialer.

Is that for 8.1 or gdr3?

hadareud

The Translator
I hope they'll have a good look at the keyboard with 8.1. There's definitely a few improvements that can be made, most importantly that you can access numbers on the main keyboard. It's silly that you can't, makes it really slow to use. A few more special characters wouldn't be the worst idea either. All on the long press, of course.

I'd love to have Swype back, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Microsoft doesn't care about 3rd party keyboards.

IE is due a good upgrade too. The usual improvements (speed etc.) aside, it's time to upgrade the UI significantly. Quicker access to tabs and bookmarks are essential. The address bar can be hidden too, it's not like it adds anything to the proceedings. Gestures would be nice too - I love the forward and back swipe in W8.1, it makes browsing so much nicer, though I'm not sure it would translate all that well to the phone.

All of the main apps are due serious upgrades - curious what they'll do. Also, Music. Need I say more.

Surely it's time for some leaks soon. They can't possibly keep things under wraps until the end of February.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think comparing the month on month market share makes too much sense at this time of the year to be honest.

You have to think that there were significant hardware releases in September, so the amount of phones sold will be quite a bit higher than in the previous month.Year on year seems more useful in this case.

edit: wrote a faux-outraged post on Sky's user forum.

kharma45

I got a reply from microsoft uservoice that file manager exists on wp8. So as custom sms sounds and pasting on the dialer.

Is that for 8.1 or gdr3?

Custom SMS is GDR3, the rest however must be for 8.1 as well as this

LKPHEBT.jpg

14oMemi.png

I don't think comparing the month on month market share makes too much sense at this time of the year to be honest.

You have to think that there were significant hardware releases in September, so the amount of phones sold will be quite a bit higher than in the previous month.Year on year seems more useful in this case.

The only hardware release I can think of over here was the 1020 on the 25th.

Cipherr

I cant tell by the edit tag if you are serious or not, but if so I disagree. Nothing of major note really came out in September except Apples phones, and the Oct world share shows them losing marketshare in nearly all markets for Oct while WP gains.

This really cannot be ignored anymore. WP has put together several several months of worldwide marketshare gains in some cases while iOS drops. And in some cases Android drops too. Cant blame all of WP's gains on that October chart on Blackberry. When the fuck are sites going to start talking about this.

Milchjon

Sooo, the Venue 8 Pro is now pretty cheap in Germany too, and apparently an update improved the pen.

Does anyone here have one? Any impressions on how to use it with an external screen?

hadareud

The Translator
That's why I don't post there, if I can help it.

I remember the days when the gaming side was actually an interesting place to get news and to discuss them.

edit: seems my thread title wasn't catchy enough :(

this_guy

Have you guys seen the Geico commerical with the pig (in a blanket) checking his Geico app on his phone? When the camera shows the phone, it's a Windows Phone with the Geico app running, but I don't see a Geico app in the app store.

hadareud

The Translator
Mary Jo Foley says that WP8.1 will be released some time during Q2 2014.

Lastflowers, come here. I will have to slap you hard in Microsoft's stead.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mary Jo Foley says that WP8.1 will be released some time during Q2 2014.

Lastflowers, come here. I will have to slap you hard in Microsoft's stead.

I'm cool with that, its right around the one year mark for my 1020, so I wouldn't be looking at new phones until then. Of course, that means that we should all expect some truly innovative features and a humongous upgrade, bigger than anything we've seen from either apple or google this year (although that's not a particularly high bar).

I expect a big screen iPhone next year, and a big step up in camera tech for apple as well. So WP Blue needs to bring some major new features plus all of the catchup stuff, or I could be gone. I'm not sure there is anything google can do to lure me to android though.

Tomcat

I'm cool with that, its right around the one year mark for my 1020, so I wouldn't be looking at new phones until then. Of course, that means that we should all expect some truly innovative features and a humongous upgrade, bigger than anything we've seen from either apple or google this year (although that's not a particularly high bar).

I expect a big screen iPhone next year, and a big step up in camera tech for apple as well. So WP Blue needs to bring some major new features plus all of the catchup stuff, or I could be gone. I'm not sure there is anything google can do to lure me to android though.

Sorry but for lenses size does matter. So unless apple makes the new iPhone with a bump (not likely at all) then you should forget that their new iPhone will be competitive with the 1020. The 1020 and its succesor won't be touched from iPhone on photography. I can bet you on that.

ElNino

Who cares about that thread.

Q2 guys fucking slow ass Q2!
Doesn't Microsoft's 2014 Q2 end in December? There's no way we are getting it in the next month though, so I guess it could be calendar quarter (if there is any truth at all to it).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sorry but for lenses size does matter. So unless apple makes the new iPhone with a bump (not likely at all) then you should forget that their new iPhone will be competitive with the 1020. The 1020 and its succesor won't be touched from iPhone on photography. I can bet you on that.

I agree, but I'm scared about how the Nokia hardware team will react to being absorbed by Microsoft. The 1020 is an engineering marvel, will MS give then the flexibility to make a proper successor, even if they have to do something crazy like re-write the imaging stack for Qualcomm? Which they did for the 1020.

f0lken

I agree, but I'm scared about how the Nokia hardware team will react to being absorbed by Microsoft. The 1020 is an engineering marvel, will MS give then the flexibility to make a proper successor, even if they have to do something crazy like re-write the imaging stack for Qualcomm? Which they did for the 1020.

I hope MS allows them to make a 1020 successor. MS needs it in the same way Sony uses its artsy games (ICO, Journey, etc), they won't set the charts on fire, but give legitimacy to their platforms and set them apart from competitors

hadareud

The Translator
There would be no point in buying Nokia if they weren't planning to play to their existing strengths, at least initially.

They will release a successor to the 1020. OR ELSE!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those crazy Nokia hardware guys had the leverage to force MS to make platform changes before they wanted to. Like 2gb RAM.

Brian Klug-AmandTech said:
One of my big questions when I heard that 41 MP PureView tech was coming to Windows Phone was what the silicon implementation would look like, since essentially no smartphone SoCs out of box support a 41 MP sensor, certainly none of the ones Windows Phone 8 GDR2 currently supports. With the PureView 808, Nokia used a big dedicated ISP made by Broadcom to do processing. On the Lumia 1020, I was surprised to learn there is no similar dedicated ISP (although my understanding is that it was Nokia’s prerogative to include one), instead Nokia uses MSM8960 silicon for ISP. Obviously the MSM8960 is only specced for up to 20 MP camera support, Nokia’s secret sauce is making this silicon support 41 MP and the PureView features (oversampling, subsampling, lossless on the fly zoom) through collaboration with Qualcomm and rewriting the entire imaging stack themselves. I would not be surprised to learn that parts of this revised imaging solution run on Krait or Hexagon DSP inside 8960 to get around the limitations of its ISP. I suspect the Lumia 1020 includes 2 GB of LPDDR2 partly to accommodate processing those 41 MP images as well. Only with the next revision of Windows Phone (GDR3) will the platform get support for MSM8974 [new Snapdragon 800 Quad Krait¹] which out of box supports up to 55 MP cameras."

I think MS would say "just stick a 20mp sensor and be done with it" rather than allowing this ridiculously ambitious craziness.

hadareud

The Translator
Don't know about that. Weren't they talking up the work they did together with Nokia to get it done?

Doubt they'd have invested this much effort into something they'd nuke themselves if done internally.

But who knows. They have to prove it first for us to believe it, that's for sure.

MCD

I reckon that MS will abandon 41MP till it becomes the "norm" in the industry considering the poor sales of 1020.

catmincer

FWIW the 1020 is sold out here in New Zealand. True only one carrier had it but still, selling out is a good thing. It's been pretty high demand too and it's priced ridiculously high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom