• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter '08 Anime(h) Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FnordChan

Man, anime(h) is right: this season isn't exactly setting anyone's world on fire. However, I seem to recall previous winter seasons being pretty similar, so this isn't really anything new. Here's what caught my eye:

rosario.jpg

Rosario + Vampire - You can tell it's a slow season when I'm taking a chance on goofy moe-bait shounen comedy. I feel so dirty.

haten-kouyugi.jpg

Hatenkou Yugi - Based on manga released in the US by Tokyopop as "Dazzle", here's what AnimeOnDVD has to say: "A young girl named Rahzel is abruptly sent off to see the world by her father. She is alone on her journey... until she meets Alzeido, a mysterious lone traveler on a mission to find his father's killer. Even though they initially don't get along, the two become travel partners, helping each other on their respective journey. Little by little, Alzeido opens his heart to Rahzel. They meet various people throughout their travels, including some with rather sinister intentions..." Hrm. Maybe I'll flip through the comic down at the bookstore.

zenryoku.jpg

Zenryoku Usagi - It's about a rabbit doing construction work. Okay, sure, I'll watch that.

major4.jpg

Major 4th Season - I'm not sure why I haven't gotten around to watching any major yet, but considering my weakness for sports manga and the lack of must-see shows this season, I reckon this is my cue to try out the series.

persona.jpg

Persona: Trinity Soul - It's not that I didn't like Persona 3 - it's my favorite release this year - or that the creative team looks incompetant - they've got a decent, if uninspired track record, and the guy in charge of series compisition worked on Bible Black which is a recommendation if ever I've heard one. (Okay, so I'm not serious about the Bible Black thing.) It's just that game to anime adaptations generally suck, so I'm not real optamistic. We'll see.

zetsubou2.jpg

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei - With the caveat that I haven't gotten around to the second half of the first series, this looks to be one of the highlights of the season. Hurray for more black comedy about neurosis and suicide!

shigofumi.jpg

Shigofumi: Stories of Last Letter - I'm not really sure what to make of this. I was turned off by the look of the main character - if she's young and has wings alarms start going off - but the creative team is interesting, with direction by the guy who did Cat Soup, Nadesico, and Stellvia and the series composition by someone who worked on Azumanga, Code Geass, King Gainer, Planetes, and RahXephon. Also, the trailer looks intriguing. Could be the season's wild card.

spice-wolf.jpg

Spice and Wolf - From a description I found: "Lawrence is a traveling merchant who finds a 600 year old pagan deity/wolf girl named Horo in his wagon one night. She begins traveling with him, and her wisdom helps increase his profits. But her true nature draws unwanted attention from the church..." Huh. Might be okay, might be dull. Faced with slim pickings I'm willing to give it a shot.

noramimi.jpg

Noramimi - Now, this is surreal. From ANN: "A world where mascots aren't just marketing tools. Families contact mascot agencies, to find a suitable one for their children. This story focuses on one such agency, which has its very own mascot: Noramimi, the syrup-stirring Kaminari Kozo (Lightning Kid)." Sure, what the hell.

yatterman.jpg

Yatterman - While you've gotta admire a revival that has the original director and a solid scriptwriter behind it and just drips goofy retro style, at the end of the day Yatterman is still a kid's show. Worth checking out, but keep in mind that absolutely no one here is the target audience for this.

mnemosyne.jpg

Mnemosyne - Excuse me, I have to drool over the main character a bit before I can go on. Yowsa! Right, sorry about that. Per ANN: "The official website has opened for the latest animation project from the studio Xebec (Martian Successor Nadesico, Fafner, Heroic Age): the Mnemosyne - Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi "hard-boiled science fiction action" series. The story revolves around a Tokyo woman named Rin, an assassin named Laura that is hunting her down, and the series of bizarre incidents involving angel-like creatures. Popular visual novel game illustrator Chūō Higashiguchi (Phantom of Inferno) created the original character designs, and Hiroshi Ohnogi (Gundam, Macross, Noein) is writing the scripts. The anime's director Shigeru Ueda is best known for Elemental Gelade and Tales of Symphonia." Okay, so the director isn't amazing, but the scriptwriter is pretty great and I'm all for violent SF OVA series where the main character has glasses and huge knockers. Yes, I'm shallow.

And there you have it. My picks for new shows (with mild reservations for each) are Persona, Mnemosyne, and Shigofumi; they've all got potential but there's an element of each that makes me a bit dubious. For ongoing shows, Major 4 and Zetsubou 2 should be solid continuations if you're already a fan; I'm going to see about getting on the Major bandwagon myself and I really need to catch up with Zetsubou-sensei. Zenryoku Usagi, Noramimi, and Yatterman aren't as likely to get subbed as the more standard fare, but you never know; I'm particularly curious about Noramimi. Finally, Rosario + Vampire, Spice and Wolf, and Hatenkou Yugi all look like pretty standard fare, but I'm hoping one of them might surprise me.

FnordChan

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Fnordchan said:
zenryoku.jpg

Zenryoku Usagi - It's about a rabbit doing construction work. Okay, sure, I'll watch that.
I don't care if someone tags me as Fnordchan's bitch-in-command, but he's got it right with this anime. This pic just screams quality.

Defuser

Ugh,Kimikiss ep11 was kinda vomit inducing with those 2 pipsqueak girls with the frogs,makes me want to punch them.Overall,it's typically cheesy and corny with some very very slow development.

Edit: btw,Rental Magica ep11,since when the president is able to do kungfu haxx with all that dodging and palm of death.

I quit Major after last season. It's not a realistic show yet it's so
anti-climatic

Greatness Gone said:
Speaking of dramas, how was the Sexy Voice and Robo one?
I've not read the manga so i don't know how it compares, but I liked the drama. It's not must see though. It leans a lot on melancholy, and the actor who plays Robo is kind of young. I thought it was a good portrayal, good enough that I've seen him in a movie and only saw Robo.

Supposedly they got the director that did the Nodame drama.
Ikuta Toma? You can count me in.

You can count me in too. HanaKimi was awesome, as was Nodame.

Enron

Banned
speedpop said:
Persona may get a look, but other than that the only thing worth watching for the next few months will be the Tokyo Marble Chocolate OVA.

5900.jpg

Spring '08 will be far superior just because of Real Drive.

6723.jpg

And Ma-fukkin'-cross, bitch! Everyone hold on till spring!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I know I should be spewing this in the last season thread, but I think it deserves to be put in here regardless.

Oh! Edo Rocket fansubs has finally been completed and I highly recommend everyone to watch it - you've got no excuse now since 1-26 is done and over. I grabbed it on a whim a week or so ago whilst drinking after remembering Bebpo among others praising this and the quality in each episode was great. Closest thing I can pin it on is maybe Samurai Pizza Cats in terms of crazy hijinks and setting (minus the cat heroes and junk), but it is shitloads better.

Yasser

there's a subtitled trailer for persona: trinity soul out now, the art design looks kinda bland/generic but hey, it's persona

Enron

Banned
7Th said:
Mai-Cross Destiny is more like it.

7Th
The John Dunbar of Anime
(12-18-2007, 06:20 PM)

!

Also, Gurren-Lagann fandom automatically nullifies opinions. G-L is more Gainax dogshit but hey, fanboys lap it up. Just like every other overrated Gainax piece of crap!

Ha! How bout them apples!

And before anyone quotes my tag I HATE YOU SHOUTA THIS TAG IS A LIE

7Th

Enron said:
7Th
The John Dunbar of Anime

!

Also, Gurren-Lagann fandom automatically nullifies opinions. G-L is more Gainax dogshit but hey, fanboys lap it up. Just like every other overrated Gainax piece of crap!

Such an overwhelming irony...

Genshiken 11 was great as always.

Yoko from Gurren Lagann Cosplay by Ohno! One cool thing about the anime is how it has reference of newer anime, there was a Lucky Star line also (according to the note).

and it seems like they are going to do a S3 or have OVAs if they dont finish it next episode, they kind of hinted that there will be more.

Jason

So Moyashimon is finished. :( At least it didn't end with a cliffhanger or differently from the manga. I doubt we'll see a second season anytime soon as the series covered 4 volumes and #6 is due out in february.

Also, anyone else watch minami-ke 11? Non-stop laughs. :lol :lol

7Th

Jason said:
So Moyashimon is finished. :( At least it didn't end with a cliffhanger or differently from the manga. I doubt we'll see a second season anytime soon as the series covered 4 volumes and #6 is due out in february.

The show got consistent excellent ratings as per usual in the Noitamina slot, I'm hoping to see a sequel down the road.

Jason

I thiiiiink they hinted at it at the end of the episode (but I could be hearing things and my Japanese kinda stinks).

Enron

Banned
Linkzg said:
Enron
#1 Steel Angel Kurumi Fan & Definitely has better taste than you!
(Today, 09:31 AM)

if its a lie, then so be it.

It is a lie! but only the part about the Kurumi.

Which i see is gone now....oh well, new tag at least better than the old one!

Linkzg said:
Genshiken 11 was great as always.

Yoko from Gurren Lagann Cosplay by Ohno! One cool thing about the anime is how it has reference of newer anime, there was a Lucky Star line also (according to the note).

and it seems like they are going to do a S3 or have OVAs if they dont finish it next episode, they kind of hinted that there will be more.

I don't think they'll do a s3. All the other stories after the camping trip are all fillers in the manga. The only ones that aren't are the
graduation and textless chapters
in the manga. I can definitely see 2-3 ovas ending the series. It would make sense to have a new years one(since the new year is coming and they had a new year chapter in the manga)

Also, anyone else watch minami-ke 11? Non-stop laughs.

I was laughing hysterically when the brother went to the girls house. :lol

Cloudy

Banned
I was gonna buy it for $30 at Best Buy the other day but I'll snag this, thanks. Very good show IMO. Very good character development with a wide range of emotions expressed.

The music is great too :D

Busaiku

Well, with HiguKai over, can't say I'm sad to see it go. Liked the first series a lot more. Though
Akasaka
was still great in the 22nd episode.
Not really anticipating the 3rd series.

Dave1988

Enron said:
7Th
The John Dunbar of Anime

!

Enron
the mother effin' Peon of
SHITTACULAR TASTE
(12-17-2007, 02:36 PM)
Reply | Quote

THIS should be your tag.

Zetsubou S2 for me. Noramimi and Zenryoku Usagi look bizarre enough to be fun. And -

FnordChan said:
Mnemosyne - Excuse me, I have to drool over the main character a bit before I can go on.
Yeeeeessssssss.

Other than that, it's time to keep catching up on things.

Anybody know how Hakaba Kitarou is related to Gegege no Kitarou?

Pellham

Banned
Cloudy said:
I was gonna buy it for $30 at Best Buy the other day but I'll snag this, thanks. Very good show IMO. Very good character development with a wide range of emotions expressed.

The music is great too :D

Wait what, a Kiminozo OVA? It's not that shitty A**** Maniax retitled as such, as it?

edit: wtf why is that name censored? :lol

Rightstuf is selling it for $20 if anyone's interested.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...em/77025/4/0/0

Ouch, $20 for the entire series? Oh well I did my job as a fan and bought each DVD when they came out (even though I had already seen the fansubs multiple times years ago).

Jason

it's part of their christmas sale. there's a few good deals to be had (eureka 7 for $90 for instance).

ends on the 25th i think.

I would use this thread to discuss the 08 Winter anime season, but none of the shows interest me. Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask my question in this thread. You know a season is shitty when a thread has only grown to three pages this far into it...

I'm a really huge fan of anime like Paranoia Agent (and all things Kon). I loved Ghost in the Shell: SAC and I rank it up there with some of the best life action television/movies I've ever seen. I am looking for anime that is similar to those two shows. Death Note is mildly interesting to me, but it seems a bit too talky to me in some episodes. Thanks in advance.

Novid

Banned
Lets see:

Rosario + Vampire...UGH. And there planning a PSP game for it too...

Hatenkou Yugi- so wait a sec, your going to the states for insperation now? are you that damn desprate? TOKYOPOP is a damn shame...

Zenryoku Usagi- A kiddie series. Why this one isnt getting licenced by our masters over at FCC and the AMPTP for E/I consedrations i have no idea.

Major 4th Season- WHERE have you been! YEAH ******!

Persona: Trinity Soul- From Bible Black (which i heard ended) to...the actual genre that had the infuence for the hentai. I love the Tensei series of games but Have not played two nor three so before I see this i will get my hands on one of those...this could be a sleeper...as long as we dont see no TrannySuprises.

Spice and Wolf- What i miss in some anime...Girls with Fox/Cat/Bunny/Snake ears. but I dont know about this...

Noramimi- This (im not sure...I could be wrong) is the first anime the Japanese CBC has aired since Kirby back in 2000... this looks...inspried by the REPLACEMENTS...but might have something diffent.

Yatterman- Somebody say "Moose and Squrrel?" yes, and i loved the series. Good to see that everybody from the old series will be doing there voices for the new one. Sad to say that Dorojo wont go semi-nude (its a 2000 era kids series not a late 70's Go-Nagai inspried kids series.) but this would bring back old memories.

Mnemosyne- WHAT KnJ should have been. Older "Rin", assassins, no school shit, blood to the hilt, boobies, angels and devils, hard sci-fi, boobies, girls with guns, non sucky male supporting roles...did i forget boobies?:D

Pachael

LTTP on Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei - instantly sold once I came to the realisation that he did the awesome Katte ni Kaizō. So moar of that please

Busaiku

Novid said:
Spice and Wolf- What i miss in some anime...Girls with Fox/Cat/Bunny/Snake ears. but I dont know about this...
Wolf & Spice is pretty good.
Going by the manga, it feels similar to series like Mushishi and Kino's Journey.
Doesn't really focus much on her look (more on her existence).
Don't know how the anime will turn out though.

Koshiba

Well I'm late with this but after seeing the 4th season of Major coming out, I decided to give Major a try. I'm really impressed so far, it's very enjoyable. I just finished up the first season. :D

jman2050

So Central-Anime has been churning out Oofuri episodes like crazy. They've already caught up (and passed) Saizen today with 13 AND 14 :D

Good episodes too.
Mihashi's mom is awesome, and it's pretty nice to see the parents all huddled together supporting the team. I'm also liking how the game of baseball is presented in this series, the amount of thought and strategy that goes into it, and most of all, how even the most lucrative opportunities can turn up nothing. On a related note, it's nice to see that despite Tajima being lauded as this high-average hitting super athlete, he can still get owned by a well-developed pitch. Element of surprise? Or perhaps a weakness? Let's see :)

Jason

Anyone else watch that Mnemosyne trailer? Started off intriguing then trailed off into WTF territory. Snip snip.

jman2050

Jason said:
Anyone else watch that Mnemosyne trailer? Started off intriguing then trailed off into WTF territory. Snip snip.

I am both horrified and aroused by that trailer.

I mean, more than usual.

Enron

Banned
Dave1988 said:
Enron
the mother effin' Peon of
SHITTACULAR TASTE
(12-17-2007, 02:36 PM)
Reply | Quote

THIS should be your tag.

another G-L fan all butthurt that someone doesnt like that overrated piece of crap? Gurren-Lagann is to GAF what Air is to Animesuki!

7Th

Enron said:
another G-L fan all butthurt that someone doesnt like that overrated piece of crap? Gurren-Lagann is to GAF what Air is to Animesuki!

"Hi! My name in Enron and I like to make generically controversial statements without any foundation even when they're completely unrelated to the topic in question. Don’t try arguing against me, I won’t listen anyway!"

jman2050 said:
So Central-Anime has been churning out Oofuri episodes like crazy. They've already caught up (and passed) Saizen today with 13 AND 14 :D

Good episodes too.
Mihashi's mom is awesome, and it's pretty nice to see the parents all huddled together supporting the team. I'm also liking how the game of baseball is presented in this series, the amount of thought and strategy that goes into it, and most of all, how even the most lucrative opportunities can turn up nothing. On a related note, it's nice to see that despite Tajima being lauded as this high-average hitting super athlete, he can still get owned by a well-developed pitch. Element of surprise? Or perhaps a weakness? Let's see :)

It's good to see someone else subbing, especially at a quicker pace, but the video encode isn't so hot. I watched the h264 version and it was on the blurry side.

I've already watched all the RAWS, and can say it's a great show.
I agree about the presentation of the game in the show. It was awesome hearing the horns after Izumi got on base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom