• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come now, the premise of the show itself is targeted straight for otaku.

I don't really think it's pandering.

It's a subject matter that is of interest to otaku, but that's not really the same thing from pandering, which has different connotations altogether. For that matter, pandering suggests something cynically being made for the purposes of bringing in a certain demographic, whereas Shirobako on every level just feels like a genuine production being made by people who really feel passionately about the subject matter.

Jarmel

Banned

It's a subject matter that is of interest to otaku, but that's not really the same thing from pandering, which has different connotations altogether. For that matter, pandering suggests something cynically being made for the purposes of bringing in a certain demographic, whereas Shirobako on every level just feels like a genuine production being made by people who really feel passionately about the subject matter.

I didn't say the premise of the show was pandering. I stated that it's targeted to otaku. The premise is largely oriented around attracting otaku who might be interested in seeing what goes into their favorite shows. Stuff like the young female faces, the stuttering animator, or Ms. Goth would be pandering.

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata 05
the only thing that makes this watchable
h2KWAdB.png

Tokyo Ghoul √A 06

cajunator

Banned

Completely agree.
gourmet Girls Graffiti is otaku pandering. Shirobako is informative. Both are great shows.
Shirobako does give a nod to shows like Initial D of course.

Jarmel

Banned
So just about every single anime is moe??

Well there is definitely some level of demand for 'flat faces' considering how pretty much most productions do it now.

The problem in Shirobako's case is that the facial designs, that actually look like humans, are in direct contrast with the nose-less cutesy faces of the young females. It's clearly intentional and it's distracting.

Shirobako 18

Tarou disappears at the end, right after mentioning that he is the type to run away if pressured. Damn, and the show was just starting to make me like him too.

pgtl_10

Although this old, I finished watching Freezing. Is it safe to say that the Nova are actually human beings or the that the Nova created humans?

/XX/

I didn't say the premise of the show was pandering. I stated that it's targeted to otaku. The premise is largely oriented around attracting otaku who might be interested in seeing what goes into their favorite shows. Stuff like the young female faces, the stuttering animator, or Ms. Goth would be pandering.
I think some of the exaggerated characters traits are used to convey more evidently and in a fun manner, for precisely any kind of viewer not in-the-know, what kind of "maladjusted" people can be on such a industry and how they exploit such potential or weaknesses for accomplishing teamwork in the end. Take into account that this could simple be signs of how a parody can enhance with this kind of amplified mocking a self-criticism in itself.

I admit they might do many things in favour of being more pleasant towards the viewer, as is also how most of this 'healing' show visits problems during production or between co-workers themselves that revolve around incompetence without clear signs of malice or over-competitiveness involved, all painted with a broad stroke of pervasive optimism to ultimately overcome annoyances.

That said, I'm not entirely satisfied with this art for the characters designs myself... but I think the good expressiveness is there when is wanted, and this is sufficient to me.

PK Gaming

Shirobako-18

I brought this up earlier but I'll elobarate a bit. I think it was a poor choice on the director's part to go with a flat 'moe' face for the girls. It stands out poorly when taken in context with the detailed male and older female faces, in that they look flat. The flat character designs might have worked if all the faces were done in a similar style. It breaks immersion at times just because it feels like such blatant pandering to otaku.

That art style you're referring to isn't exclusive to the girls. As you can see, the young, handsome men have a similar design schemes as well (hell, even Tarou does), which leads me to believe that its more of an age thing, rather than outright pandering. I'm pretty sure they stuck with a more realistic approach when designing the older characters, because it would look weird if they went with a more *anime* design. That, and they probably wanted to strike a contrast between the older and younger characters.

Re: Shirobako and pandering

It has some elements of it, but it's such an infinitesimally small amount, I would hardly classify as "blatant". Like Ms. Goth girl for instance. You're correctabout her design, but even then, they managed to cleverly use her design as a springboard for her backstory.

Jex

Are you watching YYH for this reason, or just going through it for fun?

I ask because I would really like it if someone more eloquent than me would write about the influence of Stardust Crusaders on the Sensui Arc.

Partly for fun, partly to see Shinbo actually direct anime!

Jarmel

Banned
That art style you're referring to isn't exclusive to the girls. As you can see, the young, handsome men have a similar design schemes as well (hell, even Tarou does), which leads me to believe that its more of an age thing, rather than outright pandering. I'm pretty sure they stuck with a more realistic approach when designing the older characters, because it would look weird if they went with a more *anime* design. That, and they probably wanted to strike a contrast between the older and younger characters.

Re: Shirobako and pandering

It has some elements of it, but it's such an infinitesimally small amount, I would hardly classify as "blatant". Like Ms. Goth girl for instance. You're correctabout her design, but even then, they managed to cleverly use her design as a springboard for her backstory.

Males generally have more prominent noses.

Obviously angles should be taken into consideration but males, in the same age brackets as the younger females, definitely do have drawn noses(and not those rhino ones) a good chunk of the time.

Edit:Even in shots where Tarou's nose isn't fully drawn, he has two nostril holes compared to Aoi's one(which I don't even think is a hole but a dot to denote her nose).

PK Gaming

Perhaps, but my point was that many of the younger male characters are still drawn to look extremely appealing. There's still a huge disparity between the younger and older characters, (nose aside) and I don't think they're that far behind in terms pandering than the younger female characters. It's anecdotal, but the insane popularity of Endou and some of the other males on tumblr and speaks to that.

cajunator

Banned
Well there is definitely some level of demand for 'flat faces' considering how pretty much most productions do it now.

The problem in Shirobako's case is that the facial designs, that actually look like humans, are in direct contrast with the nose-less cutesy faces of the young females. It's clearly intentional and it's distracting.

Hasnt that been the case for well over 3 decades?

Jarmel

Banned
Perhaps, but my point was that many of the younger male characters are still drawn to look extremely appealing. There's still a huge disparity between the younger and older characters, (nose aside) and I don't think they're that far behind in terms pandering than the younger female characters. It's anecdotal, but the insane popularity of Endou and some of the other males on tumblr and speaks to that.

The problem isn't so much that the girls are attractive. It has to do with how the lack of noses, or really any sort of depth in the face, gives the facial animation a flat appearance compared to everyone else, including people in their same age bracket.

Hasnt that been the case for well over 3 decades?

Oh it's not the only anime with this problem. I never implied that was the case either. It's more distracting though than the usual anime because the animators clearly did try with the peripheral characters. It's a similar problem of contrast ala Fate/Stay Night's character designs.

jgminto

As somebody who hasn't watched the show, I'd say the problem with Shirobako's female designs is that they all look so similar, a common issue with a lot of PA Works shows but it seems to only be affecting the main female cast this time. Even in those few shots, the younger male characters are presented with different facial styles and features.

cajunator

Banned
Just seems to me like anime generally wants to make females have diminutive noses. Its a beauty thing.
males do have more prominent noses but it just looks odd in anime to see males with tiny noses.
I have to admit you guys have been more bothered by this than any other anime fanbase I have seen. Its just interesting I guess.

PK Gaming

The problem isn't so much that the girls are attractive. It has to do with how the lack of noses, or really any sort of depth in the face, gives the facial animation a flat appearance compared to everyone else, including people in their same age bracket.

But wasn't your original point that they were drawn like that precisely because they tried to pander to Otakus? Even if the handsome men have more defined noses, they still look incredible different compared to the older men, and stick out as a result. Which would mean (in your words) that they tried to pander with them as well.

And if it's a question of pandering, I think the bishie men look pretty damn attractive/more attractive than the girls. I have some fujoshi's on speed dial who can corroborate that claim as well.

Jarmel

Banned
As somebody who hasn't watched the show, I'd say the problem with Shirobako's female designs is that they all look so similar, a common issue with a lot of PA Works shows but it seems to only be affecting the main female cast this time. Even in those few shots, the younger male characters are presented with different facial styles and features.

I would have to look at collage of all the females to really determine this but yea I guess you could say it's also a 'same-face' issue.

But wasn't your original point that they were drawn like that precisely because they tried to pander to Otakus? Even if the handsome men have more defined noses, they still look incredible different compared to the older men, which would mean that they tried to pander with them as well.

And if it's a question of pandering, I think the bishie men look pretty damn attractive/more attractive than the girls. I have some fujoshi's on speed dial who can corroborate that claim as well.

Right, that sort of character design with a lack of a nose for females is definitely 'in'.

cajunator

Banned
I would have to look at collage of all the females to really determine this but yea I guess you could say it's also a 'same-face' issue.

Right, that sort of character design with a lack of a nose for females is definitely 'in'.

Same face IS a valid point. This studio is lazy when it comes to facial design.
most studios just change the eye shape though and call it a different character.

The Idol Master 24

Miki has the best character development from a sea of archetypal characters. There is a lot of hand holding with a character's younger self.

Oreshura - Episode 1

So I was convinced to watch this show from some friends of mine, didn't quite know what to expect other than the pretty silver haired girl. Seems Like a fun slice of life show after an episode. Eita is a bit boring to begin with, but with his "Note" in the possession of the Hime, seems a lot will be added to his character.

Will continue watching.

Dresden

The girls in Shirobako are def designed to be cuter than the boys. It's not exactly above pandering to nerds, either. Their actual usage in the show is distant from the advertising, though, and I don't think it's a big deal.

What should be a big deal is that Shirobako continues modern anime's ignorance of proper noses and shading and as a result the quality of the designs are greatly diminished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom