• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Part 4 really all that different from "Stand of the Week" though?

I don't really want to talk too much about it too much, but I guess this isn't the OT JoJo thread.

It has a lot more slice of life bits, instead of being like a SNES Beat Em Up where you advance to the next level/boss after the last one is over.

You're right, this story about dead people playing twisted bar games in purgatory to determine the fate of their souls had totally unrealistic acting! I thought it would have been more restrained!

Yeah, given his situation, an emotional meltdown seemed natural to me. Hell, only the "you are actually dead" was enough, never mind the sadistic game or their eventual fates or the surprise twist with his wife.

Death Parade 1

It looked great, visually. That's Madhouse for you, and of course being the first episode always help, we can imagine maybe next eps will have a bit less budget.

The opening is great, but also hilariously clashing in tone with the episode itself. It seemed very in style of other openings of anime SoL of workers in a cafe/restaurant like Soredemo Machi or Working!.

The premise is the same as the one we knew from the OVA, in fact it follows mostly the same structure as it likes to put a twist in the end to the nature of the characters, and keep you guessing. But to be honest, I think I liked better the original story, though this was serviceable enough as a first story to explain the system for newcomers.

Apart from the episodic part, I suspect the story will follow the "staff" girl with the long black hair. Surely, there is hidden choice or small possibility when your reach the place, apart from going to Heaven / Hell, and it's to stay in the purgatory and be an "arbiter".
She seemed new to the "job", so following the story through her eyes allow us to appreciate everything as new, as it's her case. She appears more in the opening with "Ginko", who will play the mentor role, indicating her importance, and there is a scene where "Ginko" takes her with the threads like he did with the guy in this ep. Also, she is hot, which helps cement her status as important character.
Actually, most of the waiters were kind of hot / attractive or at least cute or interesting looking:
IeWK3NU.jpg

Gazoinks

Death Parade 1

Haha what is that OP. It's good, it's just completely out of tone.

I enjoyed this! It was pretty much exactly what I was expecting: An expansion on the OVA. I'm curious what they'll do with the episode that don't seem to be about the actual games. Looks like we're focusing on the long-haired girl as the semi-outsider (with normal eyes, even).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is Part 4 really all that different from "Stand of the Week" though?

I say so yes while josuke and his friends do encounter a variety of stand users, it's more random crazy person encountered in everyday life that obtain a stand which amplifies that problem, but many of the stories would "work" if the stand wasn't there. There also isn't half as many random occurrences of people, animals etc with stands turning up.

It also starts much stronger and ends well so only really meanders in the middle which i mostly character focused that a fairly important to the story.

Steins;Gate 4

Rintaro spends most of the episode searching for a IBN 5100 while I search up more information about the IBN 5100.

I have to say, what makes the show for me 4 episodes in is not just the intrigue but also the way the characters interact with one another. The way that Rintaro interacts with Makise for example gives the characters more personality and is entertaining to watch.

Also Ruka may be the prettiest boy I've seen in all of anime.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 25

Worst opening.
Missing? ending, I hope next episode have a proper song.

The episode was fine. A new character, or at least "character", some humor, an the author being what his is best at: being imaginative: So the enemy isn't a normal guy but a blind one, who can "see" them through vibrations and that way can direct the stand without LoS, the stand power has a nice theme for the scene (water attacking them in the desert),which can attack with a claw, cut like a sword or just move like water in the ground, transform the sand in quicksand, etc. In general, there is nice sense of unpredictability in the situation.

Beefeater

Banned

Not biased, nope not at all.

Seriously though, if you're a fan of 60's style Tezuka-inpired art design and characters/storytelling, only animated with a big 80's/90's OVA budget and a masterful orchestral score, it's a must watch. Falls just short of being a masterpiece, mostly due to the ending.

jgminto

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 25

Worst opening.
Missing? ending, I hope next episode have a proper song.

The episode was fine. A new character, or at least "character", some humor, an the author being what his is best at: being imaginative: So the enemy isn't a normal guy but a blind one, who can "see" them through vibrations and that way can direct the stand without LoS, the stand power has a nice theme for the scene (water attacking them in the desert),which can attack with a claw, cut like a sword or just move like water in the ground, transform the sand in quicksand, etc. In general, there is nice sense of unpredictability in the situation.

It had the proper song. It's "Last Train Home".

Koufuku Graffiti - 01

This is so comfy. Ryou so far is pretty bland, except when she's eating. She just want to make good food and is bothered her food doesn't taste as it used to and wants to make her grandma proud.
Now this is where her unknown second cousin Senjougahara Kirin comes in, an exciting and spralling short girl who want some real goddamn food and not some shitty ass grass she's used to getting. She's a great counterpart to Ryou and is adorable (I'm pretty sure her handbag is some sort of sausage).

Most of this episode consisted of introducing Kirin to her new environment and develop a relationship with Ryou, though there was still some time dedicated to consuming food.
There's still one more main character that needs introduction, and we only saw a glimpse of her now. This will definetly be my wind down animu.

Assassination Classroom - 01

Splendid performance of Koro-sensei in an episode that get the job done of explaining the setting and some of the personnalities at work
Assassination%20Classroom%20-%2001.jpg

Mach 20 ! That's serious business.
Ending scene/song was nice , Opening song was alright too , but i'm not sure about the dance... but forget it !! it was fun !!

Good episode , the adaptation is Good/great so far let's hope it stays that way

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS - 01

This was incredibly well made. I’m surprised and excited at how they’re taking a serious, more mature approach to this installment in contrast to our 765 girls. I was bracing myself to be overwhelmed with idol introductions (and trying to find my girl Kaede among them) but instead we were only introduced to Uzuki and the Producer, learning about both of them bit by bit as the show progressed until Rin’s arrival during the halfway point. Regarding the producer, I have mixed feelings. I feel that his gloomy/scary nature will be overplayed and kill my enjoyment of the show. Hell, if anything we should’ve gotten a female producer to act as a fairy godmother for these girl’s desires to become idols considering the theme of the show. On the plus side, I so loved the relationship building between Uzuki and Rin. It’s obvious that they’re going to be this series’ Haruka and Chihaya OTP so I’m expecting big things from the two of them.

I was wondering what Kaede would be up to if she’s wasn’t in the initial main cast, but seeing how she’s already successful as hell I can’t be too mad. :lol

Can't wait for Mio!

Early Yu-gi-oh! is the most boss shit ever.
The Pharaoh dishing out cruel and unusual punishments to everyone.

Him getting the robber to burn himself alive (I think it was Chapter 4 in the manga) was the moment which made me a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan. That's such a great scene (and the trick behind it is awesome).

Gundam Build Fighters TRY - 13

HOT BLOODED ! enraging ! Engaging ! BURNING !

So Good.....
So Freaking GOOD.
Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20Try%20-%2013_01.jpg

Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20Try%20-%2013_02.jpg

Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20Try%20-%2013_03.jpg

Based Meijin !

That episode Was "excellent" .. The way those 3 kids were from : " he's holding back " to " We can't mesure those stats! " gave me a gigantic smile on my face. How can you not feel so over the top that you blew up the moon and explosed your fists while doing so ?

Just Great. So Great

I want to watch episode 14 !

Koufuku Graffiti 01

OP is fine, nothing special. Same with the ED.

It doesn't have the energy of Shokugeki no Soma, but the calmness of this has it's own appeal, I guess. It doesn't make me as hungry as I thought, but I could go for some Udon. I could go for some Udon at anytime, but hey.

I dunno if I'll watch the whole thing but it's okay. Preview is probably the best part.

Crocodile

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders 25

• This new OP SUCKS
  • So this is how Iggy joins? I thought he was a dog they found in Egypt. He is one wild/lazy motherfucker
  • They are really trying to convince me that these Speed Wagon reps are bad guys with these cuts and framing aren't they? Weird that they died a few minutes later to no fanfare :p
  • Just because they are out of Major Arcana I have no idea why Kakoyin is surprised to hear there are 10 more (there should be even more than that given what little I know about Jojo if I recall) Stand Users or why he would expect Dio's Stand to be The World (I mean he's right but that's beside the point). The Stand naming scheme continues to make no sense and I have no idea why Kakoyin would think there are only 22 Stand Users IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. This is besides the fact that the show has still failed to even elaborate where Stands come from or why they weren't in parts I and II (other than Araki didn't think of them yet :p)
  • This new Water Stand is pretty cool. Given the bad guy is tracking them using sound they may want to stop narrating every little thing but at least its to their advantage that he's using vibrations and is too far away to actually hear them :p
  • This new ED SUCKS
Overall glad to have Jojo back though I don't think this was the strongest of episodes.

Death Parade 1

OP seems wildly inappropriate LOL. Besides that I thought this episode was great. A retread of the OVA basically but I loved that so this was great as well, over the top acting and all :) It feels weird that they are mixing concepts from disparate religious traditions (Buddhism vs. Judeo-Christian) and I'm not sure I like that - I feels it muddies the final judgement. They both had their faults but it might have been a bit more interesting if it wasn't so obvious Husband = bad, Wife = good (or just less bad). Might have been better if they were closer in the middle. I also find it weird, similar to the original OVA, that they didn't try to fight the bartender. If you told me you I had to play this Death Game, unless you were armed, I think I would at least try to take a swing at the dude. He's basically threatening to kill me anyway right?

Kami-sama Hajimemashita 2nd Season - 01

Wait...are you cutting content from the manga ? Really ? The first human friend nanami made that really knew about the occult and you just cut her off from your anime ? REALLY ?

So 2 manga volumes of content are just ignored ... ok .... Problem is that now the reason why nanami wants to go to izumo is really dumb . Now we have some stupid dedication of "maybe tomoe wants to know about mikage whereabouts" ..WTF

Cutting content just annoy me.

We missed the change for "Angry nanami"

And what's with those production values ? Everything feels so poor . Can you tell me that this :
Kami-sama%20Hajimemashita%202nd%20Season%20-%2001.jpg

Lights : how do they work ?
Is ok ?

This isn't even censoring , there is nothing behind those huge light beams ! Who the hell is directing this second season ? What's the point if you're going to do a half-assed job ?

Heck , even the opening animation need work, feel so cheap ..
I haven't bought 16 volumes of this manga to forgive such delivery .

Death Parade 1

I also find it weird, similar to the original OVA, that they didn't try to fight the bartender. If you told me you I had to play this Death Game, unless you were armed, I think I would at least try to take a swing at the dude. He's basically threatening to kill me anyway right?

The husband does talk back against Decim and accost him before before and after the game begins, but the implication is that Decim's room of bodies and the game's power over their bodily pain intimidates him from making more aggressive attacks against Decim.

Crocodile

The husband does talk back against Decim and accost him before before and after the game begins, but the implication is that Decim's room of bodies and the game's power over their bodily pain intimidates him from making more aggressive attacks against Decim.

I can understand trepidation after the nature of the darts was demonstrated but after the display of corpses I think (or at least I would like to think :p) that some aggressive action would have been taken. They are being asked to play a "life or death" game. The penalty for not playing seems to be "death" as well. If you tell me I could die regardless if whether or not I do what you say, I feel strongly tempted to swing for the fences. Of course it wouldn't have amounted to anything but I think I would have at least tried unless the bartender had like a gun or sword in hand (i.e. its immediately obvious to my eyes I'd lose a fight). In that case, taking a chance with the game seems the better option. In the end I guess I'm nitpicking though?

e_i

Erotic Eating anime from SHAFT episode 1

I never thought watching someone eat would give me a boner. Anyway, full of hnnnnggggg and adorableness. Did her aunt just suggest she dress up with nothing but an apron to get a girl? Goddamn obasan! Well, this from Monthly Kirara, so it's a must watch. OP is lovely.

I really have to talk about this Opening because it's quite different than any Openings you see from any anime. It's really symbolic and the way they made it artistic was quite beautiful. The flowers, music, and the bizarre visuals all convey Kaneki's mental state of mind. His sadness, loneliness, and madness are all portrayed in this Opening. I've read all the current chapters of Tokyo Ghoul and I have to say Kaneki is one of the most tragic characters you'll see. So this Opening in my opinion fit's his character exactly. Also there's even more interesting things about this Opening. In the beginning you see hands with nail polish reaching for Kaneki's face, that end up putting his mask on. And whose hands are those, obviously Rize. Which symbolizes Kaneki embracing his Ghoul side. Then towards the middle we see hands without nail polish removing Kaneki's mask, that person is Touka. Which symbolizes Kaneki embracing his Human side. There's also this last interesting detail. We see Kaneki's left eye bleed which symbolizes his Ghoul side because of his Kakugan. Spoilers for anybody who hasn't read the manga.
Kaneki ends up getting his left eye stabbed out which represent his Ghoul side.
I feel this little detail may foreshadow something later on in the anime, but I could be wrong.

I understand why some people may dislike the Opening, but calling it trash is an overstatement. Especially if you don't take a close look at what the symbolism and even the lyrics are trying to covey. Anyways I may have written a lot just for an Opening, but I just find it unique and different compared to other Openings. Which is why I like it a lot.

Honestly, I can't think of examples off the top of my head but I'm pretty confident I've seen that style of slow-paced, centered single object/individual with events happening around him/her/it before. It's just generally reserved for EDs as some posters have indicated, and using it for OPs is... well, let's say it's the kind of move that can only come from confidence.

This is a really self-absorbed OP, and I feel that you have to really be drawn into/connect with Kaneki's 'struggle' as a character to resonate with it. Without that connection I think it'll largely just fall flat. Again, this is something you'd only put up if you were confident that you had your audience by the throat by this point, which isn't an unreasonable assumption.

TLDR it's extreme fanservice.

I can understand trepidation after the nature of the darts was demonstrated but after the display of corpses I think (or at least I would like to think :p) that some aggressive action would have been taken. They are being asked to play a "life or death" game. The penalty for not playing seems to be "death" as well. If you tell me I could die regardless if whether or not I do what you say, I feel strongly tempted to swing for the fences. Of course it wouldn't have amounted to anything but I think I would have at least tried unless the bartender had like a gun or sword in hand (i.e. its immediately obvious to my eyes I'd lose a fight). In that case, taking a chance with the game seems the better option. In the end I guess I'm nitpicking though?

Remember that they're trapped in the bar to begin with; even if they thought they could incapacitate Decim, there's a very low probability that they would be able to find a way out on their own. In that kind of situation, with Decim clearly having the upper hand, I'd play along with what he says unless a clear opportunity of gaining the advantage over him presented itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom