• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout Pure Classic Pack 1 is out

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
just finished it, the new track is ok. contains 1 new track, 2 music tracks and 1 new skin

unlike the other classic packs, this track is fully textured just like a regular track, and it looks very good. the track isnt too complex, has some turns and a jump...that's pretty much it. track is a bitch on phantom class though cause you can hit the ceiling if you actually hit the zippers at one particular part of the track. not as good as the gamma packs but it's ok

B-

oh, and the new music tracks are by Cold Storage and the new track is Altima VII. the new music streams from the stick during gameplay as the memory stick lights up throughout the race

Andy787

Banned
Holy shit. By the time I get a bigger memory stick and download all of the packs, I'll have like another entire game worth of content. Excellent.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Damn this is one of the best tracks I've ever seen.

There is also a new ship BTW. Goteki45

Edit. hey, anyone got the Goteki45 skin name to appear cut in the skin list?

Zeo

Banned
Er, maybe it's just me, but uh.. The Goteki or whatevre skin.. Only the top half of the name of the skin is shown in the skin list..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zeo said:
Er, maybe it's just me, but uh.. The Goteki or whatevre skin.. Only the top half of the name of the skin is shown in the skin list..

LOL, just edited about this. Same here

Zeo

Banned
Alright, here's a quick question for people with the Gamma Packs.

Is this also just me, or is it the same for everyone?

When you just highlight Gamma, on the right it gives you a preview and it says:

Exostra Run
Ubermall
Staten Park
Sebenco Peak

But when you enter it, the tracks are listed in a different order:

Staten Park
Sebenco Peak
Exostra Run
Ubermall

This is the only cup that does this I noticed. All the others are in order.

Just noticed. heh

Zeo said:

This happens to me too. Also the tracks are listed under Classic 2 for me. Weird.

Plus under the description for the pack before you select it to race it says a second batch of tracks....

sammy

God .... WipeoutPure kicks so much damn ass, seriously one of the better purchases I've ever made :D

I don't agree with the B- ....... more like an A 'cause there is actually a new vehicle that's a good design, and finally the newer skin is damn cool (god bless industrial yellow).
For those confused why it's under Classic Pack 2 ---- it's because all the Classic 1 tournament is unlocked after 50 gold-medals (I think)

The track is pretty ---- but nothin' outstanding right now, just a good start for a new tournament.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zeo said:
Alright, here's a quick question for people with the Gamma Packs.

Is this also just me, or is it the same for everyone?

When you just highlight Gamma, on the right it gives you a preview and it says:

Exostra Run
Ubermall
Staten Park
Sebenco Peak

But when you enter it, the tracks are listed in a different order:

Staten Park
Sebenco Peak
Exostra Run
Ubermall

This is the only cup that does this I noticed. All the others are in order.

Just noticed. heh

Same here. Nothing major.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, that track was kinda easy. I'm out of practice, not having played regularly in months, (or even booted it up since the last update), but I finished it with the Feiser car with like a 10 second lead!

Mejilan

Not a big fan of the red. :)

What are the names of the two Cold Storage songs? Do you know?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm not sure I understand what's the point of wasting team resources to stuff like this or the Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Pack unless you can cash on it or it makes the game considerably better (Halo 2). Hard to imagine the Wipeout stuff, however generous, would make the game so much more attractive that the increase in sales would offset the cost.

Mejilan

Dunno, but it's a fucking awesome thing to do for the existing community. I'm not all that thrilled with the game (it's certainly a competent racer, and leagues better than WO Fusion), but THIS aspect of the game greatly appeals to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Oh, just realized the Cold Storage songs aren't new. :/
But still great songs, they raised the soundtrack quality by a lot. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chittagong said:
I'm not sure I understand what's the point of wasting team resources to stuff like this or the Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Pack unless you can cash on it or it makes the game considerably better (Halo 2). Hard to imagine the Wipeout stuff, however generous, would make the game so much more attractive that the increase in sales would offset the cost.
By the time they're done, they'll have basically doubled the amount of content in WiP. Sorry if that doesn't meet your specific criteria for "considerably better" but its certainly appreciated by some of us as much as the likes of the Halo 2 updates.

Work like this certainly could apply as a dry run for a world of microtransactions that Sony and MS supposedly want to move toward - getting an idea of interest levels (% of game userbase that takes advantage of the DLC), support infrastructure required, etc. It also can't be a bad work dynamic to have modelers and graphic artists working towards shorter term goals that result in more frequently released production content than the average game dev cycle of 1-2 yrs allows. The team gets more feedback on what customers like and don't like on a more regular basis that can then be rolled into work still on the table. Consider these content updates as "point releases" more commonly found in the rest of the software development world.

Agent X

Chittagong said:

You make a good point, but on the other hand this could extend the shelf life of the game. Some people might still be inclined to buy this game another 6-12 months down the road, whereas a lot of other games that were released at the same time will be perceived as old and tired.

I would also guess that at least some amount of this content was in development long before the game was released. The developers might have begun working on the vehicles and tracks many months ago, then decided that some of them weren't quite up to snuff and wouldn't make the cut for the production package. They could then concentrate their efforts on the ones that were progressing well (meaning the ones that ended up on the final disc), while putting the others on the back burner to be fine-tuned and released as downloads at a later time.

Top Bottom