• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wireless router compatability list for 360?

I have a netgear router, but for some reason it makes joining online games a bitch, and when I'm using said router to go on Live, a lot of hosted rooms don't even show up. It basically seems as if when I'm using this router -- 80% of the active online community for a particular game dissappear.

So, yup -- any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

dammit. c'mon guys. I'm off to shop black friday style and i need to get a router that fully works with the 360.

i remember there being a comp. list -- i've tried searching for it but not luck.

Manp

i have a wireless netgear router too but i use it in ethernet (can't see why it should be different in wifi) and it works with no problems

have you tried to test your connection through the dashboard and see what type of NAT you get?
maybe it's just a NAT problem or you need a firmware upgrade
what model is the router?

:)

fart

Savant
i think a lot of them advertise xbox live compatibility. googling the phrase also reveals a list on a certain predominantly retarded website.

fart

Savant
off of that list i'd say the dlink dgl-4300 and di-634m are your best bets. the wrt54g v1-3 is pretty much impossible to find now and the v5+ are not only incompatible but undesirable for some other reasons. the netgears i'm also not crazy about these days, some firmware issues on their atheros hardware (otherwise solid). the dlinks have also been on special via fry's lately, so i'd bet on those.

Not really on topic, but it fits; I just got a new router, but it only has 2 ethernet ports, both of which are used by non-Xbox products. So I'm gonna have to make this baby wireless. But there is no way I'm paying the price of the official wireless adapter; are there any cheeper alternatives? Some sort of wireless bridge?

TheGreatDave said:
Not really on topic, but it fits; I just got a new router, but it only has 2 ethernet ports, both of which are used by non-Xbox products. So I'm gonna have to make this baby wireless. But there is no way I'm paying the price of the official wireless adapter; are there any cheeper alternatives? Some sort of wireless bridge?

Certified wireless bridges are in the same list I posted above.

WGA54G (v2) would be the best bet.

fart

Savant
technically a wireless bridge should work regardless, but it doesn't surprise me that not all devices advertised as wireless bridges work quite right.

keep in mind you can take a wrt54g and load a third-party firmware to run it as a bridge (set it into client mode). that should be cheaper than buying a product labeled as a bridge.

Manp

TheGreatDave said:

if you're going wireless just cause you're out of ethernet ports you can just buy an ethernet switch, it should probably be the cheaper solution

glaurung

Any router.

You just need to fiddle with the configuration and ports.

Microsoft Knowledge Database has all the necessary information, you just need to be able to set your router (probably through telnet).

Strange, I have a:

Netgear WGT624 (version 2) and it says it's compatable.

But when (it could just be me) try to play online with it, and when I search for open games, it seems as if I get a low search result with it.

What's with the whole firmware mumbo jumbo, do I have to set my netgear to the specified setting on that compatability website?

B0006TIA02.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

what I use, connection is just as fast as my wired was (judging from servers ms ping numbers)

and streaming over wifi to the 360 (also wifi) is perfect

Manp

C- Warrior said:
Strange, I have a:

Netgear WGT624 (version 2) and it says it's compatable.

But when (it could just be me) try to play online with it, and when I search for open games, it seems as if I get a low search result with it.

What's with the whole firmware mumbo jumbo, do I have to set my netgear to the specified setting on that compatability website?

do the network test in the dashboard and see what nat type you get
if it's anything but open you need to forward the right ports to your 360's ip address in the settings or just enable UPnP if your router supports it

about the firmware, you could upgrade it to the latest available if don't have it already... but it should work even without upgrading if you set everything in the right way

My Belkin wrieless router didn't work properly at first but when I activated UPnP it worked perfectly. I would think that any router with that UPnP feature should be perfectly fine.

Top Bottom