• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wise from your gwave! Poster was correct bumps 3 year old thread to gloat!

DrDogg

A thought hit me the other day... we know Nintendo is planning to launch the Revolution with a new, online Smash Brothers. We also know that Midway will be releasing the next fighting game installment in the MK series next Fall as well. Current speculation also puts the next Tekken title on the PS3 in 2006, and of course there's the ongoing debate on if and when Killer Instinct 3 will see the light of day on Xbox 360.

This could potentially put all four fighters in a head to head battle in Fall 2006. I know I personally plan to buy an Xbox 360 and Revolution, and I'm sure I'll end up getting a PS3 as well depending on what it launches with and what it's priced at. This could be quite the battle for my fighting game money next year since all four of these titles would potentially be online.

And for those who think KI3 isn't coming, what will MS have as an exclusive fighter next year to combat Smash and Tekken (most likely a PS3 exclusive)? If it's not KI3, it has to be something.

MK7 might be along the same lines as MK5 and 6 which would make me pass on it, but I've always been a Tekken and Smash fan, and if Rare can reproduce the KI1 magic, I'd be down for a new KI as well.

Thoughts?

DrDogg

Bob White said:
I can see A tekken but not tekken 6.

Updated t5 with all the arcade updates and online play. I'd be all over it.

Tekken 5.1 you mean? From the looks of things most Tekken fans prefer the original over 5.1. I think I'd rather see TTT2, but we'll see.

Bob White

Tekken 5.1 you mean? From the looks of things most Tekken fans prefer the original over 5.1. I think I'd rather see TTT2, but we'll see.

Even though everyone says tekken 5.1 is shit, if it would come out for ps3 (or 360, dont really care) with online play and maybe two new characters, no amount of shit namco has done to tekken 5 could make me not get it.

As long as its not like DOA, I can deal.

DrDogg

Bob White said:
Even though everyone says tekken 5.1 is shit, if it would come out for ps3 (or 360, dont really care) with online play and maybe two new characters, no amount of shit namco has done to tekken 5 could make me not get it.

As long as its not like DOA, I can deal.

Tekken Online would be reduced to DOA-like simpleness IMO. All of the advanced tactics in Tekken would suffer from lag and be much less useful. I'd still play it though...

Also... DOA4 "looks" like it might be heading in the direction of Tekken and VF.

I never liked KI, but MK;DA was solid (Deception had too many insta-deaths).
SSBM Kicks all sorts of ass, And I dislike Tekken. This year seems to have the better fighters In SC3, DOA4, KOFXI, & possiBly VF5.
SF4>All though :p

polg

what about a NEW fighting series...
something that we say "wow, that's a great idea" and that brings new gameplay variables. Or... has the genre run out of ideas? :p

It's kind of hard to create an original interpretation of "People punch eachother." It's been explored heavily between fighting, beat-em-up, and wrestling games... even the "each stick controls an arm" approach has been tried. So how do you make brawling original without injecting either the artificial or the supernatural?

fresquito

Kulock said:
It's kind of hard to create an original interpretation of "People punch eachother." It's been explored heavily between fighting, beat-em-up, and wrestling games... even the "each stick controls an arm" approach has been tried. So how do you make brawling original without injecting either the artificial or the supernatural?

Get rid of life bars, then you get a new way to interpret fighting games. Fighter´s Destiny and Bushido Blade are good examples on how fighting games can be played in a different fashion. Smash Bros is yet another good example, the same can be applied to Power Stone.

Meantime

Bob White said:

What's wrong with 5.1?

Zeo

Banned
u_neek said:
Please! No more speculation threads!

Stop bitching. You're the one who clicked the thread clearly labeled SPECULATION.

Anyway, I could care less about all of those, except for Smash Bros. 3. That's all that matters. :]

Tekken 5 kicks ass though. One of the best fighters this gen.

MK7 should play somewhat like the last one, but they should finally change the artstyle next gen so it's not cartoony like it always has been. Make it very realistic, especially movement and blood-wise, and make the most violent game possible on top of the fun gameplay from MK6. It'd be cool if they could recreate the old feeling from the MK games where you'd play and be like "OMG look at that fatality!" I think people are pretty immune to them now.

TheDiave

Banned
I'm game, although I'm skeptical about the bunch:

Tekken 6- Where can Namco even go with the series to make it better? The stuff they added to 4 didn't feel right at all.

Killer Instinct 3- I wasn't a huge fan of the second KI. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but KI's strength has always been frantic, insane combos, and the ACM graphics; But would that really work in 3D? I mean really.

MK7- I don't know how Midway could top Deception, and with better hardware, how would a game along that lines ever make it to market? You're talking photo-realistic dismemberment. Politicians would have a field day.

Smash Bros 3- Is there anything they can add, other than some additional fighters?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
DrDogg said:
And for those who think KI3 isn't coming, what will MS have as an exclusive fighter next year to combat Smash and Tekken (most likely a PS3 exclusive)? If it's not KI3, it has to be something.
When is the new Dead or Alive coming out?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Zeo said:
Stop bitching. You're the one who clicked the thread clearly labeled SPECULATION.

Anyway, I could care less about all of those, except for Smash Bros. 3. That's all that matters. :]

Tekken 5 kicks ass though. One of the best fighters this gen.

MK7 should play somewhat like the last one, but they should finally change the artstyle next gen so it's not cartoony like it always has been. Make it very realistic, especially movement and blood-wise, and make the most violent game possible on top of the fun gameplay from MK6. It'd be cool if they could recreate the old feeling from the MK games where you'd play and be like "OMG look at that fatality!" I think people are pretty immune to them now.

u_neek is right these speculation threads are stupid and a waste of time

DrDogg

MadOdorMachine said:
When is the new Dead or Alive coming out?

It's a 360 launch title. After that Team Ninja is supposedly working on NG2, then DOAX2 and DOACC... so you won't see another fighting game from Team Ninja for awhile unless it's porting DOA4 to PS3 or Revolution. Leaves the door wide open for Rare if you ask me.

As far as what they could add to Smash or Tekken... how about online play? ^_^

DrDogg said:
As far as what they could add to Smash or Tekken... how about online play? ^_^
Broadband is still way too laggy for many fighters. SSBM would work, but Tekken and VF would, at best, have to limit you to players in the same region/use the same ISP.

This may or may not be speculation:

mkvsdcconceptfinal3xv.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
habeem4999 said:
This may or may not be speculation:

mkvsdcconceptfinal3xv.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yea. Sure.

DC is owned by Warner Brothers. Warner Brothers has their own game division now run by Jason Hall (of Monolith). EA currently has the rights to make games based on Batman and Superman.

That is total BS.

ManaByte said:

Yea. Sure.

DC is owned by Warner Brothers. Warner Brothers has their own game division now run by Jason Hall (of Monolith). EA currently has the rights to make games based on Batman and Superman.

That is total BS.

Doesn't EA also have the Marvel license, but Activision are still making Spiderman games? And do EA's Batman and Superman licenses come from the comics or just the films (in the same way they only have access to LoTR material from the films)?

I actually got that from a survey with "Your2Cents". Midway asked what you think of the idea yada yada yada. Believe it or not. Just posting what I seen.

Andrew2

Banned
ManaByte said:

Yea. Sure.

That is total BS.

DC is owned by WB yes, but WBIE also does business with Midway also in part to mult-territory publishing deal. I wouldn't be suprised if WBIE/Midway publishing deal also leave room for something like this

As for KI, Nintendo obviously still holds the IP rights to KI based on the fact they still have a Live registered trademark covering all videogame use. Whats also interesting, Neither Rare or Microsoft has/own a filing for "Killer Instinct" and in order for them them to claim legal right to the IP, they'll need a trademark filing.

If you'll like to see for yourself, do a TESS search at the USPTO and search this #

"1953686"

Top Bottom