• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatSu

OzwDH8r.jpg

http://abload.de/img/cirilsa66.gif

OCD Guy

I personally don't understand why there's a sudden obsession with "downgrades".

It's been happening for as long as I can remember, it happened last gen, and on the gen before that, but it seems like it's a bigger deal nowadays.

The game still looks good to me and ultimately that's all I care about.

nib95

Banned

It's been happening for as long as I can remember, it happened last gen, and on the gen before that, but it seems like it's a bigger deal nowadays.

Because more people are aware of, and dislike false advertising and deceit?

MMaRsu

Banned
That looks really disappointing compare to the 2013 reveal. I'm pretty sure other people will try to mod it to make it look like it did prior to this.

Looks a lot more like Dragon Age inquisition.

YIKES

At least I bought a physical edition so if the game doesnt turn me on, I will sell it quickly.

I wish the game looked like this :

witcher-3a.jpg

I mean, this Witcher 2 shot almost looks better than that Witcher 3 shot posted above by another user.

5.jpg

OCD Guy

I appreciate that, but these apparent "downgrades" happen with everything in my experience.

Ever seen how them Mcdonalds Burgers look in adverts? Or how about that latest dessert etc the real deal looks nothing like it.

I'm not saying it's right, but I guess I've just come to accept that it's standard practice in marketing/advertising and don't put much weight in it.

For example It's happened in game boxes for as long as I can remember with screenshots on the back looking nothing like the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
I appreciate that, but these apparent "downgrades" happen with everything in my experience.

Ever seen how them Mcdonalds Burgers look in adverts? Or how about that latest dessert etc the real deal looks nothing like it.

I'm not saying it's right, but I guess I've just come to accept that it's standard practice in marketing/advertising and don't put much weight in it.

We should stand up as consumers and not take so much shit in the behind from marketing companies.

BatSu

They are to blame.

JpKjuBW.png

rZVEUds.png

Soltype

For example It's happened in game boxes for as long as I can remember with screenshots on the back looking nothing like the game.

I've had a few whoppers that looked just like the ads before, but no version of the Witcher 3 will ever look like those trailers.

skonvolt

RG0BS1U.gif

How many games on Facebook run at 60fps?

you got the point, people who play on console or ugly games on facebook except some titles ( for consoles) have not to deal with the choice on 60 or 30 FPS so they don't care.

i care for this but when i speak to friends that play on a 360 most of them really don't know or see the difference

OCD Guy

I've had a few whoppers that looked just like the ads before, but no version of the Witcher 3 will ever look like those trailers.

Can't argue with that.

Although while witcher definitely looks worse than initial trailers, I still think it looks good. Infact had they been showing the current game from the start I think people would be talking about how good it looks.

nib95

Banned

Maybe if more people were outraged by, and called out such antics, it would happen less often. Hell, lately there's been far more damage control by publishers regarding these sorts of things, so they have noticed that we've noticed, and that's some progress.

Also, not all publishers do it, so don't lump them all in together. The bad apples should be called out for it, simple really.

MMaRsu

Banned
you got the point, people who play on console or ugly games on facebook except some titles ( for consoles) have not to deal with the choice on 60 or 30 FPS so they don't care.

i care for this but when i speak to friends that play on a 360 most of them really don't know or see the difference

Yeah I agree with you many people dont even know what 30fps or 60fps means.

The best way you can explain it to them is Call of Duty is locked 60fps thats why it plays very fast, feels fast and responds fast. A 30fps game will always feel slower in motion.

So if they play cod they probably know what 60fps is, and they know the difference between 30fps and 60fps but they just dont know what it actually means though.

The downgrade is SO real. It bums me out. It looks like DAI now. Kinda.

OCD Guy

Maybe if more people were outraged by, and called out such antics, it would happen less often. Hell, lately there's been far more damage control by publishers regarding these sorts of things, so they have noticed that we've noticed, and that's some progress.

Also, not all publishers do it, so don't lump them all in together. The bad apples should be called out for it, simple really.

I totally agree, the only way things will change is if people pull them up on it.

But as things stand these games still sell well despite all of this, so what incentive is there for publishers if the games still sell well. Watchdogs is probably the most infamous for the downgrades, yet it still sold well.

Unfortunately the only thing that talks is money, maybe if people voted with their money publishers would soon stop.

But I've already pre-ordered as have 1.5 million other people....

I hate how it's common for games to be released broken and having to wait for patches to fix things, yet we're all just putting up with it and buying the games regardless so again what incentive is there for publishers to allow more time for devs to polish their games.

I can guarantee if people complained and didn't buy the games, publishers would soon take notice, but as things stand it's not effecting sales so why would they care...

tuxfool

Banned
Oh, it's really better!

Edit : The Witcher 3 PC config ini tweaks are plentiful, demanding
http://www.incgamers.com/2015/05/the-witcher-3-pc-config-ini-tweaks-are-plentiful-demanding

SSAO also looks alright (and better in some very very limited instances, check the other screens on the perf guide). However HBAO+ is generally totally worth the tiny performance hit over SSAO.

Yasae

Banned
I totally agree, the only way things will change is if people pull them up on it.

But as things stand these games still sell well despite all of this, so what incentive is there for publishers if the games still sell well. Watchdogs is probably the most infamous for the downgrades, yet it still sold well.

Unfortunately the only thing that talks is money, maybe if people voted with their money publishers would soon stop.

But I've already pre-ordered as have 1.5 million other people....

I hate how it's common for games to be released broken and having to wait for patches to fix things, yet we're all just putting up with it and buying the games regardless so again what incentive is there for publishers to allow more time for devs to polish their games.

I can guarantee if people complained and didn't buy the games, publishers would soon take notice, but as things stand it's not effecting sales so why would they care...
Bet some hard-hitting, well respected journalism might help. But this is gaming...

skonvolt

Yeah I agree with you many people dont even know what 30fps or 60fps means.

The best way you can explain it to them is Call of Duty is locked 60fps thats why it plays very fast, feels fast and responds fast. A 30fps game will always feel slower in motion.

So if they play cod they probably know what 60fps is, and they know the difference between 30fps and 60fps but they just dont know what it actually means though.

The downgrade is SO real. It bums me out. It looks like DAI now. Kinda.

most of people that will buy the game don't even know what is the refresh rate of the monitor this is why the question on downgrade or not is just academic but will not have a real impact on sales or on the mass market

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

I don't understand this. Are there TV commercials running right now with pre-downgrade builds or something?

Should developers just never show games until six months beforehand so they're sure they can hit those marks on the hardware they're going to be working on?

Showing enthusiasts what you're working on years before it comes out and then releasing a product that is not identical is not false advertisement.

SSAO also looks alright (and better in some very very limited instances, check the other screens on the perf guide). However HBAO+ is generally totally worth the tiny performance hit over SSAO.

Noticed that and thought maybe that one comparison was the wrong way round

RedSwirl

I mean, this Witcher 2 shot almost looks better than that Witcher 3 shot posted above by another user.

5.jpg

The sharpening in that shot is just egregious (might also be partially the bloom, which also wasn't a popular feature of Witcher 2).

I think the VGX Trailer looks better than what we have now in a lot of ways, but the E3 2013 game? Outside of the draw distance it was an eyesore.

This to me has always been the most impressive screenshot of The Witcher 3. It and the early shot of the same village on fire damnear look like concept art.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's a midrange chip from 2 years ago. Are you honestly surprised?

a little, while mid-range, it was still higher end mid-range, that positioned itself exactly as the 970 does now. I did not expect to see the 970 getting double fps numbers compared to it.

Raven77

The one thing I keep noticing about the 2013 footage that I don't see mentioned much is the atmosphere / fog. Look at the swamp screenshot then compare it to the swamp screens of the retail build. It honestly doesn't look THAT different but the 2013 shot is way more atmospheric due to some sort of fog / haze.

Same thing goes for some of the shots out in the forests / hillsides. They only really look "better" because they have loads of atmosphere due to fog / haze effects.

even before you consider context (open world etc) that's, like, crazy talk. no 'almost' about it, it doesn't look anywhere near as good in terms of fidelity or lighting and texture quality. If we could scrutinize the models in these shots I'm sure those too would show stark improvements.

viveks86

Made a complete list of INI tweaks to test for a 4k60 playable version, which should still look as good as the fully tweaked version. Will post them once I test. 90 minutes to go. Wonder what sweetfx presets are gonna show up today. Would be interesting to play around with that since a lot of complaints related to color grading/sharpening could potentially be addressed. We'll see

Faith

Made a complete list of INI tweaks to test for a 4k60 playable version, which should still look as good as the fully tweaked version. Will post them once I test. 90 minutes to go. Wonder what sweetfx presets are gonna show up today. Would be interesting to play around with that since a lot of complaints related to color grading/sharpening could potentially be addressed. We'll see
I can't wait to get some mods for this game. Should make a huge difference.

viveks86

I can't wait to get some mods for this game. Should make a huge difference.

Could help with aesthetics. I don't know about performance of mods though.

Has there ever been a mod that made things faster? Genuine question as I haven't been gaming on PC for ages.

Faith

Could help with aesthetics. I don't know about performance of mods though.

Has there ever been a mod that made things faster? Genuine question as I haven't been gaming on PC for ages.
Crysis 1 mods. There were some that made the game look better with better framerate :)

Looking forwrad to see your tweaks and the effects they will bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom