• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, that's to tessellation, it's screen space decals. People are often mixing the 2 up. Secondly, there is actually more of it in the nd shot because I tweaked the SSD error multipliers to see what happens. Which area are you claiming lacks tessellation?
Never mind then. I might have confused both of them.

Can you give me an example of use of Tessellation in Witcher 3 from your screenshot?

-SD-

Banned
Easy with the sharpening effect, now, guys. Absinthe's version is a perfect example of how not to do it.

Use it wisely. Never go full sharp.

viveks86

Never mind then. I might have confused both of them.

Can you give me an example of use of Tessellation in Witcher 3 from your screenshot?

There is no tessellation for walls. Only SSD and varying LoD. The only "solid" tessellation is for terrain (determined by terrain quality), which apparently is broken in the latest build. Nvidia was not able to see any difference between low and ultra, so that's probably something that will get fixed down the line. The other example of tessellation in this game is for the water. Check Nvidia's tweaking guide to see it in effect. I'm really hoping to come across some stormy seas so that we can see if it holds a candle to the original reveal. Yes, people have concluded that that is downgraded as well, so my plan is to see if there is any merit in it beyond endlessly replaying the same 5 second segment.

anothertech

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.

I see viveks imgs and compare to the old ones, and I see better shadow and foliage quality. And yet everyone is screaming downgrade?

It's different, surely, def not the same assets as the vids from 3 years ago, but I don't think they are worse at all.

They look more detailed to me. The old images look softer perhaps, a bit blurred and less sharp? But that doesn't make the new ones worse imo.

Can it be the downgrade argument has boiled down to personal preference?

The game on PC in all honesty is looking better than ever before, at least from my view. And I'm dam picky about this stuff.

viveks86

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.

I see viveks imgs and compare to the old ones, and I see better shadow and foliage quality. And yet everyone is screaming downgrade?

It's different, surely, def not the same assets as the vids from 3 years ago, but I don't think they are worse at all.

They look more detailed to me. The old images look softer perhaps, a bit blurred and less sharp? But that doesn't make the new ones worse imo.

Can it be the downgrade argument has boiled down to personal preference?

The game on PC in all honesty is looking better than ever before, at least from my view. And I'm dam picky about this stuff.

Bear in mind that the original pic is from Dec 2014. So one can argue that it was downgraded already, which makes the whole comparison invalid ;)

Genio88

D-D-D-DOWNGRADE!

witcher32015-05-1821-39-32-9054539.png

witcher32015-05-1821-20-54-75.png

witcher32015-05-1820-26-23-35.png

witcher32015-05-1820-41-52-44.png

witcher32015-05-1820-24-41-21.png

Yep downgrade indeed

UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

hermeslyre

Neo Member
Easy with the sharpening effect, now, guys. Absinthe's version is a perfect example of how not to do it.

Use it wisely. Never go full sharp.

Don't be too hard on the guy. He was just trying to channel Witcher 2 circa 2011 , and those guys are professional.

Jonm1010

Banned
People can talk about other things related to downgrades than addressing arguments already made. There are 146 pages of grievances and bickering that it's about time we ease up a little. I'll find those scenes when I get there. I've already said that countless times. If only those scenes interest you, then please wait till I get there in the game. It isn't cool to call me out and tell me what I should be doing instead and that I'm fighting the good fight for CDPR. I've done nothing here to deserve that. I used some harmless hyperbole and to accuse me of "spamming the same sort of incompetent logic" for doing that is a bit much. But I guess it's become the norm here for everyone to be hostile or condescending to those who disagree, so I'll let it pass.

That's rich for you to blame others for being condescending. Pot meet kettle. You come in here acting In a manner that can only be described as carrying an inflammatory and dismissive attitude toward what has grown to be an extremely well sourced and well documented argument about the issues at hand. You made ZERO attempt to address any of them

Your best defense is essentiely "I want to move the goalposts now so let me. And you all should entertain me and go along with it. Here, here are some INI tweeked files." Because that is relevant....

RudoIudo

Are there that many people with bad monitors/bad eyes in here?

It's just a personal preference, for example there are actually a lot of people who liked chromatic aberration in Blooborne.

Also sharpening can look very good in some situation if used wisely (like the village gif just posted).

Zidy

I am so glad I was on a media blackout for this game. You guys oughta try the same. I'm not getting my panties in a twist over the graphics at all. I think they look absolutely terrific.I may have watched maybe one or two trailers until recently so what I've been seeing recently was my expectations. And that was PS4 footage mainly. Game runs like a dream on my 960

Loving the game so far.

hermeslyre

Neo Member
I am so glad I was on a media blackout for this game. You guys oughta try the same. I'm not getting my panties in a twist over the graphics at all. I think they look absolutely terrific.I may have watched maybe one or two trailers until recently so what I've been seeing recently was my expectations. And that was PS4 footage mainly. Game runs like a dream on my 960

Loving the game so far.

Well it's more than possible to participate in the thread, even believe the game has seen some level of downgrade, like myself, and still love the shit out of Witcher 3.

I haven't played as much of it today as I'd like, spent some time .ini tweaking for quality, but there were moments when I was running around White Orchard and I was thinking to myself, this is the best looking game I've ever played.

viveks86

Not posting my INI settings here. People interested can find it now in the OT or PC performance thread

That's rich for you to blame others for being condescending. Pot meet kettle. You come in here acting In a manner that can only be described as carrying an inflammatory and dismissive attitude toward what has grown to be an extremely well sourced and well documented argument about the issues at hand. You made ZERO attempt to address any of them

Your best defense is essentiely "I want to move the goalposts now so let me. And you all should entertain me and go along with it. Here, here are some INI tweeked files." Because that is relevant....

I'm done with this argument. Good day to you!

I'm confused about what exactly everyone is comparing here. For me the stuff featured in the VGX trailer is what I'm using as the basis of whether something has been downgraded. That's the footage that made my jaw drop. So far, I've seen nothing that refute that the game hasn't been downgraded from that footage. We can sharpen screenshots all day, it aint gonna replace the wow factor of the VGX video.

I'm confused about what exactly everyone is comparing here. For me the stuff featured in the VGX trailer is what I'm using as the basis of whether something has been downgraded. That's the footage that made my jaw drop. So far, I've seen nothing that refute that the game hasn't been downgraded from that footage. We can sharpen screenshots all day, it aint gonna replace the wow factor of the VGX video.

im using the 3 trailers i linked above

ApprehensiveCompetentIchneumonfly.gif

I'm wondering how this kind of terrain compares in the final build.

Also, this:

tumblr_nd79dxDElS1rbijdfo2_500.gif
The horse tail looks horrible here But the level of detail easily matches the earlier GIF (Village one). I mean look at the smoke blowing from the houses. You can't find such particle effects in the final version, even on PC. Someone can prove me wrong though :)

Regarding the second GIF, here is how it looks now.

ejIyCZ8.gif

stabiliser

Neo Member
The horse tail looks horrible here But the level of detail easily matches the earlier GIF (Village one). I mean look at the smoke blowing from the houses. You can't find such particle effects in the final version, even on PC. Someone can prove me wrong though :)

Regarding the second GIF, here is how it looks now.

ejIyCZ8.gif

No it does not, this is what it looks like: http://giant.gfycat.com/AccurateFloweryHydatidtapeworm.webm

Don't tell me that that was a mistake, you are trying to deliberately misinform people.

Edit: got fooled

viveks86

I didn't say it has no relevance. Everybody knows about the GIF and you can't just try to silence every discussion with the same 3 second clip that we don't even know exists in the final game. The only reason I posted those screenshots here was because they were fresh off the oven and I offered a new set that people could pick up and scrutinize. There are good examples of foliage, draw distance, SSD, shadow quality, PBR that were worth discussing in the context of this thread. There is often talk about bad completely blurry patches of foliage. Some of those shots directly challenge that notion. So I thought it was worth posting here. That's it. And I challenged people to respond to it by pronouncing my usual cynicism toward claims on both sides of the matter. If all I get is a 2 year old GIF that the whole world has seen over and over as a response, I'm bound to get impatient. At least one of the screenshot discussions went in a meaningful direction. To treat me like i'm some drive by poster casually downplaying the issue like some others, shows that they are either new to this thread, or they just want to pick a fight.

And so many responses (not you) where people say "we" when they refer to their own opinion. What's up with that? I feel like I'm dealing with a mob everytime that happens. Respond to me with your opinion. Don't sound like you are the voice representing everyone. :D

It does not look like that, at all.

Edit:

Might as well post the proper thing

http://giant.gfycat.com/AccurateFloweryHydatidtapeworm.webm

Is this a spell?...

No it does not, this is what it looks like: http://giant.gfycat.com/AccurateFloweryHydatidtapeworm.webm

Don't tell me that that was a mistake, you are trying to deliberately misinform people.
Guys, chill. Learn to take a joke.

The water looks the same on both i.e horrible. So its not like there is an obvious improvement here beside the boat physics.

People have to stop using terms that are inaccurate. The game never ever used displacement textures or displacement for microsurfaces (aka standard tesselation the way you see it in Crysis 2, 3, or the metro series). If you find geometric detail taht is different, do NOT chalk it up to the release candidate lacking tesselation.

Fistwell

Not trying to argue about downgrade or not, but the PS4 version isn't looking too hot (played first cple of hours). Foliage looks flat and excessively wiggly/aggitated, performance is not good, I've had one crash and one occurence of weird flickering on water textures. Apples to oranges, but the witcher 2 on a 560 Ti looked and performed leaps and bounds more solidly than this. I understand this is open world but sill, looks very rough to me. On patch 1.01 for whatever that's worth, dunno if that's with or without the day 1 patch (played it last night).

Zakalwe

Banned
Not gonna lie, When i first seen these pics i was laughing how bad a couple of them were, Especially the 2nd one. I guess the game looks great in some parts and not so great in others, The Downgrade is evident though.

The second pic is bad?

My eyes must be broken...

Laughing how bad they are?

Come one man...

UrbanRats

Edit: got fooled

Still look like jello.
Weird that GTAV has better looking water than this.

Maybe foam is closer to the shore?

AC:U's Instagram filter

How many indoor environs are in that game?

A lot.
AC:U looks amazing, no debate there.
Also lol @ "instagram filter", that's just amazing looking bouncing light like, you know, real life.

The argument, if anything, should be that ACU has pre-baked lighting and therefore, doesn't have a seamless day/night cycle like W3 has.

The shot was taken at 1440p with INI tweaks. With regard to the "obvious downgrade", mind listing your observations? Here are mine:

"Downgrade"
  • Messed up floor looks a little less messed up in the current version. Probably weaker screen space decals. Probably deliberate. The one above looks unnaturally exaggerated imo.

• Don't think it's anything to do with decals

In the Nvidia guide Andy talks about the ground tessellation and that it doesn't work right now. It will increase some of the geometry and make it more "messed up" looking.

Really don't think it adds much to this particular scene but will probably be enabled at some point though.

It's frustrating how visually inconsistent the game is and how jarring/immersion breaking that can be. Certain times of day outdoors and exploring the countryside, towns, and cities can be a beautiful experience. As soon as you go anywhere indoors or underground it looks like you just stepped into a last gen game lighting and assets wise (sans characters). Really don't know why they didn't spend more time tweaking at least asset variety or detail for interiors. Probably came down to a perf optimization thing, I'm sure TOD, dynamic everything else was taxing enough as it is to get running smoothly. Wonder how much mods might help with at least improving interior lighting.

Game look alright but the downgrade is so severe it's shocking. Not sure what people are trying to accomplish coming in here acting like it's still the same. People have eyes you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom