• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezcake

PC footage is getting out there, so I did some comparison shots between PS4 (top) and PC (bottom).

PC was said to be running on Ultra from a 970. Framerate obviously better on PC, but I'm really not sure how this disparity is possible...

http://imgur.com/a/h7hot

UzymyV9.png

Boac4Fa.png

xiyjHRr.png

UqCTxfv.png

Only difference I can see is some tweaked lighting on the PS4 version, the skin and other objects have a reddish hue on the PS4. No other differences except for lack of bra in one shot. That makes it seem like they're just different builds.

Edit: Plus some SSAO halos in the PS4 version

ufo8mycat

There is no way those PC screens are @ ULTRA.

It is probably medium, which makes sense as that is what the PS4 is roughly running at.

Derp

The bottom pic is NOT the PC version on ultra. Heck, I'm not even sure if it's the PC version. The PC version has soft lighting that neither console version has. And you don't need to run on ultra to see the difference
But CDPR said there would be no visual difference between the versions aside from HairWorks. The comparison (that's apparently ultra) supports this claim. YouTube videos (that are apparently ultra) support this claim. Are you suggesting CDPR was lying about this too and we haven't actually seen what it looks like with everything maxed out yet?

tumblr_mucxeaRS2z1qlwjbho1_250.gif

I was gonna get another video card to SLI so I could run the game properly but with this downgrade I saved money......that's a good thing right???

Lulubop

But CDPR said there would be no visual difference between the versions aside from HairWorks. The comparison (that's apparently ultra) supports this claim. YouTube videos (that are apparently ultra) support this claim. Are you suggesting CDPR was lying about this too and we haven't actually seen what it looks like with everything maxed out yet?

Where did they say that? Even something like HBAO + is a big deal. You really think PS4 is running at an Ultra preset?

Genio88

I remember when PS4 version was rumored to be 900p and Xbone one 720p, someone has had to disagree with that choice making CDPR downgrading the game overall to reach 1080p and dynamic 1080p on console without looking too bad compared to PC

cheezcake

Where did they say this? It doesn't make much sense.

viveks86

That's just PR talk, man. They want all versions to sell well. Devs are mandated to downplay it. Downgrade or not, there will be noticeable differences. You can count on it.

Derp

Where did they say that? Even something like HBAO + is a big deal. You really think PS4 is running at an Ultra preset?
http://whatifgaming.com/developer-i...-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why
As for the PC version, it looks just like the console versions just with a higher resolution and a lower-form of HairWorks in effect.

But again, look at the videos and comparisons. If you believe that the PC gameplay is at ultra (i don't understand why it wouldn't be, because they why wouldn't you show off your game in the best light possible), then it's obvious that the differences are minimal. If you don't believe it's ultra, then the only thing we can do is just wait until it comes out and test it ourselves.

That's just PR talk, man. They want all versions to sell well. Devs are mandated to downplay it. Downgrade or not, there will be noticeable differences. You can count on it.
I am hoping you're right!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Where did they say this? It doesn't make much sense.

here http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=51

How will the PC ultra version hold up against consoles?

It will be possible to spot differences in, for example, Nvidia HairWorks, but those are very demanding graphically, so a strong PC will be needed. What I’m about to say might not be diplomatic. In the future you will be able to turn on the option of ubersampling, which, upon the release of The Witcher 2, was killing the game, and will probably do the same with this title, so we don’t want to unlock it for now. It makes the game look better, but the requirements are insane.

Are all the textures and models the same?

Yes, there is only one version, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to make the game in time. We would have to take it all apart, and then build it and test it on three different platforms at the

in this interview CDPR guy (Adam Badowski, Managing Director) pretty much says the differences is just the Hairworks and the ability for downsampling.

Genio88

That also explains why the PC version of this game is only 25GB, just like console versions, it's not a miracle compression, just that the game are identical but for a few almost unnoticeable effects

Genio88

I guess a Digital Foundry face off has never been more needed than now, but i think the sad truth is that PC and console version will look exactly the same, just a few more effects on PC, if you have bought a 980 like me for this game, but nothing really special

diamount

Banned
I guess a Digital Foundry face off has never been more needed than now, but i think the sad truth is that PC and console version will look exactly the same, just a few more effects on PC, if you have bought a 980 like me for this game, but nothing really special

'few more effects' like higher resolutions and fps.

cheezcake

here http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=51

in this interview CDPR guy (Adam Badowski, Managing Director) pretty much says the differences is just the Hairworks and the ability for downsampling.

Hairworks was just an example though lol, he didn't say only hairworks. The fact that the models and textures are the same is not surprising as VRAM isn't really a limiting factor on the consoles. But we know Hairworks and HBAO+ won't be running on the console version. I imagine like most multiplats things like LOD, foliage density, shadow res will be able to be run at much higher settings compared to the console versions.

cripterion

Hairworks was just an example though lol, he didn't say only hairworks. The fact that the models and textures are the same is not surprising as VRAM isn't really a limiting factor on the consoles. But we know Hairworks and HBAO+ won't be running on the console version. I imagine like most multiplats things like LOD, foliage density, shadow res will be able to be run at much higher settings compared to the console versions.

It isn't?

Isn't a portion of that ram reserved for the consoles OS?

cripterion

Oh and I just wanna say I saw the CG launch cinematic, it looks fantastic and makes me yearn for a full movie of the Witcher looking like that. But then makes me think, if they had shown this CG in the past instead of VGX/SOD trailers and now gave us the regular game, would you think they wouldn't have secured those 1M preorders still?

There would be no downgrade talk, confusing and conflicting message during CDPR interviews, everything would be fine and dandy.

I know some folks dislike the use of CG for games announcements but I don't see too much backlash with games like Scalebound or Total Warhammer. The hype is still there, even with the use of CG.

Kaze2212

Not necessarily. Could mean its poorly optimized on PC (unlikely given their pedigree, but possible).

I saw a video yesterday from an Nvidia event in munich where people got to try out the PC version and apparently it ran on ultra @ 1080p at around 50-60 fps on a GTX 970. Without the day one performance patch.

cripterion

Guys relax

The fact that TW3 @ ULTRA 1080p requires a 980 should tell you it's not going to look the same as the console versions.

That's for 60fps though. They said you can even go to higher resolutions on,a GTX980.

For high preset settings it's apparently a GTX 960 @1080/60FPS. I guess we'll see. Wonder how much difference the day 1 patch makes that they didn't want websites to review/test the pc version.

cripterion

cripterion

Users with SLI GTX Titan X are going to get wild with this game. Holy smokes 4K Ultra with Hairworks on. Would love to see that on a 65" 4K screen :eek:

AndyBNV

Nvidia
So, apparently a GTX 960 can pull the game on high settings.
On what fps though? I don't really get the table on the bottom.

I'm not giving specific numbers because this data wasn't taken from the final, final build, but the general idea is 40+ in the most demanding moments of the game.

Kaze2212

Never saw the Precious Cargo gameplay before. (I somehow missed it).

Downgrade aside and all, but this just blew me away for some reason:

ibaDo846mLKjUb.png

Yasae

Banned
The general consumer? No. They just watch a few trailers, maybe see a review, and go buy the game.

The thing is, we the gamers are beating developers and publishers over the head for more information all the time. I run really close to the Zelda fan base and I know this all too well. New game came out? Great! We're already asking for information about the new one as soon as we can, and asking when we can see it. This is what people do. We want our cake and to eat it too.

So developers will push things out fast (maybe it's not them, it could be the PR department pushing for it) and we end up with something that doesn't represent the final game.

I am not saying that happened in this case or any specific case, but it is true that we are always demanding more from them as soon as possible.
That's exactly it - cake eating. People think they want new info, but......... They're wrong. I'm dead serious. Whatever though, the devs need money and if that tiny morsel of info or screen or trailer helps, so shall it be. We can't demand much of anything we'll get to play so early on, only parts we probably won't.

Companies don't come to these conclusions of when to release what entirely due to fan feedback. They can also veto whatever questions they wish for however long they wish - they do gauge reactions however. Cyberpunk's a good example, having been announced in 2012 with hardly a wiki page 3 years later.

I think the scene with the towel is in the Conan video, which is an old version as CDPR said. Maybe they changed it for the final build, who knows.

Though not a selectable or configurable setting, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt also features NVIDIA PhysX, which adds realistic cloth and destruction effects throughout the game
So my dedicated physx card is useless?? It would be shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom