• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 gameplay from YouTubers from CDPR event

KILL THE SHEEPHERDER

Edit: whats the green bar under his health bar that has the skull? is that a potion or something enabled?

It's the toxicity level that Geralt is now at. I believe at a certain level, he'll be losing health and will be showing signs of poisoning in his face.
poisoning_in_his_face_by_scratcherpen-d8r6dvi.jpg

For those asking, yes, every copy of the standard edition comes with a manual and a soundtrack disc. The 360 version of Witcher 2 (standard edition) was similarly packed with these goods. I thought the manual was very handy. Used it thoroughly.

DOWN

Banned
But I think it's also reasonable to understand that not everyone likes it when basically every Witcher 3 thread gets derailed into pages worth of arguing over which game has most realistic blades of grass with least aliasing happening on them. There really should be dedicated thread for that stuff so other threads wouldn't get derailed into that fighting and arguing.

Never said they were invalid, but creating an uproar over ultimately miniscule details makes me question, if some Gaffers actually enjoy playing games, or if they are just out to spot the next big "downgrade".

And real talk, at this point it's just supremely annoying.

edit: What Tovarisc said.

Can't say I'm surprised that threads showing new visual glimpses of this game draw new thrills, questions, comparisons, and disappointments all in one. Especially for W3.

What's important to you in a new screenshot or video labeled Ultra apparently isn't exclusively what is important to others. I care more about visuals than many people. I know that, but I don't see the problem in that either. A main character's hair, the game's lighting, or the whole tree line and foliage on the horizons are not miniscule. Just because you don't care to discuss it or you feel upset by it being unflattering in some cases, doesn't mean you should engage aggressively instead of moving along.

And I'd argue many of the defensive posts are far more in line with uproar than the comments with your apparent trigger word 'downgrade' have been.
As someone who makes games I will not only defend the witcher 3, but any other game that isn't really downgraded and most of the changes are artistic decissions more than anything else, and comes some random guy in a forum who doesnt understand how things work and cries downgrade everytime he has the chance because ubisoft has sour his mouth and thinking capacity.
No salty defense mafia here, only reasonable thinking.

Not saying the witcher 3 is not downgraded in some places, but things like Yennefer's model are obvious to people who think for a second and read a few more comments trying to learn why that changed instead of just spouting the first thing it comes to their minds.
I dont know everything, and thats why, if I dont undertand something and want to get inside the conversation, so i dont look like an idot to the rest of people in that conversation, I usually inform myself.
I can't tell if you understand why he said it looked downgraded or not.
Looks like wide open atmospheric dopamine paradise

cresto

Toxicity.

It's the toxicity level that Geralt is now at. I believe at a certain level, he'll be losing health and will be showing signs of poisoning in his face.
poisoning_in_his_face_by_scratcherpen-d8r6dvi.jpg

Thanks, guys. So does that bar increase over time or is your poison level set for a certain time frame? Interesting mechanic, but I'm sure it was in older witcher games.

For those asking, yes, every copy of the standard edition comes with a manual and a soundtrack disc. The 360 version of Witcher 2 (standard edition) was similarly packed with these goods. I thought the manual was very handy. Used it thoroughly.

What about those that digitally pre-ordered the game? Guess I am SOL, but I get the game early which makes me happy. Yay for preload.

abundant

Thanks, guys. So does that bar increase over time or is your poison level set for a certain time frame? Interesting mechanic, but I'm sure it was in older witcher games.

Your Toxicity Levels rise the more potions you drink. It''s basically a way to keep you from abusing the potion system.

What about those that digitally pre-ordered the game? Guess I am SOL, but I get the game early which makes me happy. Yay for preload.
It increases the more you drink potions. A punishing mechanic if you ask me, but one that challenges you in not being able to drink ton of potions without negative effects.Pretty cool.

edit: Abundant beating me at it again.
uh58302,1259770105,Smiley_ShakeFist.gif

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I currently do not have twitter however for people who do does anyone mind sending a message to the devs and hopefully bget a photo mode patched in for the console versions. This is a pretty game, and I'd love to take some screen shots of it that look cinematic.

DOWN

Banned
I currently do not have twitter however for people who do does anyone mind sending a message to the devs and hopefully bget a photo mode patched in for the console versions. This is a pretty game, and I'd love to take some screen shots of it that look cinematic.
Photo mode is so easy to make that it should be mandatory. Seems to be for Sony first party, but every game should do it.

cresto

It increases the more you drink potions. A punishing mechanic if you ask me, but one that challenges you in not being able to drink ton of potions without negative effects.Pretty cool.

edit: Abundant beating me at it again.
uh58302,1259770105,Smiley_ShakeFist.gif

Your Toxicity Levels rise the more potions you drink. It''s basically a way to keep you from abusing the potion system.

Yeah, I get the purpose of the mechanic. Does anyone know how to lower it or is it just a timed thing?

Round 3 - FIGHT

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Photo mode is so easy to make that it should be mandatory. Seems to be for Sony first party, but every game should do it.

totally, plus if you think about it we get cool backgrounds, but also for them its free marketing. Someone goes online sees some photomode shots of a game gets interested and buy the game potentially. I hope they do it.

erawsd

Yeah, I get the purpose of the mechanic. Does anyone know how to lower it or is it just a timed thing?

Round 3 - FIGHT

You have to use White honey to lower it. The catch being that the white honey purifies the beneficial effect as well.

Insanely huge game so this comment isnt mean to deride the game

But the foliage doesnt look that great. Having gone back to Witcher 2 (which hasnt aged well in terms of environments) it doesnt look as good as other older RPG's that use speedtree (and therefore automatically look better with higher res and better GPU)

They made compromises to hit consoles and low performance GPU (eg 980 gets ultra at 1080/60 which means ultra isnt that demanding)

It's friggin gross. I don't see it in motion either, but yeah.... when you stop and scrutinize screenshots, it's plain as day.

Yeah I never quite noticed it until someone mentioned it, and now I can't unsee it.

We haven't seen evidence of CA in witcher 3 yet, right?

rashbeep

Banned
There is no ambient occlusion at all. Are these screenshots from maxed out settings?

Good point, I'm not so sure it is on. I've seen screenshots in the past where there is AO drawn on each grass sprite so I'm not sure why it's absent here. It would add a lot of depth to the grass in that scene.

Can people post what builds they are thinking about? I want to get a better understanding of how people make builds for The Witcher.

epmode

I never noticed the chromatic aberration when I played GTAV. I see it all the time in the screen shots though.

I notice it pretty easily. It's nowhere near as bad as something like Payday 2 but I'd still like an option to disable it.

People are assuming based on this:

DOapv4f.png

Do they mean Xbox One for today and PS4 next week or PS4 footage first next week? That remains to be seen, but they did say that they will be releasing footage for both systems. We shall see.

Already 7:05 pm in Poland. I doubt that there will be either this week.

Shredderi

Not a fan of the grass even in the new pics (what a surprise, right?)

But man, that overcast atmosphere, that's damn good.

Agreed. The overall scenery and atmosphere looks effin' wonderful in this game. I really can't wait to dive in. That being said, the grass really doesn't look that hot.

Älg

I know this isn't exactly the right thread to post this, but I wanted to check if I've understood the story continuity between the books and the games correctly, and since this is the most active W3 thread I figured I had the best chances of getting an answer here.

SPOILERS FOR PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING:
duh
Basically, here's how I've understood it:

-At the end of the books Geralt and Yennefer both die, but Ciri saves them and teleports them to the Isle of Avalach/Malus Island. This is where the book canon ends and Geralt and Yennefer live happily ever after.

-Sometime between this and the beginning of the first game, the Wild Hunt finds Geralt and Yennefer and abduct Yennefer.

-Geralt goes on a hunt for the Wild Hunt. This is when he meets Letho, Serrit, and Auckes.

-Geralt finds the Wild Hunt and exchanges his life for Yennefer's. He then rides with the hunt for a while.

-Sometime after that Vesemir and friends find Geralt in the woods around Kaer Morhen, and the story of the first game begins. Both Geralt and Yennefer suffer from amnesia from spending so much time with the hunt.

Is this all correct, or have I misunderstood something?

Top Bottom