• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC recommended specs run game at 30fps - reddit

zou

the translation isn't quite correct, he doesn't actually say anything about sticking with 30fps. He's just saying that with the recommended specs he thinks they'll be at 30fps.

Ahh, ok.. conspiracy theories is something that the NeoGAF folks really like

I don't believe in any conspiracy. But I am a big fan of CDPR, I preordered their products both CE and GOG version. And when I see something to be concerned about, I will be.

So the fact that I am more invested in you, more concerned than you doesn't mean your nonchalance is anymore valid than my concerns.

Your concerns have been duly noted, but I can't relate to you.

I'm not worried in the slightest. The Xbox One is indeed the weaker machine compared to the PS4 and the recommended PC specs but that does not mean they have to spend a colossal amount of time trying to get the best of it, most likely they just tone down effects and that's it.

I am not asking you to relate to me nor be worried as I am. See above, maybe I am more invested in it than you. Also you have no idea if your theory that "most likely they just tone down effects and that's it." is true and I have no idea if mine is true. So either way I have cause to concern, good for you that you aren't though.

Dr Dogg

Why do these threads always have to turn out the same way, when the results once the benchmarks come in always paint the same picture?

I thought it was quite funny some where saying in the console specific resolution thread 'stop shitting up the thread with PC talk' and yet here we are in a more PC specific thread with some talking about console comparisons.

Judging and comparing any game on preview builds, let alone one still 4 months from release and from a developer who have constantly updated their titles until they are satisfied is a bit silly. Sure it's nice to have the insight to see how the game is shaping up along the course of development but it's still not final build.

Kssio_Aug

I will get it for PS4 probably. If I get the game.
It seems awesome but am not sure with I'll be able to play this + bloodborne + whatever in my backlog + study the huge ammount of things Ill need to study this particular year.

kingkenny76

It looks like I was right when I said it will need a €1,500 PC
puss_in_boots_ooooh_cat_by_kaza_mori-d4ll1dx.gif

J/K

Gumbie

lol at some of the people in this thread...

"Hey guys I've got 4 Titan Z's and 4 i7 processors with 128GB of ram, I don't know if I can even get 30 fps on this omg what will i do??!??!"

th51185c.gif

cripterion

I'm just saying what those two guys wrote, obviously I wasn't there so can't vouch if it's authentic - maybe CDPR just served vodka as refreshers. :)

1st article:

We were asked not to change the gfx settings - we could look at them but not change anything. Understandable - such an early build might not be 100% stable. I regret we couldn't have seen Nvidia HariWorks in action - it was disabled. The hair on the characters looked okay, but was the worst element of them. We played in 1920x1080 on High (only setting above was Ultra), IIRC with SSAO disabled and some medium AA and AF. There was no fps counter visible and for most of the gameplay game was fluid - meaning ~30 fps or slightly more. Not exceeding 35 fps though, even in inside locations. There was a large fluctuations of framerate - not something in line of 10-15 fps, but it was possible to have a fps drop from 40 to 20 in a drop of a hat - usually caused by location, not by the things happening on screen. Lot of work to do on the game optimalization. Only thing I'm sure - a lot of gamers will not be happy with their HW performance
(quick and dirty translation)

Second article had similar feelings, although he states SSAO was on.

So they had no way of telling the framerate due to no fps counter but they could tell exactly when it ran at +30, or at 35, etc.. ? Am I reading this right?

As for the game I got it preordered the second I could, still very much looking forward to it although I've noticed some differences between the trailer they released and the gameplay videos so in the end I'm hoping to get a nice finished product with the quality shown in the trailer. Also keep that Skeletor dude's armor intact, it's looking magnificent!

Do we know if Nvidia's HairWorks will come at launch? Don't pull a AC:Unity tesselation on us Nvidia.

bathsalts

Did they mention what AA solution they were using in this benchmark? 8xMSAA isn't exactly cheap. Nice to see actual baseline performance relating to the recommended specs either way, hope it catches on.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Witcher 2 handled trifire 5970+5870 on old setup really well.
Ran great on 670
Also runs great with current SLI 770

Bring it.

Not sure why they can't release the old footage scenes & classic referenced .gifs to make for comparison of current build to validate or dismiss downgrade concerns.

Knurek

So they had no way of telling the framerate due to no fps counter but they could tell exactly when it ran at +30, or at 35, etc.. ? Am I reading this right?

That's what the articles say.
The second article had this: There was no fps counter, but the slowdown was very noticable, especially in the forest areas. I'm an avid gamer, I do a lot of hardware testing, so can discern framerate fluctuations"

Wprawdzie żadnego licznika nie udostępniono, ale spowolnienia były wyraźnie odczuwalne, zwłaszcza w mocno zalesionych rejonach. Jestem graczem, testuję sporo sprzętu, więc bez problemu wyłapuję takie zjawiska

lol at some of the people in this thread...

"Hey guys I've got 4 Titan Z's and 4 i7 processors with 128GB of ram, I don't know if I can even get 30 fps on this omg what will i do??!??!"

th51185c.gif

Hilarious and so true.

I dunno why anyone would expect to play this at 60FPS. I never seen an open world with that level of graphics running at 60FPS before. Normally open world games are limited to 30FPS due to sheer size and complexity of the world.

Guri

Yeah, I was already planning on upgrading before I play the game, even though I was sure I was going to buy it since it was announced. That's why I am not upset with any delays. I will probably be ready to buy it only on the second semester.

martino

This image perfectly sums up every single pre-release spec thread.

On the other hand, once we get actual benchmarks it's usually tumbleweed.gif.

Marketing and urban legends have strong grips when you don't understand at all what you're speaking about.

Geoff9920

Are there a lot of new PC gamers lately? These threads always happen and then when said game gets released the benchmark thread is practically empty.

You do know that there's a bunch of other stuff that contributes to the final look other than resolution, models and textures? It's not 2004 anymore where turning off bump mapping made everything look like shit.

Of course I realize that but this is what they said

"PC, PS4 and Xbox One use the same build, textures and models. Game will look almost identical on all platforms"

If that isn't a massive red flag I don't know what is? How heavily are they investing in these PC only features if what they say is it will look almost identical on all platforms?

Again I'm not dooming the game or saying it won't look as good as it should. What I'm taking issue with is this statement and if its true its 100% bull crap coming from a PC first developer like CDProjekt Red.

Kiant

Hilarious and so true.

I dunno why anyone would expect to play this at 60FPS. I never seen an open world with that level of graphics running at 60FPS before. Normally open world games are limited to 30FPS due to sheer size and complexity of the world.

Why is expecting 60fps on a PC that out of the ordinary? That should be the bare minimum. Being open world has nothing to do with it.

bsod

Banned
Why is expecting 60fps on a PC that out of the ordinary? That should be the bare minimum. Being open world has nothing to do with it.

If you're willing to tone down the graphics, it shouldn't be out of the ordinary as long as your PC has sufficient resources. However, how well the game will look to maintain that 60 FPS is another question.

Are there a lot of new PC gamers lately? These threads always happen and then when said game gets released the benchmark thread is practically empty.

I do believe there's a number of fresh-faced, recently converted PC gamers on GAF that started several years ago due to consoles overstaying their welcome. I think a lot of them tend to be in the"60 FPS or bust!" crowd.

Kezen

Banned
Of course I realize that but this is what they said

"PC, PS4 and Xbox One use the same build, textures and models. Game will look almost identical on all platforms"

If that isn't a massive red flag I don't know what is? How heavily are they investing in these PC only features if what they say is it will look almost identical on all platforms?

Again I'm not dooming the game or saying it won't look as good as it should. What I'm taking issue with is this statement and if its true its 100% bull crap coming from a PC first developer like CDProjekt Red.

PC addons are refinements, not structural enhancements. It would not make sense financially to build the game for high-end PCs then downscale to consoles.
It's better to start with a base every sku will meet easily then build up from here on PC.

I have no problem whatsoever with their statement. I never expected PC versions of multiplats to sport revamped assets or lighting. I'm totally fine with significant improvements in terms of effects.
And speaking of which The Witcher 3 will have quite a lot.

They can make it look like a Xbox 360 game and hit 60FPS if they wanted to.

Personally after 8 years of the 7th generation of graphics IQ, im very happy they arent.

Kezen

Banned

It has everything to do about it. It's fine to expect 60fps but sacrifices will be necessary for many of us.

Lol there is no "running" at 30 fps on pc. It's all variable depending on on settings vs hardware.
Sure there is. You can frame limit to 30, you can enable half-refresh v-sync (assuming a 60Hz display), or you could run your display at 30Hz (if supported) and run normal v-sync...

Thaedolus

Gold Member
1440p on my GTX980, on a brand new game? I wouldn't expect 60FPS max, I'm hoping 45-60FPS with some settings up high and some medium. Maybe it's just that I've been PC gaming for 20 years and I know what to expect.

Helmholtz

I have a 290, hoping to be able to do at least high at 60...
But I guess if I can get a solid 30 and do high/ultra or something that would be alright too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, I'm now targeting "not buying".

Witcher 2 ran and looked amazing at 60FPS on my old 660TI. On my 970 with downsampling it's still very very great. I don't see a significant improvement in TW3 over TW2 that it should run so much worse, besides being unoptimized. They probably just had too much work with optimizing for consoles as well.

SURPRISE! New Engine + new graphic options and physics require more power. Shocking news, I know!

Like Mutes said: Wait for the benchmarks. We'll see how "optimized/not optimized" it is for older generation cards then. This was never targeting "Witcher 2" level specs since it was geared for "next-gen." People need to let their older hardware specs go and expect that maybe sometime in the next two years, they'll have to upgrade something.

AU Tiger

The devs told us way back into last year that a 780ti would not be able to 1080p/60 this game so I feel like expectations should have been tempered quite a while back.

If I can get close to 60 fps @ 1080p with my 970's with a blend of high and a few ultra settings, I'll be happy but I'm not holding my breath.

The devs told us way back into last year that a 780ti would not be able to 1080p/60 this game so I feel like expectations should have been tempered quite a while back.

If I can get close to 60 fps @ 1080p with my 970's with a blend of high and a few ultra settings, I'll be happy but I'm not holding my breath.

That's probably because CD Projekt Red considers being able to "Ubersample" the game part of the max settings.

3 years later, my 970 and 4790k can't get 1080/60fps out of Witcher 2, if UberSampling is on. Every other graphical setting it can handle fine though.

Their Ultra settings may also include something like 8XMSAA by default. Somthing that I find courageous, but also kinda overboard for most people. I would imagine the effects and techniques settings can be set to ultra for a lot of people... but IQ (MSAA) as well as view distance and LOD distance settings will need to be toned down.

Orayn

Their Ultra settings may also include something like 8XMSAA by default. Somthing that I find courageous, but also kinda overboard for most people. I would imagine the effects and techniques settings can be set to ultra for a lot of people... but IQ (MSAA) as well as view distance and LOD distance settings will need to be toned down.

I'd be kind of surprised if TW3 actually had MSAA. TW2 didn't, and a lot of games with deferred rendering don't go to the trouble of implementing it at all.

(What I'm saying is that I can't find a concrete source stating this is actually the case. There's a story from September saying that PC ultra settings include 8X MSAA , but that source also has some "facts" about the console versions that we now know are false.)

Dinjoralo

I'm a bit confused about the recommended specs being speculated by the devs to get a consistent 30 FPS at 1080p, considering the recommended specs are markedly more powerful than the consoles that run the game at the same resolution and framerate.

I'm guessing we need to see what settings CDPR were talking about, whether things like ubersampling are on in these settings, what settings the console versions run at, how sable the framerate is in comparison to the console versions, etc etc... There's not a lot to go on, is what I'm saying.

I'd be kind of surprised if TW3 actually had MSAA. TW2 didn't, and a lot of games with deferred rendering don't go to the trouble of implementing it at all.

Wait, then what was TW2's anti-aliasing done with? And I'm not talking about ubersampling. :p

zoozilla

Looking forward to playing on Ultra
-low
settings on my R9 270x / FX-6350 setup!

I have faith in CD Projekt, though. They've said they're going to spend the rest of their time until release optimizing, and I think they'll get results.

Look at how well they were able to get Witcher 2 running on 360 - shows they at least have some clever programmers on the team.

(What I'm saying is that I can't find a concrete source stating this is actually the case. There's a story from September saying that PC ultra settings include 8X MSAA , but that source also has some "facts" about the console versions that we now know are false.)

TW3 is forward plus. So Multisampling work sjust fine and should be rather inexpensive in comparison to other modern deferred games.

centurion300

Neo Member
Posted on behalf of junior FLAguy:

http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1132 the original interview
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2trb9b/adam_badowski_cd_projekt_red_managing_director_in/ the reddit topic

According to the google translate they also ask some other downgrade-related stuff that the redditor did not translate (e: see edits below) but says he will if there is enough interest.

English version of the interview:

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=51

Top Bottom