• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Early BD-Players The Size of A Small House, What's the PS3's Real Size?

Arsynic

Banned
Here are all of the current BD-ROM player prototypes we've seen:

Sony:

sony.jpg

Mmmm...am pure sex bomba!

Samsung:

samsung.jpg

Retro, I guess.

Panny:

panasonic.jpg

Okay, I realize that most of this shit is built so that stuff can stack on it, but still. All of them dwarfs the PS3 in size. Besides the stackable component, how is a BD-ROM player with two fast state-of-the-art super processors and an internal power supply supposed to be smaller than these BD players? I know it's possible. But is it possible to do it under $500?

Small, fast, and cheap. You can only pick two of them.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Considering the PS3 is already larger than the PS2 I don't think small is an option.

Amir0x

Banned
the PS3s real size is slightly bigger than 360

looks like this:

newx36ff.jpg

will cost likely 400-500 for consumers, and either way is not cheap at all for Sony

Since you likely know all of this, you want to discuss... how this is possible or something?

I'm guessing that model shown above is with a DVD drive in it and not a Blu-Ray disc drive (yet).

I'm sure some of the cost is shrinking the Blu-Ray drive into that small of a form factor.

qirex

You have to remember that these are marketed towards the "enthusiast" market who has no trouble paying an extra $300 for an extruded aluminum flaceplate on their new toy. These are the same people who buy $3000 CD players that ouput the same signal as a discman.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Amir0x said:
the PS3s real size is slightly bigger than 360

looks like this:

newx36ff.jpg

will cost likely 400-500 for consumers, and either way is not cheap at all for Sony

Since you likely know all of this, you want to discuss... how this is possible or something?

Nope sorry the PS3 is actually smaller than the Xbox 360.

Edited: beatin

teiresias

VictimOfGrief said:
I'm guessing that model shown above is with a DVD drive in it and not a Blu-Ray disc drive (yet).

I'm sure some of the cost is shrinking the Blu-Ray drive into that small of a form factor.

I think Matlock's current avatar would be useful here, but I'm lazy so I'm not going to find a link to it at the moment.

The physical drive itself is no bigger than a usual DVD drive, they have nothing to do with the size of Home Theater market-driven deck designs. That market tends to have different wants and needs in terms of unit size.

teiresias said:
I think Matlock's current avatar would be useful here, but I'm lazy so I'm not going to find a link to it at the moment.

The physical drive itself is no bigger than a usual DVD drive, they have nothing to do with the size of Home Theater market-driven deck designs. That market tends to have different wants and needs in terms of unit size.
yes but you have to remember Teir ~ that model of PS3 shown @ E3 was not a finished product. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't have a Blu-Ray drive in there.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It is not like you need to stuff all the BR tech of a BD player into a PS3, after all the CPU/GPU will handle most of the tasks required by the format.

qirex

VictimOfGrief said:
yes but you have to remember Teir ~ that model of PS3 shown @ E3 was not a finished product. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't have a Blu-Ray drive in there.
Laptop-sized slot-loading blu-ray drives exist right now today. I'm looking for the picture now.

Amir0x

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Nope sorry the PS3 is actually smaller than the Xbox 360.

Edited: beatin

i remember having this discussion before, but it seemed PS3 was slightly bigger

but of course it could have been resolved since then. what are exact dimensions for PS3 with a source plz.

teiresias

VictimOfGrief said:

Screw it, that pushed me over the edge:

headbang4br.gif

Top Bottom