• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With gamestop going retro is there any chance we might see older disc games reprinted

bomblord1

Banned
I was thinking about how gamestop was able to reprint Metroid Trilogy and Xenoblade and that made me think. Since gamestop seems to have the capacity to reprint games and good enough relationships with publishers to do it do you think there is a possibility gamestop could reprint some of older disc based games from say the PS1/PS2 era?

There is no chance.

There may be a chance.

MtZ9N.gif

Gamestop stores have been running out of real estate for new items for the last five years. With the explosion of Amiibo and Skylanders, along with tablets, Turtle Beach spots, and the additional consoles, they've had a revolving door of things they've been able to carry. Off the top of my head, the local Gamestops have just recently been getting rid of the DS section, Wii section, and have liquidated all rhythm game accessories. There are no PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, or the like in this store.

My point is: if Gamestop starts taking in those PS2's again with the goal of reselling them, I highly doubt any store in the US has room to handle a large PS2 section for games.

What's the most Gamestop has charged for a used game?

I wonder if they'll be willing to sit on rare stuff for extended periods with the space constraints they have.

Companies would probably just make them digital only titles for you to download before they would reprint discs to sell at Gamestop.

I wonder if they'll be willing to sit on rare stuff for extended periods with the space constraints they have.
They were charging $80 - $100 for "used" Metroid Prime Trilogy LEs (they were actually new copies that were either reprinted or rediscovered and Gamestop gutted the packages to sell them as used).

They still sell new PS2 games at Yodobashi in Japan, mostly "Ultimate Hits" versions of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, so I think someone somewhere somehow is still manufacturing them. It probably wouldn't be to hard to spin up new runs of some more popular but hard to find PS2 games.

I think I even saw new PS1 games at regular retail price somewhere, maybe in Shinjuku?

Edit: They're online:
Dragon Quest 5 PS2
Dragon Quest 7 PS1
Dragon Quest 4 PS1
Final Fantasy 12 PS2

KiTA

Holy crap is this site legit!? I'm about to order a bunch of games from it.

Yup. I got my copy of Ogre Battle PSX from them, back when they were running through a Yahoo storefront. It's er, been a few years, but they were on the up and up.

There's a comfortable life out there for someone who wouldn't mind licensing these old PSX / PS2 / etc games and paying to have new print runs done. Suikoden 1 / 2, anyone? I'm honestly surprised more companies don't do this / that the Big 3 aren't already doing this through a subsidiary.

Man this would be a dream come true. So many classics that I don't have in my collection and I'd love to be able to buy them new at reasonable prices.

REDSLATE

I was thinking about how gamestop was able to reprint Metroid Trilogy and Xenoblade and that made me think. Since gamestop seems to have the capacity to reprint games and good enough relationships with publishers to do it do you think there is a possibility gamestop could reprint some of older disc based games from say the PS1/PS2 era?

Wait, wait, wait... GameStop is on good terms with Game Publishers? I thought they were pissed as all hell that GameStop was making a killing selling used games...

With Gamestop selling PS1s again, of course older game discs will be reprinted!

All you need is a blank cd, uTorrent, IsoBuster..... ummm.... go ask Google.

Mael

Wait, wait, wait... GameStop is on good terms with Game Publishers? I thought they were pissed as all hell that GameStop was making a killing selling used games...

Yeah they're so pissed at them that they give them pre order exclusives and stuffs.

As far as I know, they have to. GameStop is basically the only retailer that consistently stocks games. If you want to move niche product, you've got to go to them.

Good luck getting IP smaller than sure hits like CoD on shelves at Best Buy, especially if it's a retro reprint.

Gamestop stores have been running out of real estate for new items for the last five years. With the explosion of Amiibo and Skylanders, along with tablets, Turtle Beach spots, and the additional consoles, they've had a revolving door of things they've been able to carry. Off the top of my head, the local Gamestops have just recently been getting rid of the DS section, Wii section, and have liquidated all rhythm game accessories. There are no PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, or the like in this store.

My point is: if Gamestop starts taking in those PS2's again with the goal of reselling them, I highly doubt any store in the US has room to handle a large PS2 section for games.

This is what I was thinking too. Every GameStop I've been into in the last five years has been crammed with stuff in a most desperate manner. Nothing is organized, shelves are practically collapsing under the weight of the product they have overstocked, and various standing displays with a different theme on each face litter the store.

Stuff is just shoved in anywhere and everywhere it will fit. I can't remember the last time I saw a GameStop that wasn't collapsing under the weight of its own product. We've all seen the picture of the Wii balance boards stored in the bathroom. How can they really start carrying even MORE stock?

bigkrev

They were charging 149.99 for Dragon Ball GT Final Bout back in the early 2000s when Dragonball was getting huge, before games like Budokai and Legend of Goku hit.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

um no. all-over nos.

Top Bottom