• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With RT being hyped, what are examples of great lighting from this gen?

cormack12

Gold Member
RDR2 - everything from streetlights in St. Denis to thunderstorms, sunsets and just general muggy days
Red-Dead-Redemption-2_20181106164129.jpg

UnNamed

Banned
Driveclub and FFXV.

Driveclub, in particular, has the best implementation of lighting affected by clouds. You can clearly see parts where sun hit the track through the cloudy weather. The shift from sunny to rain in DC is the most convincing so far, only Flight Simulator have a better solution.

Every other games use tone mapping, add some fake clouds and a grey skybox and shift everything to grey.

GHG

Pretty much all of the frostbite engine games.

Kingdom come deliverance.

AC Unity and GT Sport although both use a pre-baked RT solution and static TOD's.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I still remember being amazed at Mario 64's shadows. Sure it was just a circular disc underneath our plump plumber but lol damn I was impressed.

regawdless

Banned
Driveclub. Great lighting AND dynamic time of day with weather effects.

Those races at night with the sun slowly rising... Just amazing.

Last edited:

Md Ray

The Last of Us Part 2's pre-calculated indirect lighting was amazing in dimly lit interiors as well as in the outdoors. And looked remarkably realistic.

Tschumi

I'm going to sound like a fanboy here, but for me at least the most memorable lighting was Witcher 3. I know, this is topical, and it kind of broke down at sunset in the cities, but in general i thought the general distant landscape, forests, and the sky - with its haze, combinations of colours, etc - were like an oil painting.

Top Bottom