• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the continued success of GTA V, does this mean changing or sanitising GTA VI would be a mistake?

cormack12

Gold Member
GTA V and GTA:O are absolute juggernauts. Given the current climate there have been discussions about whether the next story for GTA might be a bit more mature, less parodical and more grounded - maybe like RDR 2 for example. Dan Houser since left, which maybe opens the door for a different creative direction as well.

Do you think this is likely given how well GTA V continues to sell? Would it go down as well if it was more serious and grounded and less stereotypical, embellished?

Amory

I'd be surprised if they changed the tone too much. No reason to mess with a good thing. GTA isn't RDR and thank god for that. I think R* recognizes the distinction.

Mature GTA without the tongue-in-cheek attitude would be pretty fucked up, tbh. In a game where you're constantly running people over on the sidewalk even when you're not trying to, or catching pedestrians in the crossfire of a gunfight with police, you don't really want the story taking everything super seriously.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
rockstar ain't changing shit.

new story, new map, and gameplay improvements but nothing major. why mess with the formula if it prints insane amounts of lettuce?

amigastar

GTA IV was more serious and grounded.
I just wanna see some footage of GTA VI. Give it already R*

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If I had to guess, VI will begin "somewhat" seriously and the online component can evolve into whatever that crowd wants it to be. What happens to one doesn't really have to affect the other. I wouldn't be shocked if "GTA Online" just became a completely standalone thing and they added the VI map into the fold.

I'm pretty sure GTA Online now contains flying cars and bikes, right? Yeah, no way GTA VI's campaign is starting with shit like that, but they'll probably add it to Online when people get bored of ordinary vehicles.

Brute

I hate GTA Online, I wish they'd just be done with it now.

GTA 4 is the best GTA ever. GTA 5 was also pretty fucking good.

TheContact

part of what makes GTA so great is the political satire. my dream GTA is just a massive world with better RP options and a world that feels more interactive--most buildings you can enter/break into, destructible terrain and such.

YCoCg

GTAV isn't selling because of it's story at this point, it's selling because of GTA Online and the large amount of inane shit you can do on it. Recently they're promoting real life DJ's and a clothing brand, it's the cool thing kids!

From my own perspective, GTA kind of needs changing in some way. The satire is old as hell at this point. 5 wasn't anywhere near as funny or entertaining as previous entries like 3 or San Andreas. I actually preferred 4, with it's more serious tone.

But that's just me. Probably I think this way because I've been playing GTA since it was top-down. If Rockstar keep the same edgy vibe with 6, maybe it's best if I just move on & let the kids have their fun the same way I did when I was younger.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Just set the gaadamn game in the future ffs, let your team let rip and give us what Cyberpunk shoulda been, im sure your environment artists would love a break from the usual world building

They tried that with GTA 4 and that game is very controversially discussed to this day. I'm pretty sure they won't shake things up too badly.

Fbh

I don't see why they'd change the formula of the most successful game ever to be closer to the style of a less successful games (it's funny though that RDR2 is a massive success....unless you compare it to GTAV).

Also IMO serious and grounded Rockstar is the worst Rockstar, so hopefully not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom