• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wizardry 1 in 3D via Steam early access

theclaw135

Banned

Unexpectedly, this is something more than emulation from Digital Eclipse. It applies full 3D visuals and other refinements on top of the Apple II base.

On a side note, the page states a company has adopted the Sirtech name. Make of that what you will.
"Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord has been licensed to Digital Eclipse Entertainment Partners Co. by SirTech Entertainment Corp. All rights reserved."

Hudo

Sick. I wonder if they will do the documentary treatment they gave Karateka and Atari. These games are so tight.
Man, I hadn't even considered that possibility. That would be really cool. And at least Robert Woodhead seems like a guy who likes to talk about the old times. That would be really awesome if they could make a documentary for that game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never played these super old wiz games. I started playing at wiz 6 (got stuck) and 7 (beat it!). All I remember my bro playing the early Wiz games is they were super hard. I dont know which games exactly had these features as he played all of them, but those games could have no automap, darkness, spinners in darkness, pits to drop a level below etc.... Really grindy with unavoidable monster encounters. Unlike real time games you can use your skill and reflexes to beat or bypass monsters, those old games are turnbased. So it comes down to leveled up stats and items and spells.

who knows if they'll have QoL features like auto-map, but he'd get out the graph paper to map levels.

Last edited:
I have a lot of love and nostalgia for Wizardry. A few weeks ago I fired up the first game (PSX version) and played for a couple hours. Grinded Murphy's Ghost a bit and made it to the second floor, and after a single encounter two party members were dead and 2 others had status ailments. The rest of the party never made it back to the steps.

I stopped playing after that lmao

Still a great series though, I just wasn't feeling up for that level of grind/old school mechanics that day.

Comandr

Holy shit this looks awesome? Still waiting for a proper sequel to Wizardry 8. Free movement, great voice acting, fairly robust create a character. God I loved Wiz 8.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If this game is very true to its roots, mae sure to gun for those more unique classes like Lords and Ninjas and shit like that. It takes the right race/class/dice rolls during character creation to get them.

StereoVsn

Holy shit this looks awesome? Still waiting for a proper sequel to Wizardry 8. Free movement, great voice acting, fairly robust create a character. God I loved Wiz 8.
I liked 7 better overall but 8 was very respectable. Wizardry 6-8 remade would be pretty awesome.

shoplifter

Now on two full party wipes, one of which while rescuing the original party fucking werebears

I really hope the big outlets review it, because I'm gonna need a laugh from the gamez jurnalists complaining it's too hard

Slaylock

So much nostalgia for this game. I don't know if I can play it without being able to pop open the floppy disk drive so the disaster that just destroyed my party doesn't get saved.

I'm tempted to buy it but I'm not sure how the gameplay will hold up after all these decades. I'll probably wait for a sale.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Got this on Steam and ordered the physical Switch version from Amazon JP (English options). Very pricey ($50 shipping for some stupid reason) and was about $120 total. Ships end of October. Apparently an English NA version is coming later but I didn't want to chance it (especially if it comes from that shit company Limited Run Games).

shoplifter

Now on my third full party lost to
those fucking werebears
while trying to rescue all 10 characters dead in the same room 😂

Top Bottom