• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 03•06-08•15 - Chappie sticks, Second Best 3rd, Vaughn finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Duno Ridley Scott keeps on directing regardless of box-office disappointments such as Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven and Exodus.

Not really comparable at all. Ridley Scott's production studio Scott Free produces a TON of movies and TV Shows a year. He has a lot of good will through that he can get pretty much any film he wants bank-rolled.

Blomkamp does not have this kind of leverage.

Guzim

DUFF stand for "Designated Ugly Fat Friend", it's a about a girl in high School that's label as "The DUFF" so she has to overcome that label and save her last year on High School, BTW she looks like this
the-duff.jpg

Her?

Choomp

Banned
Slow week, huh. This time of the year I guess. A lot more people seem to have enjoyed Chappie than I expected. I'll see it eventually.

Slayven

Slow week, huh. This time of the year I guess. A lot more people seem to have enjoyed Chappie than I expected. I'll see it eventually.

Weird time of year, Oscar stuff is over and the summer explosionfest is just around the corner.

jtb

Banned
Not really comparable at all. Ridley Scott's production studio Scott Free produces a TON of movies and TV Shows a year. He has a lot of good will through that he can get pretty much any film he wants bank-rolled.

Rolling in that Good Wife/Numb3rs money.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Very slow week.

Now why doesn´t other studios make a Cinderella/Alice/Little mermaid etc movies? Seems pretty stupid to me not using these IP. They seem very profitable. Universal was stupid by making a gritty Snow White, which alienated the core audiences of these movies, children. Alice and Maleficent made a killing at the BO.

honestly I think the disney brand matters so much that people would be sceptical of seeing any film based on these properties, that they popularised, and wasnt made by them

Ridley327

R-rated fatigue is tremendously amusing spin. It's like SPE hired SCEA's PR guys from the early part of the PS3 era.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It would be nice to think that Vaughn's shitty new movie was a sign that his star might finally be fading, but True Detective will put him right back in the spotlight, and he'll keep churning out these terrible films.

Ridley327

It would be nice to think that Vaughn's shitty new movie was a sign that his star might finally be fading, but True Detective will put him right back in the spotlight, and he'll keep churning out these terrible films.

I don't think he's had an actual box office hit in ages, so it's like people have been lining up for him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll be honest: I haven't seen Elysium and I have no intention of seeing Chappie in theaters.

Why?

District 9. I didn't care for it in the slightest. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'll be honest: I haven't seen Elysium and I have no intention of seeing Chappie in theaters.

Why?

District 9. I didn't care for it in the slightest. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

you definitely aren't

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't think he's had an actual box office hit in ages, so it's like people have been lining up for him.
I know, it's just that he somehow has continued to get these leading roles even if they're not resulting in box office numbers. Something's gotta give eventually... maybe...

Pachimari

Why?

I really wanted to see Elysium back then but haven't. And I have to be honest, that I guess Blomkamp haven't had a hit with me yet, as I found District 9 immensely boring - but I'll give it another chance sometime this month.

kswiston

It's too bad that the good news of Kingsmans success for Matthew Vaughn comes with a big bag of money for Mark Miller and his shitty comics as movie pitches.

Deadstar

Chappie kinda tanked. Pretty unfortunate. I really enjoyed it. While it's true that the budget is much lower compared to Elysium, I think that realistically Sony is probably expecting a director they've stuck by for 3 films to be doing much better than this. I guess Blomkamp is lucky that he struck a deal with Fox for an Aliens film before this opened. Lol.

Chappie is the best movie this year. I actually might go see it again.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

That's really not how it works. That's dealing with entirely different sets of executives with different priorities. No one at Fox greenlit Exodus thinking it would perform better than Robin Hood and Kingdom of Heaven after looking at Scott Free's TV slate. The truth is that even Ridley Scott's box office disappointments aren't major bombs and executives will be all too eager to continue chasing the kind of money that Gladiator and Prometheus brought in. It's the same calculation that studios make with countless directors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom