• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was released 10 years ago

HL3.exe

Oof, 10 years already.

Glad the old 00's Starbreeze crew still continues under Machine Games. Eventhough they stopped making the interest action-adventure ImmSim mix like they did with Riddick: Escape from Butcherbay and The Darkness, i'm hoping they'll return to that structure one day. But their own unique introspective-edgy tone continues to still persist in some way in their 2 Wolf reboots.

Don't care about Indy as a franchise, but curious what they'll do with it.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Never forget the one they want us to forget though..!

EWDVkXQ.jpeg

hVdPnhV.png

One day it'll be back.

It's been 21 years since ET was released and lines like "congratulations with your promotion herr oberschutze" are still stuck in my mind.

Dazraell

Gold Member
Never forget the one they want us to forget though..!

EWDVkXQ.jpeg

hVdPnhV.png

One day it'll be back.
I'm also waiting for this to reappear. Considering MS acquired both Activision and Bethesda who had split rights to this, there is nothing preventing them from putting this back on sale. I tend to check SteamDB if there is any movement implying this might get re-released. Last year they made a beta branch, but unfortunately nothing big happened with it since then

Laptop1991

Good game, best of the newer Wolfenstein games, but for me Return to Castle Wolfenstein is still the goat, i still remember playing that game today far more than the later ones and its 23 years ago and my memory isn't what it was lol

Good game, best of the newer Wolfenstein games, but for me Return to Castle Wolfenstein is still the goat, i still remember playing that game today far more than the later ones and its 23 years ago and my memory isn't what it was lol
Never played the single-player, but holy shit the multiplayer was incredible.

GinSama

I more than ready for a new game, last one was meh, definitely they missed by changed too much the formula.....
But the first two plus the old blood are something else....amazing run and gun action.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Never played the old ones but i love the new saga.

Hopefully we get a third game to complete the new trilogy.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Never played the old ones but i love the new saga.

Hopefully we get a third game to complete the new trilogy.
If you ever be interested in checking Return to Castle Wolfenstein, there is this mod called RealRTCW which is available as standalone app on Steam. It's basically a remaster-adjacent thingie that makes Return to Castle playable on modern systems

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you ever be interested in checking Return to Castle Wolfenstein, there is this mod called RealRTCW which is available as standalone app on Steam. It's basically a remaster-adjacent thingie that makes Return to Castle playable on modern systems
I don't particularly indulge in old games tbh.

Too much to play already.

But thanks for the heads up.

Dazraell

Gold Member
The stealth parts were meh but the game was great as well as its sequel except the one with the two dykes. Fuck that one. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is probably better than all of them and should be remade.
I know you have a complete remake in mind and I fully agree, but I always found it funny that first two levels from RTCW are technically canon in MachineGames timeline as Old Blood recreates them and expands them into its own thing

John Bilbo

Thank you for this. I'll play this at some point!

The stealth parts were meh but the game was great as well as its sequel except the one with the two dykes. Fuck that one. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is probably better than all of them and should be remade.

I feel like a remake just wouldnt work. They remake it, they modernise the controls, it just becomes another modern shooter. It's a great game but very much "of its time".

Roberts

A had such a great time with it, I played it twice but I think I like the sequel even more. Just the tonal shifts between the wacky absurdist comedy and a sad-sack existential drama were handled pretty well for a video game.

I feel like a remake just wouldnt work. They remake it, they modernise the controls, it just becomes another modern shooter. It's a great game but very much "of its time".

Sure but they could remake it and revamp its level design. Also linear modern shooters arent exactly the rage nowadays.

Top Bottom