• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein TNO: 2014 GotY + one of the best shooters ever *GIF WARNING*

Such a great game. The overall tone, the shooting, the stealth, the level design, the characters, the story, the music, the way they make you absolutely despise the enemy. I'm only about half way through so far, but I'm having so much fun with it. I'm playing on the toughest difficulty and I never care about dying so far because the gameplay is just really fun. So far, it also feels completely fair, which is a great experience when playing on increased difficulty. This is a game and a company that deserves to be rewarded. It's fantastic.

DieH@rd

Banned
For now, this is my 2014 GOTY. Amazingly well-crafted game, total package of fun gameplay, great storytelling and surprisingly good characters. This is without a doubt, best FPS game Starbreeze ever made.

I really hope that game sold well enough for Bethesda to give Machine Games task to work on sequel [and story DLC for current game].

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Man I just need to buy this game.... but I have so much other stuff to play right now!!

Maybe next Steam sale I will pull the trigger

This is the game I'm currently playing. I thought I bought a good shooter and I played it like that during the first levels. Then I paid some attention to the dialogues and the world I'm playing in and that's when it clicked. This game is damn great and, somehow, it feels like I'm playing Half-life 2 for the first time once again... This is pretty much the best compliment I can pull out for a FPS. Now I'm taking my time, trying to enjoy everything this game has to offer because Wolfenstein TNO is one of these rare games, I know I won't find another one before long. Just like HL2, I know I'll regularly come back years from now.

Thank you Machine Games. Really.

Wasp

I'm currently playing this too. Almost finished it now, I'm on the penultimate chapter, and I've really thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

My favourite weapon is the shrapnel ammo for the shotgun, it's like something out of R&C.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm currently playing this too. Almost finished it now, I'm on the penultimate chapter, and I've really thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

My favourite weapon is the shrapnel ammo for the shotgun, it's like something out of R&C.

It was brilliant being able to shrapnel everywhere in the U-boat. So many rebounding surfaces! So much fun!

I agree with everything. So far through 2014, this game has given me the best experience in a while.

My only gripe is my corrupted save file. lol

.la1n

I need this game in my life, looks like everything I could hope for in a revisit to a classic franchise. Just can't put out the cash for it right now, maybe it will show up in some sales this holiday.

Zakalwe

Banned
Fist half - amazing.
Middle - ok.
End - ok.

Had so much potential after such an amazing start, but the middle section's pacing and the rushed final prevented it from reaching GOTY heights for me.

When it worked, it really did.

Oneself

The first level gives a terrible idea of the game. It gets exponentially better after that part.

Also, as much as I agree about the art direction being awesome, I don't think it's even close to be "a visual delight" technically. At least on PS4 ( and Xbone). It would have been visually delightful 8 years ago, but it looks definitely dated by today's standards. At least it runs at a butter smooth 60fps.

zychi

Banned
As soon as I can grab this for $20, I'm in baby.

Was sad that I got locked out of the Steam market when this was on sale. That $6 M&M promotion wasn't worth it for me. I could've had this game for ~$18 out of my pocket :/

The first level gives a terrible idea of the game. It gets exponentially better after that part.

Also, as much as I agree about the art direction being awesome, I don't think it's even close to be "a visual delight" technically. At least on PS4 ( and Xbone). It would have been visually delightful 8 years ago, but it looks definitely dated by today's standards. At least it runs at a butter smooth 60fps.

It's got some rough textures and aliasing but I think it looks pretty damn good on PS4 for the most part. A big part of that is certainly due to the stellar art direction, however. There's some nice lighting and atmosphere effects though.

Everyone's praise for the game has definitely put it on my radar.

I was on the fence during the Steam sale but googling up how it runs on a 560 Ti kind of put me off.

I'll probably buy it when I buy one of the new consoles.

i didn't expect the main character to have such glorious beautiful monologues. it veered a bit into cheesy territory sometimes but still he was a far cry from the dudebro i was expecting.

best shooter campaign since bulletstorm.

SeanTSC

Agreed.

This game went from a borderline confident pre-order, to best shooter since Bioshock. Every moment was an absolute delight.

My feelings exactly. Definitely the best shooter I've played since the first Bioshock game. I'm amazed at how much fun I had playing it and how much I was immersed in it. Playing it felt fantastic and the atmosphere was just captivating.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought there were some frustrating segments (and the game is kinda ugly...thanks idtech5), but on the whole it is a very, very good shooter that really celebrates the best of old Starbreeze and the best of the shooter genre. The guns feel so good and the enemy hit reactions are really superb. The fundamentals have never been done better. The stealth is fair and fun. The art design is strong. It doesn't take itself too seriously. Highly recommended for shooter fans.

Denton

That last gif is uber cute.

I finished the game and it was good. But...the level design was too grey corridorry for my taste.
And I wish I played entire game on mouse. I wanted to play on TV so I used 360pad, but in second to last mission it was so hard I had to switch to mouse, and it was glorious. Should have played entire game on it.

Great OP, read it, had fun.

I still enjoyed Shadow Warrior even more though.

jem0208

Planning to pick it up for my X1 when the price drops. Haven't got enough money for more than 2 or 3 triple A titles and I'm already buying FH2 and the MCC.

However it is only £32 at the moment...

Hmm.

Grisby

Damn good game. It knew when to let loose with the action and when to let you breath.

It's also crazy to me that it has one of the better stories this year. Funny how much they got out of a character named BJ.

The pistol is also amazing. Silenced headshots from halfway across the map.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I thought there were some frustrating segments (and the game is kinda ugly...thanks idtech5), but on the whole it is a very, very good shooter that really celebrates the best of old Starbreeze and the best of the shooter genre. The guns feel so good and the enemy hit reactions are really superb. The fundamentals have never been done better. The stealth is fair and fun. The art design is strong. It doesn't take itself too seriously. Highly recommended for shooter fans.

I agree, game is fun, and I liked the cutscenes/direction, but man, does the game have some frustrating sections.

BokehKing

Banned
I just picked this up the other day, man this game is great, I love the story and alternate history so far, the gun play is fantastic.

But for real, I feel like
I saved the wrong guy from Deathshead in the beginning....I saved my boy that flew me in on the plane, tough as nails soldier who is acting like a little bitch right now, acting like he wanted to die......would that little weak soldier been more grateful?

I love the stealth in this game, I'm clearing out whole levels like a ninja especially on
the sub....if I'm not creeping and stabbing, I'm entering rooms and throwing knives into peoples heads

I have my headphones on, and even though the audio mix sucks, there is quite a few scenes that make me jump
For example.....after that dude becomes a suicide bomber, I'm moving through the rubble and this mecha-dog jumps out and scares the piss out of me......or just other random "oh shit" moments...

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wow. This dude really loved the game, eh? I just finished it yesterday and while I agree that it's a good game, it wasn't the second coming of Jesus as described here, to me.

Same here. It was a good game. Probably of the best games released so far this year (kind of by default due to lack of competition) but one of the best shooters ever? I think that might be going overboard.

A few counter points to the lovefest:

The maps are complex, packed with meaningful collectibles and alternate routes that remind me of older stealth games such as Splinter Cell where you go “oh I could have gone through there the whole time”

Why bother with most of this stuff when you could just play it like CoD? That might be because the enemy AI is really good.

I understand some people like collectibles but I thought they were particularly annoying considering there are so many ammo, health, and armor pickups in the game. Its not Bioshock level of annoying but it got a little tedious for me. Also the maps were pretty linear. Sure there were alternate routes, but that was mostly a grate here or there for the stealth players.

AI was terrible in my opinion. Until you hit the
moon
base you can literally head shot everything from across the map no ADS needed. Missed shots won't alert the enemy nor will downed enemies notice their dead comrades. They just continue on their predetermined paths as if there isn't a headshot nazi near their feet. There was an especially bad scene in the level where you are on the bridge and three nazis (different distances from the door) and a robot are facing a door. You are on a walkway above the room. If you headshot the one closest to the door you get absolutely no reaction from the two nazis in the back of the room even though it is in their line of sight.

The flanking stuff gave the illusion of decent AI until you realized that every enemy on the map knows exactly where you are once you trigger an alert even if you move between cover and they didn't actually physically see you. Say hello to my grenade even though I didn't see you change positions :p Really hate when games do this.

The environments are bolstered by stellar art direction as they are varied and a visual delight through varying mood colour palettes.

Wish there were more levels where you could fully explore that world. Alot of the stuff you see in your screenshots you can't walk through as its all background in the distance and you are mostly trekking through Nazi camps/fortresses or indoors. I want to see these super concrete cities up. Basically I want to play in the world they built up with all the newspaper clippings, character conversations, etc. More showing and less telling now that they've established the world.

Finally, game can get pretty ugly at some points. Audio mixing is also really bad. Like...can't hear dialog and must turn on subtitles bad. So from that standpoint they hopefully can really improve things if they get another shot.

As a side note, why is BJ the one doing all the heavy lifting in this game after Caroline gets that
badass mech suit that allows her to walk again
? At least give him the freaking suit if he's going to go all one many army lol

The Llama

Only about an hour and a half in, but I really love it so far. Has a very old school (late 90's/early 2000's) vibe about it that I love.

tekrapid

Neo Member
This game took me by complete surprise. Went into it expecting just an old school fps, was totally blindsided by how good the story is(if a little cheesey). Suffice to say i went onto beat it twice over four days and it now ranks as one of my alltime favourite shooters. Definitely deserves all the praise it gets.

smurphdogg

Neo Member
Personally my only complaints with the game are that stealth kinda breaks it, mainly because the enemy AI is terrible at noticing dead bodies. Also I find the higher difficulties to be somewhat boring in that the enemies don't get any smarter or more aggressive.

Still think its a great game and thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Bloodrage

Banned
It's not my GOTY but Wolfenstein is the type of old school FPS that we need a lot more of these days. I don't buy any FPS that makes me feel like I need to use iron sights to aim "properly" anymore. That's (among other reasons) pretty much why I haven't bought a single COD since Modern Warfare in 2007, and I even sold that shit after I finished the campaign.
I will be buying Destiny though.

Grief.exe

It's not my GOTY but Wolfenstein is the type of old school FPS that we need a lot more of these days. I don't buy any FPS that makes me feel like I need to use iron sights to aim "properly" anymore. That's (among other reasons) pretty much why I haven't bought a single COD since Modern Warfare in 2007, and I even sold that shit after I finished the campaign.
I will be buying Destiny though.

It seemed to me that iron sights wasn't a requirement in Destiny. Sure, the crutch is there if you need to make use of it, but it seemed like there isn't a penalty for movement and shooting.

lord pie

iseI5Q3ImTq1s.gif

I feel the game has some of the best conveyance of emotion through animation. I can't really think of a better example, and yes that includes TLOU.

However the plot is complete nonsense and has some weird consistency issues (I'd swear you jump between Berlin and London as if they are the same). The VO balancing is a disaster - I had to play with subtitles on, and some elements just push things too far (like the audio logs of Anya's mother (?))
Still. Some of the best characterization and cutscene work in recent memory, best gunplay and immaculate attention to detail - be it the news paper clippings or subtle environment interactions.

"fuck you moon"

Top Bottom