• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman dies while riding roller coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw article on my facebook feed. Happened at six flags in Arlington,Texas about 30 minutes west of me.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/pers...s-texas-giant-ride-killed-dies-216239501.html
ARLINGTON - Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington has confirmed a woman died while riding the Texas Giant Friday night.
While news of the death quickly spread across Twitter, few details were confirmed as of 8 p.m.
Officials at Six Flags did not reveal how the woman died.

Six Flags official statement:
We are deeply saddened to share that earlier this evening an adult woman died in the park while on the Texas Giant. Park medical staff and local paramedics responded immediately. Since the safety of our guests and employees is our number one priority, the ride has been closed pending further investigation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends during this difficult time.
Originally an all wooden roller coaster introduced to the park in 1990, the ride was redesigned with a steel track and re-opened in April of 2011 during the theme park's 50th anniversary. The ride's tallest height is 153 feet and has a drop of 147 feet.
Six Flags says the ride has "a record-breaking bank" of 95 degrees, "steeper than any wooden coaster on the planet."
The park closed an area of Six Flags around the area of the accident.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/us/texas-roller-coaster-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- A woman died Friday while riding the Texas Giant roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, according to a statement released by the theme park.
The park did not detail release any details about how the woman died on the Texas Giant, touted as the tallest steel-hybrid roller coaster in the world.
"Since the safety of our guests and employees in our number one priority, the ride has been closed pending further investigation," the statement said.
The Arlington Police Department did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.
The Texas Giant was originally designed in 1990 as an all wooden roller coaster. It was redesigned with a steel track and reopened in April 2011 to mark the theme park's 50th anniversary.
At its highest point, the roller coaster is 153 feet and has a drop of 147 feet, according to the theme park.

Now many Texas GAFers and myself have ridden this ride at one point or another. I rode before the renovation and thought it was an incredibly unsafe ride. My thoughts are with her family. :/

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The park did not detail release any details about how the woman died on the Texas Giant, touted as the tallest steel-hybrid roller coaster in the world.

Uh, alright then. Thanks for the news I guess.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I could have sworn some guy died on the Superman Krypton Coaster a few year back. Kinda scary that she just tumbled out, I can't even imagine how traumatized her son must have been. Condolences for the family.

Keep it classy, people. I know a lot of people like to make jokes with this kind of story, but a kid had to watch his mom fall to her death while they were at an amusement park.

marrec

Banned
Ha! My avoidance of Roller Coasters has finally been vindicated! Take THAT HATERS!

Oh, ya, also... RIP and stuff.

Hylian7

I would like to know what the hell happened.

There's a huge difference between "She flew out." and "She had heart problems and had a heart attack."

People who are scared of roller coasters will use this story as a rationalization to continue avoiding roller coasters. Just admit you're scared!

kirblar

Usually these are heart conditions, but if this is true that is worrying.
That happened on a coaster here at Kings Dominion because someone got themselves out of the arm restraints and was promptly flung out when it hit the 90 degree perpendicular part. (It's a standing coaster.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I would like to know what the hell happened.

There's a huge difference between "She flew out." and "She had heart problems and had a heart attack."

My first instinct when hearing the story is to think heart condition. That's the most natural conclusion, and statistically more likely. But the witness said "she just tumbled out...that could have been me." So it sounds like she got flung off the coaster. Eugh...

I'm sure people were tweeting about it. If someone wanted to do some hunting you could probably find some tweets about what happened.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Wouldn't have someone tweeted that instantly?

they did.
frirqCt.jpg

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
When I was a kid, my brother nearly fell out of a roller coaster. We were sitting with each other and the roller coaster restraint was a fucking bar that folded down on your lap. Well it didn't go completely and he was small. I had to hold onto him.

I also got stuck on a roller coaster at 6 flags.

Then there was the hangman at Opryland which was aptly named hangman. Piece of shit.

They always seem questionable in terms of safety. I think skydiving is probably safer.

Probably not physically fit enough to ride it.

Edit:

Didn't see the tweets above. I wouldn't want to see some Final Destination stuff in real life.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not surprised. Roller coasters are fucking dumb.

Grizzlyjin

Poor guy, I'd have a mental freak out if I watched someone in front of me get flung off a coaster.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This is why you should also have seat belts as a precaution. Here in Canada's Wonderland has seat belts as a backup for every single ride.

There was a seatbelt. Supposedly it became undone.

EDIT: But then we have this saying no seat belts

http://www.aceonline.org/acenewsnow/?article=234

BTW I apologize for speculation over her death. Ultimately that is what is important, not the cause. Not trying to gossip for the sake of it.

This roller coaster accident in Japan always freaked me out:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...n-osaka-roller-coaster-accident/#.Uen50Y2krcc

Stand-up coaster breaks an axle, causing it to derail, a woman died because when the coaster derailed her head fucking smashed into a guard rail next to the track. Imagine if you were strapped in to your seats, unable to move as your face flies right at a big steel rail... then imagine if you were the person strapped in next to the lady that got her face smashed in.

Espada

Sweet lord, just imagining myself in that situation terrifies me. But however traumatic it must be for the twitter guy, the kid has it 100x worse.

Awful way to lose a loved one.

Oh my jesus, definitely in my top ten nightmares. I feel awful for everyone who say this, everyone in her life... really, just everyone. Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom