• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman diverts flight after US plane birth, may pay fines, alleged maternity tourist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for a slightly jumbled topic title. Couldn't get all the facts in. Taiwanese woman may face hefty bill for US plane birth
TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — A Taiwanese woman who gave birth on a flight to the U.S. in what may have been an attempt to give her baby American citizenship could face a hefty bill for forcing the plane to divert to Alaska.

The insurance firm of China Airlines will decide whether to ask the unnamed passenger to cover the cost of the stopover to ensure the health of her baby, airline media affairs staffer Weni Lee said Friday. The flight made an emergency landing en route from Taipei to Los Angeles on Oct. 8.

Taiwanese media have estimated the bill at $33,000, although the airline said its insurer is still calculating the cost.

The local media have widely reported that the woman evidently wanted to give the child American citizenship. Taiwan's China Times newspaper's website said that, before giving birth, she repeatedly asked the cabin crew, "Are we in U.S. air space?"

Those comments couldn't be verified, and Lee said she could not confirm whether the passenger had made them.

Alaska state officials say the baby is eligible for U.S. citizenship. A baby born in flight has the right to be a U.S. citizen if that is where the child first arrives, even if born in international air space, said Susan Morgan, spokeswoman for the Alaska Department of Social Services.

The incident has garnered widespread attention in Taiwan, even rising to the level of parliamentary debate earlier this week.

"This is a selfish act," ruling party legislator Luo Shu-lei shouted to the transportation minister during a session Monday. "It was clearly an act carried out to give the child U.S. citizenship. She affected the travel of other passengers. Is there no punishment?"

The China Times website said the woman was 36-weeks pregnant, but that she told the airline she was less than 32-weeks pregnant. Under Taiwanese law, passengers must provide a medical certificate saying they are fit to fly if they have passed the 32nd week of pregnancy.

The woman, whose identity has been kept confidential, was sent back Saturday from Alaska to Taiwan without the baby. American authorities have not said why.

Before the 1980s, when Taiwan was still developing economically, some mothers tried to give birth in the United States, but nowadays that is rare. A cottage industry has sprung up in recent years facilitating the travel of women from mainland China to the U.S. to give birth and obtain automatic American citizenship for their babies.

zeemumu

And the other passengers were so happy to finally have a flight with no screaming baby onboard for once, too...

Why did they send her back without the baby? That's fucked up.

rambis

Banned
Just a fucked up story all around. And her home government just seems salty that she would rather her child be American.

The baby was breathing american air! It's american!!!!!
Citizenship laws...I think being on American airspace will grant you citizenship.

Just feel bad for the other passengers on the flight who had to go through the lady's birth on plane, and then being forced to stayover in Alaska.

Aren't you not supposed to fly during the last trimester for health reasons?

I admit I could be wrong, but I *think* it's something like that.

lazygecko

Was having a discussion about bizarre scenarios like these just a few weeks ago and this was the exact scenario I brought up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Citizenship laws...I think being on American airspace will grant you citizenship.

Just feel bad for the other passengers on the flight who had to go through the lady's birth on plane, and then being forced to stayover in Alaska.

It's mentioned in the OP OP.

Alaska state officials say the baby is eligible for U.S. citizenship. A baby born in flight has the right to be a U.S. citizen if that is where the child first arrives, even if born in international air space, said Susan Morgan, spokeswoman for the Alaska Department of Social Services.

Aren't you not supposed to fly during the last trimester for health reasons?

I admit I could be wrong, but I *think* it's something like that.

She lied about how long she had been pregnant.

massoluk

Banned
Seriously, this woman does not deserve to raise this baby. Clearly she didn't give a shit if the baby can be safely delivered.

Mesoian

We should probably have a serious discussion on repealing the "born on american soil gives you american citizenship" thing. Seems like people go to great lengths and dangers to try and give birth in places that can technically get them into this country.

Seriously, this woman does not deserve to raise this baby. Clearly she didn't give a shit if the baby can be safely delivered.

I mean, safely delivered versus having a "better life". There are a lot of people that would risk it in order to be able to legally live in the states. Just look at russian brides and human trafficking.

Tagyhag

Man imagine knowing that you were born on a plane, sounds pretty cool.

Shame about them being separated but why cut it so close if you want your baby to have citizenship? Just risking both your lives.

shira

Are we in U.S. air space?
thinking.gif
thinking.gif
charm_facepalm.gif
charm_facepalm.gif

ryan13ts

I can't really think it's awful for a mother to want a potentially better life for her child by being born here and getting citizenship. Granted, I was under the impression that Taiwan wasn't the worst place on earth compared to other countries atm. How is the ecomonic/social climate over there now?

My god...some of these article comments

anchor babies will come to the US and with their citizenship status will run for positions and or work for our government agencies chipping away at our liberties and changes our rights. There will soon be enough to change america through the inaction of our government and the constant legal fights that have gone on over the years and continue to give these folks some rights you know the illegals. I will always believe to me a citizen you must be born here of at least one american citizen not by naturalization and or obtain it by naturalization processes.

Am I correct in assuming that even at twice the estimated fines it would pose no deterrent to the economic status of your typical birth tourist from that part of the world?

braves01

Banned
Another talking point for the presidential candidates. I suppose the baby wasn't in good enough health to be sent back with her?

pigeon

Banned
And the other passengers were so happy to finally have a flight with no screaming baby onboard for once, too...

Why did they send her back without the baby? That's fucked up.

The baby's an American citizen. American citizens can't be deported. INS doesn't have the authority to let her take the baby.

I had a work friend who was in America on a work visa and had a kid while in the Bay Area. He lived in terror of our company failing, because he and his wife would be sent back to Canada, but their kid would stay behind and be put in foster care.

It's a totally screwed up system.

Taiwan is not some third world country or war zone. There are plenty of economic opportunity there. Please don't compare it to those seeking to get out of legitimately shitty situations in other countries.

Tesseract

Banned
this is why the whole because you betrayed the law thing is funny, we're too stupid to know when to ignore prime directives

The baby's an American citizen. American citizens can't be deported. INS doesn't have the authority to let her take the baby.

I had a work friend who was in America on a work visa and had a kid while in the Bay Area. He lived in terror of our company failing, because he and his wife would be sent back to Canada, but their kid would stay behind and be put in foster care.

It's a totally screwed up system.
Just a small correction: INS has been disbanded in favor of USCIS after Dept of Homeland Security was established after 9/11...havent heard anyone use the term INS in a decade lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom