• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman goes 24 hours without spending any money. So proud she writes an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Flo_Evans said:
Not bragging at all. There are plenty of gaffers that make way more than I do. Just telling you some basic facts.
What facts? People are outraged that she considers opening a box of cereal for breakfast some extraordinary way to save money.

All of that other bullshit you posted might as well have not been.

It must be nice to be rich

I really wish eating Trader Joes cereal gave me an "overwhelming sense of satisfaction and feeling of elation"

I mean, I enjoy my fruity pebbles store brand version but it certainly doesn't overwhelm me :(

unomas

Banned
People have become so self absorbed and lost touch with reality that this article is hardly shocking. Reading this made me feel like throwing up, I typically spend money on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday when I do my grocery shopping. During the week I barely if ever drop a penny on anything. She also spent more in one day than I spend on 1 week's worth of groceries.

Flo_Evans

Korey said:
What facts? People are outraged that she considers opening a box of cereal for breakfast some extraordinary way to save money.

All of that other bullshit you posted might as well have not been.

Sorry I was responding to the thread, enough people already called the article stupid. Keep on posting your really thoughtful and informative drivel though, that helps allot.

BTW I just got back from lunch.

70keg8.jpg

I had the tacos and water for $8. The rest was my guest. Worth every penny!

*tips top hat, polishes monocle*

I do say, I wonder what the poor people are doing these days? Doing things for themselves, you say? Frightful notion. Simply frightful.

Wanace

That's nothing.

Why just the other week I went 24 hours without:

Tipping
Fucking a Family Member
Getting Circumcised
Cheating
Beating my significant other

The next day I did all those things, but still!

Atrus

Gold Member
Flo_Evans said:
I'd post my bank account(s) but people would accuse me of bragging.

I'd rather spend and have a small savings than worry about every dime. I am not talking about going into debt, this woman is able to afford certain luxuries why shouldn't she? Society would break down and lots of people would starve if we all had to hunt an farm for our meals.

Oh look another banker saying to give them your money! They are so smart! They never lose money or collapse! You can find waste in my spending? Wow I listed most of it in my post! You sure are smart guy, here take all my money and watch it for me while I make pb&j sandwiches!

You have a diffrent perception of money. To me money is for exchanging, for you it is accumulating. Who enjoys thier money/time more?

The issue here is the stupid thought about how 'accumulating wealth' is for idiots, a line of thought so offensive it is the ruin of nations.

FYI I don't just work at a bank, I work two professional positions within the Accounting/Finance sector and only one is with a bank.

I've seen hundreds of people with the same line of thought. I make my money, therefore I'll spend as much of it on stuff as possible. Then they do it, and before you know it they are in the same economic piss hole of people who make far less.

The only sorts of people who do better? The people who accumulate wealth. Why? Because it takes money to make money and it takes accumulated wealth in order to make wealth work for you.

You need a cool quarter million before some of the mid-tier capital markets bank services will even acknowledge you exist. You need at least several million before you can make prime+0 loans from banks because you're special. What's that? That's the process by which millionaires can make money with next to no risk because simply putting it into a government T-bill earns them realtively safe profits, and those with tens of millions will make more off of the pitiful interest and not working, than you would actually working at $125/hour.

The audacity of calling it a strategy for idiots makes my mind commit figurative suicide every single time I witness the real life results of the 'live now, spend now' strategy. A strategy that is at its best when you die now or in the near future.

Flo_Evans

Atrus said:
The issue here is the stupid thought about how 'accumulating wealth' is for idiots, a line of thought so offensive it is the ruin of nations.

FYI I don't just work at a bank, I work two professional positions within the Accounting/Finance sector and only one is with a bank.

I've seen hundreds of people with the same line of thought. I make my money, therefore I'll spend as much of it on stuff as possible. Then they do it, and before you know it they are in the same economic piss hole of people who make far less.

The only sorts of people who do better? The people who accumulate wealth. Why? Because it takes money to make money and it takes accumulated wealth in order to make wealth work for you.

You need a cool quarter million before some of the mid-tier capital markets bank services will even acknowledge you exist. You need at least several million before you can make prime+0 loans from banks because you're special. What's that? That's the process by which millionaires can make money with next to no risk because simply putting it into a government T-bill earns them realtively safe profits, and those with tens of millions will make more off of the pitiful interest and not working, than you would actually working at $125/hour.

The audacity of calling it a strategy for idiots makes my mind commit figurative suicide every single time I witness the real life results of the 'live now, spend now' strategy. A strategy that is at its best when you die now or in the near future.
That is sound advice. But I will never have a quarter mill till my parents/grandparents die. All excess cash past my 100k cushin is reinvested in my bussiness in new employees, office space and computers/software.

It doesn't make sense right now to stack cash when I am expanding... Of course I have reserves, emerency funds ect. I built these up not spending eating ramen noodles. At this point I have enough where I am comfortable enjoying the spoils of my hard work.

Animosaro

Neo Member
There actually are many people like the woman in the OP. I've worked with many and I know more. For them, maybe baby steps are valuable. That the woman in the article couldn't control her own spending while running a financial advisory firm is pathetic.

I read somewhere that Mercedes drivers in the US (as of a few years ago) actually had a lower net worth than the average American. (Stupid) people match their expenses to their income.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Flo_Evans said:
That is sound advice. But I will never have a quarter mill till my parents/grandparents die. All excess cash past my 100k cushin is reinvested in my bussiness in new employees, office space and computers/software.

It doesn't make sense right now to stack cash when I am expanding... Of course I have reserves, emerency funds ect. I built these up not spending eating ramen noodles. At this point I have enough where I am comfortable enjoying the spoils of my hard work.
Right, the problem is that a lot of people nowadays don't save their reserves. I think that's the point he's trying to get at. You get people with an attitude of "well, I'll just be true to myself and do what I feel like now and live life as a free spirit, who needs to worry about the future?" and end up with massive credit card debt, living in a foreclosed home, with pretty much no future, because they didn't think about the consequences of their actions. Once you're in a financially stable situation, like you seem to be, than sure, enjoy the fruits of your labors. As long as you're spending doesn't jeopardize your financial integrity, that is.

Which ties into the whole financial crisis in general, but that's another topic.
Atrus, in addition to having an awesome avatar and even more awesome name (I had him from Revelation as my avatar for a few months), I also agree entirely with your post earlier in the thread about how people mishandle money. People didn't think ahead, and it screwed them over. Big time.

(this is a particularly personal issue because for the last two decades everyone called my parents nuts for being frugal, and living inside our means, trading excess luxury for (almost) guaranteed longterm stability, when it was "totally obvious that the economy was booming, and everything was great". Who's laughing now bitches?! *ahem* sorry....)

Korey said:
ROFL.

For posterity, here are a list of related links to people bashing her:

Reddit
Twitter <- hilarious
MetaFilter

Related:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-am-so-starving-vs-i-am-so-starving,11541/

Holy shit, what an amazing end to the story, she deleted the article.

Clearly, when she wrote it, she actually, honest to god, thought she was doing a good thing. I know people like her. Theyre so lost in their own little world that money doesnt actually mean anything.

I have a friend. She might say "$5 for a cookie? No thanks" but the very next day "Im flying to argentina for the 3 day weekend!" She doesnt understand the concept of money.

The writer of the article has a second article out that talks about the "huge risk" she took in starting a business, how she invested everything she had. Except, it was never a risk. If she would have lost is ALL daddy would have been there for her. She never would have had to skip a meal. Never would have been late on rent.

The comments on the deleted article and twitter essentially destroy her.

I wonder if shell look at this from behind her mothers dress and ask how the world could be so mean to her, or if shell wake up and realzie shes living in a fairy tale.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
^ It depends on how people perceive value. To be honest I wouldn't buy a $5 cookie :lol Then again I don't consider a trip to Argentina worth the money it asks of me. Now, ask me to go to an amusement/theme park somewhere and I'll do whatever I can to get there. I went one week to the Orlando parks with my sister and paid everything for her and me... and I felt awesome, fulfilled and happy. Yes, I burned through cash a lot, but the "value" i got was much much greater than a cookie.

(I know you used a theoretical example =P)

Zilch

Banned
I wouldn't buy a 5 dollar cookie. I would fly to Argentina for the weekend. I guess I don't understand money (?).

Cyan

Banned
Korey said:
ROFL.

For posterity, here are a list of related links to people bashing her:

Reddit
Twitter <- hilarious
MetaFilter

Related:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-am-so-starving-vs-i-am-so-starving,11541/
Haha, some of the comments are gold:

One day, instead of taking my usual daily trip to the mall to buy a new shirt and pair of pants, I opened a door in my house, and sure enough, there were the other clothes I had previously purchased--perfect. Within minutes, I had donned a shirt/tie combination from these very same clothes (Who knew?) I forgot how much I enjoyed wearing a simple outfit of clean clothes obtained from my "closet." I was energized and motivated by this frugal lifestyle.
I'm going to fill my porsche with gas, stock my kitchen with meat, expensive cheese and fine wine. I will have my maid make a lunch for me and take it to work. And on this day, I will not spend a penny.
This reminds me of an article I read by this woman who couldn't check into her expensive hotel room for some reason and then suddenly was able to totally identify with homeless people.

Aaron

Zilch said:
I wouldn't buy a 5 dollar cookie. I would fly to Argentina for the weekend. I guess I don't understand money (?).
I think the reverse. $5 is not a major investment, especially if you were offered a gourmet cookie that you never tried before. A trip to Argentina is a major expense. Going for a weekend seems foolish when you could go for a week or even two with only minor additional expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom