• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women are better than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
agree with ebert. for instance, i think a man making a cake is more likely to burn the cake or to ruin it by putting racing stripes on it, or getting dirt in the icing. while women will make the cake really pretty, and put flowers on it, the edible kind.

they're just better.

ronito

Yep. When I worked for companies in IT, I almost always had better experiences working with my male coworkers. I couldn't supervise other women without becoming the bad guy. Women on the same level were difficult to work with due to all the passive aggressiveness and moodiness when things didn't go the right way (I can work around anger--don't want anything to do with tears).

Maybe it's an IT thing though. Now that I'm in education, I'm surrounded by women (and all older at that). I don't have any issues working with anyone professionally, but it is still a lot harder to relate due to the differences in age and interests compared to my male coworkers.

Maybe it's a corporate thing?
In IT it's terrible, marketing, sales and finance it's equally bad, HR is less bad but not much. I will say in public sector I haven't really seen the terribleness. The thing about it though is that I constantly hear women bitching about other women but guys just don't have problems with them. Really weird.

Also, wow at what became of this thread. And timedog pulling the "neckbeard" card for a guy that keeps on being like "be understanding!" and all that, it's really disappointing. I guess we all have biases.

Demon Ice

Banned
Yes, well I can right my name in pee while peeing. Beat that women!

image.php

This has to be Ebert trolling. Wait for the "Men are better than women" Father's day piece.

zoukka

Yep, men are assholes in general. No I don't care if you are an exception to the rule.

I blame "boys will be boys" parenting.

Emitan

"Women are better than men"

Well duh. Boobies~

EDIT: Oh shit, Devo and Timedog are banned. Who knows what havoc they'll create now that the two of them are GAF free.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
cr_blah_blah said:
Its certainly not a clear gender divide but from what i've witnessed the genders tend to like the other more than their own, especially when it comes to work. That's not mind blowing at all but i've rarely come across different.

My mom, sister, aunts, girlfriend and female Co workers absolutely hate working with and for other females. They day they're manipulative, saboteurs, and incredibly emotionally inconsistent. That they'd much rather work for a guy boss because women tend to bring their baggage and take it out on the job or coworkers. The stories i've been told about sabotaging careers out situations because they didn't like them for some unknown reason seemed insane to me.

On the opposite end I've had basically nothing but positive experiences with female bosses our coworkers

Man, I hear so many horror stories about working with women but I have never had any bad experiences myself and I have worked with women many times before! I've had a few problems with male co-workers mostly in my current work but I get along with them just fine as well. I think that if someone is an asshole, they're gonna be an asshole to you no matter what your gender is.

FyreWulff

Man, I hear so many horror stories about working with women but I have never had any bad experiences myself and I have worked with women many times before! I've had a few problems with male co-workers mostly in my current work but I get along with them just fine as well. I think that if someone is an asshole, they're gonna be an asshole to you no matter what your gender is.

For me, it's been pretty shitty to work at any place that's mostly one gender or the other. Need a decent mix of both to make it tenable.

Female heavy: get shat on, everyone is constantly at war, bunch of 40-50 year old women acting like it's high school, people in the middle get pooped on. But if you do well you'll move up.

Male heavy: overload of machismo, can't move up unless you join "the club" no matter how well you do, but nobody remembers that you were late by 5 minutes 3 months ago.

Mixed: both sides cancel the stupidity out

Love how Timedog was debating rape culture in the other thread(Rightfully so) and than proceeds to call the entirety of GAF neckbeard virgins. So much for trying to reduce the "You're nothing without sex" mentality!

As for this. I don't think the differences people have truly matter as much as some would like to believe. "Good" and "bad" people come in all spectrums.

Jangocube

Banned
So many bitter nerds in this thread. I ctrl+F Devo and my screen populates with more clueless neckbeard virgins than a fucking moe convention. Keep up the good work though, and by good work I mean fantasizing about the day you'll finally hold hands with a girl.

You seem pretty mad bro.

This article would have been better without the lame catchy title, but I think it has it's fair share of good points. Work places are always better when their is a good balance of men and women.

i feel like this is a start of a new era in gaf history....holy shit

also nice bait thread, hahah, i mean cmon you had to know hwo this would turn out

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Yeah, but who knows if many women would act the same way as the men once they're tempted by all that power. Meg Whitman and Linda McMahon don't seem all that great.

Certainly, though, the qualities traditionally ascribed to women would be better for our society.

This thread just feels like its existence is to rile up conflict for no real discernible reason.

Some women are awesome. Some aren't. Some men are awesome. Some aren't. Simple as that. I believe in superior individuals, who becomes so through strength of personality or perseverance, tenacity, smarts, talent, etc. But there is no superior sex or race or whatever.

But then I see a gorgeous woman, shaking her butt, and I'm like daaaaaaaaaamn and at that moment, yeah women are superior.

But asides from that, you know. Case by case basis, baby.

If I had to live on a desert island for the rest of my life, of course I would chose to do so with a woman. This doesn't mean that women are better though. I'm sure if one of my bros were on the island with me, we would be fine. But women give you the complete package. You can joke along with them and have fun, but you can be sensitive and talk about feelings, plus you can have sexy time.

I usually avoid topics like this because it is completely opinion based. Usually sweeping generalizations get thrown around that are impossible to back up with statistics or any real proof. People get offended, then insults are thrown around, then bans.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How old is Ebert now? Sure, maybe his generation of women are sweet and nice, but the modern woman is about as "snails and puppy dog tails" as men nowadays. I know very few "nice" women around my age.

Dan Yo

Banned
it was a joke. It's pretty well documented that men are more likely to die younger, we're more likely to drink and drive and engage in other risky activity as well. That's why men on average pay a bit more than women drivers.
Statistically, women are worse drivers, although men are riskier drivers. Insurance companies wanted to charge one of the sexes more, and knew they sure as hell could never get away with charging women more than men.

Do you think men deserve to pay more? If a study came out showing blacks to be more dangerous drivers on average than whites, do you feel insurance companies would be justified in charging them more?

Gaborn

Statistically, women are worse drivers, although men are riskier drivers. Insurance companies wanted to charge one of the sexes more, and knew they sure as hell could never get away with charging women more than men.

Do you think men deserve to pay more? If a study came out showing blacks to be more dangerous drivers on average than whites, do you feel insurance companies would be justified in charging them more?

Men deserve to pay more if from an actuarial stand point they are more likely to cause damage to their car and/or others that the insurance company would pay for. And to your second question, sure. Insurance is about actuarial averages, I think it's smart business to encourage customers with the opportunity to lower their rates with a safe driving record over a period of time but the bottom line is insurance companies should be free to charge what they will - with the understanding it is likely that if they charge too much they'll lose customers to other more competitive companies.

Bombadil

Banned
Men deserve to pay more if from an actuarial stand point they are more likely to cause damage to their car and/or others that the insurance company would pay for. And to your second question, sure. Insurance is about actuarial averages, I think it's smart business to encourage customers with the opportunity to lower their rates with a safe driving record over a period of time but the bottom line is insurance companies should be free to charge what they will - with the understanding it is likely that if they charge too much they'll lose customers to other more competitive companies.

Do you also think that men deserve to get paid more than women because women are more likely to be supported by a husband and take maternity leave?

Gaborn

Do you also think that men deserve to get paid more than women because women are more likely to be supported by a husband and take maternity leave?

That's not an actuarial issue so I'm not going to say "deserve." I think that unequal pay occurs for complex reasons, my political view is companies should be legally able to pay their employees as they wish. However, from a personal standpoint my opinion is that home situation should be irrelevant, if a woman is doing the same work as a man she and the man should be paid identically. I think separately there probably is an effect where the fact women are somewhat more likely to leave the workforce for a time on maternity leave and that might have an impact on average pay, but I don't think it justifies the size of the gap in terms of a meritocracy.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
i tend to think men + women are better, both sexes working together for something is beautiful. Theres always a ton of these stories /op ed's or even tests but the bottom line is one without the other is lame.

nyong

Banned
Eh, from what I've seen in relationships women are just as quick to use violence as men are. Not to mention women can be (quickly) socialized in the military to kill just as easily as men.

I think the sexes are a LOT more similar than people tend to think.

Bombadil

Banned
That's not an actuarial issue so I'm not going to say "deserve." I think that unequal pay occurs for complex reasons, my political view is companies should be legally able to pay their employees as they wish. However, from a personal standpoint my opinion is that home situation should be irrelevant, if a woman is doing the same work as a man she and the man should be paid identically. I think separately there probably is an effect where the fact women are somewhat more likely to leave the workforce for a time on maternity leave and that might have an impact on average pay, but I don't think it justifies the size of the gap in terms of a meritocracy.

I don't think men should have to pay higher insurance rates because of actuarial data. The insurance companies should adjust the costs on a per individual basis. I don't care if a hundred million males have gotten into car accidents before I came along. You can't charge me more on the assumption that I'm going to be a reckless driver. And that's the point I was trying to make. True equality AND fairness can only exist if the insurance companies and employers decide on costs and salaries on an individual basis, meaning that the history/experience of the individual should be the determining factor in how much they have to pay in insurance costs and how much they earn from their employer, NOT their gender.

Zoe

Maybe it's a corporate thing?
In IT it's terrible, marketing, sales and finance it's equally bad, HR is less bad but not much. I will say in public sector I haven't really seen the terribleness. The thing about it though is that I constantly hear women bitching about other women but guys just don't have problems with them. Really weird.

Well I had my first "Are you fucking kidding me?!" moment today :lol

It was pouring down rain right before a training at my building for a web app I built, and the HR girl who was supposed to be the one presenting it called us up and asked us if we could be the ones making the presentation. Why? Because she was wearing white pants and didn't want to show up with them all wet -_-

To be fair, the other women on my team were as speechless as I was. Maybe it's an HR thing :p

Well what do you know, a site has responded to Ebert's article

According to film-critic Roger Ebert[1]: “Women are nicer than men. There are exceptions. Most people of both sexes are probably fairly nice, given the nature of their upbringing and opportunities. But in terms of their lifelong natures, women are kinder, more empathetic, more generous. And the sooner more of them take positions of power, the better our chances as a species.”

That is the beginning of Ebert’s 1500 word pean to women, published on Mother’s Day, and yes, it’s another one of those articles. Men are bad, women are good, men are worse, women are better, men are the worst thing ever, and women are just the best, squee!!!

The top rated comment on the movie reviewer’s tedious recitation of gender feminist dogma is:

“Bravo, Roger! Now *this* is a column that took balls to write! I hope you get lovely comments from your readers. Bollocks to the ones who don’t like it”

Considering that Ebert is a professional reviewer of commercial entertainment, the principal consumers of which are women, I can certainly see that it really did take big brass balls to devote an entire column to flattering his audience. Well done Roger, you brave, brave soul.

It is also just a coincidence that the movie reviewer’s view on the relative merits of women as better, smarter, more nurturing, more human, and just generally superior is a perfect reflection of the common thread of female flattery and disdain for men prevalent in all commercial entertainment. Coincidentally, one of the reasons men are a minority of the consumers of such entertainment, is it’s not-quite-so entertaining to be told over and over that due to owning external genitalia, you’re worthless.

Ebert, in his attempt to ingratiate himself to a mostly female audience has done what countless other approval seeking men have done. Simply, to metaphorically prostrate himself – declaring – look, I’m a good man, not like those other bad men, you see how I heap scorn on them and flatter you? Approve of me!

Interestingly, this is where Ebert inadvertently reveals his contempt for his audience. How debased must women be, how small minded, selfish and weak; that to feel better about themselves – they must degrade their brothers, fathers, sons and other men around them? What’s worse, is how stupidly childish must we think women are to heap them with such degrading sexist flattery – assuming they will not notice our assumptions of their vain and venal character. Surely, we can hold women in higher regard than this. Not Roger, but if he is not rejected in his sycophantic pseudo flattery, his assumptions of his audience’s character might even be right.

Aside from notation that his attitude mirrors the standard trope of movie and television that women are superior in every way, Ebert’s male-abasing and false esteem is a tired and monotonous repetition of standard gender ideology.

Sing along with me, you all know the words!

Women are better then men!
Boom boom boom!
They do everything better than them!
Boom boom boom!

Ladies are generally nicer!
Quack quack quack!
Their thoughts and feelings are higher!
Quack quack quack!

Girls and women are smarter!
Bing! Bang! Smash!
To keep up, men must try harder!
Clang! Bang! Bash!

Et Cetera.

Ebert actually admits that his view of the “superior sex” is based on too many hours immersed in the fantasy world of produced entertainment, although he doesn’t seem to notice his own admission.

According to Ebert: “This occurred to me while watching a forthcoming movie named “Where Do We Go Now?” It could have occurred during dozens or hundreds of movies.”

Women in movies generally are superior to men, because they’re written that way, to flatter the sensibilities of the intended audience. The failure to notice that fiction reflects the assumptions and intentions of its authors rather than objective reality being a common thread in women-are-better social commentary from other writers, which base those assumptions on movie and television reality rather than, **ahem** real reality.

The sycophant notes the trend of women’s rapid displacement of men in higher education, but fails to connect that to decades of overhaul of the educational system, rendering it hostile to men.

Referring again to Ebert’s words: “I could bore you with more statistics, but I doubt you need convincing. Most of these things are intuitively true.”

This, by the way is how bigotry works. Facts? We don’t need no stinkin facts! I know Whites are smarter than Blacks because it feels right!

Whoops, not blacks, I meant women are better than men, Ha, silly me, putting one demographic above another based on biological characteristic of identity would be racist, which is just stupid bigotry with no place in a modern, enlightened society.

Oh, dear me, how embarrassing that I almost suggested something so bigoted. Anyway, back to Ebert’s astute observations of superiority of one biological group over another.

Ebert repeats the endlessly debunked wage gap myth, and also lies about the social science showing fatherlessness as the largest predictor of negative outcomes for children. Ebert skips entirely over the champion position mothers hold in the Olympic sport of infanticide and child killing. He also notes that fathers are more likely to be missing from their children’s lives, but fails totally to examine a monetized family court system and cultural norms which forcibly sever men from their families. Ebert goes on to predictably characterize men’s attraction to strippers as childish mommy-seeking. The point of his piece is, after all, not to enlighten, but to vilify one group and flatter another.

However, throughout all this naked sucking up to women, Roger Ebert depends on those superior beings to never notice that if compliment or admiration depends on the rhetorical degradation of men, his view of women is of infants lacking self reflection or empathy. Ebert depends on his preferred sex being cruel and cowardly, and never noticing this assumption he makes of them. Interestingly, he steers close to self parody in a few places. One such is in naming the superior sex’s inclination to nurture the defenceless.

This ignores the entirety of human history in which men have killed and died in the defence of women, and that in all our eagerness to vilify men, calling them lesser humans, and calling women superior, more ethical, more empathic, we demonstrate a failure of the vaunted womanly empathy and ethical supremacy we lay a claim to.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/misandry/roger-ebert-is-better-than-women/

Monocle

A lot of the male behaviors Ebert criticizes aren't intrinsically male, but rather products of socialization. And a lot of the generalizations he makes seem rooted in sexist assumptions about the "natures" of men and women. Maybe the point he didn't realize he was looking for is that men's patriarchal gender roles have had many ill effects in societies past and present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom