• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful World of Soda

Paasei

Last time I had a soda was probably 6 years ago. Cream soda and root beer are really hard to find here and have actually never tasted them.

lil puff

Last time I had a soda was probably 6 years ago. Cream soda and root beer are really hard to find here and have actually never tasted them.
Yuck on the Cream Soda. Never liked it. My dad loves it. Root Beer, I believe may be called Asparilla in some areas.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Okay, here's the Mello Yellow situation. I live in Colorado but work in North Dakota. At home, nobody's heard of it. In North Dakota... it's on tap at every restaurant. I hadn't tried it until I started working up here and it kills any other soda I've tasted. In the hope that I'll have ongoing, better tomorrows I stay away from it as best I can, but mercy is it good.

If you'd like some, just tell me where to send it.

This may not count, but a few years back you could get Vanilla New York Seltzer. Stuff was amazing but it disappeared for a decade or so. They brought it back and either I've changed or it has because it's kind of vile to me now.
So interesting turn of events... I showed my GF this post and she was like "what?! I don't want you giving our address to some stranger to get soda in the mail... I'll order some"

...so that's what she did. I'll have some Mello Yello in a few days! The magic of this thread is working!

And I vouched for you Jeff, I really appreciate you even offering that. Super cool of you.

lil puff

Sasparilla, I meant. Or Birch Beer. For those looking for Root Beer.

We had Mellow Yellow on the East Coast US, for quite awhile, but I have not seen it lately.

ar0s

M
When I went to college, a big selling point of the school cafeteria was that they had unlimited Mr. Pibb.

Wait, this is a real soda? Always thought it was a made up one for American Dad. o_O

I don't drink a lot of soda. Apart from energy drinks, which I drink way too much of.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Okay, here's the Mello Yellow situation. I live in Colorado but work in North Dakota. At home, nobody's heard of it. In North Dakota... it's on tap at every restaurant. I hadn't tried it until I started working up here and it kills any other soda I've tasted. In the hope that I'll have ongoing, better tomorrows I stay away from it as best I can, but mercy is it good.

If you'd like some, just tell me where to send it.

This may not count, but a few years back you could get Vanilla New York Seltzer. Stuff was amazing but it disappeared for a decade or so. They brought it back and either I've changed or it has because it's kind of vile to me now.

This surprises me! I reside in South Dakota, and Mellow Yellow is incredibly common. Thought it was like that for most of the US!

I'm one of those lifetime soda addicts who has reformed. I had a soda every day for years, always so good with EVERYthing. Coke, Pepsi, Orange Soda, Mtn Dew - always good with different foods. Root beer.. yeah. Anyway knocking at the age of 42 on NYE I decided to give it up cold turkey (after trying several times over the years, and usually crawling back after several months). It's been about a year and a half now, I'm a pretty steady water drinker. Miss it? Of course. Over it? Certainly..

This used to be me. I would have 3-4 cans of Soda a day for years, but I quit back when I was 19. I started drinking it again this year and I still love it - but thanks to a lack of funds and better control - I only have it about once a week. It is definitely a nice treat after a long week. Personally my favorite is Dr Pepper, Cherry Vanilla Coke, and any sort of Cream Soda. Just delish.

MC Safety

Amazon Fresh offers cases of glass-bottled Mexican Cokes. It is awesome.

My old man owned a factory, and it had the soda machines that sold and dispensed the smaller Cokes in the green-glass bottles. When he sold the place, I begged him to let us keep one of the machines. He told me they didn't make those Cokes anymore, and we let the machine go.

It is one of the great regrets of my life. They sell those Cokes almost everywhere now.

Nymphae

Banned
We haven't had Tahiti Treat up here in Canada for what feels like a couple decades. 2 days ago I found some cans of "Tahitian Treat" in a local variety store, and nearly shit my pants. I bought 3 cans on the spot. That shit was crack soda for children.

Xiaoki

Wait, this is a real soda? Always thought it was a made up one for American Dad. o_O
Mr Pibb was a Dr Pepper rip off by Coca-Cola.

Theres a store near me that does candy and pop. But its candy thats hard to find and pop that has around 100 different varieties with wacky flavors like Corn, Pecan Pie or Alien Blood.
I try to make it there about once a month. Get some candy I havent seen since highschool and some horrible tasting pop.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Mr Pibb was a Dr Pepper rip off by Coca-Cola.

Theres a store near me that does candy and pop. But its candy thats hard to find and pop that has around 100 different varieties with wacky flavors like Corn, Pecan Pie or Alien Blood.
I try to make it there about once a month. Get some candy I havent seen since highschool and some horrible tasting pop.

OOoooh, what is the worst flavour you had? I still haven't had anything worse than Bacon Flavored. Shit was nasty.

Xiaoki

OOoooh, what is the worst flavour you had? I still haven't had anything worse than Bacon Flavored. Shit was nasty.
Ive had Bacon flavored pop as well but the worst by FAR was

Lesters%20Fixins%20Ranch%20Full.jpg
It really does taste like you're drinking Ranch dressing

Coca Cola is my favorite cola flavor. I like cherry coke too. But on a freestyle machine, I like to mix half regular coke and half cherry coke.

IMO Squirt is the best citrus flavor soda. I also like black cherry, cream soda and an occasional root beer.

There is an Italian deli nearby that sells blood orange soda imported from Italy. It's the best orange soda I've ever had. It's kind of expensive, a 16oz bottle is like $5. But I get everytime I eat there because it's so good. (I don't normally like Orange soda, such as Fanta)

I miss this so much:
3785145b97161cefc3abdiod00.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I tried Lidl's store brand Freeway Vanilla Coke and it was better than Coca-Cola Vanilla.
I wish I could find Vimto and root beer here...

It's Jeff

Banned
This surprises me! I reside in South Dakota, and Mellow Yellow is incredibly common. Thought it was like that for most of the US!

For over three decades, I'd never known about it. It's awesome.

Is it still cool to mix the drinks at the fountain together? I believe we used to call that a "suicide." Yellow's a great base in one of those.

ickythingz

Banned
You Pepsi people make me sick.
"What will you have to drink?"
"Can I get a coke please?"
"is Pepsi OK?"
I hate this line more than anything....

Parents would would never buy soda for me as a kid. So I only started drinking in my 20s basically. Was drinking like 1L of coke a day min through most my 20s.

Never got fat or anything though. But in my 30s I basically just stopped to be healthier. I don't know if I am actually healthier. But I only have the occasional soda these days. Maybe twice month max.

BTW. My preference is still just classic Coka Cola. And I don't like diet versions of drinks.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Organic coke > regular coke

Curious, what is the difference between the two and what makes coke "organic"?

For over three decades, I'd never known about it. It's awesome.

Is it still cool to mix the drinks at the fountain together? I believe we used to call that a "suicide." Yellow's a great base in one of those.

Depends on the store, but the vast majority of places I know of don't care as you pay for the single drink. If you fill multiple cups up and try to pay for them using only one, then they may have issues.

Parents would would never buy soda for me as a kid. So I only started drinking in my 20s basically. Was drinking like 1L of coke a day min through most my 20s.

Never got fat or anything though. But in my 30s I basically just stopped to be healthier. I don't know if I am actually healthier. But I only have the occasional soda these days. Maybe twice month max.

BTW. My preference is still just classic Coka Cola. And I don't like diet versions of drinks.

Yea, I can't really deal with those diet variations or the newer "zero" types. They just have this off taste to them. If I drink soda, I just make sure to exercise to burn off that 200-300 calories for the day. Usually works pretty well as my hour-long bike riding tends to burn about ~500.

Airola

Yea, I can't really deal with those diet variations or the newer "zero" types. They just have this off taste to them. If I drink soda, I just make sure to exercise to burn off that 200-300 calories for the day. Usually works pretty well as my hour-long bike riding tends to burn about ~500.

About 20 years ago I used to drink a lot of different Light juices that have no sugar but have aspartame. I liked Light sodas too.
Then one day I started to taste this odd taste in on light juice. The taste became more and more unpleasant. Then I started to taste the exact same thing in light sodas too.
After that I haven't been able to drink a light soda or juice without getting this really bad aftertaste from them. They kinda leave your mouth dry and the taste stays there for a while. Sugary juices and sodas never do that.

They've tried to use different sweeteners like Stevia, but they all leave a bad aftertaste.

oagboghi2

I try to never drink regular side because the sugar is just insane, but I do like Coke zero. I can't say I ever had a after taste.

I'll pick up a Coke zero tonight to see if maybe it's just something I overlooked

dcll

Banned
I drank outrageous amounts of soda as a kid all the way to early 30’s and finally just cut it out completely. I first went to diet from early 20’s until I quit. I know only drink water, tea and sometimes coffee

Osukaa

51GeN526naL.jpg

On a side note I just tried this soda for the first time today.... I don't really like it at all with it's plain bubblegum flavor and lazy ass logo and design... but then why am I drinking another one... I'm confused. I don't like you Big Red but drinking you seems like drinking a forbidden fruit (bubblegum flavor) that I know I should't be drinking but I can't stop... Soda Gods help me...

RubxQub

bFYpZ8J.jpg

Excellent news, everyone!

Because of this thread, and It's Jeff It's Jeff offering to send me some Mello Yello (subsequently scaring my GF into ordering me some despite me trying to tell her that Jeff’s a stand-up lad)...I am now the proud owner of a very banged up 12 pack of Mello Yello!

The Magic of GAF™

Tastes every bit as good as I remember, basically a sprite like taste with a lot more citrus punch.

Bellissimo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
bFYpZ8J.jpg

Because of this thread, and It's Jeff It's Jeff offering to send me some Mello Yello (subsequently scaring my GF into ordering me some despite me trying to tell her that Jeff’s a stand-up lad)...I am now the proud owner of a very banged up 12 pack of Mello Yello!

The Magic of GAF™

Tastes every bit as good as I remember, basically a sprite like taste with a lot more citrus punch.

Bellissimo.

I won't lie, y'all are makin' me want some Mello Yellow. I haven't had it since I was a wee lad so I may have to stop by the store tomorrow and buy a 20 oz. Glad you are enjoyin' it!

Gander

Banned
It surprises me how many people have not experienced a root beer float. I think it is a totally foreign concept to people outside the U.S.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It surprises me how many people have not experienced a root beer float. I think it is a totally foreign concept to people outside the U.S.

Wow really? That surprises me. I thought Root Beer Floats were a very common thing all around the world!

oagboghi2

bFYpZ8J.jpg

The Magic of GAF™

Bellissimo.
47 grams of carbohydrates....

Gander

Banned
I recently tried using water enhancers to save money. I have to say I really them. You don't have to put a lot, matter fact you don't want to or you get an after taste. I'd say one squirt is enough for 32 oz of water easy.

Last edited:

RubxQub

47 grams of carbohydrates....
:lollipop_flores:

Basically all soda is a slow death in a can. Just have to close your mind as it closes the curtains on your heart.

Sweet, delicious death.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I recently tried using water enhancers to save money. I have to say I really them. You don't have to put a lot, matter fact you don't want to or you get an after taste. I'd say one squirt is enough for 32 oz of water easy.

Really? What is the best brand that you would recommend? I used to love the light, fruity flavours of propel - but a lot of the water enhancers I have tried before tended to make things taste like overpowering koolaid.

:lollipop_flores:

Basically all soda is a slow death in a can. Just have to close your mind as it closes the curtains on your heart.

Sweet, delicious death.

Mhm! This is why you try to have it sparingly. A couple times a week at most. Having it too often will be detrimental, but as with any delicious thing, always have it in moderation.

Gander

Banned
Really? What is the best brand that you would recommend? I used to love the light, fruity flavours of propel - but a lot of the water enhancers I have tried before tended to make things taste like overpowering kooaid.

Koolaid is what I'm using now but everybody says Sweetleaf brands are the best and most healthy.

It's Jeff

Banned
bFYpZ8J.jpg

The Magic of GAF™

Bellissimo.

Heh... the offer remains genuine, and perhaps the beginning of the great GAF regional food and beverage swap. Anybody wants something from Colorado, let me know.

Confirming a childhood flavor is just the best. Well done.

Top Bottom