• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Workers unearth 18th century ship under Ground Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Workers at the World Trade Center site are excavating a 32-foot-long ship hull that apparently was buried there in the 18th century.

Archaeologist Molly McDonald says it's hoped that the artifact can be retrieved by the end of the day on Thursday.

It's believed the vessel was used as part of the fill that extended lower Manhattan into the Hudson River.

McDonald said she hopes to salvage at least some timbers. It's unclear if any large portions of the hull can be lifted intact.

Ground-Zero-Buried-Sh_Gree_20100715100941_640_480.JPG

Leather sole from a boot

Ground-Zero-Buried-Sh_Gree(2)_20100715101033_640_480.JPG

Ground-Zero-Buried-Sh_Gree(2)_20100715100843_640_480.JPG

Ground-Zero-Buried-Sh_Gree_20100715100711_640_480.JPG

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's believed the vessel was used as part of the fill that extended lower Manhattan into the Hudson River.
Obviously a cover-up story. That ground's been haunted ever since, send in the Ghostbusters first.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Replace the ship with Noah's Ark and you've got yourself a film to pitch.

This will undoubtedly be used in a Fringe episode.

BigJonsson said:
Oh shit, the terrorists were trying to reveal the secrets hidden in history

Underneath the ship will be a space ship!

Underneath that - bigfoot!

Wthermans said:
Cool, but it's a shame we still don't have anything in place almost 10 years later....

Maybe this is the reason why? Maybe they've been digging looking for this.

L O S T

FnordChan

EatChildren said:
Replace the ship with Noah's Ark and you've got yourself a film to pitch.

From Laurie Anderson's "Say Hello"

Laurie Anderson said:
A certain American religious sect has been looking at conditions of the world during the Flood. According to their calculations, during the Flood the winds, tides and currents were in an overall southeasterly direction. This would mean that in order for Noah’s Ark to have ended up on Mount Ararat, it would have to have started out several thousand miles to the west. This would then locate pre-Flood civilization in the area of Upstate New York, and the Garden of Eden roughly in New York City. Now, in order to get from one place to another, something must move. No one in New York remembers moving, and there are no traces of Biblical history in the Upstate New York area. So we are led to the only available conclusion in this time warp, and that is that the Ark has simply not left yet.

FnordChan

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky Forward said:
It's curious that this wasn't discovered back when they originally built the WTC.

it's a big plot of land down there and not all of it was used in the construction of the previous buildings.

There was a whole bunch of stuff discovered down there in the 70s when they built the first buildings... and I thought I read a few years ago that they did find a ship then and needed to stop work for a while. The Internet is failing me at the moment though and I can't 100% prove it.

JesseZao

Wthermans said:
Cool, but it's a shame we still don't have anything in place almost 10 years later....

Yeah no kidding. What are the construction crews actually doing on site? It doesn't take this many years to excavate debris. I was there a few years ago and all of the usual equipment was parked in the zone. Some beams were visible, but mostly just mud.

WillyFive

IIRC Noah's Ark wouldn't have looked like an actual boat like it does in the children's books. More like a big rectangular box.

And besides, Noah's Ark being in NY is kinda a long shot.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
JesseZao said:
Yeah no kidding. What are the construction crews actually doing on site? It doesn't take this many years to excavate debris. I was there a few years ago and all of the usual equipment was parked in the zone. Some beams were visible, but mostly just mud.

I'm not saying 10 years isn't long, but Jesus people... if you could see what those guys are doing down there day in and day out you wouldn't be saying that.

I go into the WTC every single day on the way to work and the progress there is incredible. Every week there's a new floor that goes on 1 WTC and there have been rapid changes to the property. The scope of this project is freaking massive and the amount of steps that have to occur before construction can be safe are mind boggling. The area isn't exactly stable ground, so they need to rebuild a whole bunch of shit to make sure it's all stable. Also, it's not just the buildings. It's the roads, multiple buildings, the PATH system and the MTA subway system all being built at the same time!

It's easy to say they are taking too long, but unless you're there on a daily basis, you don't really know half the story.

Wthermans

Banned
JesseZao said:
From my understanding, the entire problem (from design to construction) has been bogged with inefficiencies. The entire design phase, which they tried to overly publicize, was a detriment to the entire rebuilding process.

WillyFive

Yeah, and what's more, those two buildings were huge, and having them go straight down into the ground would have really done a lot of damage to the infrastructure of not only the city, but the ground underneath.

Two giant buildings were literally pounded into the ground, which was partly artificial.

thomaser

Discovery Channel is on their way right now to find out if this is Noah's Ark.

Didn't read the thread, so I bet I'm the 12th person to make a joke about the Ark :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom