• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm |OT| of Who the hell is Deathwing, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Gravijah said:
Anyone know which of the epic tailoring pants would be more in demand? Trying to figure out which I should buy.

It will differ from realm to realm. Best is to get an auction add-on and keep scanning for those items. All of them will bring you in some good cash but just figure out how much the mats would cost to either buy from the AH or farm yourself, then you can sort out which one will make you more money.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:
In the questing/content sense, all they have to really do is...

1) Lower the amount of exp per level and/or give more exp per quest. As it is now, going from 59 to 60 is a drastic increase in time/level.

Unless things have changed since cataclysm, when I leveled my pally alt I went to outlands at 58 and was level 60 in less than 3 hours, the increased XP was insane

Gravijah

Raide said:
It will differ from realm to realm. Best is to get an auction add-on and keep scanning for those items. All of them will bring you in some good cash but just figure out how much the mats would cost to either buy from the AH or farm yourself, then you can sort out which one will make you more money.

Yeah, I guess I could wait and see. So far I don't think I have seen anyone with either pattern (yet. People seem to be selling the leg enchants instead) and I know the belts (or one of them) has an alternative from rep. I'm just not sure if one of the pants is legitimately better for more classes.

I can make about 4-5 dreamcloth (screw you volatile air for being so annoying to get) a week, though, so whatever choice I do make I should be able to make lots and lots of pants.

Yaweee

Dunlop said:
Unless things have changed since cataclysm, when I leveled my pally alt I went to outlands at 58 and was level 60 in less than 3 hours, the increased XP was insane

Oh, no, I'm not referring to that.

In the old days, there was a huge discontinuity in quest exp going from somewhere like EPL to Hellfire, which was offset against a significant increase in exp/level going from 60-70. If you went to Hellfire before 60, you'd level ridiculously fast due to the huge discrepancy in scale.

Blasted Lands is now such a great leveling zone that jumping to Hellfire at 60 feels like slamming on the brakes. Un'Goro, Swamp of Sorrows, and Blasted Lands, and their related instances, are all great areas now.

Dunlop

Yaweee said:

In the old days, there was a huge discontinuity in quest exp going from somewhere like EPL to Hellfire, which was offset against a significant increase in exp/level going from 60-70. If you went to Hellfire before 60, you'd level ridiculously fast due to the huge discrepancy in scale.

Blasted Lands is now such a great leveling zone that jumping to Hellfire at 60 feels like slamming on the brakes. Un'Goro, Swamp of Sorrows, and Blasted Lands, and their related instances, are all great areas now.

gotcha, the old way was evil genious.

I was a hardcore raider..had a family and dropped the game for 3 years...took avantage of the 7 day free trial in January...leveled to 61 in about an hour...spent money on BC upgrade...leveled to 70 in about a week only playing at night after everyone was asleep...upgraded to WOTLK...realized my old server was a dead end and spent money to switch factions/servers to where I am today

That was one expensive trial :lol

thefil

Yaweee said:

I know what you mean, but it's not the exp disparity so much as the pacing of the quests. I levelled to 63 in Old World on my latest character before going to Outland, and starting Terokkar was insanely slower for progression. Though I'm not sure I agree that the new Swamp of Sorrows is great, I couldn't wait to leave. I loved the new Winterspring.

Dunlop said:
That was one expensive trial :lol

I did the same thing. Paid for one month -> Paid for server transfer -> bought Cataclysm... I'm in for $80 now when I planned on being in for $15.

Anyways, back to Loremastering Outlands.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Well, I knew it would happen eventually, but the Volatile Air price finally collapsed on my server. As of this moment, we're down to 29G and dropping, down from the ~55G they had been at since the expansion launched.

I made 600 - 700g per day just using my Alchemy transmute to turn 15 Volatile Life into 15 Volatile Air. Even during xmas I managed to sneak in my Xmute each day, since it literally takes about 10 seconds.

I don't know how much total money I made using this transmute since Cata dropped since I've put an ungodly amount of money into leveling tailoring, but it has to be over 10,000G...

Maybe it's finally worth looking into using my daily transmute on Truegold for once.

Gravijah

GDJustin said:
Well, I knew it would happen eventually, but the Volatile Air price finally collapsed on my server. As of this moment, we're down to 29G and dropping, down from the ~55G they had been at since the expansion launched.

I made 600 - 700g per day just using my Alchemy transmute to turn 15 Volatile Life into 15 Volatile Air. Even during xmas I managed to sneak in my Xmute each day, since it literally takes about 10 seconds.

I don't know how much total money I made using this transmute since Cata dropped since I've put an ungodly amount of money into leveling tailoring, but it has to be over 10,000G...

Maybe it's finally worth looking into using my daily transmute on Truegold for once.

MAKE A VIAL OF THE SANDS!

Only 6~ more days until I have enough truegold to make mine. Matters how my procs go.

GDJustin said:

I have no idea how you spent 10000g leveling tailoring at all. I got level 500 without basically spending any gold whatsoever. I guess if you buy all your dreamcloth instead of farming I could see it. Still, seems really high.

Yaweee said:
1) Lower the amount of exp per level and/or give more exp per quest. As it is now, going from 59 to 60 is a drastic increase in time/level.

I'm leveling through Outland right now and this is not really my experience. So far I actually spend more real time leveling professions/hitting the Auction House/doing holiday nonsense quests at each level than actually questing. Even if the Outland quests are taking me 2 hours of real time apiece compared to one hour of real time apiece in Silithus and Blasted Lands, it's really not that noticeable to me. I think the addition of flight at level 60 is more meaningful here than you're giving it credit for -- trudging across Hellfire must have taken forever back in the day, but now I can rocket back and forth quickly between all the far-flung quest points without ever getting into unwanted combat or having to figure out how to get around an annoying mountain. (We'll see how I feel as I level further, though.)

I definitely agree about moving the questgivers into the instances, though. The other stuff they may not be willing to "go halfway" on (i.e. they may want to do one sweeping fix rather than repeatedly tweak stuff) but that's something they should really just bite the bullet on as soon as possible.

Yaweee said:
Un'Goro, Swamp of Sorrows, and Blasted Lands, and their related instances, are all great areas now.

I definitely agree with all of this. Swamp of Sorrows is insane. Everything is like five feet apart and there are ludicrous quantities of herb spawns everywhere. Plus all the quests are hilarious.

I even really enjoyed Silithus on this go-through, partially because I love the way it looks (so creepy), and partially because the local questing achievement is really easy to get.

Yaweee

charlequin said:
I'm leveling through Outland right now and this is not really my experience. So far I actually spend more real time leveling professions/hitting the Auction House/doing holiday nonsense quests at each level than actually questing. Even if the Outland quests are taking me 2 hours of real time apiece compared to one hour of real time apiece in Silithus and Blasted Lands, it's really not that noticeable to me. I think the addition of flight at level 60 is more meaningful here than you're giving it credit for -- trudging across Hellfire must have taken forever back in the day, but now I can rocket back and forth quickly between all the far-flung quest points without ever getting into unwanted combat or having to figure out how to get around an annoying mountain. (We'll see how I feel as I level further, though.)

I definitely agree about moving the questgivers into the instances, though. The other stuff they may not be willing to "go halfway" on (i.e. they may want to do one sweeping fix rather than repeatedly tweak stuff) but that's something they should really just bite the bullet on as soon as possible.

Oh, flight helps a ton, but it still feels like everything is really, really slow jumping up to Outland. For my Tauren Paladin it was <1 hour per level just under 60 to >2 just past 60. Enemies also felt like they simply had relatively more HP, making even killing them take longer.

And for what it is worth, a flying mount at 60 is slower than an epic ground mount, so the immediate jump isn't as nice as it seems. It sure helps in Nagrand and Blade's Edge, which at my currently leveling speed, I'll probably end up skipping in their entirety.

I've always hated the Diaphanous Wing quest in Zangarmarsh, and now it just feels worse. The drop rate on that and so many other quests is way lower than in newer content.

My guild just downed The Ascendant Council in Bastion of Twilight and last week we downed Atramedes in Blackrock Descent. we are downing bosses at a good pace right now.

Yaweee

charlequin said:
I... don't think that's true? Isn't an epic ground mount +100% move while a normal flying mount is +150%?

Ah, nm. I guess I'm wrong.

Was that changed at some point? I recall it being different right when BC came out, and comments on flying mounts at Wowhead indicate that as well:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=25474/tawny-wind-rider#comments

This mount is actually slower than a ground epic mount, moving at 60% speed both on the ground and in the air (the same speed as a level 40 mount). However, you can fly over mountains and canyons that you would have to run around on a ground mount, so it is a good investment until you can afford an epic mount. Of course, you can only use a flying mount in Outland.

Lackmus said:
Just dinged 85 now, 83 to 85 was fucking hell O_O

So itemlv 329 is enough for heroics?

Yes, average iLevel of 329. Though I would shoot for higher if you're a tank or healer, otherwise you'll get rolled for awhile till you get better gear.

K.Sabot

Lackmus said:
Just dinged 85 now, 83 to 85 was fucking hell O_O

So itemlv 329 is enough for heroics?
Yup, but have fun getting shit for your items when you hit 329. People want and expect at least 340-345 now because they want the achievements.

Yaweee said:
Ah, nm. I guess I'm wrong.

Was that changed at some point? I recall it being different right when BC came out, and comments on flying mounts at Wowhead indicate that as well:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=25474/tawny-wind-rider#comments

You have to check the patch and date when that comment was made. The comment you refer to was made in February of 2007 - just a month after BC was released.

The change from 60% to 150% speed on regular flying mounts was made in patch 3.2, which was released August 4, 2009.

Yaweee

CarbonatedFalcon said:
You have to check the patch and date when that comment was made. The comment you refer to was made in February of 2007 - just a month after BC was released.

The change from 60% to 150% speed on regular flying mounts was made in patch 3.2, which was released August 4, 2009.

Ah, thanks.

Yes, I knew that comment was out of date, but I didn't find the change in a quick search of patch notes. Thanks for the specifics. I wasn't playing at the time the patch was released and simply never realized the change.

How did I notice the change on my own, though? =(

No45

Argh! Levelling Cooking through the last 50 points pre-BC is borderline broken for the Horde - they've removed the NPC that sold the best recipes for getting to 285 (Allowing you to use the quest in Silithus to bring it up to 300). :(

Spruchy

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I have no idea how you spent 10000g leveling tailoring at all. I got level 500 without basically spending any gold whatsoever. I guess if you buy all your dreamcloth instead of farming I could see it. Still, seems really high.
Can't buy dream cloth.

No45 said:
Argh! Levelling Cooking through the last 50 points pre-BC is borderline broken for the Horde - they've removed the NPC that sold the best recipes for getting to 285 (Allowing you to use the quest in Silithus to bring it up to 300). :(

I did Clamette Delight (from the dude in Gadgetzan) to 285. It was a lot of zesty clam meat, but found some cheap on the AH. Worked fine, was a pain but not a show stopper.

No45

Fragamemnon said:
I did Clamette Delight (from the dude in Gadgetzan) to 285. It was a lot of zesty clam meat, but found some cheap on the AH. Worked fine, was a pain but not a show stopper.
Yeah, it's what I'm doing at the moment. Used to be a lot easier buying the two Felwood recipes and killing wolves/bears in northern Felwood. :(

Yaweee said:

Un'Goro was always awesome. Commando T-Rexes, Zelda quests, and runnin' and gunnin' for Elemental Fire and Rich Thorium Veins made it so.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SatelliteOfLove said:
Un'Goro was always awesome. Commando T-Rexes, Zelda quests, and runnin' and gunnin' for Elemental Fire and Rich Thorium Veins made it so.
there's also DK and Mario references in Un'Goro. it's basically a big tribute to nintendo.

RPGCrazied

Slowly going all horde. When I first started out I was Alliance, but now I'm a proud Horde player. I just race changed my Human Rogue into a Blood Elf. Shame it costs $30, but meh. The Night Elf Warrior is next.

Lain

I've experienced all the new zones now, so I felt I wanted to post my (condensed) feelings on them.
I found Vash and Uldum to be the best zones of the expansion in every aspect. Quest lines, atmosphere, zone layout. Both zones are gorgeous and fun to be in, even though one is an underwater zone and the other is a desert.
Both zones also have two awesome human NPCs right off the bat. It's like, they wanted to make it clear from the start which zones were the most awesome ones in the whole expansion.

Next is Twilight Highlands, which is nice initially, but then the quests become a bit boring and the cutscenes/writing really lack a lot of polish. The Deathwings cutscenes lack direction, and there are instances like the Earthen Ring quests, when a troll first talks like a troll, and then stops talking like a troll. Yet the zone is good looking, there is the 300 reference, the gob squad and it's a pleasure to fly around in it, so it's right behind Vash and Uldum for me.

Then there is Deepholm. The zone has nice quests, great quests rewards, some NPCs are linked to the old world in funny ways, it has a sort of variety while keeping its consistency and some really funny lines, like for example the quest where you get to become immune against a certain mage spells, and seeing his reaction is laugh worthy.
There is also Milhouse Manastorm, so all in all great zone.

Mount Hyjal is nice yet not great. The zone looks good, the quests give you a sense of really being important, special, a hero. It is the perfect zone, questline wise, to shut up people that always go "how can a bunch of nobodies kill those mighty creatures?!?!", as the zone makes it apparent you aren't a nobody.
But in the end, I found the zone to be somewhat forgettable compared to the other ones.
It has one of the most awesome looking places though, Ragnaros Seat (I hope I'm remembering the name right).

Last is Tol Barad. I hate this zone. It is the most shitty zone that they could have made for the expansion. I hate it with a passion. It's ugly, packed with annoying mobs and boring dailies, yet its faction is the only one to reward weapons. Playing in this zone for a couple days made me want to tell Blizzard to go fuck itself.

All in all, I really like Cataclysm. The use of cutscenes is a good addition to the game, although they need to hire some real directors, as some of them are really lacking, with bad shots and camera placement.
I'm a bit disappointed by the writing. I've found way too many typos, wrong words in the text and characters talking "out of character" in their text. English isn't my primary language, but there were instance that I'd compare to using your instead of you're, and that stuff really irritates me.

Weenerz

Banned
Woot

PA4zQ.jpg

Lain said:
I've experienced all the new zones now, so I felt I wanted to post my (condensed) feelings on them.
I found Vash and Uldum to be the best zones of the expansion in every aspect. Quest lines, atmosphere, zone layout. Both zones are gorgeous and fun to be in, even though one is an underwater zone and the other is a desert.
Both zones also have two awesome human NPCs right off the bat. It's like, they wanted to make it clear from the start which zones were the most awesome ones in the whole expansion.

Next is Twilight Highlands, which is nice initially, but then the quests become a bit boring and the cutscenes/writing really lack a lot of polish. The Deathwings cutscenes lack direction, and there are instances like the Earthen Ring quests, when a troll first talks like a troll, and then stops talking like a troll. Yet the zone is good looking, there is the 300 reference, the gob squad and it's a pleasure to fly around in it, so it's right behind Vash and Uldum for me.

Then there is Deepholm. The zone has nice quests, great quests rewards, some NPCs are linked to the old world in funny ways, it has a sort of variety while keeping its consistency and some really funny lines, like for example the quest where you get to become immune against a certain mage spells, and seeing his reaction is laugh worthy.
There is also Milhouse Manastorm, so all in all great zone.

Mount Hyjal is nice yet not great. The zone looks good, the quests give you a sense of really being important, special, a hero. It is the perfect zone, questline wise, to shut up people that always go "how can a bunch of nobodies kill those mighty creatures?!?!", as the zone makes it apparent you aren't a nobody.
But in the end, I found the zone to be somewhat forgettable compared to the other ones.
It has one of the most awesome looking places though, Ragnaros Seat (I hope I'm remembering the name right).

Last is Tol Barad. I hate this zone. It is the most shitty zone that they could have made for the expansion. I hate it with a passion. It's ugly, packed with annoying mobs and boring dailies, yet its faction is the only one to reward weapons. Playing in this zone for a couple days made me want to tell Blizzard to go fuck itself.

All in all, I really like Cataclysm. The use of cutscenes is a good addition to the game, although they need to hire some real directors, as some of them are really lacking, with bad shots and camera placement.
I'm a bit disappointed by the writing. I've found way too many typos, wrong words in the text and characters talking "out of character" in their text. English isn't my primary language, but there were instance that I'd compare to using your instead of you're, and that stuff really irritates me.

And they shouldn't have bothered until they did. It's not going to be a step forward in MMO design until they stop looking and sounding like they stepped back to a badly localized JRPG from 1998. Thing is, and I mentioned this in the WoW thread, was Wrathgate kicked ass, what happened? Some are even bugged out easily if you do anything or can drop you from the servers.

Everything else is pretty close to my take on it (Uldum was excellent). Love the progression's back, too. Gives me a reason to wanna log in and acquire upgrades as they'll have a use.

Twig

Banned
Every single fucking cutscene in this game blows butt bubbles. Wrathgate didn't, but since they REMOVED that, there's nothing good left.

This shit is awful and I am infuriated every time I'm forced to sit through one because it bugs out and I can't skip it. |:
Lain said:
Awww, somebody doesn't like PvP. WHAT A SHAME.

Tol Barad is the best thing to happen to WoW since the Isle of Quel'Danas. FACT.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Twig said:
Every single fucking cutscene in this game blows butt bubbles. Wrathgate didn't, but since they REMOVED that, there's nothing good left.

This shit is awful and I am infuriated every time I'm forced to sit through one because it bugs out and I can't skip it. |:

Tol Barad is the best thing to happen to WoW since the Isle of Quel'Danas. FACT.

What the fuck are you smoking, son.

TB is a broken mess. Grab your exploited honor and leave. I'll stick to arenas, thanks.

Hixx

Twig said:

Is it fuck. The dailies are dull as fuck and the battle itself is some of the poorest design I have ever seen in a game.

Lain

Twig said:

Well, PvP blows, so yeah, I don't like PvP, but aren't you jumping to conclusions here? I didn't mention PvP at all as to why Tol Barad sucks, as I didn't PvP at all while in there, I just kept doing my dailies while the battle was going on as it just didn't interest nor concern me.
As I said, the zone is ugly and boring to look at, with boring quests and annoying mobs. It also forces me on ground, so that's another negative.

But the comparison to Isle of Quel'Danas is rather apt, because they share some similarities, and those similarities are negative aspects as far as I'm concerned. At least the Isle was colorful tho.

Twig

Banned
You all got your panties in an uproar, didn't you?

Tol Barad (both the questing area and the AWESOME battle area) is designed first and foremost as a PvP playground. The dailies are only a tool with which to encourage players of both sides to compete. That's why your distaste for PvP is relevant. I'm honestly surprised you didn't realize that, as it's such an incredibly obvious aspect of the zone that it's damn near impossible to miss, even if you play on a PvE server (lol why would you do that). Forcing ground mounts, alliance and horde constantly sharing quest mobs/areas, etc.

Also: PvP > PvE, and Tol Barad proper is amazing. That the majority of people suck at coordinated strategy is the only valid reason you have to dislike it.
I'll stick to arenas, thanks.
Go play Guild Wars and stop ruining WoW with your arena bullshit.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
You are one angry dude, Twig. Lay off the sugars. Arenas are the only proper PvPing left in WoW. You can gank around in TB all you want. Doesn't change the fact that it's a poorly designed battle that is just being exploited for the easy 1800 honor, currently.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Twig said:
even if you play on a PvE server (lol why would you do that). Forcing ground mounts, alliance and horde constantly sharing quest mobs/areas, etc.

Because you can quest without worrying about gankings?

Twig said:
Tol Barad (both the questing area and the AWESOME battle area) is designed first and foremost as a PvP playground.

Regardless of one's feelings about PvP in general, I feel like the near-universal agreement that Tol Barad is terribly designed and poorly executed as a world PvP zone is really the more relevant factor here.

RPGCrazied

Weenerz said:

Exactly what I'm going for, but my god, Archaeology is fucking boring. I'm only like 105/150 right now. I've spend 2 days just flying around old world digging this shit up, only to get greys and whites. When do I get good / neat stuff? Max only? Meh. At least fishing you could stay in one spot and fish all day, this you have to fly all over the damn continent for sites.

RPGCrazied

EvaPlusMinus said:
I got that mount right at 150. Was pretty sweet.

Really? I guess maybe I'll keep trucking through it. Those BOA epics are kinda nice too, but I don't think I'll be maxing this profession out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom