• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Ultratech

Not to mention, catching up on gear has really never been easier. Even easier than end of wrath :p

Yeah, I quit around the time when Zul'Aman came out. Lately, I've been tempted to go back and play, but I dunno. I've got the time to actually play now, but I've heard the game's been nerfed to hell and back, making it really easy to get good gear and everything.

Funny since I started right before BC came out, so I never really got to experience a lot of those old raids, since BC came out and it became the new hotness. (I was around maybe 40ish at the time on my Hunter.) So I ended up doing stuff like Kara and Gruul.

Audioboxer

Ended up rolling a Lock instead of a Priest. Enjoying it, first time lock. At level 21 just now. I like how mana effecient a Lock is, with life tap and soul harvest it's pretty much DPS DPS DPS :p

Think once I hit about 50-60, I'll try out a Rogue for the first time.

Cipherr

OLD WOW? OLD WOW.

Golemagg2.jpg

Check out those sexy Giantstalker shoulders! It also looks like I have Black Dragonscale Breastplate, a Helm of Narv, and Beaststalker gloves. Wow, my computer and UI were terrible. To be fair I was a broke high school student. Since then I've graduated from college and been working full time for two years.

God damn I've played this game a lot.

That pic takes me back. Jeeesus, some of the terrible fucking mods we ran in beta, and early Vanilla. Anyone remember Cosmos? Christ thinking back, that thing was bloated to shit.

Tamanon

Banned
That pic takes me back. Jeeesus, some of the terrible fucking mods we ran in beta, and early Vanilla. Anyone remember Cosmos? Christ thinking back, that thing was bloated to shit.

But it looked so cool, lol.

I remember the days before they banned the original Decursive. That was a brilliant mod.

TheYanger

Hell, that shot at least has CTRA! I remember doing molten core with 0 raid mods, and then RaidBar which was the first one. CTRA came out a couple months later.
This isn't my shot, but it was a paladin from my guild.
lucifrondead.jpg

Hixx

But it looked so cool, lol.

I remember the days before they banned the original Decursive. That was a brilliant mod.

I hated Decursive and any fight that essentially needed it. Fucking Chromaggus as a Paladin, easy fight but literally painful. I was having to rotate through fingers by the end of it, it was a blessing when I got 'promoted' to tank healing for that fight. I did feel completely lost for the few weeks after Blizzard broke it though.

Those pics take me back :( For some reason I miss 40 people running about in clown suits, its just not the same now.

That was when the only use for tranqualizing shot was for the Hunter Epic quest and the lava dog boss fight /nostalgia

Can anyone recomend me some addons for my new shammy?
I need something to show cooldowns on the buttons, all in one bag mod, anything to help leveling trade skills and most importantly a way to increase the size of the UI bar.

Anything else that might seems useful im open too :) starting from scratch!

How DK tanking aswell? as that is the char im considering moving over with all my heirlooms!

TheYanger

DK is probably the weakest of the tanking classes, unless you include druids, but I haven't seen a bear tank in ages.

This is...wrong. DKs and Druids are the strongest tanks this tier/currently. Both are extremely good. The 4 piece bonuses of these two classes blow paladins/warriors away.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hell, that shot at least has CTRA! I remember doing molten core with 0 raid mods, and then RaidBar which was the first one. CTRA came out a couple months later.
This isn't my shot, but it was a paladin from my guild.
lucifrondead.jpg

A RET PALADIN IN VANILLA?!?!??!

idlewild_

Seriously? Both Paladins and Warriors are able to block cap in current gear, making them much better tanking options. Believe what you will, though.

That would matter if most of the fights did not include unavoidable or heavy magic damage (e.g. stomp cannot be blocked, impale cannot be blocked, drain is magic damage, void bolt is magic, etc. etc.) A block tank is great for warship and a warrior is awesome for handling bloods on spine (though, that's not necessarily due to them being a block tank.)

That would matter if most of the fights did not include unavoidable or heavy magic damage (e.g. stomp cannot be blocked, impale cannot be blocked, drain is magic damage, void bolt is magic, etc. etc.) A block tank is great for warship and a warrior is awesome for handling bloods on spine (though, that's not necessarily due to them being a block tank.)

Block aside, they still have more armor. I'm not saying DKs are bad, I'm just saying they're the weakest of the 3 common tanking classes. And for the record, blood shield does not work on magic damage either.

Weenerz

Banned
I miss the 5 minute salv buff that you had to put on each player, instead of their class. By the time you finish buffing, you had to rebuff since it was running out. Thus, needing 5 paladins per raid.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I miss the 5 minute salv buff that you had to put on each player, instead of their class. By the time you finish buffing, you had to rebuff since it was running out. Thus, needing 5 paladins per raid.

I think you forgot to put "dont" before "miss".

All of this talk of tanks not mentioning bear is making me regret levelling a feral tank. :(

I see plenty of bear tanks in 5 mans and LFR.

Can't say anything for normal and heroic raids though, not my thing.

idlewild_

Block aside, they still have more armor. I'm not saying DKs are bad, I'm just saying they're the weakest of the 3 common tanking classes. And for the record, blood shield does not work on magic damage either.

3 common tanks?

druids have higher armor than both block tanks and dks have ams + better passive magic damage mitigation from their talents. i'm not trying to argue that they're the best tanks or anything, but implying that they're not competitive with other tanks on most fights and amazing on a few is just silly.

Number45

I see plenty of bear tanks in 5 mans and LFR.

Can't say anything for normal and heroic raids though, not my thing.

Yeah I've seen a few in heroics but I think only one in LFR. Still, I'll at least get it to that point though I doubt I'll take it any further.

3 common tanks?

druids have higher armor than both block tanks and dks have ams + better passive magic damage mitigation from their talents. i'm not trying to argue that they're the best tanks or anything, but implying that they're not competitive with other tanks on most fights and amazing on a few is just silly.

Yeah, I have nothing against bear tanks, I just never see them. Hence they are not common.

And as I stated earlier, I'm not saying DK tanks are bad, I'm saying they are the weakest. Would you feel better if I said they were the least strong?

Mairu

DK is probably the weakest of the tanking classes, unless you include druids, but I haven't seen a bear tank in ages.

Seriously? Both Paladins and Warriors are able to block cap in current gear, making them much better tanking options. Believe what you will, though.

Yeah, I have nothing against bear tanks, I just never see them. Hence they are not common.

And as I stated earlier, I'm not saying DK tanks are bad, I'm saying they are the weakest. Would you feel better if I said they were the least strong?

O_O

You've got it backwards, paladins saw almost no benefit going from t12->t13 while the changes to bears & DKs made them better than both of the block tanks

O_O

You've got it backwards, paladins saw almost no benefit going from t12->t13 while the changes to bears & DKs made them better than both of the block tanks

I'm not sure I follow. If you're already block capped, moving up a tier gives you freedom to start gemming towards some avoidance (or stam) as well. DKs are still stuck stacking mastery because they have no cap to hit. I'm not sure what bonuses bears got in t13 so if you say they're the strongest now, I'll take your word for it.

TheYanger

Yeaaaah, can't believe this is actually being argued. Ignorance is one thing, but actively spreading it is another. DKs and Bears are THE best tanks this tier. Period. If you don't kite on spine (Which is viable now) then warriors and paladins are notably inferior.

I'm not sure I follow. If you're already block capped, moving up a tier gives you freedom to start gemming towards some avoidance (or stam) as well. DKs are still stuck stacking mastery because they have no cap to hit. I'm not sure what bonuses bears got in t13 so if you say they're the strongest now, I'll take your word for it.
DKs were never stuck gemming mastery, neither were bears. Not having a ctc cap means you were never bound by it in the first place. Both tanks have the most hp, have high armor, and do fine in the first place. The set bonuses help the raid out immensely more than the warrior/paladin ones (Vamp blood to raid and Frenzied Regen to raid). Bears do insane dps while tanking, DKs are most likely the most survivable tanks this tier. You can do any fight with any tanks, but those two classes are better.

As far as ret paladins in vanilla: many many paladins were ret despite being healers. As noted, BoK was the 31 talent, so every raid needed someone with it, and the holy tree was total junk so you healed just as well being ret. Flick, the guy in my screenshot, was a healer for all of vanilla and BC (a really strong one at that!)

I just thought I'd sneak in and express my excitement that after who knows how many months... I finally got my scorchling from Zen'Vorka.

Oh a side note, for those of you who still venture into the Molten Front... I was finding a higher drop rate of charms there for the Love is in the Air crap.

Also, you can get them in the cave by the forlorn spire where you stomp on the blue circles. I was letting some of those guys build up, stomp on a blue circle, destroy them all... collect charms.

Bisnic

I just thought I'd sneak in and express my excitement that after who knows how many months... I finally got my scorchling from Zen'Vorka.

Oh a side note, for those of you who still venture into the Molten Front... I was finding a higher drop rate of charms there for the Love is in the Air crap.

Also, you can get them in the cave by the forlorn spire where you stomp on the blue circles. I was letting some of those guys build up, stomp on a blue circle, destroy them all... collect charms.

I just go into Icecrown, north of the citadel...all those ghosts walking around in groups of 5-6 die in 2 hits with aoe spells. Same place i go when i want to quickly complete the Darkmoon Faire quest asking for 250 tokens.

Yeaaaah, can't believe this is actually being argued. Ignorance is one thing, but actively spreading it is another. DKs and Bears are THE best tanks this tier. Period. If you don't kite on spine (Which is viable now) then warriors and paladins are notably inferior.

DKs were never stuck gemming mastery, neither were bears. Not having a ctc cap means you were never bound by it in the first place. Both tanks have the most hp, have high armor, and do fine in the first place. The set bonuses help the raid out immensely more than the warrior/paladin ones (Vamp blood to raid and Frenzied Regen to raid). Bears do insane dps while tanking, DKs are most likely the most survivable tanks this tier. You can do any fight with any tanks, but those two classes are better.

They were and are stuck gemming mastery (or avoidance). Unlike other tanks, where avoidance and mastery supplement each other, they contradict each other when it comes to DKs. Sure, you could gem stamina if you want, I suppose, but with health so inflated at this point it seems pretty pointless. And the 4pc for DKs just gave them an ability that Paladins have inherently (I will concede that it is on a shorter cooldown but it's still something DKs will have to give up moving to the next tier).

Rokal

Paladins can also completely ignore impale as cooldowns permit, and they're the only tank that can reset Tetanus stacks by themselves. It's probably not as big of a deal for 25-man, but those are huge benefits for 10-man guilds that might only be using one tank.

The 4-piece bonuses are great for all of the tanks, but mostly they were bringing druids/DKs on-par with warriors and paladins that already had strong raid cooldowns. There aren't really any outright 'bad' tanks for any of the Cata tiers, but I still think you're underestimating warrior/paladin tanks for T13.

I'm gonna agree that DKs are preferential tanks to the shield users right now. In addition to the benefits Yanger already talked about, their core mechanics got a huge boost this past patch. The blood shield has always had an advantage against other shield because it is omnidirectional and in addition to that the change to death strike and the triggering of the shield helped to get rid of a large part of DK tanks' spikey incoming damage. This, in addition to their great damage output makes them more sought after than warriors for sure in all of my raids, and especially paladins. Blizzard made all the tanks behave pretty much near each other so this is all a matter of fine degrees, but I know a lot of raid groups in my guild that are kicking themselves for having too many warriors and paladins tanking and not enough access to DKs and druids.

I just go into Icecrown, north of the citadel...all those ghosts walking around in groups of 5-6 die in 2 hits with aoe spells. Same place i go when i want to quickly complete the Darkmoon Faire quest asking for 250 tokens.

Yeah, I go there for the ears. I should farm for the charms as well on off hours. Although... as long as the test of strength is active on your quest list - you won't get the charms. Confirmed that something was amiss on WoW Insider. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone yesterday.

Mairu

Paladins can also completely ignore impale as cooldowns permit, and they're the only tank that can reset Tetanus stacks by themselves. It's probably not as big of a deal for 25-man, but those are huge benefits for 10-man guilds that might only be using one tank.

The 4-piece bonuses are great for all of the tanks, but mostly they were bringing druids/DKs on-par with warriors and paladins that already had strong raid cooldowns. There aren't really any outright 'bad' tanks for any of the Cata tiers, but I still think you're underestimating warrior/paladin tanks for T13.

I don't really see the advantage paladins have for impale over anything else. Warriors can shield wall every impale with the lower CD & DKs can take virtually no damage with blood shield.

Magnus

I need a new home for my future alts. My old main is an 80 priest (now redundant, since my current main is a capped priest that I created for a race reroll before paid changes were offered).

I'd like to put him and said future alts on a busy, active realm, as well as hopefully a PvP server for a change (since I've always been on PvE).

How's Mal'ganis? I always hear it referenced as the go-to for high-end busy servers.

Rokal

The advantage is taking no damage instead of 140k+. It's an option you can use during a couple important moments in the fight if your dps is coming up short. We don't do this anymore, but at one point when we were learning the fight our dps was too low to kill the corruption before the bolt landed on the 4th platform going GRYB. Being able to survive the bolt and ignore the impale that happens right after it was pretty huge. We still have our pally DS impale on the first and third platform because taking 0 damage is still better than taking 140k+.

At this point, we just use it to reset tetanus for the second set of adds. DS/BoP had other extremely useful moments in T11/T12. They've felt pretty broken to me for the entire expansion.

Mairu

The advantage is taking no damage instead of 140k+. It's an option you can use during a couple important moments in the fight if your dps is coming up short. We don't do this anymore, but at one point when we were learning the fight our dps was too low to kill the corruption before the bolt landed on the 4th platform going GRYB. Being able to survive the bolt and ignore the impale that happens right after it was pretty huge. We still have our pally DS impale on the first and third platform because taking 0 damage is still better than taking 140k+.

At this point, we just use it to reset tetanus for the second set of adds. DS/BoP had other extremely useful moments in T11/T12. They've felt pretty broken to me for the entire expansion.

I guess that's only really a paladin tank exclusive benefit if you don't have any holy or ret paladins in the raid but I never really considered using it on impale outside of when you're using one tank and the dps manages to fail to kill the last platform's corruption before the second impale

Bisnic

Yeah, I go there for the ears. I should farm for the charms as well on off hours. Although... as long as the test of strength is active on your quest list - you won't get the charms. Confirmed that something was amiss on WoW Insider. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone yesterday.

You actually get both, but only 1 item every kills, i did it yesterday.

You get both. Confirmed by me playing the game and grinding over 100 tokens yesterday and finishing the DMF quest in record time.

I did not get one the entire time. I had four charms going into it and by time I was done, I had four charms leaving. :(

Icecrown mobs will not give experience to a lvl 85 character, so no grisley trophies. There is a ledge in the northern part of deepholm that spawns mobs faster than anyone can kill them. Go there instead and give it a try.

bjb

Banned
OLD WOW? OLD WOW.

Golemagg2.jpg

Check out those sexy Giantstalker shoulders! It also looks like I have Black Dragonscale Breastplate, a Helm of Narv, and Beaststalker gloves. Wow, my computer and UI were terrible. To be fair I was a broke high school student. Since then I've graduated from college and been working full time for two years.

God damn I've played this game a lot.

I used to know a Rogue named onethirtytwo, but that was on Sargeras during Vanilla.

What guild /server was this?

TheYanger

They were and are stuck gemming mastery (or avoidance). Unlike other tanks, where avoidance and mastery supplement each other, they contradict each other when it comes to DKs. Sure, you could gem stamina if you want, I suppose, but with health so inflated at this point it seems pretty pointless. And the 4pc for DKs just gave them an ability that Paladins have inherently (I will concede that it is on a shorter cooldown but it's still something DKs will have to give up moving to the next tier).

Next tier will be next xpac anyway. And Vamp blood raidwide is much nicer in most situations than argent defender. Same for the bear regen. 20% healing raidwide every minute is huge. DKs already have some of the strongest cooldowns anyway, and AMS works on a lot of stuff this tier. It's just very powerful.

I guess that's only really a paladin tank exclusive benefit if you don't have any holy or ret paladins in the raid but I never really considered using it on impale outside of when you're using one tank and the dps manages to fail to kill the last platform's corruption before the second impale

Case in point, the reason you don't need a paladin to bubble that impale where the bolt hits? because your DK tank just hits AMS and ignores the bolt as well.

Top Bottom