• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Fugu said:
How do you folks make it through the Northrend levels? This area is just so incredibly dull.

Easy, just skip the shitty boring areas like Borean Tundra, Zul'drak and Icecrown and do the awesome fun areas like Howling Fjord, Grizzly Hills, Sholazar, and Stormpeaks. You're probably still stuck with Dragonblight though.

Then you get to the truly dull Cataclysm zones.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
It's because you're dropping a commitment, you don't have to worry about peer pressure enforcing attendance anymore. Raiding on a schedule can be fun, but it definitely becomes stressful over time, even if you don't notice the stress building up. When you stop, there's this great release of pressure.

I dunno, I used to enjoy it. The difference I think is that raiding used to be sort of an extended LAN party for me. I didn't know many of the people I raided with in Vanilla in real life, but I had a great time playing with them and making general asses of ourselves. I still talk / game with a lot of them outside of WoW today.

In the guild I joined at the end of Wrath through Cata I never once had that feeling. Sure, they joked around a bit and had their inside jokes, but for the most part it felt like I was showing up to a second job where efficiency and position on the server took precedence over everything else. I know my shit, but the second I joined their resident Rogue began drilling me about fights, gear, PTR notes, etc. and wanted to run 25 random heroics to see that I could manage the numbers. And they really weren't even that good a guild. They're still working on Heroic Archimedes.

Bottom line is, the community has changed so much, in my perspective, that raiding has little to do with fun/enjoyment anymore. I've been in guilds that lead progression by leaps and bounds while generally being massive trolls, raiding while extremely intoxicated, and endless other shenanigans. Being successful in WoW doesn't require a no-nonsense attitude about everything. It just makes it all the more easy to quit when you reach a progression wall and everyone turns into assholes.

man of science

Neo Member
Random dungeon finder. But I'm playing a holy priest so it's not too bad. Also doing enchanting and tailoring so I still get mats.

Anyone else have a big problem with changing what buttons abilities are tied to? I just decided to swap fear and fade and it been he'll even though it should be easier.

Manus

Fugu said:
How do you folks make it through the Northrend levels? This area is just so incredibly dull.

I don't mind Northrend at all, It's Outland that I hate, outside of Nagrand.

Mister Zimbu said:
Easy, just skip the shitty boring areas like Borean Tundra, Zul'drak and Icecrown and do the awesome fun areas like Howling Fjord, Grizzly Hills, Sholazar, and Stormpeaks. You're probably still stuck with Dragonblight though.

Then you get to the truly dull Cataclysm zones.
Ditto. I never quested in Zuldrak and never will. This place looks so boring. Never quested in Howling Fjord sadly..but I'm levelling a Lv67 rogue atm.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Zul'Drak is pretty cool story-wise though. The beginning is a bit lame with the Scourge crap again, but once you get past that and head into the Troll areas it's pretty nifty.

Fugu said:

How so? Howliing Fjord is an area like no other in the game, incredibly beautiful, and with the easier, faster quests for level 68 characters. It goes by fast. Once you're in 71 you have Dragonblight which has some of the best quest lines in the game. Doing the Wrathgate line is always great, and a lot of the quests are quick and give a lot of exp.

Once you hit 74 it gets a bit stale... Grizzly hills feels a bit slower but it's so different from the others in terms of quests. You can move to Zul'Drak if you want, but at 76 you open up the Basin, which is yet again a fantastic area. Again one that feels entirely different from all the others up to that point. The quests are varied and unique compared to other areas.

I don't need to talk about the last 2 areas but... Icecrown has great quests that stray far from the usual 'kill x', 'pick y'. There's the Tournament too, which once again provides gameplay that isn't present anywhere else in the continent. The Storm Peaks is a fan favorite too.

I don't get how anyone can complain about Northrend, but like any of the Cataclysm zones. They're generic as hell. The questing itself is set up better, but the zones themselves for the most part are just...Blah.

That said I think my favorite zones of all time have to be...Icecrown and Shadowmoon Valley.

Gvaz

Banned
Cataclysm and Northrend are both boring as fuck to level through I've done it once and a half (through cata) and it made me want to quit on that basis alone.

Northrend is where my alts go to die after the fun that is outlands.

Seriously, I get to 60, go YIPPIE OUTLANDS and before I know it it's already over in a couple hours, like bad sex except in a few minutes :(

GLopez12

Neo Member
Doing Loremaster, I had fun in the Cataclysm zones and the redone Azeroth content. I'll probably have some fun in Northrend.

But Outlands is absolutely intolerable. Just about every zone completely sucks.

Gvaz

Banned
What about it sucks? Is it because I played most of wrath that I don't see the faults of outlands, an older zone? I still had to play through it, and have done so 4 times.

IsayFever

Played some rated BGs tonight for some fun times. Ended on a positive win rate and almost have my Private title so not bad at all.

Fugu

-bakalhau- said:
How so? Howliing Fjord is an area like no other in the game, incredibly beautiful, and with the easier, faster quests for level 68 characters. It goes by fast. Once you're in 71 you have Dragonblight which has some of the best quest lines in the game. Doing the Wrathgate line is always great, and a lot of the quests are quick and give a lot of exp.

Once you hit 74 it gets a bit stale... Grizzly hills feels a bit slower but it's so different from the others in terms of quests. You can move to Zul'Drak if you want, but at 76 you open up the Basin, which is yet again a fantastic area. Again one that feels entirely different from all the others up to that point. The quests are varied and unique compared to other areas.

I don't need to talk about the last 2 areas but... Icecrown has great quests that stray far from the usual 'kill x', 'pick y'. There's the Tournament too, which once again provides gameplay that isn't present anywhere else in the continent. The Storm Peaks is a fan favorite too.
The quests are worth a ridiculously small amount of experience so you have to do hundreds of them, and they are designed so that you are focused on small segments of the map for a long period of time. I think this is a terrible combination. I also happen to believe that all of the maps are ugly, especially considering many of them are thematically similar (it's winter). I have identical complaints with Vashj'ir.

Supert5

Neo Member
just got into howling fjord and im starting to despise northrend. Seriously they need to revamp quests per area to around 40-50 instead of 100+ so many of the quest are redundent

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm dumb. I bought dark moon cards individually for 7k. The deck and trinkets were selling for for 2-4k more. After doing simcraft, I realized it was a 15 DPS increase. Just sold it for 6k on the AH to someone trying to sell the deck for 8.5k. You can buy every single card card on the AH individually for a total of 5.5k. So, it'd be dumb to buy the complete deck and I didn't want to undercut fight with him. From what I can tell, they'll continue to drop in price. Oh well, eating 1k instead of 7k (using it) is good. Moral of the story, do research.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah, if you're a frugal mofo, researching the AH prices will help. The universal theory is that Thursdays and Fridays are the most expensive (depending on timezone) and your Sundays and Mondays are the cheapest.

Every server my partner touched seemed to follow this unspoken method and she's an economic major, so go figure. I just knew to throw my shit up mid-week and buy on Mondays.

DeathNote said:
I'm dumb. I bought dark moon cards individually for 7k. The deck and trinkets were selling for for 2-4k more. After doing simcraft, I realized it was a 15 DPS increase. Just sold it for 6k on the AH to someone trying to sell the deck for 8.5k. You can buy every single card card on the AH individually for a total of 5.5k. So, it'd be dumb to buy the complete deck and I didn't want to undercut fight with him. From what I can tell, they'll continue to drop in price. Oh well, eating 1k instead of 7k (using it) is good. Moral of the story, do research.
Min/Max or die.

Thoraxes

speedpop said:
Yeah, if you're a frugal mofo, researching the AH prices will help. The universal theory is that Thursdays and Fridays are the most expensive (depending on timezone) and your Sundays and Mondays are the cheapest.

Every server my partner touched seemed to follow this unspoken method and she's an economic major, so go figure. I just knew to throw my shit up mid-week and buy on Mondays.
I've also noticed that you can usually get the best sales the later you put up you goods too.
Usually my items never sold around 12PM-9PM server-time, but when I put things up at 12AM-3AM and go to bed, I find that everything has sold.

No science to prove it, but it's never failed me yet.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Woot, just sold all of the vial of sands mats I bought a month ago before transferring. 50k transfer limit sucks. Just never could sit still in Org long enough. They have huge AH deposits.

speedpop said:

Perhaps for certain items. Though for the gem market at least, Tuesday/Wednesday are usually the best because you can move a lot in volume since that's when many raiders are replacing gear, especially if you can control a certain gem by undercutting or buying out competition. Post that stuff at around 5-6 server (if you're raiding, otherwise it could be a little later) and you should have sold nearly everything by 1 a.m. server at the latest.

Nert

Interesting to see the contrasting opinions on Outland vs. Northrend content. I find most of the Outland zones (outside of Nagrand and Netherstorm) to be sleep inducing, while I still really dig Northrend. Northrend's zones have wonderful music, the storylines in each zone seem more coherent and interesting, and the vehicle quests are a neat change of pace. The second my characters hit 68, I immediately delete everything in my quest log and dash over to Northrend.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Boubouille said:

"Update - Build 13914 has been deployed on PTRs but doesn't bring any significant change to the game, looks like Blizzard is just wrapping up things for a live release."

I've seen him point out when a PTR patch is marked as release. 13914 is. Was the previous?

Thoraxes

DeathNote said:
Boubouille said:

"Update - Build 13914 has been deployed on PTRs but doesn't bring any significant change to the game, looks like Blizzard is just wrapping up things for a live release."

I've seen him point out when a PTR patch is marked as release. 13914 is. Was the previous?
It was marked as an RC.

Tamanon

Banned
DeathNote said:
Boubouille said:

Yes, it's been marked Release since last Monday if I remember correctly.

man of science

Neo Member
Can't login because it says my prepaid time has expired. I checked my account and my 1-month recurring payment for 4/18 is still pending. Call up support and a pre-recorded message says they're working on it.

Shitty day gets shittier.

Rokam

man of science said:
Can't login because it says my prepaid time has expired. I checked my account and my 1-month recurring payment for 4/18 is still pending. Call up support and a pre-recorded message says they're working on it.

Shitty day gets shittier.

If you can get a hold of someone via calling they'll credit you 3 days and that'll let you play. But yeah I'm getting same thing and I'm too lazy to call.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nert said:
Interesting to see the contrasting opinions on Outland vs. Northrend content. I find most of the Outland zones (outside of Nagrand and Netherstorm) to be sleep inducing, while I still really dig Northrend. Northrend's zones have wonderful music, the storylines in each zone seem more coherent and interesting, and the vehicle quests are a neat change of pace. The second my characters hit 68, I immediately delete everything in my quest log and dash over to Northrend.
Outland would bother me if it took more than four or five hours, but it honestly just flies by. Northrend feels like you're at an experience standstill.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Started playing again casually two days ago. My prot warrior is at ilvl 322 and soon able to queue for heroics. I do 1-2 dungeons per day depending on how crap the group is and a dozen quests or so. Some nice progress. I'm guessing I'll have to be 346 in a few slots in order not to get kicked/mocked when entering heroics but I'm guessing the current lack of tanks does me a few favours.

kinoki said:
I'm guessing I'll have to be 346 in a few slots in order not to get kicked/mocked when entering heroics but I'm guessing the current lack of tanks does me a few favours.

Yeah. Ultimately running as the tank you're holding all the cards.

Anyway, getting some 346+s shouldn't be too tough. Grinding up the Cata reps will get you like 2-3 346s and 2 359s while every class has access to a couple crafted epics if you've got the gold lying around.

Anyone had a good experience with Internet RAF? I don't have anyone in real life that would want to play WoW with me, but I wanted to get back in at a running start.

DeathNote said:
Did they ever fix the TB bridge exploit? Haven't done TB in a few months.

Yeah they fixed that awhile back. Sometime in January I believe.

I still got a full set of honor gear out of it before they did so though :p

Pollux

Would any of you be interested in creating a "GAF-Horde" on Area 52 (i suggest that server because it seems to have the most horde GAFers on it)? Let me know and I'll figure out the logistics and we can have a GAF-only guild which I think might be fun. We've already got on lined up for TOR but I think a WOW one could work.

So any takers?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ran two normals this morning and explored the various rep vendors and got my ilvl up to 329 so now I'm "ready" for heroics. Still have some greens that needs to be replaced. So prolly one normal followed by a heroic tomorrow. Still don't know the mobs too well to start making up and rushing in, but still.

charlequin said:
Yeah. Ultimately running as the tank you're holding all the cards.

Anyway, getting some 346+s shouldn't be too tough. Grinding up the Cata reps will get you like 2-3 346s and 2 359s while every class has access to a couple crafted epics if you've got the gold lying around.

The reps are moving along slowly but surely. They're all closing in on revered or are already on their way to exalted. So, in a little while they'll get there. Since my patience is limited to 2 instances per day at max it is what it is.

People talking about instant gratification and WoW really haven't played the game; I'll get gratification in a few months when my gear is up to my standard. (The standard I've set after 2 expansions worth of raiding as a prot warrior.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Yeah they fixed that awhile back. Sometime in January I believe.

I still got a full set of honor gear out of it before they did so though :p

I completely ignored TB during that time where winning offense could give a ridiculous amount of honor... now i kinda regret it as im doing BGs & TBs to get a full blue PVP set and its slow grinding. How much did you get back then with a victory on offense?

Morn

Banned
zmoney said:
Would any of you be interested in creating a "GAF-Horde" on Area 52 (i suggest that server because it seems to have the most horde GAFers on it)? Let me know and I'll figure out the logistics and we can have a GAF-only guild which I think might be fun. We've already got on lined up for TOR but I think a WOW one could work.

So any takers?

This never works.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
kinoki said:
Ran two normals this morning and explored the various rep vendors and got my ilvl up to 329 so now I'm "ready" for heroics. Still have some greens that needs to be replaced. So prolly one normal followed by a heroic tomorrow. Still don't know the mobs too well to start making up and rushing in, but still.

The reps are moving along slowly but surely. They're all closing in on revered or are already on their way to exalted. So, in a little while they'll get there. Since my patience is limited to 2 instances per day at max it is what it is.

People talking about instant gratification and WoW really haven't played the game; I'll get gratification in a few months when my gear is up to my standard. (The standard I've set after 2 expansions worth of raiding as a prot warrior.
Are you a veteran tank that doesn't plan on raiding and is playing casually?

I'm pretty sure 4.1 comes out next week. There's a minimum iLevel average of 346 to do the tier 2 heroics (Zul'Alman and ul'Gurub). They drop 353 gear, the current raid gear is 359.

When Firelands hits in a few months, all the 359 vendor Valor gear will be in Justice vendors.

Heroics get repetitive and faceroll fast over time. You can only do them for so long before you need to expand your horizons. Raid/alts/pvp. If you're casual enough, you'll still be running them in a few months for the epic vendor gear. You can't stock up on justice points, 4000 is the cap.

And I don't know why you're taking about instant gratification or who you're referring to. Everyone knows it takes a lot of time to gear up.

bunbun777

There's going to be new artifacts.....7 of them but even better is i will not have as many NE digsites and more Tol'vir... now that beetle mount doesn't seem so insane.

Bisnic

bunbun777 said:
There's going to be new artifacts.....7 of them but even better is i will not have as many NE digsites and more Tol'vir... now that beetle mount doesn't seem so insane.

Did i miss something or is Blizz going to reduce the number of night elf digsites in Kalimdor?

Pollux

Morn said:
This never works.
Why wouldn't it work? If you don't want to leave your current guild, create a new toon. Then we can quest and power lvl and get on with the raiding and what not.

bjb

Banned
Fugu said:

Between Outlands and Northrend, I can really only stomach 1-2 levels per day. And that's in full BoA gear.

Bisnic

It's better to mix outlands and northrend lvling with bgs and/or dungeons. If you only do quests, you will want to kill yourself.

bunbun777

Bisnic said:
Did i miss something or is Blizz going to reduce the number of night elf digsites in Kalimdor?

from the blue post:

Archaeology

* Seven new rare items have been added.
* Players now have a much smaller chance of getting a dig site for a race for which they have completed all rare finds.

Bisnic

Oh great, since i got all the night elf rare artifacts, that's something good! I stop counting the number of times i got 4 night elf digsites at the same time in Kalimdor.

Infinity

Started a druid and already level 20, playing mostly random dungeons in a healer role.

Can't get over how much better the original content is vs. Cata, at least IMO.

ch0mp

Bisnic said:
I completely ignored TB during that time where winning offense could give a ridiculous amount of honor... now i kinda regret it as im doing BGs & TBs to get a full blue PVP set and its slow grinding. How much did you get back then with a victory on offense?

I think it was 1,800 honor per win.

Top Bottom