• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Magnus

None of my three alts have a legendary yet, and they're all anywhere between 24h and 100h at level 110. My main is 13 days played at 110 and only just got his 3rd legendary.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Milennia

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5u3cwu/the_mythic_elisande_progression_pull_that_broke/

How can people raid with others for sometimes years and then do something like that to them?

we killed it in 80 attempts

speaking in terms of mw at least which is very similar to what happened to snf as well

this was an officer struggle amongst other things, even i'm still fuzzy on the details i woke up to this.

i'm actually under the assumption many ppl had this planned for weeks and this was the last bit the officers who didnt want to tear the guild apart could hold it together.

the people who were not going to the new guild were left out to dry and werent informed of ANYTHING, there are ppl in my guild who have been here for years and didnt know the guild was dying.

i have a lot of opinions on the matter, but needless to say some people i used to hold in veyr high regard now mean nothing to me.

Einchy

On other less scumbaggy news, Blizz is re-adjusting AP rewards in 7.2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5u33zm/ap_and_m_keystone_ptr_changes/

3 New Areas for M+ (Kara Lower/Upper and the new Cathedral dungeon)
Overflowing was regarded as a super easy affix, this was removed
Bolstering/Necrotic/Skittish/Sanguine were adjusted - Fortified and Tyrannical also adjusted.
Neutral mobs like "(&*DSJ87 Seagulls grant credit
Rebalance AP for longer dungeons, less AP for shorter ones like MoS
Keystone Weekly chest grants a large amount of AP for highest completed.
Legendary Acquisition Adjustment details pending
AK Value/curve not set in stone, intended power gain is similar to current 1-54. (ROFLOL 1000+ M+ Er mer gerd - grindfest legion)

Took little over two hours of playing bot matches to complete the For Azeroth event in HotS and get the mounts for HotS and WoW. It's super easy to farm the event, just /join General and there's tons of people spamming bot matches to farm the mount. The ease and speed of completing it depends on the maps, some are easier to zerg rush than others but overall it takes no time.

Pretty cool looking ground mount for a Shaman, fire Mage or Warlock.

Sölf

RIP Overflowing/Volanic 2016-2017

But I like what I hear, especially that you will get more AP from longer dungeons and a big AP bonus from the weekly chest. Also a few more Affixes, yay!

And I already dread Karazhan with these. The first half has so many mobs while the second has a few strong ones. Oh god the chess event with Fortified will take years...

Syf

Banned
Good to see they're taking steps to reduce the grind a bit. I do love artifact weapons and the way you level them, but just looked like they were going too far with the grind in 7.2.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you think Mythic WoD raids are going to be doable with 2 players this expansion? I haven't tested it yet, but i assume it's near impossible right now.

Really want some of those mythic T17 set. Warlock & warrior are pretty badass.

By the way, for those who missed it last year, today is the start of 2 weeks where you can get the moose mount from archaeology. Go get it!

Do you think Mythic WoD raids are going to be doable with 2 players this expansion? I haven't tested it yet, but i assume it's near impossible right now.

By the way, for those who missed it last year, today is the start of 2 weeks where you can get the moose mount from archaeology. Go get it!

Not sure about a lot of other bosses, but I soloed Hans and Frans and Flamebender for some xmog stuff I wanted, at the least. So two decently geared people shouldn't have a problem I imagine, unless it's a mechanics thing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just got the weirdest glitch.

In timewalking Grim Batol, one of these trash dude that summon a dragon... one them rooted me with his net, but it never came out. The rest of the group ran toward the 3rd boss while i was waiting on blink cooldown trying to reach them(lol).
And when I left & relog, thinking it would maybe fix it, I kept disconnecting everytime until I died and for the root to go away(the root did a slow dot on me thankfully).

Fun times. At least the group was kind enough to wait for me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

RIP Maw runs if true. That's gonna bring some bitching for sure.

I tried Hellfire Citadel with 2 other guildmates, and we ended up having to open for a few pugs.

Granted, this was in a mix of heroic-Mythic EN gear, so going by the way the ilevels are jumping, certain bosses might be possible, but there's still some pretty big DPS checks for just two people.

What an overreaction. There are parts of them that are very bad and Blizz knows it. Fixing the systems instead of just throwing them away is the only lesson worth learning.

Grindiness required for higher AP is bad. They know that

Legendary RNG and how large an effect it has on dpsis bad. they know that.

AP in and of itself is not bad though, and legendaries with fun effects on them are also not inherantly bad.

So two of Legion's big draws range from 'eh' to terrible, and yet the dismissal comes with 'what an overreaction' and 'fixing the systems is the only solution'?

Lol.

But in an attempt to at least give some nuance.....I mean, on some level we're either going to need a gigantic poll or just continue to rely on anecdotal evidence/subjective personal feelings, but the only real 'draw' for AP is that it keeps raiders running Maw over and over again, and nmn-raiders to repeat the same emissaries for the AP quests day after day.

At its core, AP isn't a solution to the 'weapon' hunt problem (which still exists via relics, now, incidentally), it's a 'keep people having to play longer to max their dps' grind.

I won't necessarily say it's bad from a development standpoint of keeping people playing, but I can't think of anyone in my guild who actually loves it. either.

It doesn't actually make the world bigger (aside from people auto-grouping for faster quest completion), it just draws out the BiS grind-hunt.

And the legendary system is pretty (subjectively) terrible for anyone who doesn't get BiS 1 and 2 on their first two drops. Yeah, some people might prefer Prydaz or the healing boots for their non-raiding WoW time, but when a raider aumatically is missing 10-30k (or more) dps through no fault of their own, it generally doesn't engender goodwill.

The 'utility' solution, such as it is, isn't even actually a solution, given that even certain survivability ones give different levels of benefit to different classes for different fights.

I will say that Blizz has at least wised up with regards to 'account wide' AK milestones for alts to instantly start at, and I'm curious to see how the numbers end up stacking out for AP one 7.2 comes around, especially with a max limit of 40 AK.

But I have a feeling Blizz won't be overly generous with their 'reduction' of the curve for the last weapon levels.

v1perz53

Hmm, HotS is free right? Could I use my 2nd account (or make one) to be my own "friend" for AI matches to get the mount? Hah, path of least resistance!

Tacitus_

Hmm, HotS is free right? Could I use my 2nd account (or make one) to be my own "friend" for AI matches to get the mount? Hah, path of least resistance!

It is free and I suppose you could. But since you actually have to play the game this time, I don't think it's the easiest path.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Anyone for some promo games in HotS?

Granadier#1345

Doing easy mode against AI to get it done quick.

v1perz53

It is free and I suppose you could. But since you actually have to play the game this time, I don't think it's the easiest path.

Well its just "complete 15 games with a friend" right? Wouldn't it be simple to get into a game with me and my other account and just afk while losing while I do chores around the house or something? Probably not the fastest way, but seems like it might be the "easiest".

Well its just "complete 15 games with a friend" right? Wouldn't it be simple to get into a game with me and my other account and just afk while losing while I do chores around the house or something? Probably not the fastest way, but seems like it might be the "easiest".

Just so AI matches on the easiest setting. You do have to control your character every couple minutes so you wont be kicked for afk. You can do complete bot matches though, with 2 players.

The path of least resistance is just joining gen chat, joining a group of randoms, friend those randoms and zerg rush mid on a bunch of ai matches.

Lomax

I'm certainly not advocating endless grinds, but the way the current system encourages mythic carries and continued engagement is a huge change from prior expansions and part of that very much is the ap grind I think. Also the legendary drop system, crappy though it may be.

Lain

Give me AP like EXP to make my weapon grow in power as I mow down mobs, no relics to hunt down, weapon looks tied to more sensible unlocks without reskins tied to more unlocks.

Lomax

Give me AP like EXP to make my weapon grow in power as I mow down mobs, no relics to hunt down, weapon looks tied to more sensible unlocks without reskins tied to more unlocks.

Totally disagree there, if ap was just an extension of xp and came from mob grinding that certainly wouldn't create the carries we're seeing now and it wouldn't really feel like anything more than just another xp bar without levels. I do agree about the appearance unlocks though and I hope that gets tweaked in 7.2.

Einchy

I love how they keep adding awesome shit into their games just to force people to play Heroes.

jluvdv0.gif

v1perz53

I quite like the AP grind to be honest. I wouldn't mind if there was no "end" to it. It is quite nice knowing that even if I get unlucky after a whole week of Mythic+ runs, that I end up at least with 1% more armor, 0.5% more damage and a bit more HP. But I guess my group is currently able to do the hardest reward tier M+ content right now, and we don't raid, so I don't need to be "finished". And honestly, despite there being crazy people with self mutilation tendencies and horrible groups that require the people they recruit to have those tendencies, I would much rather a system where I can keep progressing long term regardless of RNG than one where my progression eventually devolves into a pure RNG wish-fest where I hope for good drops.

Magnus

Lots of alt legendary love by the sound of it. My primary alt just got her first one at just over 1 day played at 110. Took my main way longer to get his first. Yay druid power! (I know it's not the best one, but yay anyway!)

IODMny2.png

Einchy

Fourth on my Pally.

RzsVBaf.png

Probably an upgrade but I'm not really excited about it. It's kind of annoying to have to use.

v1perz53

Got my fourth on my Druid today as well. Something seems odd since it was 12 weeks between 2 and 3 but only 2 weeks between 3 and 4. Got the new helm for Guardian druid, it seems ok, would probably use it if the neck I had to replace Prydaz with was better.

Anyway, quick question for people who raid. Now that Essence drop rate was buffed, my M+ 5 man was considering trying to go in and do a quick clear of Normal EN. We've never done it before, but figured it would be fun to try to 5 man it, are there any bosses that are mechanically impossible with 5 people at ~895 ilvl? I don't know the fights beyond LFR, so I'm not sure what mechanics exist. I know I can solo tank everything on LFR but not sure if that extends to normal mode as well (can only 1 tank dragons if DPS is high enough). We have people who can swap to healer and tank if necessary, just not sure which fights this would be needed on.

Tarazet

I guess the answer is both, but being able to one-shot normal mobs should be useful as hell for farming, too. I can get into Legion dungeons at 98, but the problem I'm seeing right off the bat is getting to the 680 ilvl minimum, because the greens in that bracket are 660 baseline. With two relic slots my weapon is only getting to 754. If I had foresight that this would be an issue and loaded up on 7.0 Invasion gear, it could've been avoided, but I can't go back in time sadly.

As I recall, Stormheim drops a 733 piece without having to do a dungeon, so that might be all I need to get going.

So if anyone else wants to try a 98 twink, here's what I've found out so far.

- Don't skip the Legion intro. The 685 trinket is better than anything else you will see for a long time. I skipped it and I sorely regret that, because it put me significantly behind on progress, though I don't expect it to have a big long-term impact.
- Do Val'sharah first. The 800 piece from that zone does not require a dungeon, so the 680 ilvl minimum will be easy to hit.
- You get no access to anything that uses Order Resources (mission table, hall upgrades, bonus rolls), so you can completely ignore bonus objectives since there are no other uses for resources at this time.
- Draenor's crafted 715 gear is better than anything you will see in Legion for this level bracket. Head, Shoulder, and Boots would be my suggestions since you will not get 800's from finishing the zones in those slots.

vocab

Got my fourth on my Druid today as well. Something seems odd since it was 12 weeks between 2 and 3 but only 2 weeks between 3 and 4. Got the new helm for Guardian druid, it seems ok, would probably use it if the neck I had to replace Prydaz with was better.

Anyway, quick question for people who raid. Now that Essence drop rate was buffed, my M+ 5 man was considering trying to go in and do a quick clear of Normal EN. We've never done it before, but figured it would be fun to try to 5 man it, are there any bosses that are mechanically impossible with 5 people at ~895 ilvl? I don't know the fights beyond LFR, so I'm not sure what mechanics exist. I know I can solo tank everything on LFR but not sure if that extends to normal mode as well (can only 1 tank dragons if DPS is high enough). We have people who can swap to healer and tank if necessary, just not sure which fights this would be needed on.

Unsure how scaling even works with 5 people. Considering you can clear mythic en with less than 20 now, normal should feel like lfr.

Lain

Killed Jim and a leg finally dropped for my lock... and it's the back, which will break my lfr 2pc! At least once more LFR wings open up and I get a third tier piece, I'll have a good leg to use.

Thinking about the legendary system, my biggest issue is that utility and pure role legendaries are in the same pool. It feels bad to get a utility legendary instead of your BiS dps/healing/tanking one, and even once a player has a choice between them, it can be an uphill battle to get someone to pick against their role legendaries.

Breaking them out so that you can, say, equip 1-2 role-specific legendaries, and 1 additional utility piece, as well as separating their acquisition methods (for example, putting them on separate bad luck protection rolls, or simply letting us gather currency to outright buy one type) would alleviate some of the pain, and let Blizz balance legendaries against their own categories, instead of having to dive into how to make something like Sephuz' or Prydaz appealing to a player-base that is very often most keen on making the numbers go higher. There are a number of other solutions, of course.

It seems to me like they implemented the system like they did to encourage decisions and "interesting choices", but at least in my experience with other players, the only ones who are faced with these choices and truly consider them are the more hardcore who are considering their interrupt opportunities, or movement requirements, or inc. damage frequency, etc. on a fight.

Ultimately, I love Legion legendaries. The idea of equipping a piece of gear that directly impacts how you play or gear your class, opens up new talent build opportunities, or gives you something new to look out for is just cool as hell to me. It's just a shame that Blizzard hasn't been able to get them to a place where players don't feel "cheated" when they don't get the ones they want.

mclem

Thinking about the legendary system, my biggest issue is that utility and pure role legendaries are in the same pool. It feels bad to get a utility legendary instead of your BiS dps/healing/tanking one, and even once a player has a choice between them, it can be an uphill battle to get someone to pick against their role legendaries.

I wonder if a key move might be to make each Legendary a Benediction/Anathema-type thing, so it can toggle between a throughput form or a utility form.

And/or maybe adjust the legendary restrictions to allow one of each type.

I wonder if a key move might be to make each Legendary a Benediction/Anathema-type thing, so it can toggle between a throughput form or a utility form.

And/or maybe adjust the legendary restrictions to allow one of each type.

The thing about having restrictions and allowing one of each type, is that you would actually have to have a DPS legendary in the first place
oexTA6a.gif

Took little over two hours of playing bot matches to complete the For Azeroth event in HotS and get the mounts for HotS and WoW. It's super easy to farm the event, just /join General and there's tons of people spamming bot matches to farm the mount. The ease and speed of completing it depends on the maps, some are easier to zerg rush than others but overall it takes no time.

Pretty cool looking ground mount for a Shaman, fire Mage or Warlock.

Don't you have to be friends with people to farm the mount? I want to do it for my wife.

Lomax

The most insane thing about legendaries is that they are per spec. That's just straight up trolling at this point, it would be trivial for each of them to change with each spec to make it relevant to that spec. For some reason they followed the stupid trinket design concept with them and it's just dumb and pointless.

But with the Benediction suggestion, you would

I mean okay, but it's probably too far gone to go in that direction now for this expansion. It would be an immense amount design work, essentially doubling the number of legendaries in the game, as opposed to just making a couple new ones for each spec ala 7.1.5.

I expect the 7.2 legendary changes likely finally coming in the next PTR build or two to be much more conservative, if not allowing you to target specific legendaries as was alluded to way back near the start of the expac, then allowing you to reroll ones you have. Besides the change where it looks like legendaries will now drop as unidentified tokens.

Implementing a framework that simply alters how and what legendaries people acquire of the currently existing lot (and maybe adding a handful of new ones again) is much easier than balancing/re-balancing the (100+?) legendaries already in-game to have an alternate function.

--------

Related, I feel like my Raddon's helm could be more interesting. As it stands, it allows for meme build, but the potential is/was there to strictly make eyebeam usable in single-target as a DPS gain. One way or another at least (e.g. - eyebeam does X% more damage on the first target it hits/if it only hits a single target ala that new trinket in Nighthold)

The most insane thing about legendaries is that they are per spec. That's just straight up trolling at this point, it would be trivial for each of them to change with each spec to make it relevant to that spec. For some reason they followed the stupid trinket design concept with them and it's just dumb and pointless.

Funny thing about this for monks - Brewmasters have a spec-specific belt,as well as having Cindaria on their loot table. So if you were really unfortunate you could end up with two legendary belts as your first two and not be able to use one.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yeah, should have been mirror legs for each spec (i.e. if one spec has legs/shoulders/helm, the other does too with different effects). Then when you switch specs, those specific legs switch. People talk about AP limiting specs, but it's really these legs. Will be interesting to see how and if they retain legendaries for next xpac. I honestly hope they do, but also hope they learned a lot from Legion legendaries. Legendaries are a cool concept at the core, but the way they were implemented was just so stupid and short-sighted.

In other news, 5 weeks of Heroic AND Normal nighthold and I still can't get either Convergence or Draught of Souls. Very frustrating :(. I have like 5 excess coins this week, think I'm just going to try to pug heroic Gul'Dan 5 times for extra bonus rolls as annoying as that sounds. Hopefully pugs can kill him with ease these days.

Yeah, should have been mirror legs for each spec (i.e. if one spec has legs/shoulders/helm, the other does too with different effects). Then when you switch specs, those specific legs switch. People talk about AP limiting specs, but it's really these legs. Will be interesting to see how and if they retain legendaries for next xpac. I honestly hope they do, but also hope they learned a lot from Legion legendaries. Legendaries are a cool concept at the core, but the way they were implemented was just so stupid and short-sighted.

In other news, 5 weeks of Heroic AND Normal nighthold and I still can't get either Convergence or Draught of Souls. Very frustrating :(. I have like 5 excess coins this week, think I'm just going to try to pug heroic Gul'Dan 5 times for extra bonus rolls as annoying as that sounds. Hopefully pugs can kill him with ease these days.

I don't know if I would call it short-sighted. I don't think that's the right term for what happened here. Stupid works though still.

Would be an interesting story to hear if there's ever a post-mortem on Legion for how the system was allowed to go live as it currently stands from 7.0 to present.

Supposedly they took inspiration from Diablo, but they completely dropped certain aspects, perhaps thinking them extraneous, which upon closer examination turn out to have significant value. Just one example quickly: Identifying items (which should be coming in 7.2), which fixes the spec-specific drop problem more elegantly than having a "legendary loot spec". Yeah this could also have been solved by having all legendaries for a given class mirror slots and hot-swap on spec-changes, but that's a bit more constraining design and flavor-wise.

I wish the ones that aren't meant for a particular spec, like Prydaz, were bind on account so they could be sent and used on other characters. Prydaz is so useful and I'd love to be able to use it on characters than really need it, rather than my druid.

Mupod

yeah I was fortunate in a way that my early legendaries were cross spec and good for how I play Blood. The boots that increase your speed through haste and Sephuz' Secret are both pretty useful in mythic+ and Karazhan. Gotta go fast.

But for actual DPS legendaries I'm obligated to prioritize my raid spec. So I'll never get any of the 'real' Blood legendaries unless one drops on the few bosses I don't need any DPS loot.

Top Bottom