• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Getting back into WoW after a pause for half a year or so, at one point I was so far ahead and now it feels like I'm behind with people flying. Thankfully only got the Legionfall rep to do to get that.

So what is the way to start getting class mounts?

Complete Class Campaign
Complete Broken Shore questline
Complete Mount questline

wihio

Do I need to use my level 90 boost before buying legion (will it be overwritten by the level 100 boost)? Want to get a couple characters up if I can!

EmiPrime

Do I need to use my level 90 boost before buying legion (will it be overwritten by the level 100 boost)? Want to get a couple characters up if I can!

I have seen screenshots of the character select with both boost icons at the top. Pretty sure you'll be okay.

Fjordson

Hot damn, just bought a 910 relic from the catch-up gear ethereal on the Vindicaar and it titanforged to 945 lmao.

Titanforging is fun when you get a good one, but the whole system is kinda goofy. Just crazy RNG.

I think Draenor's Shadowmoon Valley is probably one of my favourite zones in the game. It's so beautiful and idealic, the questing is enjoyable and it has some pretty fantastic audio design, from the ambient sounds to the soundtrack itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaTyhXV8vMQ
Agreed! I love Shadowmoon

WoD couldn't keep my interest for long, but it was really fun to level through.

Tarazet

Why did I have to be bitten by the Outlaw bug whyyyyyyy!

All the guides say to use Marked for Death. But I sim my character on AMR and no matter how many targets, Death from Above comes out at least 8-10% ahead. I think I'm going to have to experiment and decide for myself. I'm looking at the top parses on Warcraftlogs and NOBODY is using Death from Above for Outlaw.

mclem

Titanforging is fun when you get a good one, but the whole system is kinda goofy. Just crazy RNG.

My two items that have titanforged to the highest level... are both shoulders. (920 some time ago, 955 last week). And given that I want to use at least one legendary in a tier-slot, that puts me in an awkward spot when trying to keep my 4-set.

Yam's

Too many tanks on Argus, rares can take a while to die ;(

But I still love Argus and cannot wait to try invasions and see the last area. Got a legendary from a chest too with an alt. Makes it even more frustrating whenever a chest disappears right in front of you or while you're opening it.

vocab

All the guides say to use Marked for Death. But I sim my character on AMR and no matter how many targets, Death from Above comes out at least 8-10% ahead. I think I'm going to have to experiment and decide for myself. I'm looking at the top parses on Warcraftlogs and NOBODY is using Death from Above for Outlaw.

Nobody plays outlaw at the higher levels. Dfa is really such a annoying talent to deal with in mythic so people tend to go with stability, especially on maidens.

Outlaw is pretty crap right now from what I gather. But I play Assassination mostly and that's pretty trashtastic as well. Sub is apparently one of the better specs in the game, which I guess it deserves for being about as fun as a prostate exam.

Lyng

Outlaw is pretty crap right now from what I gather. But I play Assassination mostly and that's pretty trashtastic as well. Sub is apparently one of the better specs in the game, which I guess it deserves for being about as fun as a prostate exam.

Personally I find assaaination about as fun as doing my taxes. Sub on the other hans is a spec I really love

Tarazet

Nobody plays outlaw at the higher levels. Dfa is really such a annoying talent to deal with in mythic so people tend to go with stability, especially on maidens.

Method's world first mythic KJ kill used an Outlaw Rogue, so it can't be completely useless. There's no way that having 1 out of the 5 being Outlaw brought anything unique, but if it's good enough for world first progression I'm going to take the "it's bad" talk with the world's biggest grain of salt.

Method's world first mythic KJ kill used an Outlaw Rogue, so it can't be completely useless. There's no way that having 1 out of the 5 being Outlaw brought anything unique, but if it's good enough for world first progression I'm going to take the "it's bad" talk with the world's biggest grain of salt.
AFAIK Worstplayer was sub given his legs and stat weights, just logged out as Outlaw.

Savitar

Too many tanks on Argus, rares can take a while to die ;(

But I still love Argus and cannot wait to try invasions and see the last area. Got a legendary from a chest too with an alt. Makes it even more frustrating whenever a chest disappears right in front of you or while you're opening it.

First time I've ever seen a complaint about there being too many tanks in WoW and I've been around since ye ol days.

argus is so bad it makes me want to unsubscribe. god

Yeah it is. Blizzard needs to come up with more than just these weird ass playgrounds that are uninteresting. Timeless isle was interesting, the one from Warlords wasn't. Broken shore wasn't, and this isn't either. Something needs to change.

Some complaints about Argus are well-founded, but personally I'm giving it until all the features are released to pass judgment. We still have the invasion points launching this week (today) plus the dungeon and whatever else unlocks in week 3.

Yeah, navigation/mob density is kind of a pain, though I have to say I'm a bit insulated to how bad it can actually be given that I'm playing a rogue right now. (I don't mount too often at all on Argus when I can just stealth past everything and go fairly speedily at the same time.)

Maybe y'all just need to buy some goblin gliders?

Though I do agree that the "playground" design has gotten a bit stale and almost progressively worse over time (though I'd say that Argus is still superior to Broken Shore.) Timeless Isle is still the golden standard in terms of density with interesting things to do. There's gotta be something they can bring to the table besides "rare" hunting, treasures, elite pet battles (though I ignore those), WQs/dailies, world boss(es), etc. That specific cocktail clearly doesn't impress anymore 2 expansions down the line. Now that's not to say that those things shouldn't be in the mix, but at least one or two new things should be the focus.

Maybe invasion points will be really cool, who knows?

Broken shore with the Mage tower challenges was a good step. Nether portal and Sentinax farming were kind of a bust (Sentinax would've been better if they didn't nerf it into the ground.) I do like the server/region progression mechanic, but the Broken Shore wasn't as compelling as ToT or AQ gates opening IMO. Especially since the stuff constantly gets torn down and has to be rebuilt.

This expansion is still a bit tainted overall by the legendary system though, making main-switching/catching-up/whatever more difficult than it should be. Time-gating on the span of months essentially.

Uh, that's all I have for now I think.

The main questing zones they've done for the past several expansions are amazing. They just need to add a smaller normal type zone, with normal style questing, then have enough WQs towards the end to keep it interesting, and of course end it with a raid for those that play that content. A boring ass sandbox with repetitive WQs from the start isn't the way. :p

I'm talking just leveling here, not endgame, but leveling as mage and warlock is pretty boring, and/or weak. Balance druid, for example, seems to be on another level than these classes. Mage is great on elite fights where you can blink/kite around looking pretty (if they aren't immune to slow/nova), but it's so weak against normal enemies. You have to work much harder than any of the other classes and specs I've played in Legion so far, and it gets tiring. Warlock was my first main character in vanilla (shaman in beta :p), so I do love the class, but wow is it in a boring place right now. And I guess the balance to never dying is doing low damage. Again, just leveling, I'm not talking about endgame damage.

Entropia

No One Remembers
We doing Argus hot takes?

1. It's basically three broken shores.
2. Navigation is a total pain the ass.
3. The whole thing with chests despawning shortly after someone has used one is annoying. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't MoP handle chests on the Timeless Isle a whole lot better? Weren't some on a daily/weekly lockout?
4. Mob density could be toned down a slight notch.
5. Blizzard needs to stop with these types of areas. I mean yeah they are fun for a few weeks, but after that it becomes a bore and a chore.

I'm having an alright time with for now at least. Once I have the rep / toys / mounts I'll probably be bored of it. Because it's new though I'm all excited about it.

Yam's

Yeah it is. Blizzard needs to come up with more than just these weird ass playgrounds that are uninteresting. Timeless isle was interesting, the one from Warlords wasn't. Broken shore wasn't, and this isn't either. Something needs to change.

I feel the opposite. Enjoyed them all but Timeless Isle which made me quit quite quickly cause there wasn't much to do.

I'm waiting for the rest of Argus to open up before giving a final opinion but so far, other than the dullness of how it looks, I've been happy. But I'm been doing it as Guardian so between being a tank and using stealth when I want to in cat form has prevented a lot of annoyances.

One thing I would have really liked to see, and this goes for Legion as a whole, is more representation of the Horde and other races in general. We're back to focusing on humans, elves, and now draenei. I'm so bored with them. One of the reasons I love Highmountain so much is that it focuses on tauren which is one of the races that needs attention.

Yo make sure you guys have your transmog looking hot before doing today's new quests.

I wonder if I can make mine any more boring.

zdf0GES.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
One thing I would have really liked to see, and this goes for Legion as a whole, is more representation of the Horde and other races in general. We're back to focusing on humans, elves, and now draenei. I'm so bored with them. One of the reasons I love Highmountain so much is that it focuses on tauren which is one of the races that needs attention.

Hey, at least we're not fighting orcs anymore. Kinda grew tired of this after doing this since the last patch of MoP.

TheYanger

I don't get the complaints. Argus is not hard to navigate. You are bad at moving around the game world if you have trouble with that. Straight up.

As far as actual content, it splits the difference between Tanaan and Timeless Isle, I vastly prefer the way Argus does this stuff. Timeless Isle had mobs that spawned on 30 minute intervals starting 60 mnutes after they were killed, it required an addon to monitor their respawns and the drop rates on items were terrifically low. I enjoyed Timeless Isle a LOT, and it had a lot of content due to how it worked, but that was bsaically it: Kill rares, run laps based on their respawns or hope you were lucky enough to find them, and then a handful of events that you could repeat weekly or whatever.

Contrast with Tanaan which only really differed in that the rares were guaranteed to drop their 'cool' drop the first time you killed them, which meant you exhausted that content almost immediately, other than waiting for rares to be up.

Argus I appreciate that the rares are not ALWAYS up, but are still the new style 'hey when it's up it's up for at least a few hours and you just have to kill it once a day to get a shot at loot' type of mobs, but they also have rarer drops like the Timeless Isle rares. This keeps me killing mobs every day so far in Argus and keeps me checking if something is up, but not running a constant lap or checking timers for fear that I'll miss it - if it's up now, it'll be up 10 minutes later too and I'm in no huge rush. The world quests thusfar are probably the least frustrating world quests they've made this expansion, nothi9gn amazingly creative but just bite-sized enough to be fun. The exploration is moderately rewarding so far, there are lots of places to use the Vindicaar abilities, though obviously we only have one so far, to open caves or get more treasure etc.

The only real downsides are that mobs are hard (which will get easier over time, so you gotta start somewhere, fi tehy were easy now this would never last) and that it's kind of visually boring. The main reason Timeless Isle remains the gold standard is honestly the visual atmosphere imo, it was a pleasant lush island that made it invited to spend your days there.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't get the complaints. Argus is not hard to navigate. You are bad at moving around the game world if you have trouble with that. Straight up.

As far as actual content, it splits the difference between Tanaan and Timeless Isle, I vastly prefer the way Argus does this stuff. Timeless Isle had mobs that spawned on 30 minute intervals starting 60 mnutes after they were killed, it required an addon to monitor their respawns and the drop rates on items were terrifically low. I enjoyed Timeless Isle a LOT, and it had a lot of content due to how it worked, but that was bsaically it: Kill rares, run laps based on their respawns or hope you were lucky enough to find them, and then a handful of events that you could repeat weekly or whatever.

Contrast with Tanaan which only really differed in that the rares were guaranteed to drop their 'cool' drop the first time you killed them, which meant you exhausted that content almost immediately, other than waiting for rares to be up.

Argus I appreciate that the rares are not ALWAYS up, but are still the new style 'hey when it's up it's up for at least a few hours and you just have to kill it once a day to get a shot at loot' type of mobs, but they also have rarer drops like the Timeless Isle rares. This keeps me killing mobs every day so far in Argus and keeps me checking if something is up, but not running a constant lap or checking timers for fear that I'll miss it - if it's up now, it'll be up 10 minutes later too and I'm in no huge rush. The world quests thusfar are probably the least frustrating world quests they've made this expansion, nothi9gn amazingly creative but just bite-sized enough to be fun. The exploration is moderately rewarding so far, there are lots of places to use the Vindicaar abilities, though obviously we only have one so far, to open caves or get more treasure etc.

The only real downsides are that mobs are hard (which will get easier over time, so you gotta start somewhere, fi tehy were easy now this would never last) and that it's kind of visually boring. The main reason Timeless Isle remains the gold standard is honestly the visual atmosphere imo, it was a pleasant lush island that made it invited to spend your days there.

!rarespawn Huolon

Hey, at least we're not fighting orcs anymore. Kinda grew tired of this after doing this since the last patch of MoP.

Yeah, good point. They're definitely a race that needs a break.

Always happens in these open zones that encourage farming. The geared Paladins/DKs roll with tank specs because they can do big pulls, and the scrubs do it because otherwise they are constantly dying and running back

This is me, lol.

Tarazet

First time I've ever seen a complaint about there being too many tanks in WoW and I've been around since ye ol days.

Always happens in these open zones that encourage farming. The geared Paladins/DKs roll with tank specs because they can do big pulls, and the scrubs do it because otherwise they are constantly dying and running back.

Nokterian

After a week i'm comfortable to navigate through argus now Mac'ree needs to open up tomorrow. I want to do invasions and the new dungeon.

Navigation reminds me that nothing is easy, even back in the vanilla going to a place like Black Rock Mountain pulled lots and lots of mobs on the way to there or even do something simple.

RPGCrazied

Gating patches is so annoying. Just release the whole patch. I know they think this solves patch droughts at the end of expansions but leads to more problems.

With the caveat that I mostly play a rogue and Bear, I don't think Argus is that bad to navigate. I do just think it is mostly boring looking. The only exception I'm the first two zones is the piss field. This was always going to be an issue, and part of the reason the Broken Shore was so terrible, too. I haven't been to Mac'Aree yet but that is at least supposed to be different from gray and green.

WoW's map system is bad and a better one would solve a lot of the navigation issues. They seem to do their best with the style and tools they have and they make an honest effort to improve things but it is an area where the game showing its age is hard to avoid.

Argus sucks because it looks like garbage and isn't fun to play. I don't want to see a Fel Mordor area ever again. I was tired of it by the end of WoD, I was extremely tired of it on Broken Shore, and now I'm like mondo double-plus ultra tired of it in Legion. Fuck off with the slurm. Come up with a new color palette for the love of all that's holy.

The checklist of WQs and rare farming would at least be entertaining in a podcast-and-play kind of way if the area was cool or pleasant to play, but it's just aggressively not fun to navigate. There are no landmarks worth a damn, the mobs are packed far too tightly, and thanks to the jagged elevation changes and boiling mountain dew everywhere things right next to each other on the map require aggravating roundabout navigation to get between. I don't give a shit about how "skilled" you can be at avoiding everything. It isn't fun to carefully thread the needle to get ten yards without pulling fifty guys, and it certainly isn't fun to pull said fifty guys either. If the choice I'm offered is between meticulously navigating this ugly fractal hellscape or bulldozing through every annoying enemy in said fractal hellscape, I'm gonna choose logging off and playing a different game. It sucks ass.

Jag

Argus sucks because it looks like garbage and isn't fun to play. I don't want to see a Fel Mordor area ever again. I was tired of it by the end of WoD, I was extremely tired of it on Broken Shore, and now I'm like mondo double-plus ultra tired of it in Legion. Fuck off with the slurm. Come up with a new color palette for the love of all that's holy.

The checklist of WQs and rare farming would at least be entertaining in a podcast-and-play kind of way if the area was cool or pleasant to play, but it's just aggressively not fun to navigate. There are no landmarks worth a damn, the mobs are packed far too tightly, and thanks to the jagged elevation changes and boiling mountain dew everywhere things right next to each other on the map require aggravating roundabout navigation to get between. I don't give a shit about how "skilled" you can be at avoiding everything. It isn't fun to carefully thread the needle to get ten yards without pulling fifty guys, and it certainly isn't fun to pull said fifty guys either. If the choice I'm offered is between meticulously navigating this ugly fractal hellscape or bulldozing through every annoying enemy in said fractal hellscape, I'm gonna choose logging off and playing a different game. It sucks ass.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel the same way. I didn't think they could make it less interesting than Tanaan or Broken Isle, but they did. I honestly don't care about trailing 1000 mobs into a WQ boss because they get mowed down, but you're right that it just isn't fun right now.

Fjordson

I guess I'm in the minority in that I really the look of Argus (mainly seeing Azeroth in the sky) and still find these sandbox zones fun.

I do agree that the mob density could be dialed back a decent amount. 90% of the time I've got a massive train of mobs chasing me whenever I'm running to a quest or rare mob.

I dont mind Argus. I actually am kinda fond of how it looks, mostly because the view of Azeroth is beautiful and the skybox goes on forever. But fel green has been overdone, yes.

About mob density I agree, but you could say that what did you expect the Legion homeworld be like but that's a pretty bullshit answer for bad design. Id probably compare it to Suramar at the start which sucked until people just outscaled it, but I guess it is more like Tanaan which is a geographical nightmare. That's one thing Argus could have done better. Navigation fucking sucks, which again you could say well what did you expect from this planet but eh, lazy excuse.

I still like it better then Broken Shore because there is actual story content here

Zelias

Banned
Yeah, the Legion = green thing is extremely overdone at this point, but I still don't mind how Argus looks and plays. The skybox had me staring at it for a good few minutes, something that hasn't happened since Hellfire Peninsula.

The days are coming of the Voids drab purple. You will beg for green.

I kinda like the idea of Krokuun being a hostile environment you need to try and navigate but they did the same thing with Tanaan because its Bleeding Hollow territory and that sucked. Antoran Wastes are just a mess. Hopefully McCree is more interesting.

iirate

Argus is tolerable for me because of Tumblerun Brew. Monks get to move faster than mounts(with Chi Torpedo) while ignoring combat, daze, and being indoors. No need to thread needles when you leave anything chasing you in the dust. Brewmaster and Windwalker have their own advantages outside of that, but both at my gear level(normal ToS) demolish the new zones.

As an aff warlock that has a tank pet (infernal) and a constant stream of self-healing with healthstones, phantom singularity and drain soul and cant be dazed (demon skin) I try and keep in mind I'm having a way easier time then most.

I do see people dying all the time. We get faster mount speed when we discover the whole map

Yam's

While farming the mount rares with all my alts, I can understand how some may dislike Argus depending on their main. However as someone regularly switching from FF14 to WoW, that's exactly the kind of area I enjoy because it has some sense of danger. Something missing from most MMO in my opinion.

I enjoy having to check which way I'm gonna take before rushing to a WQ and being punished if I'm too greedy on the way (obviously that's when I'm on my dps stance, tank stance is stupidly op there).

Also helps that I enjoy the scenery. I specially like the northern area of Krokuun which reminds me of Crota's raid from Destiny.

Top Bottom