• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Patch 4.0.3a - The Shattering

notworksafe

sLDAm.jpg

The Shattering of Azeroth said:
In the frigid wastes of Northrend, the final battle against the merciless Lich King ended in victory for Azeroth's defenders. Upon returning home, veterans of the unforgiving conflict against the Scourge were showered with praise for their valiant sacrifices, while the honorable dead were mourned. Yet as hope flared anew in the wake of the Lich King's fall, Azeroth's native elemental spirits grew confused and erratic, setting off a series of deadly natural disasters. Horde and Alliance leaders scrambled for clues about the troubling state of the world, but nothing could have prepared them for what was to come.

Without warning, the corrupted Dragon Aspect, Deathwing, erupted from the stone heart of Deepholm, the domain of earth within the Elemental Plane. Jagged fissures were torn across the earth, and monstrous waves pummeled coastal regions. From Thousand Needles to the Blasted Lands, the surface of Azeroth was reforged through violent upheavals. Now, the Horde and the Alliance must defend their homes against Deathwing and his minions, burdened by the unsettling fact that the world as they know it has changed... forever.

Finally! After months of waiting, whining, trolling, beta testing, and cheers Blizzard gives us…THE SHATTERING! (Well, once the servers come online anyway!)

That's right! Almost everything you ever knew about old Azeroth is gone forever! Landscapes have been torn apart, quests redone, NPCs moved, died, or brought back! This isn't just a patch kids…it's World of Warcraft 2!

Enough RP already! What's changed?

Well…almost every zone in the game for one! Here's a breakdown courtesy of MMO-Champion (they're clickable!)

Big deal…so some stuff blew up. What else?

* New Race/Class combinations!
Human - Hunter
Dwarf - Mage, Shaman, Warlock
Gnome - Priest
Night Elf - Mage
Tauren - Paladin, Priest
Forsaken - Hunter
Troll - Druid, Warlock
Orc - Mage
Blood Elf - Warrior

* There's new music for the new zones!
Orgrimmar
Stormwind
Stonetalon
Ruins of Auberdine
…and more!

* New Hunter pets! (also clickable!)
Monkey!

Dog!

Fox!

Beetle!

New login screen!
New opening cinematic!

* Faction city tabards that give reputation!
That's right! Now you don't have to turn in cloth to get Exalted with Undercity! Just slap on a tabard and beat the snot out of some dungeon monsters! Link

* 20% reduction of XP required for levels 71-80!
Now you can be ready for the Cataclysm expansion even faster!

Before you ask…this is what's NOT in this patch:

Creating worgen/goblin characters
Worgen/Goblin start zones
Archeology
Professions past 450 (Illustrious Grand Master)
Guild leveling
Guild achievements
Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor flight
New Zones (80+)

Now's the time to hop on and join the fun! Start your new character (or get back in the saddle with your old main) in the World of Warcraft today!

What if I want to play with GAF?
There's no "official" GAF server or guild, but we have congregated in a few places:
US Servers: At the moment the unofficial GAF server is Area 52 Hordeside. I'm in a guild there that has quite a few GAF people, so just toss me a PM if you want to play!

If you want to play Alliance on US side, go to Stormscale server. Either PM The Lamonster or send a whisper to his characters in game: Lamonster or Astelynne.

EU Servers: Aggramar Alliance side is your server. Not sure about a guild or who to PM for info.

There is also a running spreadsheet of GAF WoW players. Please add yourself or check to see if any GAFs play on your server!
Submission Form
Viewable Spreadsheet

How much is getting up to date going to cost me?
If you already own the base game, you can see everything in the new Azeroth without having to buy an expansion. If you want to get every expansion, there are still ways to do it for cheap!

You can buy the base game and Burning Crusade at K-Mart for $10 on Black Friday. There's another way if you don't mind going all digital:

On the Blizzard Online Store the games are selling for very cheap! 5 dollars/euros each for WoW and BC. 10 dollars/euros for Wrath!
US Blizz Store: http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=f:1
EU Blizz Store: http://eu.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:0,f:1,c:1

Links:
MMO-Champion - for a breakdown of more new stuff and more cool pics
WoWPedia - For more Warcraft lore action
NeoGAF World of Warcraft |OT| - Come chat with the rest of us super nerds
World of Warcraft Official 4.0.3a Patch Notes - For the nitty gritty on class changes and the like (will be updated when servers are online)

Also...if anyone wants to give the new world a shot and has previously subscribed, hit up one of the people below in a PM with your Battle.net email or Character Name and Server and they will send you a Scroll of Resurrection (10 day trial) as long as you don't have a Wrath of the Lich King account. You must not have played in the last 90 days (trials included) to get a Scroll.

US Scrolls:
Garryk
Owensboro
Flib
KibblesBits
HarryDemeanor
vid
VAIL
Soroc
CarbonatedFalcon

EU Scrolls:
Milpool

Bento

Nice! A couple of weeks ago I traveled through many of the old areas just to get a last look of them, so many memories :)

VAIL

The Gnome and Troll starter zones should be done by everyone, even if you don't keep the toon, they are fun and really well done.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So the new race/class combos are introduced in this patch but locked off for Cataclysm owners only, or are they for everyone?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best expansion ever.

notworksafe

ultron87 said:
Was this released today?

Is it too late to start playing again and get one last look at the old haunts?
The servers are down for servicing, but it'll be out when they come online. Unless you're in Europe. Then you've got one more day to wait.

* Faction city tabards that give reputation!
That's right! Now you don't have to turn in cloth to get Exalted with Undercity! Just slap on a tabard and beat the snot out of some dungeon monsters!
What are the details on this?

ultron87 said:
Was this released today?

It's too late if you're in the US. Servers are down for shattering and the new "old" world will be in place when they're back up.

Fake edit: Beaten like Gamon.

Evlar

Banned
ultron87 said:
Was this released today?

It's too late in the North American servers. If you're in Europe you have less than 24 hours.

WoW 2.0 IS HERE BABY.

New login screen is hot.

I will roll a Troll Warlock today to check out the new starting area for Trolls + new Orgrimmar.

B-Dex

Thnikkaman said:
So the new race/class combos are introduced in this patch but locked off for Cataclysm owners only, or are they for everyone?

Everyone can make use of the new class/race combos you just can't make Goblins or Worgens yet.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Going to be so strange to see the world change so much, still remember running through the Barrens six years ago :lol

webrunner

Oh, here's a question: Map exploration

What happens to new/removed areas of maps in terms of the exploration achievements and map fog?

Entropia

No One Remembers
The Lamonster said:
What are the details on this?

Each faction has a quartermaster that you buy a tabard from. Wear the tabard while you are doing the 5 man levelling dungeons and you will get rep from killing the mobs in the instance.

If I recall, the only rewards are cloaks.

Rapstah

I just PM'd you a 1080 cap of the log in screen.

EDIT: 1080p? What the fuck was I thinking? Pictures aren't interlaced.

webrunner said:
Oh, here's a question: Map exploration

What happens to new/removed areas of maps in terms of the exploration achievements and map fog?

If you have the exploration achievement for a certain zone it will still be cleared up for you once you log in.

EDIT: Had to change it to zone for clarification. I forgot that each zone had it's own exploration achievement.

Entropia said:
Each faction has a quartermaster that you buy a tabard from. Wear the tabard while you are doing the 5 man levelling dungeons and you will get rep from killing the mobs in the instance.

If I recall, the only rewards are cloaks.
Where is the Stormwind quartermaster that sells this tabard?

Top Bottom