• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Patch 4.0.3a - The Shattering

funkmastergeneral said:
I hope heroics aren't as hard as they were (supposedly) in BC. It would be quite a hassle using the random dungeon finder if they're hard as hell.

I for one am damn welcome to a return to unpromised success in dungeons, if for no other reason than better pacing and expectations.

Feel around for a guild with good players and/or good people (it is a multiplayer game, after all). Let the crappies scrape together their own runs full of raging and epeening again.

Cipherr

funkmastergeneral said:
I hope heroics aren't as hard as they were (supposedly) in BC. It would be quite a hassle using the random dungeon finder if they're hard as hell.

Just run them with guildies thats all. The heightened difficulty of heroics will cause alot more ragequits in heroics in cata. :lol Im not sure alot of the impatient people will be ready for this reset. I wouldnt run a PUG random the first few months of the expansion if my life depended on it. Very lucky to have a great guild full of core gamers.

Tendo said:
I'd mind a lot less if it didn't shoot out of his head. Dang :( I have never made a rogue. Maybe now is the time. My main is a hunter and I never really dug warrior so I guess rogue it is haha.
My main is also a hunter (marksman) and I went with a mage (arcane) as my alt, and I'm starting to enjoy the mage gameplay better than hunter gameplay...

nyong

Banned
Ok, so it's been a couple of years since I last subscribed.

I really like the changes! Some of the stuff, like the removal of weapon's training, seems like a no-brainer in retrospect. I'm playing a Gnome Warlock at the moment (lvl 15) and the class is much less tedious than I remember it being, especially with the changes to soul shards. The forced splitting of sub-classes was an excellent move too: increased class diversity and much easier to maintain balance in a vacuum. So far the zone changes are more superficial than anything, though. The first few levels notwithstanding.

I have a quick question.

I just resubbed and transfered a character that I haven't played since the end of BC-So it's a level 70 lock.

I'm in Shattrath but the portals in the center of the city are gone. Where am I supposed to go to continue questing in the Northrend and how do I get there? Thanks in advance. Unfortunately couldn't ask this question on my server without being mocked to death..lol

OJdaKiller said:
I have a quick question.

I just resubbed and transfered a character that I haven't played since the end of BC-So it's a level 70 lock.

I'm in Shattrath but the portals in the center of the city are gone. Where am I supposed to go to continue questing in the Northrend and how do I get there? Thanks in advance. Unfortunately couldn't ask this question on my server without being mocked to death..lol
I might not be correct about Alliance, but I believe Stormwind and Undercity goto Howling Fjord. Orgrimmar and Theremore goto Borean Tundra.

Ships and Zeps are the transportation.

Shining Sunshine said:
I might not be correct about Alliance, but I believe Stormwind and Undercity goto Howling Fjord. Orgrimmar and Theremore goto Borean Tundra.

Ships and Zeps are the transportation.

There's a Zep that connects to Shatt?

notworksafe

OJdaKiller said:
From Shatt you can fly to the Dark Portal and near the Alliance/Horde flightpaths there (on Outland side) are portals to SW/Org respectively.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
OJdaKiller said:

There was.

706811.jpg

It didn't last long

TheYanger

None at all, you mean ;)

From the sounds of things after a week with the patch:
In general, horde areas were more improved than Alliance, horde areas were way worse before though.

For Alliance it sounds like the human or night elf groups of zones are the places to go, both are fairly changed. For horde I highly recommend the undead zones if you can do them, northern barrens is pretty lame still but the rest of the orc/troll/tauren stuff is good now too.

Zones to avoid: Hinterlands, Arathi highlands, Silithus (of course). I've heard Feralas as well, and Desolace is much improved but still not as good as the other zones in the region.

Would just hate to see someone come back and still hit all the less cool zones and be disappointed :) Highlight of new storylines for me is probably Garrosh calling Sylvanas a bitch with full VA. good times.

JWong

Banned
Well, Area 52 is completely unbalanced, and Stormscale is Alliance...

I guess I'll just stick with my usual shitty server.

It really bugs me that after implementing these things in old world content, they didn't go and add:

-Flight path markers to the Outland/Northrend maps
-Quest givers at the entrances of lvl 60-80 dungeons

finished my run through Thousand Needles, was pretty damn epic. I loved having a boat. One thing I didn't really get was the fact that I was helping out the elder crone of the grimtotems. Why would I help a group that killed Cairne?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
The Lamonster said:
It really bugs me that after implementing these things in old world content, they didn't go and add:

-Flight path markers to the Outland/Northrend maps
-Quest givers at the entrances of lvl 60-80 dungeons

Well, in their defense, there's only so much time in the day. I'm sure they'll get to 60-80 content someday.

nyong

Banned
What the heck did they do to Deadmines? I'm not necessarily complaining, but I'll be damned if it isn't like 1/3rd of its original length. I do miss some of the old fights, though. The new dungeon-finder settings are a stroke of genius, by the way. No more sitting outside the instance waiting for enough people to show up. I don't have to wait until I outlevel Horde dungeons as Alliance for lack of willing participants. Pretty frickin sweet.

Xiaoki

funkmastergeneral said:
Cataclysm heroics are harder than WotLK but not nearly on the same level as TBC.

Cataclysm heroics are for the most part designed for level 83 blue gear(ilevel 333) and when you run them with level 83 blues most will be quite hard. Without proper planning and crowd control trash pulls will destroy you.

However, once you start getting heroic blues and epics from crafting and reputations you can use little to no CC. Some packs/mobs will still give you problems if not properly handled.

Then once you're raiding and in full epics heroics are nothing. You no longer need CC and nearly all trash pulls can be AoEed down. Stonecore can still be a headache though.

Owensboro

Just finished the new Redridge last night.... and the last few quests in that zone are awesome. I love the Rambo / A-Team references right up until the end. So far the second to last quest has been my favorite in the game.

In the other thread we're discussing the zones with the most and coolest changes. Anyone here have any suggestions on what are the MUST SEE (and must skip) zones now?

ultron87

My two Recruit a Friends and I are blasting our way through the Night Elf starting zones with the triple XP you get for questing with recruits. It's a little unfortunate since we are really quickly outleveling quests.

I'm going to make a Worgen at some point. That'll be for some lazier "take in the scenery" style questing.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
A lot of the shitty zones still have awesome finales. North and South STV, Ungoro, a few others have awesome quests at the very end.

For complete zone changes, pretty much every 10-20 zone is now awesome.

Xiaoki said:
Cataclysm heroics are harder than WotLK but not nearly on the same level as TBC.

Cataclysm heroics are for the most part designed for level 83 blue gear(ilevel 333) and when you run them with level 83 blues most will be quite hard. Without proper planning and crowd control trash pulls will destroy you.

However, once you start getting heroic blues and epics from crafting and reputations you can use little to no CC. Some packs/mobs will still give you problems if not properly handled.

Then once you're raiding and in full epics heroics are nothing. You no longer need CC and nearly all trash pulls can be AoEed down. Stonecore can still be a headache though.

Sounds good, provided players aint herded back in them come Tier 12...

thefil

I hopped on a friend's trial account yesterday to try out revamped opening zones.

First of all: The new play-as-you-download is awesome. I was able to jump into the Tauren starting zone within 30 minutes of starting the download (I do not have awesome internet).

A few questions:
Is there any way to disable the incessant hand-holding? The arrows on the map and the popup boxes are a bit much. Then there's the boxes that pop up every 20 seconds with a picture of my current target.
Are most of the revamped quests still kill X foozles/collect X trinkets? From the first few quests it seemed so, and while the context was much more interesting (the encroaching razor thicket warzone) the gameplay was still pretty boring.

I'm not trying to slam the game, I loved it for years, I just didn't play WotLK so I was excited to see what the new, "good" quests were. I was disappointed to jump in and see more of the same.

Evlar

Banned
thefil said:
I hopped on a friend's trial account yesterday to try out revamped opening zones.

First of all: The new play-as-you-download is awesome. I was able to jump into the Tauren starting zone within 30 minutes of starting the download (I do not have awesome internet).

A few questions:
Is there any way to disable the incessant hand-holding? The arrows on the map and the popup boxes are a bit much. Then there's the boxes that pop up every 20 seconds with a picture of my current target.
Are most of the revamped quests still kill X foozles/collect X trinkets? From the first few quests it seemed so, and while the context was much more interesting (the encroaching razor thicket warzone) the gameplay was still pretty boring.

I'm not trying to slam the game, I loved it for years, I just didn't play WotLK so I was excited to see what the new, "good" quests were. I was disappointed to jump in and see more of the same.
You can turn off the tutorials and the quest tracking from the Interface menu. Don't know if you can turn off the "picture of the target" provided in certain kill quests.

Prodigal

Banned
Have you guys come across many sturdy chests? I think I'm gonna start hunting them on my 70 druid because I can't stand to quest in Northrend anymore. I think they give around 50k exp per chest at that level (+ a BoE blue of course).

JWong

Banned
Cipherr said:
Killing looting returning is a core part of the game, Its not going to go away in this game.
Actually, getting things and giving them to people who need them is just a part of life.

It doesn't even need to be game related, however, it exists in every game. I always frown upon those who think fetch quests are fundamentally broken.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
really enjoyed Ashenvale as horde.. went through Northern Barrens and was like blah......... went to Ashenvale (already turned off by NB) and was happily surprised. Lots of phasing, and the finale to the main storyline was awesome.

Also the zone in general is just much better now. Still the wooded areas, but also more deforested areas opening it up just a tiny bit. Zone was miserable to go through before off the road.. now it's actually not bad.

heading to Stonetalon now.

Prodigal

Banned
borghe said:
really enjoyed Ashenvale as horde.. went through Northern Barrens and was like blah......... went to Ashenvale (already turned off by NB) and was happily surprised. Lots of phasing, and the finale to the main storyline was awesome.

Also the zone in general is just much better now. Still the wooded areas, but also more deforested areas opening it up just a tiny bit. Zone was miserable to go through before off the road.. now it's actually not bad.

heading to Stonetalon now.

If you thought Ashenvale was good, you're in for a treat with Stonetalon

The Lamonster said:
In the other thread we're discussing the zones with the most and coolest changes. Anyone here have any suggestions on what are the MUST SEE (and must skip) zones now?

The undead zones Tirisfal Glades - Silverpine Forest - Hillsbrad Foothills are absolutely must see:

Tirisfal Glades: Most-intriguing new NPC in the game
Silverpine Forest: Awesome storyline, together with Sylvanas.
Hillsbrad Foothills: Funniest quest in the game, most gruesome quest in the game, and a quest that will make you cry.

Eteric Rice

So how do Death Knight tanks fare in Cata? I'm hearing about how Warriors are going to outclass them in every way, but that doesn't seem very fair.

Can someone update me?

JWong

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
So how do Death Knight tanks fare in Cata? I'm hearing about how Warriors are going to outclass them in every way, but that doesn't seem very fair.

Can someone update me?
You know how it goes. If DK tanks suck and Warrior tanks rule, Blizzard adjusts and balances.

Right now, there's no way to tell because no one has gone through end-game content. Maybe a few from beta, but all tank classes will have their own unique uses for different encounters.

I have two quick questions as I've been out of WoW for over a year.

1. I've never played a discipline priest before but when I was playing they were considered (to my belief) only good for PVP. Is this still true as I'm considering starting a goblin discipline priest when cata comes out.

2. I have an 80 fully leveled inscriptionist (bal druid) and also a 70 lock. As I level my lock to 85 and whatever new character I start, does it make sense to make inscriptions (forgot what they are called) for my characters as they level, or wait until they hit 85 and do it then?

Thanks in advance.

Twig

Banned
OJdaKiller said:
I have two quick questions as I've been out of WoW for over a year.

1. I've never played a discipline priest before but when I was playing they were considered (to my belief) only good for PVP. Is this still true as I'm considering starting a goblin discipline priest when cata comes out.

2. I have an 80 fully leveled inscriptionist (bal druid) and also a 70 lock. As I level my lock to 85 and whatever new character I start, does it make sense to make inscriptions (forgot what they are called) for my characters as they level, or wait until they hit 85 and do it then?

Thanks in advance.
Glyphs, if I'm not mistaken, are now permanently learned. At least it seemed that way to me. So, you learn them once, and then you can activate them as you see fit. Haven't really messed with them all that much, yet, as I'm leveling up like four different characters. U:

LowParry

Eteric Rice said:

Can someone update me?

I'd base the assumption more on the player. DK and Warriors tank just fine. I've tanked both classes and I don't really have any issues keeping agro.

nyong

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:
New Deadmines is exactly the same size as the original. In fact, the Heroic version is 1,5 times as long.

Hmm. Maybe people are just geared better? The old guide says the original should take 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. I'm pretty sure we blazed through in under 30.

I'm pretty much in love with PUG dungeons, even though you do get a few bum groups. I just hit 26 and I've done every eligible dungeon except Scarlet M. I might level a heal spec shammie down the road through only PvP, instances, and tradeskills. No zone questing. I love having that option now.

Xiaoki

Eteric Rice said:

Can someone update me?
Not sure where you heard about Warriors outclassing DK tanks. Warrior tanks are the worst at 85 now.

DK tanks were by far the best until they got a flood of nerfs. Right now the top spot belongs to Paladins by a wide margin because of the self healing from Word of Glory(which is funny because self healing is why DKs got super nerfed). But this isnt surprising because Prot Paladins are the clear favorite of Ghostcrawler.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So how has the initial questing been since the patch? I was told if I really wanted to try the game the best would be after the Shattering patch.

Focused, quick and storywise, fairly epic. Quest givers are fairly grouped together and send on you runs that include most of the current quests.

krypt0nian said:
Focused, quick and storywise, fairly epic. Quest givers are fairly grouped together and send on you runs that include most of the current quests.

Nice, so no more of the following the quests and I get to this one mine and the instadeath (unless I grind like crazy), I'll have to give it a try again.

Top Bottom