• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already seen several fights between people about talking out of character in general chat. the OOC chat was created to avoid this but as it turns out, some people want to use general the same way as a regular sever.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Cerebral Palsy said:
I'm on Deathwing. Couple of my wussy friends are on Icecrown though.

Anyway, about halfway through level 14 now. Going to take a nap.

:lol It's not about wussiness! It's about avoiding frustration ;) I'm all over PvP when battlegrounds hit.

Name on the Icecrown server is Knai, btw. :)

So I take it the "official" GA server is a central PvP one? And as one of the Horde? Aw well I'm going allaince(Night Elf Hunter), and probally the same server. when I get the game that is

mint

Banned
Well, the loot lag is more apparent. I'll use the opportunity to exercise and buy some lunch :p

All the Horde unite! Once we meet up at xroads :)

Meier

Think I am gonna play on Cenarius with my best friend from back at home who I played EQ and DragonRealms with before. If I can get my name from EQ (Meier), then I'll be a Dwarf again.. otherwise I dunno. Might make a female Human or Night Elf.

SyNapSe

IJoel said:
Is there an official GAF server? Do I have to read all pages of this thread? :p

A lot of people are going to different servers to be with friends, so there really isn't an official GAF server. It seems like Mal'Ganis is becoming the closest thing to a GAF server. Even then a lot of people are going to be split amongst the two factions.

Belfast

Mal'Ganis is fucking packed. I don't know if it would be wise to get on there. :\

Waiting in a queue just to log in? Ehhh...

Belfast said:
Mal'Ganis is fucking packed. I don't know if it would be wise to get on there. :\

I'm in a queue for Argent Dawn at the moment. This is really not something Blizzard should be doing. It was fine in beta, but people are now paying them a very nice $15 a month.

Jupiter

Belfast said:

Yeah wth? I've been waiting for over 40 mins. to get in.

nataku

Relax guys.

The newbie areas are PACKED right now. They won't be having queues when people start to move out to different areas. It's either wait for queues, or have lag so bad you'll be stuck looting things for 5 minutes.

They're using the queues on the packed servers to make people move to the less populated servers, too.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Sal Paradise Jr said:
I'm in a queue for Argent Dawn at the moment. This is really not something Blizzard should be doing. It was fine in beta, but people are now paying them a very nice $15 a month.

Are you Horde or Alliance on Argent Dawn?

firex

mint said:
Just a question, once you log in, will they ever kick you out in case of inactivity?
nope! At least not from what I experienced in the beta, even after they added this queue system.

I haven't gotten the game yet. I would pick it up but I have finals in a couple weeks and I really need to prepare for those.

AeroGod

mint said:
Just a question, once you log in, will they ever kick you out in case of inactivity?

Yes. My bro went afk to eat for about 20 minutes and when he came back he was at the menu.

Waiting 28 minutes to get on. FUCKING SUCKS> Unnaccebtable BLIZZARD! :p

IJoel

Why in the heavens is Blizzard using Bittorrent to deliver their patches?

This is simply unacceptable. I thought this was only the case for beta/open testing but I am paying for this product now. I sure as hell don't want people leeching off my bandwidth.

I wouldn't have bought the game had I known about this.

Zaptruder

Banned
Haha.

If that's the way you feel then I'm sure people actually playing WoW will be glad to rid of a person that can think so moronically :p

IJoel

Zaptruder said:
Haha.

If that's the way you feel then I'm sure people actually playing WoW will be glad to rid of a person that can think so moronically :p

Yeah, because bandwidth limits don't affect people.

How about thinking about others before replying nonsense and insulting comments.

In any case, this is the first MMORPG to do this.

AeroGod, I'm on Bleeding Hollow, as well. I'm an Orc Shaman named Skoron.

Getting some food now, but I'll be back on at 10:15 or so.

Mjunter

Oh well..at least blizzard is doing this to try and even out the population. They really should have anticipated this especially after they let the server names leak and the fact that most of the players didn't keep secret what they were planning as far as what servers they were gonna get on.

Since there is no Gaf guild I'll be trying to get on Archimonde like originally planned. Its gonna be hell waiting but I can catch up on GTA:SA to pass the time.

Zaptruder

Banned
IJoel said:
Yeah, because bandwidth limits don't affect people.

How about thinking about others before replying nonsense and insulting comments.

In any case, this is the first MMORPG to do this.

Seriously, what's X amount of upload every once in a while for a sweet game?

I mean, you're AOK with bittorrent it would seem. But now it involves the concept of pay, you demand to leech completely of Blizzard servers.

As if on principle your money should be more than enough to compensate Blizzard for a poorer business practice.

But the real point is how minor having to upload is, compared to what the game offers... and you say it like it's a deal breaker. That's pretty moronic to me. It should be to you too.

IJoel

Zaptruder said:
Seriously, what's X amount of upload every once in a while for a sweet game?

I mean, you're AOK with bittorrent it would seem. But now it involves the concept of pay, you demand to leech completely of Blizzard servers.

As if on principle your money should be more than enough to compensate Blizzard for a poorer business practice.

But the real point is how minor having to upload is, compared to what the game offers... and you say it like it's a deal breaker. That's pretty moronic to me. It should be to you too.

Have you played MMORPGs before? Some of the patches are quite big and can take a long time to download. During that time, and since you have no control over the bittorrent upload (thanks to Blizzard for that as well,) I would be uploading at max speed. This could be significant..

On principle, Blizzard is THE FIRST DEVELOPER to use bittorrent as a means to deliver patches/content for their MMORPG. No other MMORPG developer does this. They directly send you the patches. Do you realize what do people pay monthly for? Server fees that include downloadable patches/content. Well, at least that's what you pay for all MMORPGs except this one.

I could understand a small publisher/developer doing this, but this is Blizzard we're talking about. WoW will most likely be the highest selling MMORPG in the industry. They will generate tons of revenue and profit on this as well. If they can't support a direct download method, they're simply being greedy.

nataku

IJoel said:
Why in the heavens is Blizzard using Bittorrent to deliver their patches?

This is simply unacceptable. I thought this was only the case for beta/open testing but I am paying for this product now. I sure as hell don't want people leeching off my bandwidth.

I wouldn't have bought the game had I known about this.

You can disable the peer-to-peer so people can't leech off you. Your download will be a little slower but... the option is there. :p

IJoel

nataku said:
You can disable the peer-to-peer so people can't leech off you. Your download will be a little slower but... the option is there. :p

Hmm... didn't see it. Well, it does help at least.

nataku

The queue estimated time in line is so messed up. Went from 699th in line, 32 mins left to 583rd in line, 94 minutes left. :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
So... your beef against WoW is in terms of Blizzard's business practices?

Well if you want to be consistent...

do you buy EA games? Or completely reject them on the principle that they willfully and quite often maliciously exploit not only their workers... but the buying public as well?

IMO, Blizzard is one of the better companies in this respect, providing a good ear to their customers and just putting in the time and effort to develop a class product, instead of churning it out @ 90% and leaving the customer with a product with market sheen, but just short of classic status.

And yes, I've played an MMORPG before, and I've also had little problem downloading large patches of several hundred megabytes.

Infact... I can't quite fathom why upload really matters to you that much, that you'd be willing to pass up the game that you obviously like, because it takes away from you some 1-2 hours every month (or however infrequent patches can be).
Hell, if you're a typical internet user, download bandwidth is much more important... and regardless of what happens, the patch will be sucking your bandwidth downloading itself, rendering you less able to browse the internet while downloading.

But you can even disable peer-to-peer if you so choose. Which I guess solves your primary concern with the game.

SyNapSe

nataku said:
The queue estimated time in line is so messed up. Went from 699th in line, 32 mins left to 583rd in line, 94 minutes left. :lol

The time to wait just seems to be based on how many people out of the total have left in the last X amount of time. At one point I was at 8 minutes with 171 people left... then it went 3 minutes and only one person left. I was at 34 minutes with 170 people before me.

Anyway, these queue's are a bit ridiculous. It seems they didn't anticipate so many people picking Central. Maybe they just set up servers based on population in the area's. I first started and it SUGGESTED i take Mal'Ganis.. I was like well that's great, it must be the least populated. It still took me 40ish minutes to get in

IJoel

Zaptruder said:
So... your beef against WoW is in terms of Blizzard's business practices?

Well if you want to be consistent...

do you buy EA games? Or completely reject them on the principle that they willfully and quite often maliciously exploit not only their workers... but the buying public as well?

Ugh... Do I really have to repeat myself? Blizzard is the only company doing this. I don't care for their internal practices or anything else. The fact is that while all the other mmorpg publishers simply provide their subscribers with a direct high speed connection to the patches/content, Blizzard isn't.

The EA example just doesn't even come into play here. I buy games for what the product provides, and for a MMORPG, updates/patches/content and their delivery, obviously, IS part of the product.

Zaptruder

Banned
IJoel said:
Ugh... Do I really have to repeat myself. Blizzard is the only company doing this. I don't care for their internal practices or anything else. The fact is that while all the other mmorpg publishers simply provide their subscribers with a direct high speed connection to the patches/content, Blizzard isn't.

The EA example just doesn't even come into play here. I buy games for what the product provides, and for a MMORPG, updates/patches/content and their delivery, obviously, IS part of the product.

You might not care for the internal practices or whatever... but at the least you should have consistency in your thinking.

Why does it bother you that much you have to share bandwidth with people?

OK, so you have to share bandwidth... that's a slight disadvantage to you. But what could you possibly be doing with that UPLOADING bandwidth in the time it takes you to download a patch?

Is it honestly that much of a swing factor that you would not bother with the game at all if you hadn't already bought it?

I mean if you say yes, then that's fine. Personally I think it's the least legitimate reason of any to pass a game over (such as quality, price point, gameplay, etc, etc).

But ignoring that...

the crux of your argument is that either you're been somewhat disadvantaged by having to share your bandwidth...

or that you reject Blizzard's business practice of been a greedy capitalistic pig, taking advantage of their customers by using their bandwidth.

But I asked you... aren't you somewhat disadvantaged when the developer releases a poorer product than what could be feasibly possible (poorer due to poor business practice)?

And don't you find the business practice of pushing out product at the expense of the consumer and the developer just as abhorrent?

Basically, you're little cry baby reaction "OH TEH NOES THEY TAKES MYBANDWITHD!!!!" pisses me off.

IJoel

Zaptruder said:
You might not care for the internal practices or whatever... but at the least you should have consistency in your thinking.

Why does it bother you that much you have to share bandwidth with people?

OK, so you have to share bandwidth... that's a slight disadvantage to you. But what could you possibly be doing with that UPLOADING bandwidth in the time it takes you to download a patch?

Is it honestly that much of a swing factor that you would not bother with the game at all if you hadn't already bought it?

I mean if you say yes, then that's fine. Personally I think it's the least legitimate reason of any to pass a game over (such as quality, price point, gameplay, etc, etc).

But ignoring that...

the crux of your argument is that either you're been somewhat disadvantaged by having to share your bandwidth...

or that you reject Blizzard's business practice of been a greedy capitalistic pig, taking advantage of their customers by using their bandwidth.

But I asked you... aren't you somewhat disadvantaged when the developer releases a poorer product than what could be feasibly possible (poorer due to poor business practice)?

And don't you find the business practice of pushing out product at the expense of the consumer and the developer just as abhorrent?

Basically, you're little cry baby reaction "OH TEH NOES THEY TAKES MYBANDWITHD!!!!" pisses me off.

Do you understand the internet provider bandwidth CAP concept? The one where you are bound to certain upload and download cap? The one I wouldn't have any issues (and now I don't if I don't have to upload) with if I had a direct download?

nataku

Hmm seems Mal'Ganis just crashed or something.. suddenly booted to character select screen and am unable to log back in because the world is down.

EDIT: Ugh get back in and then I get an error that crashes WoW completely. Back to the queue. :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
IJoel said:
Do you understand the internet provider bandwidth CAP concept? The one where you are bound to certain upload and download cap? The one I wouldn't have any issues (and now I don't if I don't have to upload) with if I had a direct download?

Your ISP has an upload cap? :( man that sucks.

Where u from? I've got a download cap from my ISP.... but no upload (but it's slow).

if your ISP is anything like me, your upload amount is unlikely to affect your download cap.

IJoel

Zaptruder said:
Your ISP has an upload cap? :( man that sucks.

Where u from? I've got a download cap from my ISP.... but no upload (but it's slow).

if your ISP is anything like me, your upload amount is unlikely to affect your download cap.

That is surprising. Most caps are more restrictive on the upload than on the download.

Anyway, it wasn't a big deal for this launch as the update was relatively small, but since some updates from the beta ranged in the hundreds of MBs and many times my upload would go over the download, it was a concern.

I am mostly disappointed they chose this way to distribute content. Out of all developers, the one I considered the least likely to provide a less than great support was Blizzard. After all this first day complaints with the server queues, I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

I had a chance to play with the game for an hour or so. Excellent so far, barring the server lag (sometimes for more than 5 minutes.)

Realm: Mountain
Server: Kel thuzad
Side: Alliance
Race: Night Elves
Name: Kareth
Class: Hunter

Dracor

Hmm, they seem to be adding more servers, 6 in the Mountain Time zone now from 4 when I logged in earlier. Looks like another RP server in PT too which is nice.

firex

they said that not all servers would be ready at launch which is why they didn't want to release a server list. looks like that may have actually been true.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm on Doombringer (I think the name is?) on Mountain. Human Warrior. lvl 8 currently, questing it up. Pretty fun game, but it did lag to sweet hell about 10-15 minutes ago. I couldn't even log out. Oof. Anyways, it's pretty decent thus far. Battles/downtime on a good clip. PLenty of quests out there and tons of weapons. Currently learning Fist Aid and Blacksmithing. Tried to find the Miner Trainer guy, but lag got horrid.

Eh, I got a free month so I figured, what the hell. If I turn up not liking this, I'm pretty much done with MMORPGs forever =P

IJoel

firex said:
they said that not all servers would be ready at launch which is why they didn't want to release a server list. looks like that may have actually been true.

They just wanted to be able to distribute the load among the servers. They artificially capped pretty much all the servers and put the queue system for those that NEED to be in that server, while pushing all others to go for other servers.

It is a solution to their problem, though I just dislike being told where to play and who to play with. For a game that relies so heavily on community, a detail like this makes a world of difference.

IJoel said:
Realm: Mountain
Server: Kel thuzad
Side: Alliance
Race: Night Elves
Name: Kareth
Class: Hunter

You should have played on Deathwing.

Bah, servers just farted. 2 minute lag hit on looting and resses. Then I got kicked, and now my character list won't load. =/ Been smooth as butter up to this point for me.

IJoel

Cerebral Palsy said:
You should have played on Deathwing.

Bah, servers just farted. 2 minute lag hit on looting and resses. Then I got kicked, and now my character list won't load. =/ Been smooth as butter up to this point for me.

Argh... GAF is all splintered. I blame Blizzard's queue shenanigans!

I created a character on Mal'ganis (sp?) earlier.

Zaptruder

Banned
IJoel said:
I am mostly disappointed they chose this way to distribute content. Out of all developers, the one I considered the least likely to provide a less than great support was Blizzard. After all this first day complaints with the server queues, I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

Well, they've given you the option to block uploads, so it's actually pretty decent of them... offering customers the choice between high download speeds and upload or moderate download speeds and no upload.

And the current method of server distribution may seem draconian... but is far better than the system instituted in FFXI and will be for the best in the long term (i.e. after the first couple weeks or maybe month). It's good that they can take the long term interests of their customers into account as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom