• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World to the West comes May 5th on PS4/XB1/PC, launch trailer released

killercow

Set in the Teslagrad universe, coming May 5th on PS4/X1/PC digitally and physically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwMCoZSjeJg

H2x1_WiiUDS_WorldToTheWest.jpg
Wii-U version still coming but digital only.

More on the game:

Discover a world of corrupt colonies and forgotten civilizations. Play as four characters—Lumina the Teslamancer, Knaus the orphan, Miss Teri the mind bender and the gloriously mustachioed strongman, Lord Clonington—as you explore untamed jungles, frozen tundras and the mysteries of an ancient prophecy.

Be careful though. Nothing is ever what it seems. Will you join us in this journey to the West?

- Play as four heroes, each hailing from individual nations and possessing unique identities and abilities.
- Explore a vibrant world filled with characters who have their own helpful and not-so-helpful agendas.
- Experience seamless transitions between combat and puzzle solving that keep you on your toes.
- Face your enemies head-on with brute force, convince them to see things your way or avoid them altogether. It's your call!
- Uncover secrets, more secrets and secrets inside secrets. Exploration is key to unveiling World to the West's mysteries.
- Set in the Teslagrad universe, encounter both new and familiar faces.

maxcriden

Ah man, this game still looks awesome. Thanks for posting this! I hope it makes it to Switch also. If not I'll plan to get it for Wii U or XB1.

There's some good interviews and such linked here, under the press release - I don't remember which one I read, but I remember I read one of them and it made me even more eager to play the game!

Edit: BTW, per the PR at my above link it appears the game is also hitting Wii U (digitally) day one.

I kind of spaced on the fact it's getting a physical release, I really like games like this (or another example, Little Nightmares) are getting physically releases again.

wouwie

I recently wondered what had happened with this game. I enjoyed Teslagrad a lot so hopefully this will be equally good.

wouwie

I was just reminded that this is coming out in a few days. I hope it turns out to be a great game. I'm looking forward to reviews.

wouwie

So anyone playing this? Reviews seem quite solid although there aren't that many out yet. I wonder how much of the game revolves around puzzles and how much around combat (which seems to be the least fun aspect of the game). I'm quite tempted to buy this but in cases like this, i wish there were still demos to try before buy.

Sonicbug

I've sunk.... five/six hours or so into it.

It's heavy on the light puzzle solving, which consists mostly of figuring out which character skill you need to use to get to the next area. Combat is entirely secondary and there are areas where it's likely in your best interest to run past all the grues. The mesmer character has some great, clever and unique abilities.

I just finally got to the point where the entire party is united, chapter 9 I think? And I've probably only covered about 1/4th of the map so I can easily see the game being 20 hours long to get everything. (For me, I tend to take my time.) So the price definitely matches the amount of content.

Much like Teslagrad all of the trophies are attached to finding scrolls which tell the history of the area you're in. Unlike that game there's actually quite a bit of story but nothing overwhelming. I like the characters, they're all pretty great. It's cool that they have this rather built of mythology for their world.

I'm enjoying it a lot. The few boss battles I've hit are pretty good in a classic 'find out the pattern, timing' way and nothing I've encountered so far has been frustrating. The early parts of the game are quite clear about how to progress.

The only thing I wish was better was some in-game glossary/moves list so I can remember the abilities my characters have unlocked. Also the map could be better. I wish unopened treasure chests/scrolls were marked on it once you find them. And the dark areas are very dark.

maxcriden

I've sunk.... five/six hours or so into it.

It's heavy on the light puzzle solving, which consists mostly of figuring out which character skill you need to use to get to the next area. Combat is entirely secondary and there are areas where it's likely in your best interest to run past all the grues. The mesmer character has some great, clever and unique abilities.

I just finally got to the point where the entire party is united, chapter 9 I think? And I've probably only covered about 1/4th of the map so I can easily see the game being 20 hours long to get everything. (For me, I tend to take my time.) So the price definitely matches the amount of content.

Much like Teslagrad all of the trophies are attached to finding scrolls which tell the history of the area you're in. Unlike that game there's actually quite a bit of story but nothing overwhelming. I like the characters, they're all pretty great. It's cool that they have this rather built of mythology for their world.

I'm enjoying it a lot. The few boss battles I've hit are pretty good in a classic 'find out the pattern, timing' way and nothing I've encountered so far has been frustrating. The early parts of the game are quite clear about how to progress.

The only thing I wish was better was some in-game glossary/moves list so I can remember the abilities my characters have unlocked. Also the map could be better. I wish unopened treasure chests/scrolls were marked on it once you find them. And the dark areas are very dark.

Thanks for your impressions! How did you find the game to be after this point?

Anyone else pick this up?

BTW, is there a "flash of light" jump move like in Teslagrad? I found that lighting effect too precipitous as someone with chronic migraines so I turned off that game at that point.

Top Bottom