• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War Z is Achieving Sleeper Hit Status with Nearly 2 Million Copies Sold

Bullet Club

World War Z is Achieving Sleeper Hit Status with Nearly 2 Million Copies Sold

World War Z for PC, PS4, and Xbox One is doing quite well just a month after launch as it has sold nearly 2 million copies already.

Even though there may have not been a ton of buzz around the game before launch, World War Z from Saber Interactive and Focus Home Interactive seems to have become 2019’s biggest sleeper hit so far. The pair announced today that the game has already sold nearly 2 million copies across PC, PS4, and Xbox One after one being out for just over a month.

World War Z managed to sell 1 million copies in its first week alone, so its continued success had a solid foundation. Paramount Pictures, owners of the World War Z IP, seem to be very happy with the game’s surprising amount of success. “World War Z has fast become one of our most successful interactive games to date. It’s a testament to both the incredible co-op action experience that Saber Interactive and Focus Home Interactive have crafted, as well as the strong appeal of our hit franchise with fans across the globe,” SVP of Worldwide Licensing and Interactive at Paramount Pictures Josh Austin stated.

To celebrate this occasion, Saber Interactive and Focus Home Interactive released the accolades trailer you see above and reiterated all of the free content coming to World War Z. Throughout the rest of 2019, players will get a new mission based in Tokyo, a new Zombie type, Weekly Challenges, a sixth difficulty setting, more cosmetics, a survival mode, FOV and detail sliders on PC, and private lobbies. Players will also be able to switch classes during PvPvZ matches following an upcoming update, which should make those scenarios more enjoyable.

Source: Dualshockers

Tehvenom

I'm still waiting to get this game due to the fact that it had a game save bug that would wipe your stat. Is that gone now? Havent followed up on that, I like the overall gameplay too.

fun game, been co-op'ing with my friends

it's a bit rough, there's a few things they could easily patch which would clean it up:
-get rid of the debug text when you are playing online from the bottom middle of screen, it's distracting
-picking up items/healing is a bit janky
-no stamina gauge for running

waylo

Banned
I bought this with some friends in the Epic sale. We're all enjoying it quite a bit, minus a few small issues.

FOV slider is the big one. Normal running around isn't awful, but sprinting the camera gets really bad. Thankfully I saw this is in the works. Debug text needs to go as well. Also, in the works. The other big thing we're hoping for is private lobbies. Considering we get people who are like level 150+ but still seem like they've never played a video game in their entire life, most of the time if we have three, we'd just prefer a bot.

pr0cs

Eh as long as its epic exclusive i aint interested
Oh well, we almost made it thru the first page before the egs complaining started.

On topic however I can't help but hope that more developers look at selling bite sized but well developed games for less money. Not that gaming is expensive but I bought in WWZ because it was inexpensive and was pleasantly surprised how good it was

Saber

Gold Member
Gotta say, the last patch didn't do any favors to the game. Most of times, the hordes spawn indefinidelly, while special zombies spams in very fast rates(with bull coming between 2 or even 3 at same time, not sure if its a bug).
I even tried played on easier levels just for fun, but it remains the same. Bots looks more useless than before. I stopped played long ago.

I hope they patch it soon.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I watched my cousin play this the other day. Looked like it would be fun co op. Reminded me of Left 4 Dead.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh well, we almost made it thru the first page before the egs complaining started.

On topic however I can't help but hope that more developers look at selling bite sized but well developed games for less money. Not that gaming is expensive but I bought in WWZ because it was inexpensive and was pleasantly surprised how good it was

They made their game exclusive to a garbage ass platform, what did you expect? Id happily purchase this on any other storefronts.

The game is fun with friends, alone less... I hope for additional content to expand the gaming experience. (other levels in other country for example)

ksdixon

Finally got around to buying this and playing with my girlfriend last night.

Was disappointed there was no local co-op, and thus no option to get PS4 to shareplay it. Thank God my brother round the corner had his own copy on disc that we were able to borrow.

Once on the game we had a blast. Notable for scratching that Left 4 Dead itch for me, if not slightly modernising and improving it. And getting her to actually enjoy a zombie game, which she doesn't usually go for.

Good game but not much variety. Not worth 50$. It's a 20$ game imo.

Wish game had some level modifier to add variety or they could have remix every level by randomly generating enemies each time you replay them. Playing same shit 100 times to level up your class and guns gets super repetitive

Last edited:

Holammer

I must be stuck in some sorta social media bubble, because I don't hear anything about that game.
Nobody I know play it on console or PC either.

cryptoadam

Banned
Gotta say, the last patch didn't do any favors to the game. Most of times, the hordes spawn indefinidelly, while special zombies spams in very fast rates(with bull coming between 2 or even 3 at same time, not sure if its a bug).
I even tried played on easier levels just for fun, but it remains the same. Bots looks more useless than before. I stopped played long ago.

I hope they patch it soon.

i noticed that too, and infected spawning behind you out of nowhere as well.

But it seems there was another patch and its been fixed. I swear hard was like Nightmear mode after the last patch, and now its back to being Hard again.

One thing they should do is allow the player to bank XP if they maxed out that perk. Its annoying playing as a level 4 perk getting crushed all the time. But then if I take my maxed out Fixer to have some fun and beat a level I don't get any XP to progress the other perks. Its one of the annoying things with these games that have so much leveling that eventually you level one character to really good and then your choice is to play as a shitty perk and suck or play as your op perk but not gain any levels.

Saber

Gold Member
i noticed that too, and infected spawning behind you out of nowhere as well.

But it seems there was another patch and its been fixed. I swear hard was like Nightmear mode after the last patch, and now its back to being Hard again.

One thing they should do is allow the player to bank XP if they maxed out that perk. Its annoying playing as a level 4 perk getting crushed all the time. But then if I take my maxed out Fixer to have some fun and beat a level I don't get any XP to progress the other perks. Its one of the annoying things with these games that have so much leveling that eventually you level one character to really good and then your choice is to play as a shitty perk and suck or play as your op perk but not gain any levels.

The new patch fix most of those problems. It seems that the later patch was a mistake.

So yeah, back at playing the game.

Not sure if it's worth maxing the levels of some classes. Unless you're aiming for trophies/cheevus. The leveling in this game seems very redundant, because the number is just there. Once you got back to leveling an another class, your level doesn't matter at all.

cryptoadam

Banned
The new patch fix most of those problems. It seems that the later patch was a mistake.

So yeah, back at playing the game.

Not sure if it's worth maxing the levels of some classes. Unless you're aiming for trophies/cheevus. The leveling in this game seems very redundant, because the number is just there. Once you got back to leveling an another class, your level doesn't matter at all.

I think the had to many classes and to many levels for the game. But once you play on Hard having a low level class is a big handicap since the higher levels gives you things like more grenades (or whatever is there), better damage, starting weapons, etc....

Thats the only reason I would level the classes to get the best end perks. But really in the end I find fixer is one of the most important classes simply because of the masking grenades which are essential to the game IMO.

ksdixon

On the flip side, anyone fancy playing with new players? We are currently playing as 2 players and 2 AI bots.

Ps4 psn id's
ksdixon
Romanbomb69

Kathanan

This game look great.. i really like the style and gameplay... Saber Interactive should get the license for Mercenaries from EA and make a new game with this engine.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If that's a sleeper hit what's Risk of Rain 2 (also a co-op shooter), epic's own steamspy says it has between 2 and 5 million owners and that didn't have a hollywood ip attached nor was it made by a big studio or get hype for being on that other Fortnite platform that pays folks to publish on it instead of Steam, plus it's early access.

Last edited:
If that's a sleeper hit what's Risk of Rain 2 (also a co-op shooter), epic's own steamspy says it has between 2 and 5 million owners and that didn't have a hollywood ip attached nor was it made by a big studio or get hype for being on that other Fortnite platform that pays folks to publish on it instead of Steam, plus it's early access.
ROR is an eraly access randomly generated game made with sohe string budget.
WWZ is an AA game by a known studios Saber Interactive.
Huge difference.

Alexios

ROR is an eraly access randomly generated game made with sohe string budget.
WWZ is an AA game by a known studios Saber Interactive.
Huge difference.
That was my point? By all means WWZ doesn't seem like such a hit in comparison if that "sohe string budget" game manages to sell at worst equal and at best over twice as much as this "AA" game.

Last edited:
That was my point? By all means WWZ doesn't seem like such a hit in comparison if that "sohe string budget" game manages to sell at worst equal and at best over twice as much as this "AA" game.
Typo.
And my point is indies that are successful is are plenty, but the AA market which everyone here and everywhere lamented the death of in the twilight years of the PS3/XB360, making money and being successful is a cause for celebration, more than RNG indie game #3567.

Alexios

Typo.
And my point is indies that are successful is are plenty, but the AA market which everyone here and everywhere lamented the death of in the twilight years of the PS3/XB360, making money and being successful is a cause for celebration, more than RNG indie game #3567.
That makes zero sense, what are you on? The problem with AA is that it doesn't reach AAA so is less appealing, that's a bigger problem for indies, not smaller to think it's magically, nonsensically easier for them to sell. And there are tons of examples of AA games doing well anyway (and of indies failing), how about those Souls?

You're basically saying that any AA developers can solve all their problems by spending even less money on their already cheap compared to AAA games, so that they look even worse or have various other compromises on this or that to match indies and then they'd have far higher chances to sell for... no logical reasons. Lol?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I quit the game for good since that 10 gig update just to fix online mode. Kinda sad that they barelly give any support to solo games. I was still trying to find fun with abusive spam of special zombies, but after the last game I though it reach my limit. Which is sad, used to be a fun game.

That makes zero sense, what are you on about? The problem with AA is that it doesn't reach AAA, clearly that's a bigger problem for actual indies, not a smaller one, to think it's easier for them to sell. And there are tons of examples of AA games doing well, how about them Souls games, lol.
You're original post was complaining that a game hyped by Epic GS with a "Hollywood" license is a sleeper hit despite Steam fanboys cries over it's exclusivity, and you brought up ROR2 as a example of a game that's on Steam making more money (which doesn't make sense since WWZ was sold for 40$ and ROR2 for 20$) and i wrote that an AA game success is a great cause of celebration and that's why the thread was made.

Alexios

Your original post was complaining that a game hyped by Epic GS with a "Hollywood" license is a sleeper hit despite Steam fanboys cries over it's exclusivity, and you brought up ROR2 as a example of a game that's on Steam making more money (which doesn't make sense since WWZ was sold for 40$ and ROR2 for 20$) and i wrote that an AA game success is a great cause of celebration and that's why the thread was made.
That, doesn't really reply to anything I said and shows you have other motives to argue with all that fanboy shit. Why's it so hard for (now apparent) fanboys to have a conversation instead of maintain their gospel and twist reality to match its narrative like how it's magically easier for shoestring budget early access indies to sell well than AA large corporation backed games. Yes it sold for closer to 20 but as you said it was (is) on a shoestring budget. There have also been tons of great offers on EGS by now (never mind Sweeney's incessant babbling about how Steam opt-in sales devalue games in the long run, all the while cooking up his own mandatory sales that led to all sorts of store clusterfucks and offering a ton of games for free as if that works against that trend rather than make it far worse with his own logic) which at times made WWZ even cheaper to purchase than ROR2, must be nice to be forgetful when it's about reinforcing said reality bending narrative. Moving on.

Last edited:

Aion002

I got this free with my GPU and it’s also on Gamepass... and I haven’t played either?

Am I missing out, Gaf?

If you like L4D.... or have friends to play with. The PVE is good.... the PVP on the other hand.... it's kind of a love or hate deal.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Is it similar to L4D?

Kinda. You choose a character, go to episode of your choosing. The difference here is that in L4D you go from start until the very end of episode. Also, the game has a leveling system(which I believe is pretty bad imo), a weapon leveling(worst than leveling) and special zombies(some are copies while others uniques). And like L4D, the game has hordes and points where you have to fight forced hordes for a certain amount of time.
Perks varies from bottom trash to usefull and special zombies respawn are very questionable. I think this game is totally aimed to multiplayer, hence why playing solo sounds very unrewarding and punishing.
The stages are very enjoyable though.

Top Bottom