• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#WorldofWarcraft: Three New Expansions Announced, The "Worldsoul Saga" | Blizzcon 2023

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
"WoW is dying"

WoW:

And this is just on the classic. Retail servers are just as populated. Thats why they can afford to make 3 fucking expansions lmao.

Last edited:

tamago84

asmongold sure makes funny takes and well timed responses with his twitch community i do admit. that cg trailer..i literally had double takes whether it was live action vid before thrall appeared

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Risky u can get perm banned for that.

Thats ok, then Ill have more time to play games instead of shitposting on gaf. I wish I had the time to go back and play WoW classic as well but theres too many singleplayer games to finish, I just cant.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Thats ok, then Ill have more time to play games instead of shitposting on gaf. I wish I had the time to go back and play WoW classic as well but theres too many singleplayer games to finish, I just cant.

Not talking about you, talking about asmongold. If that server crashed big chance he will get the ban hammer on him. They already did this before.

Last edited:

Freeman76

There are not 5 Million people playing on Retail.
Not far off, they have 5.5 million subs with around 870k playing classic.

Doesnt matter anyway, there are people everywhere, world events always populated, dungeon and raid queues are almost instant, I dont see why anyone feels the need to nitpick at the number of subs

ManaByte

Gold Member

Doesnt matter anyway, there are people everywhere, world events always populated, dungeon and raid queues are almost instant, I dont see why anyone feels the need to nitpick at the number of subs
They got a pretty big boost during COVID like most sub services did, but they were smart to cash in on that with Dragonflight. I think Blizzard even knows they fucked up big time with Shadowlands. It's not on the Chromie timelines at all, it was not made the leveling expansion (BfA still is) and when War Within comes out Dragonflight becomes the leveling expansion.

Laieon

I think Blizzard even knows they fucked up big time with Shadowlands.

BFA getting mixed reception (love Boralus though, it's comfy) at best and then Shadowlands certainly didn't help.

Dragonflight is definitely a step up from both though, I've enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
BFA getting mixed reception (love Boralus though, it's comfy) at best and then Shadowlands certainly didn't help.

Dragonflight is definitely a step up from both though, I've enjoyed it a lot.

BFA's problem was it was yet another expansion with the "borrowed power" stuff. The zones and story was good, and the allied races added were AWESOME (I love my Zandalari Druid).

Shadowlands was just pure steaming shit. Boring zones, stupid story.

Laieon

Shadowlands was just pure steaming shit. Boring zones, stupid story.

Aside from Castle Nathria and Denathrius, completely agree. There wasn't any zone I really wanted to spend my time in, and the zones being disconnected from each other (and having to hop back to Oribos, which was bland as hell, to switch between them) made it feel more like Mario 64 than World of Warcraft.

I was really excited for Torghast when it was announced because randomly generated rogue-like esque content sounded awesome, but it being required and nowhere close to what I initially imagined it to be resulted in that being a big disappointment too. Shadowlands is easily the expansion I spent the least amount of time in.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

There are, again, not 5.5 million subs. Sites like MMOstats are wholly inaccurate.

As for why people discuss subs, it is directly correlated to the health of the game. The better an MMO is, the more people would be paying and playing.

Aces High

Every part of the game feels very crowded and alive, though.

I can log into retail at every time of the day and every day of the week and there's always tons of players around.

WoW is Top10 on Twitch for the past 30 days with 37.6m hours viewed.

FF14 for example is #71 with 3.4m hours viewed.

In 2023 WoW is still a killer IP.

I dunno I just can't imagine anyone still playing this game 20 years later. Like obviously there is, it still pulls pretty good numbers, but where are they? I never see anyone talking about it online and really never hear anyone talking about it in real life anymore (when you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a WoW players back at its peak).

China, I assume. Also notice that WoW - just like League of Legends - can be run on potato PCs.

ManaByte

Gold Member
China, I assume. Also notice that WoW - just like League of Legends - can be run on potato PCs.

WoW is no longer in China. Hasn't been in China for nearly a year.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
WoW is no longer in China. Hasn't been in China for nearly a year.

That hasn’t stopped many Chinese players from finding other avenues to connect to and play on live servers.

The servers aren't that packed though. There has been more than enough number crunching by the community and reported on by big names to show that the numbers for DF are pretty abysmal. There are more players playing the classic servers than there are on retail.

We are not even close of the number of players of peak Vanilla (let alone Wrath), so I am not sure where you started playing that this is the "most people online than you have ever seen".

Hardcore Classic is a fun novelty, but it wears off when you are replaying Classic for the 7th character in a row. The difficulty really only appears in the raids. So it is primarily the traditional Classic experience until you reach past Molten Core. Unless you are a new player where you may struggle a bit more.

I would say it is about as social as FFXIV is nowadays, but nowhere near as social as it was back in its heyday. Everything in Classic has been figured out for nearly two decades now so the learning, growth, and building of the knowledge base (and years of theory crafting) have muted the sociability a tad. Still better than Retail by miles though.

The framerate drops not because of players, but due to poor optimization. I run a 4090 and i9 and still get framedrops even during dead hours.

This is how I feel as well, though I primarily play through custom servers these days. I do sub to retail to try the new exapnsions/content, but usually drop it quickly after. Primarily only resubbing if I feel nostalgic and want to slowly walk through the good old days of AQ, Mara, Kara, etc.

The issue of poor optimization is real. I have a 4090 and my fps goes from 120 to 80 in a random and mostly empty DF zone with only 50% of the GPU's power being used, and CPU usage at 40% (32GB RAM, fast NVMe, etc.)

The game's code needs a complete overhaul.

God I wish I could recreate that feeling of playing WOW classic back in the day, a real proper sense of experiencing something new with people, exploring an incredibly detailed and rich world and meeting random people and forming groups, then guilds and doing some actual fucking adventuring.. good times, has there ever been another game like wow that has captured that lightning in a bottle? I can't recall tbh...

Also I see Blizzard's cinematic team are still amongst the best in the business, there where some scenes in that that where incredibly lifelike, wish they'd make another WOW movie tbf

This. This feeling of adventure and mystery and risk and discovery and awe. That's the bar to aim for, and to do it honestly without trying to capture your target market. The developers need to take themselves on that ride, and bring the rest of us with them.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
"WoW is dying"

WoW:

And this is just on the classic. Retail servers are just as populated. Thats why they can afford to make 3 fucking expansions lmao.

This game has and continues to print money. This is why they keep making expansions , classic, updates, hardcore, etc.

There aren’t 5 million people playing WoW? It probably fluctuates between 2-5+ depending on what content is out at the time. I assume each expansion of these new 3 will sell 5-10M a pop if it lives up to the Metzen hype.

Laieon

This. This feeling of adventure and mystery and risk and discovery and awe. That's the bar to aim for, and to do it honestly without trying to capture your target market. The developers need to take themselves on that ride, and bring the rest of us with them.

They're there already, but it's hard to keep that going for those of us who have been playing for years. I've been watching this series on Youtube of a guy playing through WoW for the first time and his experience on Exile's Reach and BFA is essentially the exact same experience I had playing the game for the first time back in 2007 (and like any great new player, he even picks a nelf hunter). There's a moment in part 5 or 6 when he reaches Stormwind for the first time, opens up the map, and realizes just how massive the world is where you can hear genuine excitement that he gets to go explore and discover all of those places for the first time.

I just don't know how you keep that sense of adventure and awe going for those who have already seen everything there is to see. At a certain point WoW is just comfort food and asking for something else is like going to McDonald's and asking for sushi.

Last edited:
They're there already, but it's hard to keep that going for those of us who have been playing for years. I've been watching this series on Youtube of a guy playing through WoW for the first time and his experience on Exile's Reach and BFA is essentially the exact same experience I had playing the game for the first time back in 2007 (and like any great new player, he even picks a nelf hunter). There's a moment in part 5 or 6 when he reaches Stormwind for the first time, opens up the map, and realizes just how massive the world is where you can hear genuine excitement that he gets to go explore and discover all of those places for the first time.

I just don't know how you keep that sense of adventure and awe going for those who have already seen everything there is to see. At a certain point WoW is just comfort food and asking for something else is like going to McDonald's and asking for sushi.

I understand what you're saying, and you're right, but, at some point the amount of new players coming in to have that experience begins to diminish continually over time alongside the existing player base.

And eventually there will come a point where it is a good idea for Blizzard to begin making another modern MMO. And WoW can stay as it is.

Hari Seldon

I am excited for the season of discovery thing, but retail is over for me. I have never cared nor even bothered with the story at all, so there is nothing that moves the needle for me with these expansion announcements. Maybe if they actually succeed in adding a new viable end game path for casuals I will try it, but on a deep discount well after launch.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am excited for the season of discovery thing, but retail is over for me. I have never cared nor even bothered with the story at all, so there is nothing that moves the needle for me with these expansion announcements. Maybe if they actually succeed in adding a new viable end game path for casuals I will try it, but on a deep discount well after launch.

They have added "Viable end game paths" via Mythic+ and the vault. Personally I despise these concepts. I believe that the best gear should only come from doing the hardest content, the raids. Its OK to not get the best gear if you can't do the hardest content.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Moonkin customization in the Emerald Dream patch is awesome.
BNl6Fd2.jpg

sedg87

Banned
I resubbed a few days. I last played when Dragonflight launched and thought it was a really strong start to an expansion.

Varteras

Gold Member
God damn. That campaign brickwall had my asshole sticking out of my forehead. Did not see it coming that fast. Now I gotta wait for Chapter 5.

Interfectum

So I boosted a Hunter to 70 and going through the Dragonflight expansion now... Can I just stick with the main campaign and see the story play out? It's the new map icon with the Shield and ! on it, correct? (I haven't played WoW since Pandas.)

Any other tips for someone coming back?

Last edited:
Top Bottom