• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's largest video game collection at online auction, reserve not yet met

Salamande

Well, now it's "notevenarealbid" so...

What even happens when someone who was faking a bid wins? Are they just not required to pay and nobody gets anything?

Looks like the fake bid got removed; palmertech's back in the lead.

I imagine with an auction this pricey, the bids get personally vetted as much as possible. If it really is Palmer, he's probably in contact with the seller somehow. And if a fake somehow wins, it would likely just go to the last real bidder.

rezn0r

This guy is awesome. Arsenal jersey, shit ton of Sega games, last game he bought full price was Shenmue.

Maybe the family issues he is having to fund have to deal with a long lost relative avenging the death of his father and theft of a priceless mirror? Maybe?

At one point, my collection (which is much smaller now since I sold off most of my DC collection) included over 500 unique titles and 26 consoles. I was a handful away from a complete Master System collection twice!! Curse ye, desperate teenage years and the desires of a foolish man's heart! (sold 75 SMS games on eBay once for 150 dollars for mother effing prom of all things!)

i think we'd be great friends... i'm about 10 games away from a complete US SMS collection, pretty close with their other systems aside from Genesis, and my friends and fiance are long since sick of me talking about Sega every chance i get

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
i think we'd be great friends... i'm about 10 games away from a complete US SMS collection, pretty close with their other systems aside from Genesis, and my friends and fiance are long since sick of me talking about Sega every chance i get

Godspeed! I have long since stopped collecting with age and responsibility, but with my new - found job security and minor wealth, i figure it won't be too long before I hit the collecting train again.

cantona222

I went to through the list. He seems to go for quantity & not quality. He aims to get all the sub $10 games for each console. I do not see rare games here. Also only 233 snes games out of 700+

I never understood people who collected games instead of playing them.

simple answer from experience..
I like videogames... i have no time to play them due to work and life...
I still enjoy collecting, and given that I earn more than enough to support many hobbies, I buy what i feel like buying..
I try to finish one game per month, and I actually manage to reach this target, but comes without saying that when buying 9-10 games per month (between old games and new releases) my backlog will potentially never be empty.. maybe when i stop working :)

Who are these two people having a bidding war to $750k?

like... wtf...

I expect troller..
or new guys that have cash and want to bruteforce their way in the collector world :)
but hey, if he actually manage to sell his collection for that much, kudos :p

In all seriousness, is it worth 750k? I really question the worth at this point.
From a game perspective the average is now $70. I don't think the collection is made up of games of that value.

But from a this would take me 10 years as a full time job perspective...yeah still too high.

Given how one of the bidders decided to bring it from 100k to 500k by himself I wonder if it is shill bidding but the intent is not to win but give it to the highest paying non-shill bidder by preventing any higher bids from happening.

krae_man

Winning bidder has zero feedback. They are totally paying!

Edit: people with actual feedback capped off at 90k or so. Everyone else was bid trolls it seems.

peeps_10091970 and catch123 bid it all the way up from 100k-750k

Kazerei

Banned
Winning bid was a lot higher than I expected. Comes out to an average of ~$68 per game, and there's probably only a handful of games that are above that value.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The fake bidders will come back. You can't sell stuff like this on auction sites.

I'm pretty sure eBay has measures in place where you can restrict who bids/buys an item. I sell all lot of stuff on there and I've put those restrictions in place myself.

You can set it so someone with no feedback can't bid or buy. I know this wasn't eBay but I'm jut saying.

Top Bottom