• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I grew up with the cartoon, and I've always seen Arnold Vosloo or Billy Zane as Lex. Both are probably much too old now.

MV5BMTY5NTI3NTA1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzA0NTIz._V1_UY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Billy-Zane.jpg

Azzanadra

0e4050ad7a1d315fcb516336e5cd983d.jpg

Not only does she act/look NOTHING like her book counterpart, but for the role she does try to play, it is not even done well.

SYNTAX182

Jack Reacher.

Massive fan of the Lee Childs books and was excited to hear they were making a movie.

Jack Reacher is described in the novels as a mountain of a man.

Here is a quick description from Wikipedia

And who do they get to play him?

5671413b8223ff65bdeca0bf19c8679d1dbbef04cb402072ff3512829ace3b21.jpg

Tom Cruise. A guy famous for being short.

Same way I felt about Jackman as Wolvie and Marsden as Cyclops. I really liked their interactions in the 90's cartoon and I felt the xmen movies missed out on that. Jackman is great but I couldn't get over the height thing and cyclops to me felt like he should be really tall and almost modelesque. Why wolverine be jealous of a shorter good looking guy when he himself is quite handsome and tall. So when they were on screen together it just didn't have the effect to me as the 90's cartoon. I felt like the director didn't really get what made each character interesting and the interactions between them.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah, this choice was really, REALLY bad. They should have had at a look at Admiral Tarkins (Peter Cushing) perfomance (and looks) in IV, THAT's how the most important Military Leader of an evil empire has to look like.

I don't mean this to be offensive to you personally, but I'm a bit flabbergasted by the amount of people that seem to miss the characterization of Hux and Ren. They're the antithesis of Tarkin and Vader. Tarkin was ice cold and experienced, but overconfident. Hux is young, brash, and emotional, but shrewd about limitations. Vader was composed and powerful, Kylo is brash and a wannabe (for now).

Vader obeyed Tarkin, likely due to respect (and Tarkin understood Vader's power). Ren and Hux clash repeatedly.

Hux is supposed to be space Hitler. He's not composed or stoic, he's all bluster, and little actual experience.

Like Kylo, he peacocks because he aspires to be a great military leader, and he isn't, really, despite his position.

Kylo is supposed to look doofy and trying to hard without his mask because he's a wannabe Sith until later, using the mask for intimidation in a pale attempt to be Vader. He's desperate to be evil. This clashes
with his elements of genuine goodness that he fights against by killing Han. It's implied that his Evil is a result of conditioning and manipulation to some degree because he's constantly fighting it. His goodness shines through is subtle ways, like when he offers to teach Rey the force, a sort of twisted compassionate act that Vader would never do

They're not supposed to be carbon copies. That's the point.

Both actors were great.

Mr_Moogle

As a Canadian, her accent sounded pretty southern to me. Not the exaggerated drawl of the 90s animated series, but definitely someone from a warmer climate.

Yeah all I know is that her accent was different from the one in the cartoon. I didn't realise the one in the cartoon was exaggerated though so it makes perfect sense.

NateDrake

This.

I mean, Venom is almost always portrayed as a brick shit-house:

latest

latest

latest

Topher Grace is probably the last person imaginable who would have fit this character. And the parts where he was supposed to sound crazy/insane just came off as whiny.
I always wondered if Thomas Haden Church would have done Brock/Venom justice. But he was probably too old.

Topher Grace was perfectly fine as Venom because he fit the idea that Eddie Brock/Venom was a darker version of Spiderman, of similar natural talents and ambition but without moral scruples and a drive to do good, which is what allowed Peter to resist the Symbiote while it completely consumed Brock. That was, in large part, the point of Spiderman 3 - that Peter was not perfect, and could be coaxed into a darker place while riding high on his own arrogance, but that he was capable of returning to his own fundamental goodness.

Schlorgan

Didn't he die before the movie came out?
Genisys came out in 2015, Yelchin died early last year.

Topher Grace was perfectly fine as Venom because he fit the idea that Eddie Brock/Venom was a darker version of Spiderman, of similar natural talents and ambition but without moral scruples and a drive to do good, which is what allowed Peter to resist the Symbiote while it completely consumed Brock. That was, in large part, the point of Spiderman 3 - that Peter was not perfect, and could be coaxed into a darker place while riding high on his own arrogance, but that he was capable of returning to his own fundamental goodness.
Spider-Man 3 makes way more sense if you look at it as a movie about drug addiction; I realized that after rewatching it having dealt with drug addiction.

Skux

Tilda Swinton's performance was by far the best thing about Doctor Strange by a thousand country miles...so it's really hard for me to share this opinion.

She was great and I enjoyed the film, but all the diversity stuff about wanting to avoid Fu Manchu stereotypes is undercut by the fact that Marvel wouldn't be able to sell the film in China with a Tibetan character.

The Argus

How many real MI6 agents are as attractive as any of the Bond actors? Hollywood frequently casts actors and actresses better looking than their real-life counterparts.

Not sure about MI6, but FBI/CIA agents are generally pretty attractive compared to local law agencies. Hell, the Fort Lauderdale FBI agent on the news yesterday was suave as fuck.

Budi

J84hZK04_6k.jpg

Commander-in-chief C.G.E Mannerheim on the left, actor Telley Savalas Otieno on the right. Doesn't look like the part at all, Mannerheim wasn't bald!

I don't really care, was just reminded by this when other poster in the thread mentioned asian parts recasted with caucasian actors. The salt here in Finland about this was frigging hilarious.

Yeah, this choice was really, REALLY bad. They should have had at a look at Admiral Tarkins (Peter Cushing) perfomance (and looks) in IV, THAT's how the most important Military Leader of an evil empire has to look like.

I know, right? Look at this composed fella right here:

hitler.gif

I know, right? Look at this composed fella right here:

hitler.gif

I am well aware he was the "GröFaZ", but if we look at real life examples of actual evil military leaders with a military rank, this one comes to mind:
Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-13805,_Hermann_G%C3%B6ring.jpg

My point is, Gleeson was what, 32 years old when they filmed the movie? He looks like he's old enough to be a Captain, or a Major in best case scenario. I am well aware that Star Wars isn't about "realism", but it just destroys the immersion.

I am well aware he was the "GröFaZ", but if we look at real life examples of actual evil military leaders with a military rank, this one comes to mind:
Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-13805,_Hermann_G%C3%B6ring.jpg

My point is, Gleeson was what, 32 years old when they filmed the movie? He looks like he's old enough to be a Captain, or a Major in best case scenario. I am well aware that Star Wars isn't about "realism", but it just destroys the immersion.

Michael Pennington was 40 when he played Moff Jerjerrod (I don't think an age is given in-universe). While this is indeed older than Domhnall's 32 I don't think I don't really think it's that huge of a difference, especially given Jerjerrod is one of the top 20 officials in a galactic government as opposed to being the leader of essentially a group of fanatic neo-Nazis. The guy who played Captain Piett was 43 when the character was promoted to Admiral in Empire Strikes Back.

Irl, James M Gavin commanded the US 82nd Airborne Division in WW2 aged 37, while the splendidly named Galusha Pennypacker was a Union brigadier general in the US civil war, aged 20. Young generals do exist.

e:

Story-wise, it leads to a different dynamic than the OT. The Rebellion versus the Empire was very much a story of young idealists versus the old men who represented "the system," and that was kind of reflective of the spirit of the times. The Force Awakens, though, pits the next generation of young idealists against their peers, rather than past generations.

bosseye

Tom Cruise as Reacher. Such a cynical bit of mass market casting. Reacher is described as a big guy, 6ft 5, 250lbs.....Tom Cruise.

UrbanRats

BUT IT'S NOT LIKE THE COMIC!

Monocle

Z16ATGi.jpg

This guy as Moriarty in Sherlock. He's awful.
I thought he was utterly terrible until Season 2, where I had the strangest reversal of opinion and he suddenly started working for me.

I really, really hated him at first. I'm sure I must have ranted about his performance somewhere online. Totally loathed him—until I didn't.

What kills me is the behind the scenes doc shows a much better child actor who almost got the part. It's so painful to watch George go for the obviously worse casting choice.

No.

There is another.

january-jones-emma-frost-x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg
Oh yeah, she was distinctly awful. I remember noticing in the theater. How the hell did she make it past the audition? So wooden.

Yeah he was garbage. He's a decent actor in some things but his take on the Joker was totally wrong. Just an embarrassing hodgepodge of edgy signifiers with no substance at all.

Look! I'm growling like a big cat. Look! I'm getting all up in your personal space. Look! I'm acting crrrrrrazy.

Did you notice my sick abs and totally wicked tats? I'm gonna hurt you! *flashes grill*

Surfinn

Bullshit. Ewan McGregor made it work and Natlie Portman is actually pretty good in the films delivering that clunky dialogue. Hayden is just not a very good actor.

My Picks:

-Ever DCCU character besides Batfleck and Will Smith Deadshot.

-Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux.

-Marky Mark as Max Payne

-Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre

-Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique

jennifer-lawrence-as-mystique-in-x-men.jpg

-Forrest Whittaker as Saw Guerra, he didn't have much screen time but when he did it was HAM city.

saw-guerras-hairstyle-change-1471031680.jpg

I thought Gleeson did a great job. However the writing and direction in his speech (right before the firing of Starkiller) should have been WAY different. Ridiculously over the top.

Jedi2016

I thought Gleeson did a great job. However the writing and direction in his speech (right before the firing of Starkiller) should have been WAY different. Ridiculously over the top.
I don't have any problems with his performance, but he's a general.. second only to Snoke in command of the entire First Order. Basically Tarkin's position from ANH. They should have gotten somebody who looks a little older than 23.

Surfinn

I don't have any problems with his performance, but he's a general.. second only to Snoke in command of the entire First Order. Basically Tarkin's position from ANH. They should have gotten somebody who looks a little older than 23.

That's true, I didn't think of him being too young to be a general and hold that type of position. I guess that is a little strange.

Nikodemos

People hating on Cera as Scott Pilgrim and Karl Urban as McCoy?

c'mon son.
Cera is too dweeby for the role. Scott Pilgrim is a cool, ever veering a bit into suave, assholish character, whereas Cera is bit too too outwardly nerdy.

Karl Urban as Bones was fine tho'.

rekameohs

Banned
I think everyone in the First Order being very young is totally purposeful.

Halle Berry as Storm
Hayden Christensen/Jake Loyd as Anakin
Ronda Rousey as woman who fights Michelle Rodriguez. If getting her face beaten in by Nunes didn't kill her acting career that performance should have.

Who would have been a better fit for that character?

Michael Chiklis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom