• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst redesigns/casting choice for a video game character in another medium

Glowsquid

-and vice-versa!

There's been many terrible adaptation of video games in other medias, and with them, dubious interpretation of beloved video game characters. Likewise, there's been many terrible attempts at adapting the likeness of famous characters and actors in video games. What are your favourite examples?

Captain N is famous for its creative interpretations of video game characters, may it be making Mega Man green and giving him the voice of a chain smoker, King Hippo being inexplicably coloured blue, or everything about Simon Belmont (though this thread is about the worst redesigns, not the best). My favourite Captain N hatchet job, though, is what they did to Castlevania's Alucard. It's like the only thing DiC was told about the character is "well ummmmmmmmm he's the son of dracula" and they deliberatly tried to make it as Wrong as possible.

CpC9rT4WcAE6sLW.jpg:large
Cwmw56ZXEAAkEQR.jpg:large

Speaking of DIC cartoons, I also like what they did to Abobo and Machine Gun Willy in the Double Dragon cartoon. What was it with DiC and making fat evil men blue, anyway?

Fighting game movies are a gold mine for this stuff. Just take a look at Rugal in the KOF movie

or M. Bison in Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

-----

Gundam 0079: The War For Earth is a live-action FMV game adapting the first quarter of the original Gundam anime. It's mostly notable for being amusingly bad in every way, especially how they picked the worst possible actor for the young and athletic Char Aznable (or "Sha Aznabull" as he's called in the game's manual)

Spinky

Whoever the hell it was who played Wesker in RE: Afterlife. Holy Christ, what an embarrassing film.

But if we're talking about video game movies, the possibilities are endless.

e57afb46bf56e55d579cb36da47b6f9b81fb719a869ff4f3c892dc7d4fda4f8a.jpg

Should have been first post.

I don't think Bob Hoskins was a bad choice as Mario. He generally fit the mold of Mario well enough for 1993. John Leguizamo is a bit odd as Luigi. Was he Mario's adopted brother, or something? But otherwise, I didn't mind him as Luigi at all.

Overall, I can't fault the actors in the Super Mario Bros. movie, they were fine for the most part. It was the movie itself that was the problem.

My choice would be Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne. Even though Mark Wahlberg looked the part as Max Payne, I felt that he couldn't really carry that role very well as an actor. The movie itself was quite terrible overall and lacked all of the charm of the original Remedy games.

Glowsquid

The Time Cop SNES game finally gave a face and backstory to the beloved Time Cop character, Hans Kleindast.

And it was Good

gDkZgvt.png

Top Bottom