• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would anybody be up for a Shadow of War sequel?

Would you like a Shadow of War sequel?

• Yes please

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • No. Let it die.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Unsure.

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Shadow of War is currently on PSN, and this got me thinking of a potential sequel.

I actually really enjoyed Shadow of War. The story line was absolutely trash. Pure fan fiction that would make Tolkien roll in his grave, but I loved the gameplay, especially the Nemesis system.

I think if there is a sequel, then it should be set in the first age. Rather than being set in Mordor, the game should be set in Angband with Morgoth being the main antagonist. They can't really do anything with the third age anymore and first age would give the game a fresh perspective, especially with a new location.

It would also mean battles against dragons and lots of Balrogs! This would give the scope for bigger battles, and with next gen hardware, we could have battles with thousands of units on each side, complete with dedicated units of infantry, archers, cavalry etc.

However, I'd like to see more focus on the story. The story of Shadow of Mordor was bad enough, but the story of Shadow of War was just embarrassingly bad.

So, what say you GAF? A sequel/prequel to Shadow of War, or do we let the series die on the ash covered slopes of Mt Doom?

tommycronin

It could but I think we were really spoiled with the Return of the King game on ps2 that no lotr game has lived up to it for me. The new games don't even feel like lotr games at all that's it's biggest problem. Nemesis system is cool but wheres the lotr cool. I doubt Lotr fans are ringing up other fans and being like you gotta play the lotr game that nemesis system is fucking super.

fermcr

I would like a sequel for Mad Max. I enjoyed the game very much...

capsule_616x353.jpg

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't know, I think I had my fill. It was fun but the shit Shadow of War pulled with the endgame was some fucking bullshit.

Orpheum

Hell yeah. I platinumed Shadow of Mordor and loved shadow of war. If not for the TLotR universe, at least they should develop a new game with the nemesis system.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I really liked Shadow of Mordor, but Shadow of War was such a comedown from the better game before it, especially act 4's grindfest. it ruined the game for me. i'll never play it again.

Stop being so entitled dude you weren't supposed to enjoy that part of the game, you where supposed to feel invested and then pay to get around that based on a sunk cost fallacy.

Do you think just paying full price for a game is enough? Naaa dude you need to spend spend spend, otherwise why would WB even give you the privilege of letting you play there game?

Bankai

First I'm looking forward to giving Shadow of War a chance, now that's it's free on PS Plus!

I really liked Shadow of Mordor back in the day, played it on PC. Akthough the ending was really disappointing, I loved the dynamics of the blahblah-system, with the rivalry between Orcs and all (dunno what it was called anymore).

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Nah, it ended, let's move on to other games. The nemesis system is an interesting experiment but to only truly experience it you have to be bad at the game or die/lose on purpose. If you win every battle it doesn't have almost any impact, at that point you only got decapitated orcs coming back with their heads sewn back on and that is pretty much it for the nemesis system when the game is played by a competent player.

regawdless

Banned
Even more mtx and greedy mechanics to revert some time after launch? No thanks.

Also, played the first one but didn't finish it. Had a good 15ish hours of slaying hordes of mofos but it got boring after that.
The sequel was kinda just more of that and I dropped it quickly.

No desire at all for another sequel.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hell yeah. I platinumed Shadow of Mordor and loved shadow of war. If not for the TLotR universe, at least they should develop a new game with the nemesis system.

Agreed. The Nemesis system was a fantastic system. I hope they build on this in the future, if with another middle earth game, or maybe another series. Maybe they could incorporate it into a future Batman game?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Valt7786

I'd be happy with another LOTR game like it, or have them expand the nemesis system into another series. I'd love to see it in a Batman game, but it'd be a little tough to believe a thug is able to knock out or beat batman to the point that he needs to grapple away. Could also work in something like Mad Max though, or Ghost of Tsushima. Just need to figure out a resurrection mechanic for the main character that isn't bullshit. Which is difficult.

Fbh

Not really. The nemesis system was cool but everything else about the games was unremarkable IMO.

I'd rather see the nemesis system applied to some new IP.

still, I'd rather get a Shadow of War sequel than a Gollum game

Kssio_Aug

The first game was decent, but VERY repetitive. I never really bothered with Shadow of War since it distorted so much the original lore, in very stupid ways.

I would much prefer a new LOTR game, with a deeper experience in exploring the world. A well developed LOTR single player RPG could be pretty cool.

Laptop1991

Stop being so entitled dude you weren't supposed to enjoy that part of the game, you where supposed to feel invested and then pay to get around that based on a sunk cost fallacy.

Do you think just paying full price for a game is enough? Naaa dude you need to spend spend spend, otherwise why would WB even give you the privilege of letting you play there game?

LOL, i know, i'm so ungrateful, i should of got a loan for WB best bit of the game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gandih42

I really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor, I found it fresh at the time, and I will also be trying out Shadow of War when I get the time.

But I feel like there isn't enough innovation to warrant a third installment, and the story especially doesn't strike me as valuable or interesting enough to fuel a sequel.

I think the universe as a whole is ripe for more games and I would really love to see a game more focused on exploration and a sense of discovery.

Perhaps a bit cliché at this point, but I wouldn't mind seeing a game inspired by the kind of world building and level design seen in Dark Souls 1/Bloodborne, set in middle earth. Combat system could be whatever they want, maybe something more akin to the awesome PS2 games.

Södy

Shadow of Mordor was good.

Shadow of War was good aswell but I stopped playing at the 3rd castle. The boss fight was absolutely awful. I mean you run over the whole castle with your complete orc army just to get into the throne room to fight him and his fellows. Yeah instead of a fair one on one, you leave out your whole army to be fighting a boss and 12 always respawning enemies. It was tedious and boring.

Andodalf

Banned
I loved the games but I'm not sure where they should go narratively. It feels a bit played out, but I'd love to see a new game use their systems.

MiguelItUp

Maybe mix up the mechanics a bit more, but yeah, I'd love another Mordor title. Not sure how they'd go through with it lore wise, but the games have always been dumb fun.

The nemesis system is still so so so good.

SkylineRKR

Shadow of Mordor was good.

Shadow of War was good aswell but I stopped playing at the 3rd castle. The boss fight was absolutely awful. I mean you run over the whole castle with your complete orc army just to get into the throne room to fight him and his fellows. Yeah instead of a fair one on one, you leave out your whole army to be fighting a boss and 12 always respawning enemies. It was tedious and boring.

Those were trash, essentially you had to shadow pull overlords unto the balcony.

iHaunter

I don't like their cash shop bullshit so fuck them. That aside the games were slightly above average, nothing special. Play and forget.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really like Shadow of War, but if anything, it might be too much game. I mean, it’s utterly enormous and has a ton of content. I appreciate them going balls out with it but I also do not think they left much on the table for a sequel.

I want them to take the nemesis system and apply it to other genres, like a mafia game.

Top Bottom