• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Dreamcast Emulation be possible on 360 in theory?

Blablurn

I really wonder about that. It would be a dream, to play some DreamCast-Games on 360. Not via GD, I know 360 cant read them, but as download-games or homebrew.

I am talking about technical limitations.

dreamcast%20en%20xboite.jpg

Chankast was in the process of being ported to the original Xbox before the developers seemingly dropped off the face of the planet.

jarrod

Banned
I'd love to see select Xbox and Dreamcast games added to XBLA. They should open a dedicated "Virtual Console"-esque section for it imo. Throw in Neo*Geo while they're at it. :)

jarrod said:
I'd love to see select Xbox and Dreamcast games added to XBLA. They should open a dedicated "Virtual Console"-esque section for it imo. Throw in Neo*Geo while they're at it. :)

And Saturn!

Damn I miss my Sega games!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
jarrod said:

I wonder what the BC team will do once they finish the original Xbox emulation? Maybe move onto getting Xbox and DC games on live?? :D

Markster

If the 360 can emulate original X-box games, then it can surely emulate the lower power Dreamcast.

Hell, the Dreamcast used a RISC processor, which is much closer to the 360's PowerPC than the X-box's Intel chip.

d58e7

Well can't Sega technically Release/Sell a download to add backwards compatibility on the Live marketplace?

btrboyev

if xbox emulation is possible why wouldnt dreamcast be?

That is not a good argument...especially considering the saturn is far less powerful than either and is one of the most difficult machines to emulate.

jarrod

Banned
d58e7 said:
Well can't Sega technically Release/Sell a download to add backwards compatibility on the Live marketplace?
Why bother... they'd make far more cash by offering DC games directly for download.

Ecrofirt

He's not talking about anything illegal, so I don't know why he's being so secretive.

There's a guy porting an NES emulator over to Microsoft's XNA platform. XNA is Microsoft's way of allowing homebrew on the 360. To run the emulator on the 360, you need to get an XNA Creator's Club membership for $100 a year, and then you'll need to get the source code for the emulator (as you've currently got to compile everything yourself to get it to run on the 360).

So, enjoy your newfound knowledge.

Here's everything you need to know:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEyAlZZyAllOjWBsIC.php
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEZpEFVpylKcqMOvcv.php

mollipen

Speevy said:
What I said. There are no emulators for the Xbox 360.

Right now, yes. But there's no reason at all that Sega couldn't themselves come up with some sort of emulator.

Plus, there has never been a console where homebrew apps weren't possible at some point, and for the forseeable future, there probably won't be.

Ecrofirt said:
He's not talking about anything illegal, so I don't know why he's being so secretive.
I was not sure on the details and also did not know if linking the story from where I read it is alowed here.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Ecrofirt said:

There's a guy porting an NES emulator over to Microsoft's XNA platform. XNA is Microsoft's way of allowing homebrew on the 360. To run the emulator on the 360, you need to get an XNA Creator's Club membership for $100 a year, and then you'll need to get the source code for the emulator (as you've currently got to compile everything yourself to get it to run on the 360).

So, enjoy your newfound knowledge.

Here's everything you need to know:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEyAlZZyAllOjWBsIC.php
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEZpEFVpylKcqMOvcv.php

Meh, not worth paying 100 a year for that. It's over and above the usual 50 bucks for XBL Gold too, right?

Danj

btrboyev said:
the saturn is far less powerful than either and is one of the most difficult machines to emulate.

Wasn't that because it has two actual processors in though?

jarrod

Banned
Fatghost said:
2 x Hitachi SH2

1x Hitachi SH1

Then you got the VDP1 and VDP2 chip, the Yamaha soundchip...7 altogether.
You also need to factor in that SEGA encouraged a lot of "too the metal" software coding and access. Camelot's Shining Force III actually uses the Yamaha to help draw it's 3D backgrounds for example... the chips were used in a pretty wide variety depending on the game.

btrboyev said:
That is not a good argument...especially considering the saturn is far less powerful than either and is one of the most difficult machines to emulate.

i'd say that has more to do with not much work being done on saturn emu than anything else.

Johnny

I can play many Dreamcast games flawlessly on my cheap Sempron 2800+ system, I don't see why the 360 couldn't, especially with professional programmers working on it.

cvxfreak

I'd pay $100 for a Dreamcast emulator on the 360 that ran Dreamcast discs. Or I'd download the games I loved to play. I'd love to replay the original Shenmue or the RE games on the DC, but I can't stand the controller and don't really feel like pulling the system out of the closet.

Squeak

Markster said:
If the 360 can emulate original X-box games, then it can surely emulate the lower power Dreamcast.

Hell, the Dreamcast used a RISC processor, which is much closer to the 360's PowerPC than the X-box's Intel chip.
:lol
You don't know jack about anything, do you?

Dali

btrboyev said:

The Saturn emulator creators aren't endorsed by Sega and don't have full knowledge of the libraries and instruction sets. They are basically reverse engineering everything. If Sega were to endorse DC or Saturn emulation on 360 (providing relevant documentation on either system) I don't think it would be as huge a task as the flying blind approach they are forced to use now.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I'd want something like this in the situation that my Dreamcast finally dies, just to get my Memoff kicks... but since the Dreamcast is still hooked up next to the 360, no need yet.

Top Bottom