• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would North America's game industry be different had we not imprison the Japanese?

CO_Andy

There aren't too many Japanese folk living in the mainland of North America due to Executive Order 9066 - or the relocation of Japanese-Americans to internment camps.

The U.S. definitely has good relations with Japan today, but we aren't seeing (if any) East & West collaborations, the likes that would combine the technical prowess of Western games and the artistry of Eastern games.

CO_Andy said:
There aren't too many Japanese folk living in the mainland of North America due to Executive Order 9066 - or the relocation of Japanese-Americans to internment camps.

The U.S. definitely has good relations with Japan today, but we aren't seeing (if any) East & West collaborations, the likes that would combine the technical prowess of Western games and the artistry of Eastern games.

I simply don't get this idea that Eastern games are so much more artistic than Western games. But then again, this is a place where box art can cause a 4 page thread.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
CO_Andy said:

What the f*ck?

crunker99

i have to say at this point i think the reason they dont live here doesnt have anything to do with 9066, and on top of that around me there are tons of places where tons of asian people live.

this thread is pretty heavy fare too, im not sure what kind of responses you are going to get

Speevy

Banned
CO_Andy said:

I don't even know where to start.

impirius

Would Japan's game industry be different today had they not bombed Pearl Harbor?

If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

Well, this certainly is a new question.

I don't know about that, but Sony did just unite all it's dev houses from SCEJapan, SCEAmerica, and SCEEurope all under one roof making like the biggest dev house in the world. Maybe we can finally see some collaborations and sharing of technology between regional devs.

Speevy said:
I don't even know where to start.

Just take a deep breath and do what I did, turn it into a question of who says Eastern games are the only ones artistic. Then comment on box art being overrated. Together we can derail this thread.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
CO_Andy said:

well I'd say next to Chinese people Japanese people make up the largest percent of Asians in America.. As well as all of the businesses (Toyota, Sony, yada, yada, yada) that came over during the boom of the 80s..

So I'd say this is pretty off the wall reasoning.. to put it in a polite way

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Well, this certainly is a new question.

I don't know about that, but Sony did just unite all it's dev houses from SCEJapan, SCEAmerica, and SCEEurope all under one roof making like the biggest dev house in the world. Maybe we can finally see some collaborations and sharing of technology between regional devs.

whoa, it's like a developer internment camp... I mean HAPPY CAMP!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I see a lot of semi-serious replies....

but am I the only one here who sees this as one of the funniest fucking topics in some time?

radioheadrule83 said:
And who says the Western games are where the "techincal prowess" is showcased?

Hey, everyone knows Western games like Zone Of The Enders 2 are were the technical prowess are, while Eastern games like Psychonauts are all about the art. There are no instances where the role can be reversed, thus making the original question and commentary pointless and a waste of space on this forum.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Blackace said:
well I'd say next to Chinese people Japanese people make up the largest percent of Asians in America.

Nah, they're like 6th on the list of Asian American groups. There are somewhere around 800,000 to 1,200,000 Japanese Americans in the US. They have very low birth rates in comparison to other ethnic groups and immigration from Japan to the US is very low.

It has little to do with WWII however, and more to do with the fact that Japan is a very nice place to live. Much of the immigrant influx into the United States comes from what we would consider impoverished nations. Japan does not qualify in that regard (though, of course there is poverty).

ManDudeChild said:
Hey, everyone knows Western games like Zone Of The Enders 2 are were the technical prowess are, while Eastern games like Psychonauts are all about the art. There are no instances where the role can be reversed, thus making the original question and commentary pointless and a waste of space on this forum.

:D

I will answer your question with another question; if Al-Qaeda was a game developer would they make original IP or licensed games?

Leewan

You have got to be kidding me. Did this guy just sit in front of his computer trying to think of a question to ask in the forum. I may be wrong but the Japanese weren't deported back to Japan; the japanese were sent to camps inside america and then released. That has no relevance on game developement. America helping Japan rebuild after we bombed them is why they have such a strong economy today. You could ask if world war 2 never happened would game developement be different and in that case probably yes, but then again the deppression would have lasted longer in America as well.

monchi-kun said:
I will answer your question with another question; if Al-Qaeda was a game developer would they make original IP or licensed games?

Original IP. Much like those horrible racism video games, they'd have a hard time getting the rights to any major licensed property. :D

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
20051024l.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Are there any slavery videogames? I'd like to see if I recognize any relatives in them....

Dilbert

impirius said:
:lol :lol :lol

This topic is deeply, deeply fucked up. I think we should tie this guy to his chair and see what else he comes up with!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
impirius said:
Would Japan's game industry be different today had they not bombed Pearl Harbor?

i loled

Meier

impirius said:

Hah, this cracked me up. Seriously though, this is such an odd topic...

winter

The industry as a whole would probably be no different. However, WWII has had an obvious effect on Japanese games and anime like it did with literature and art of other cultures. All those end-of-the-world and postapocalyptic themes are most definitely connected to the dropping of the Atom bombs.

Gek54

Wait, the original post is implying that Japan doesnt work as closely with the West due to their anger about WWII internment camps? :lol

Screw the atomic bombs, you held Japanese Americans in internment camps, you bastards!

NotMSRP

Those people left Japan so they wouldn't be that much of a concern to the country? During the racist, early American history, Japanese government showed concern for people who are temporarily working overseas?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wyzdom said:
I officially certify this thread too high-minded and intellectual for GAF. :lol

I'm thinking it's quite the opposite actually.

Did the author of this thread just get done reading Ray Bradbury's

A Sound of Thunder

?

genjiZERO

I just want to post before this get locked...
I think the real question is "if Japan had not lost WW2 and the US not helped rebuild their economy would they be the videogame powerhouse they are today?" if this is indeed the question then I would say no becuase most big electronics companies in Japan today (including Sony) are a result of dismantling the monopolies held by giant companies before the start of the war.

Phoenix

CO_Andy said:

The war ended like 60 years ago. There are people of Japaneese descent all over the country. Anyone who is Japanese who wants to be here IS here.

Whether we do or not has more to do with geography and the pain in the ass it would be timezone/business wise to run a development in two entirely different countries with entirely different languages and concepts more than it does have anything to do with WW2. That would be like saying the US and Russian game development teams don't collaborate due to the cold war.

CO_Andy

In case anyone is wondering, i made this topic while sitting in my U.S. History class.

I suppose it is kind of a dumb question after reading your responses :D

Pellham

Banned
Blackace said:
well I'd say next to Chinese people Japanese people make up the largest percent of Asians in America.. As well as all of the businesses (Toyota, Sony, yada, yada, yada) that came over during the boom of the 80s..

So I'd say this is pretty off the wall reasoning.. to put it in a polite way

Really? I thought Vietnamese were #2 followed by Japanese. Though those were from census figures in the 90s...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It probably would be different yes.

I like how you made it sound like America had no cause to imprison Japanese people though, that was very clever.

callous

CO_Andy said:
In case anyone is wondering, i made this topic while sitting in my U.S. History class.

I suppose it is kind of a dumb question after reading your responses :D

I was just about to post a question asking if you'd recently heard about these camps in school.

Yes, your question really is stupid. Worthy of a tag, even.

Top Bottom