• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy with this level of graphics next gen?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm totally happy with current gen graphics, though, I'm more into anime or stylistic stuff.

BTW, I can finally believe 4k/60 fps can be possible, mostly because Zen 2 so much more of improvement for that than any buffed GPU... Framerate is basically being pushed back by weak CPU since gen 6.

Diddy X

I'm totally happy with current gen graphics, though, I'm more into anime or stylistic stuff.

BTW, I can finally believe 4k/60 fps can be possible, mostly because Zen 2 so much more of improvement for that than any buffed GPU... Framerate is basically being pushed back by weak CPU since gen 6.

This was the first gen I was happy with graphics and mostly IQ, next-gen is gonna have amazing looking games no doubt.

abcdrstuv

Banned
It could be a good thing if graphics plateau.. good images with less work means more resources to put into art design, gameplay ideas, writing, environmental variation..

Poordevil

However pretty, however realistic, I only expect games to run at native 4k and minimum 30fps. Anything less than that and I would be disappointed. That is 30fps minimum. Faster is better, but I do not want to see compromise with 30fps or native 4k.

Neo_game

I like gfx just like anyone else. But honestly I am not into 4K and it compromises gfx detail. Having said that I think gfx wise we have already reached very high level. I think we will have some remakes and the difference should be big. Personally I want the classic POP trilogy remake. :messenger_heart:

iiStryker

Neo Member
For gaming I prefer a rock solid frame rate at 60fps, excellent frame pacing with no tearing over IQ any day. I would also expect exponentially better more organically dynamic AI too.

I don’t need larger more detailed worlds if they’re going to give me the same mundane shit to do with simpleton NPC’s

this is Unity Engine we're seeing here xD can't expect anything to run well on that thing
Ya’ll know that Mike Acton (Ex Tech Director at Insomniac) is now leading tech at Unity right?

The mega city demo was built to demonstrate some of the work he’s been leading around “performance by default” with their new ECS/DOTS & and Burst Compiler work.
Unity of today (or tomorrow) is not the same Unity of yesteryear...

GymWolf

All I really want is insanely detailed giblets. Where is the next game that is so graphic it has parents boomers everywhere freaking out about the violence? I'm talking about disemboweling Nazis with my chainsaw and watching the enemy AI try to put the intestines back inside. Full musculoskeletal renders in which things can be blown to bits in infinite permutations and AI reacts accordingly.

Honestly I thought this generation would have it, but the best we've gotten is scripted animation deaths in games like God of War/Doom Eternal or at best what you have in Sniper Elite 4. Make it better.

19fp9luqz3yz3gif.gif
giphy.gif

GymWolf

i don't think games are going to look much different. a lot of the power of these new consoles will be quickly eaten up by having to run at 4K native and not the fake 4k that is on Pro/X. if a game uses raytracing then that will largely be the biggest difference because that will take a chunk of performance. we might see some better physics/animations but nothing crazy.

as for framerate the XSX has the better chance of having a 60fps target but probably still have lots of drops. the PS5 will struggle and likely will be capped at 30fps or have unlimited (up to 60fps lol) framerate with the option to cap to 30fps.
this is why teraflops are important and why i was pissed for ps5 only having 9-10 of them.
if sony can get his hands on something like dlss 2.0 or better where differences with native 4k are relatively small, they can concentrate on better raw graphic (same for microsoft tbh)
(i still prefer native4k, but you have to please that 400dollars tops "hardcore" gamers demographic in some way...)

Last edited:

Banned
Ya’ll know that Mike Acton (Ex Tech Director at Insomniac) is now leading tech at Unity right?

The mega city demo was built to demonstrate some of the work he’s been leading around “performance by default” with their new ECS/DOTS & and Burst Compiler work.
Unity of today (or tomorrow) is not the same Unity of yesteryear...

we'll see when the first Unity game releases that is up to current graphics standards and runs well ontop of that, as for now no such game exists on Unity.

we'll see when the first Unity game releases that is up to current graphics standards and runs well ontop of that, as for now no such game exists on Unity.
Have you played any of Playdead's games? not quite AAA but INSIDE is certainly up there both in terms of GFX as well as smooth perf...

Matt_Fox

I believe the combination of the micro and the macro will create the wow factor for next gen graphics.

On one hand you'll be able to have heavily populated and broad vistas as seen in the Megacity Demo, but then the game will take you into an enclosed space - you enter a room - and the processing power will shift towards rendering the micro. You'll now have uber detailed furniture and faces.

The clever switching between rendering the macro and the micro will create the illusion that the game world has both massive scale and super sharp detail. I believe next gen games genuinely will look something apart from what we play today, and jaws will be dropping.

the macro...
quseM88.jpg

the micro...
jocd19E.jpg

Reactions: CJY

Banned
Have you played any of Playdead's games? not quite AAA but INSIDE is certainly up there both in terms of GFX as well as smooth perf...

what? a 2.5D game with a hand full of semi busy background animations is your example?

what I'm talking about is a 3D game with actually detailed graphics,
the only Unity engine games you see that have somewhat decent framerates are either 3D games with graphics so unbelievably simple they basically go for a retro or low polygon look... or they are 2D/2.5D games... and even those often run like shit, see Ori 2.
as soon as they tried having more complex 3D backgrounds they struggle to keep the framerate even remotely near 60fps even on a decent PC, let alone consoles.

there's not a single game in existence that has detailed modern looking 3D graphics and runs well on Unity Engine... not 1.
the ones that have detailed 3D graphics run absolutely terribly on everything. on PC, if yours is super high end, you might be able to brute force them, but that's about the only way you'll get smooth performance with high end graphics on Unity Engine.

what? a 2.5D game with a hand full of semi busy background animations is your example?

what I'm talking about is a 3D game with actually detailed graphics,
the only Unity engine games you see that have somewhat decent framerates are either 3D games with graphics so unbelievably simple they basically go for a retro or low polygon look... or they are 2D/2.5D games... and even those often run like shit, see Ori 2.
as soon as they tried having more complex 3D backgrounds they struggle to keep the framerate even remotely near 60fps even on a decent PC, let alone consoles.

there's not a single game in existence that has detailed modern looking 3D graphics and runs well on Unity Engine... not 1.
the ones that have detailed 3D graphics run absolutely terribly on everything. on PC, if yours is super high end, you might be able to brute force them, but that's about the only way you'll get smooth performance with high end graphics on Unity Engine.

Well given typical lead times for modern games, I think you'll see a lot of major leaps forward in this vein in the coming years.

Some of that will come from evolutionary performance enhancements Mike and the team are bringing to bear, and some of that will be through next-gen HW just hiding logic bloat through raw power as you say so whilst I agree with your assessment, I think we're at an inflection point now and things will change.

Top Bottom