• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would You Be Ok With Final Fantasy Going Back To Doofy Characters?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This looks really great. Is there anything I should play/read/watch/whatever before this comes out?
Well there is Granblue Fantasy Versus coming out its good game to play before Granblue Fantasy Relink. The Versus is a fighting game but the single player part plays like 2D beat em up RPG.

It's called Final Fantasy XIV.
But I’m not really in MMO, I want to see single player mainline Final Fantasy with that artstyle.

Last edited:

StormCell

I'm drinking right now and something occurred to me that I still can't decide what my favorite FF game is but I think it's currently FFIX.

But that makes me wonder - would you be ok with FF going back to doofy looking characters like it traditionally had up to VII and then again in IX.

FFVIII gave us first realistic characters and would you rather it stuck with that? Would you be okay with a mainline FF going back to the cartoony look?

Wait, you thought FF traditionally had doofy-looking characters up until VII? I don't think I follow your definition of doofy-looking. FFVII's characters were very similar in style to that of VI--I mean, that game borrowed heavily from VI as it was. The difference was hardware limitations and only being able to do so much with the pixel art. The characters in VI weren't meant to look doofy or even cartoony, though. In fact, Terra and Celes were meant to be lookers, if you know what I mean!! *wink*

I would also say that IV's characters were of the more serious tone and style. These are the absolute CLASSIC Final Fantasy titles! Not this stuff they squeeze out today...

mortal

Gold Member
I do miss seeing more anthropomorphic Final Fantasy characters, particularly in the mainline games.

I like Tetsuya Nomura as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't mind seeing other artists take on the role of main character designer. Having so many unique characters and ideas interpreted most often through a singular artistic voice seem very limiting for Final Fantasy, at least in my opinion.

The Nomura era aesthetic has become the trademark "Final Fantasy look". It's now part of the brand, which also extends into other IPs, so that's more like extra Nomura.
Which is fine, but it doesn't have to be that particular. More variety of main character designers would make for a wonderful change of pace.

Last edited:

JCK75

I'm drinking right now and something occurred to me that I still can't decide what my favorite FF game is but I think it's currently FFIX.

But that makes me wonder - would you be ok with FF going back to doofy looking characters like it traditionally had up to VII and then again in IX.

FFVIII gave us first realistic characters and would you rather it stuck with that? Would you be okay with a mainline FF going back to the cartoony look?

I'm confused by the question because every FF game I've seen in the last 15 years I just think.. many those characters look doofy.

I don't need (or want) photorealism, but for a mainline Final Fantasy, I'd rather the series continue with a realistically proportioned world and characters. What I would like to see is the mainline series (not counting the online titles) reduce some of its techno-modern aesthetic in favor of a more classically inspired setting.

Enjay

Banned
If they can at least turn Midgar into a 45 hour full game with a tight narrative, I’ll be willing to hold out hope that they’ve figured things out.
badnews.jpg

Myths

A lot of people’s expectations are basically a single-player offline FFXIV for the next FF (since it closely mimics that medieval fantasy setting reminiscent of I-V). Obviously, you have the small sci-fi twist but for the most part back to something traditional as far as I-V/IX.

Gargus

Banned
I haven't liked a final fantasy in over a decade so they can do anything they want with it far as I'm concerned.

Tiamat2san

Please no.
I prefer characters that are approximately on par with the age they’re supposed to be.
With normal proportions.
It exactly why FFIX is not one of my favorite final fantasy.
I hate the character design.

Elysion

Banned
The better question is if FF games will ever have traversable world maps again. I miss the feeling of freedom from being able to fly all over the world, and being able to land wherever you want, searching for undiscovered locations. Later games feel much more restricted in this regard, without that sense of scale, even though in real terms they are much bigger.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd honestly just like FF to be fun again. No character design will save a badly designed game with a convoluted story.

It's why I enjoy DQXI.

Fun, charming and hits me in all the right places. Story is pretty straightforward too so that's a plus.

Give me a short story with a theme or message anyone can understand. Don't write me a messy novel.

Let me level up my guys and girls and let me save the world. Thanks.

Top Bottom