• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

would you be pissed if gta4 looked like crackdown?

K_S

Banned
i know i would be...

im expecting saints row graphics +++ with gta4 which is kinda dumb looking back at the style of past gtas (just dawned on me earlier today)

so do you think we'll get realistic gta or cartoony gta? and what would you prefer?

Ranger X

Realistic GTA.

I think GTA always aimed at being more realistic looking than cartoon looking. It's just that some people are mislead by the low quality textures and low poly characters into thinking they wanted it cartoon.

Striek

Realistic is what we'll get. The past GTAs were as (graphically) realistic as possible under hardware limits.

Although I thought this thread was going to be about the technical side, in which case GTA4 better smoke both Saints Row and Crackdown.

K_S

Banned
Striek said:
Realistic is what we'll get. The past GTAs were as (graphically) realistic as possible under hardware limits.

Although I thought this thread was going to be about the technical side, in which case GTA4 better smoke both Saints Row and Crackdown.

well it is

realistic graphics need to be really good on a technical level to be pulled off while cartoony dont need it at all since it could just be the style more so than not much tech

hie

K_S said:
well it is

realistic graphics need to be really good on a technical level to be pulled off while cartoony dont need it at all since it could just be the style more so than not much tech

wow.

you must be a developer.

RumFore

Banned
I think Saints looks like shit with all its uglyness so yes but I dont think we have anything to worry about because even GTA:SA on the PC has a better look and style than Saints.

K_S

Banned
hie said:
wow.

you must be a developer.

well you can pull off a cartoony look by just drawing some lines

to make things realistic you need to use all kinds of crazy stuff (advanced shadows, textures etc)

and no im not a developer :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
perryfarrell said:
Yes, Crackdown has.... what they call.... hmmm... dare I say it... bad art.

I must ask, what's different about GTA and Crackdown's art?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jet1911 said:
I hope you're not serious. :O

Fraid so, homey. :/

Just only looked at the screenshots between both games. (and I'm not talking about the technical aspects, obviously)

K_S said:
well you can pull off a cartoony look by just drawing some lines

to make things realistic you need to use all kinds of crazy stuff (advanced shadows, textures etc)

and no im not a developer :p
Um. If you decide to make a "cartoony" game, it's still going to look shitty without "advanced shadows and textures". The art really has nothing to do with with effects and textures. If you use last generation techniques on a cell shaded game, it's not going to hide outdated technology, it will look like a cell shaded game from last generation.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oblivion said:
I must ask, what's different about GTA and Crackdown's art?

84as4.jpg
gta20san20andreas20ps2202lwq2.jpg

K_S said:
would you be pissed if gta4 looked like crackdown?

Very.

Im hoping GTA retains it unique style, while at the same time looking less... crappy. But what I want the most out of GTA 4 is better f*cking gunplay damnit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
rockstar will do whatever's best. all hail rockstar.

Chemo

GTA's appearance should emulate its slick art style. Realistic games are a dime a dozen, good art direction is rare

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Was it just speculation that GTA4 was going to use the same engine as Table Tennis?

Rockstar has shown with the GTAs to have a great sense of style. The themes, music, graphics and voice acting of the GTA's all fit together perfectly. Overarching, coherent vision and all that. Rockstar can pull it off, even if they were to make a more cartoonish game.

Crackdown has none of that. Especially early screens and movies looked awful (it has improved a little bit in the last trailers). A weird odd airbrushed look, jarring colors, it feels randomly thrown together, no overarching idea. The main character's suit is so exaggerated. Just no style. Look at the main characters' vehicle, it's like a drawing of a car made by a 12-year old.

(But then again, people seem to have no difficulty with the Halo universe, which baffles me to be honest.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'll bet if this was called grand theft auto: crackdown a lot more people would be rallying to it. i've never been a big fan of the gta series--i've always seen it as a "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of game--but at least the concept of crackdown, that you're some kind of crazy weird superhero cop in the future who can throw cars is a pretty interesting twist on the wearing criminal theme of sandbox games.

but that suit is pretty goofy.
i'll give you that. hehe.

perryfarrell said:
Rockstar has shown with the GTAs to have a great sense of style. The themes, music, graphics and voice acting of the GTA's all fit together perfectly. Overarching, coherent vision and all that. Rockstar can pull it off, even if they were to make a more cartoonish game.

Crackdown has none of that. Especially early screens and movies looked awful (it has improved a little bit in the last trailers). A weird odd airbrushed look, jarring colors, it feels randomly thrown together, no overarching idea. The main character's suit is so exaggerated. Just no style. Look at the main characters' vehicle, it's like a drawing of a car made by a 12-year old.

(But then again, people seem to have no difficulty with the Halo universe, which baffles me to be honest.)

You seem to be a sensible human being, right up until that last bit anyways.

Flynn

I've always liked that the GTA games erred on the cartoony side of realism.

I hope they keep it up.

I think people confuse realism with detail. San Andreas was a very detailed game -- I loved the way the neighborhoods in the hills felt like a slice of Silverlake -- but it also used techniques of simplification to its benefit.

This is going to be an interesting juggling act for more artisticly-minded game designers in the next generation. The urge to go for photo-real will be tempting, but ultimately fail for all those but the most expert in execution.

I'm secretly hoping that GTA4 leans towards the stylized and totally blows the minds of millions of gamers.

Top Bottom