• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a reprint Panzer Dragoon Saga if it was $50?

D-X

Kon Tiki said:
Drop the voice?

Are you FUCKING with me?

Have you even played the game? The voice is intergral to gameplay.

The truth.

Even if this game was dubbed in English it would have lost a lot of what makes it great

jluedtke

Would you buy a brand new copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for $50?
-Yes, Definitely.

If Panzer Dragoon Saga Was Re-Released, where would you want to see it?
-Where it belongs, on the Sega Saturn.
-On a Download Service like Xbox Live Marketplace.
-On a Handheld System (NDS or the PSP).
-On a recent console (Ps2, Xbox 360, Revolution, etc.)
-ALL OF THE ABOVE

Would you pay a premium price for Panzer Dragoon Saga if it included bonus materials?
-Yes, It would be a nice addition to my collection.

Are there any other titles you'd be interested in purchasing if they were re-released? (List All That Apply)
-Probably

What are your thoughts on reprinting out of print titles?
-I love it, I get to play games that I otherwise wouldn't be able to play.

Don't mean to rain on the parade here, and I think what you guys do is the epitome of coolness, but are there even 10,000 active Saturn players in America? Those dudes are the hardest of the hard-core, and I would bet that most of those guys already have PSS, and I don't honestly think there are enough dudes out there willing to drop a fifty on a game for a dead system(even if its one of the most highly reguarded RPG's of all time) to cover that print run.

If you sweetened the deal, well maybe. Maybe if you ask Sega VERY nicely, you could bundle another ultra-rare Saturn game to go with it(as if there aren't enough to choose from). Heck, if you could get some of the neat-o keen JPN only Saturn shumups here with PDS, any Saturn owner would be foolish to pass that up. You might convert a few non Saturn owners to the choir as well.
Are there any other titles you'd be interested in purchasing if they were re-released? (List All That Apply)
Working Designs had some really nifty PS1 titles in their catalog, no? Raycrisis, Raystorm, Elemental Gearbolt, Alundra, Thundeforce V, heck, any hard to find PS1 era shooter (Gradius Gaiden, R-Type Delta would be awfully swell).
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has been needing a reprint for a looooong time.

Anyways, you guys keep up the good work. I hope all goes well for you.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
-Absolutely

-Saturn specifically, but anywhere is good by me.

Would you pay a premium price for Panzer Dragoon Saga if it included bonus materials?
-Yes

-Yes - Shining Force III, Legend of Oasis, Albert Odyssey, Exile:Wicked Phenomenon

-It's great - it enables people to play some excellent games that they may have missed the first time through, without paying out the teeth for them.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
- Only if it didn't suck. I guess what I'm saying here is, don't count on a sale from me.

Any of those works for me, as long as you drop the 'NDS' bit - I would want the game unmutilated.

-No, $50 is already pushing it.

Plus see provisos above about sucking.

An English translation of the full set of Shining Force III games. Now those would work better on a handheld.

Also, it screws over people who buy games to hoard them rather than to play them. GOD DAMN IT, YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
-No.
--I already own it for the Saturn. But even if I didn't, I'd have to be brutally honest and say I probably wouldn't want to pay full price for a retro-game.

--It's substantial enough that it could justify a re-release by itself, but I'd probably want to see it bundled with something I don't have/also would like to see re-released.

---The bonus materials would probably have to be my main reason for getting it. A 360 release that included a Panzer style faceplate? Oh ho yes. A full-sized artbook covering the entire series? (See Lagi) English translations of the novels? An Azel pendant replica? Maybe. It'd have to be something *good*.

-Yes [Answer Here]
--Just about everything Working Designs has ever done, an absolute ton of Saturn games that only made it out in Japan (I guess that would be more of a localization process though), just about anything good/interesting that was substantially underprinted. A lot SNES games. The Lufia titles are a bit sparse/pricey. A lot of the PSX games. Helllooo Atlus.

-I like it, but I'd prefer if there were something visual on the case/disc to differentiate an original from a reprint.
---Mostly so the price of the originals doesn't plummit so badly, god help me. Not that I'd ever sell my originals, I just like to know they're worth something. Totally selfish there. I don't really think you'd have to mark something from the current generation as a reprint though, just older stuff.

But I also think having a reprint tag would raise awareness that reprints *can* happen, and maybe more people will ask for them and therefore they would happen more often. I had no idea anyone was doing reprints until this week.

callous

-Yes, definitely. I had the game and sold it upon completion, but for $50 in a shiny new box I'd get it again.

-On a recent console (Ps2, Xbox 360, Revolution, etc.) OR a handheld.

-No, $50 is already pushing it.

-Yes. I was going to buy Sega Rally 2006 just for the remake/port (but it turned out not so good I hear), and I'm getting Valkyrie Profile for PSP. I'm also getting FFIII, FFV and FFVI for GBA.

I think they should remake/reprint all rare and popular titles as budget releases. I'd like to have a nice collection of the best games, but I'm not going to pay $100+ for rare titles. I want them mainly to play them, after all. Not to brag about them.

jarrod

Banned
Kon Tiki said:
Drop the voice?

Are you FUCKING with me?

Have you even played the game? The voice is intergral to gameplay.
Er... how exactly was voice "intergral to gameplay"? I'm not remembering that at all?

Tamashii Sensei said:
It broke the 100k barrier.
I'd guess it's around 200k worldwide. Still a far cry from what Panzer sold in the Saturn days though (except Azel/Saga, which totally bombed).

Kaworu

-Yes, Definitely.

-Yes [a bunch ]

-I like it, but I'd prefer if there were something visual on the case/disc to differentiate an original from a reprint.

PC Gaijin

For all this talk about putting PDS on a DS card or Live Arcade....

Here's how big the game is in megabytes:

Code:
Disc	Size	Movie	Sound
 1	 534	 364	    58
 2	 462	 241	   119
 3	 522	 235	   165
 4	 481	 299	   102
Total	1999	1139	   444

Good luck chopping that down. Take out the FMV/voice and what do you have left? The game was practically an FMV adventure anyway.

A reprint run of 10k for a SATURN game of all things sounds like financial suicide. Which, considering it's a Sega game, is not entirely inappropriate. :lol

PC Gaijin said:
For all this talk about putting PDS on a DS card or Live Arcade....

Here's how big the game is in megabytes:

Code:
Disc	Size	Movie	Sound
 1	 534	 364	    58
 2	 462	 241	   119
 3	 522	 235	   165
 4	 481	 299	   102
Total	1999	1139	   444

Good luck chopping that down. Take out the FMV/voice and what do you have left? The game was practically an FMV adventure anyway.

A reprint run of 10k for a SATURN game of all things sounds like financial suicide. Which, considering it's a Sega game, is not entirely inappropriate. :lol

Damn, I forgot it was 4 discs. DS?! Bwahahahahahaaha!!!

3rdman

jarrod said:
Er... how exactly was voice "intergral to gameplay"? I'm not remembering that at all?

I'd guess it's around 200k worldwide. Still a far cry from what Panzer sold in the Saturn days though (except Azel/Saga, which totally bombed).

The language was created for the game (to me it sounds like a latin derivative) and went a long ways to making the game world come alive. Also, again, I'd like to reiterate that Sega already owns the emulator that allows this game to run at 100% speed on PC's...only a DX8 card is required and a somewhat current CPU. So, if included, it could be sold to anybody with a PC, not just Saturn owners.

Perhaps I'm being to selfish in the thought that this might sell 10k, but for me, it is a favorite and well worth it. Love it!

element

The videos used an awful codec, which caused them to be much higher size then codecs today. Also the movies were like 70% of the content on the discs.

element

another option on a port would be realtime cinematics. they were really bad looking bad. The DS could do the cinematics in realtime now, PSP for sure.

ShowDog

No, it would bring back the bad memories of selling my original copy for $150. 150 sweet dollars that I proceeded to waste on three Dreamcast games, one of which was Speed Devils.

Kon Tiki

Banned
3rdman said:
The language was created for the game (to me it sounds like a latin derivative) and went a long ways to making the game world come alive. Also, again, I'd like to reiterate that Sega already owns the emulator that allows this game to run at 100% speed on PC's...only a DX8 card is required and a somewhat current CPU. So, if included, it could be sold to anybody with a PC, not just Saturn owners.

Perhaps I'm being to selfish in the thought that this might sell 10k, but for me, it is a favorite and well worth it. Love it!
Plus the easedropping was key to the game as well. Could not really pull that off with JUST text.

Tarazet

Oh, didn't see the poll until now:

-I'd consider it

-I'd Consider it.

-No.

The only reason why I would not want a re-make of the game for another system is due to the fact that Sega's track record when it comes to them is, how shall we say, less than stellar?

But I already have the game, yet I would easily buy another copy for the Saturn if it was $50.

Though what I really want to see at that price is Radiant Silvergun. :)

Fongul

Yes I sold my copy on eBay a few years ago when times were tight & I would love to buy it again.

On the Saturn would be optimal, but if it could be released for another console I would grab it as well

Yes Yes Yes

Suidoken I & II, Shining Force III, Phantasy Star Collection (in English), The Red Star (pick it up man!)

It's great but I wish something was designated on the cover to indicate that it's a special edition or a second print (being a comic collector in years past I can understand the dismay from collectors)

jgkspsx

-Yes, Definitely.

-On a Download Service like Xbox Live Marketplace.
Any of the above

-Yes [Answer Here]
Oh, the list could go on and on. I'd really like to play through the Saturn Symphony of the Night (for Maria), but that will never happen.

-I like it, but I'd prefer if there were something visual on the case/disc to differentiate an original from a reprint. <- I have nothing against this idea, but I don't really care.

Top Bottom