• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you develop a game/mod? Do you plan on it in the future?

Are you ever going to make a game, or a game mod?

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I know GAF is a place for game PLAYERS, but do you have plans to create any game? It doesn't have to be a big triple A industrial project but it can be simple as a fangame or a simple flash/html5 project.
For me... I'm on the fence. There's some other stuff i'd like to create, (an album, animated youtube series, a webcomic) but video games seem like a good idea to improve my design, creativity, and problem solving skills, especially when it comes to coding. I don't think i'm very talented in many areas when it comes to making a game, though, and the scope seems extremely large.

A mod sounds like a better idea to me, you have a preexisting engine and you've got a base of a game. Mods also don't cost money so you can make them as long or as short as you want, and unprofessional mods are allowed since a lot of mods are very amateurish. They arent professional projects like games are.

Rayderism

No. I tried coding a little with a friend on the old C64 decades ago.....discovered that I have absolutely zero talent or patience for such things.

I know GAF is a place for game PLAYERS, but do you have plans to create any game? It doesn't have to be a big triple A industrial project but it can be simple as a fangame or a simple flash/html5 project.
For me... I'm on the fence. There's some other stuff i'd like to create, (an album, animated youtube series, a webcomic) but video games seem like a good idea to improve my design, creativity, and problem solving skills, especially when it comes to coding. I don't think i'm very talented in many areas when it comes to making a game, though, and the scope seems extremely large.

A mod sounds like a better idea to me, you have a preexisting engine and you've got a base of a game. Mods also don't cost money so you can make them as long or as short as you want, and unprofessional mods are allowed since a lot of mods are very amateurish. They arent professional projects like games are.
Both of those ideas appeal to me, perhaps at some point I'll make interactive projects like games

Gojiira

Years ago I did make mods for F3/New Vegas/Skyrim. My biggest mod was a complete overhaul of the 188 Trading Post, making it into a actual trading post with a ton of different caravans, merchants, hustlers etc etc. Lost everything I made when my hdd died. Havent modded since lol.

kikkis

I have tried in the past to make something happen. Some of the aspects of game dev are really difficult imo like path finding/ai. These days I don't program in systems languages like c. And I am too low iq to master multiple languages. So if javascript had like performant way to ship either online or desktop version I could consider making some abstract game, since I can't do art either and don't want to either.

Edit. Inspired after this thread I tried xbox series x edge browser for some browser games. It ran out of memory pretty quickly, but otherwise seemed fine. Also found out that web actually has gamepad api for controllers. Thus i tried that with babylonjs playground and my xbox controller worked pretty well. I will certainly consider making an web game now even if it's not useful for typical CRUD web app learining.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I don't have the knowledge to do either. Modding a game I like to make it even better would be the easier choice. Maybe if I hit the lottery and quit my job.

ShadowLag

Made maps and mods for OG Doom and Quake, some messing around in Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and lots of little original, personal projects throughout the years. Currently doing my own game engine with some gameplay ideas I want to prototype when it's ready for them. Don't like the flow of Unity or Unreal despite getting pretty far in some projects on them, so I'm rolling my own.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm making a universal mod that inverts horizontal and vertical camera settings, locks refresh to 30FPS and applies a chromatic aberration filter to every game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I actually have two projects I work on for a few days from time to time.

One is a mix of DOOM and Nuclear Throne, here's a prototype:

Many things are still pending, mainly the enemy AI, dynamic lights, and an actual tileset.

The other one is a CRPG but with a JRPG-like combat system. I'm planning on using AI generated images for this one and is still veeery early into development.

64bitmodels 64bitmodels if you want to make a simple game, coding is enough, no need to worry too much about resources since you have opengameart.org and itch.io, which are full of free assets like graphics, sounds and music. Check them out!

Last edited:
i tried making a game but it was overwhelming and daunting. the most i managed to do was control a little character dude and move him up/down and side to side in a room. i know there are games made by 1 person but the amount of time and work needed is insane. you really need to have a group of people.

i'd like to make mods but even that is well beyond my skill. i have very basic almost non existant coding skills. the best i can do is tweak mods other people make lol.

Many things are still pending, mainly the enemy AI, dynamic lights, and an actual tileset.

The other one is a CRPG but with a JRPG-likr combat system. I'm planning on using AI generated images for this one and is still veeery early into development.

64bitmodels 64bitmodels if you want to make a simple game, coding is enough, no need to worry too much about resources since you have opengameart.org and itch.io, which are full of free assets like graphics, sounds and music. Check them out!

that's so awesome. that's something like what i was trying to do. as i said above all i managed was moving the character up/down and to the sides. i created a very basic image for the character. can't remember if i done anything else art wise.

i was inspired by hotline miami/diablo and wanted it to have a cyberpunk feel to it. the game Ruiner is what i imagined it would look like:

iu

but with more of a focus on "dungeons" to run through. the dungeons would have just been floors/levels. I wanted to make it feel like your character was basically Judge Dredd and working his way through floors in a megabuilding:

iu

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Never modded a Steam game but will try on Returnal once it's released. Love this game in spite of it being a rouge-like so want to make it more linear and mess with the RND.

AndrewRyan

I am very close to retirement... I plan big things for the v-pinball community using 40+ years in software and hardware engineering.... or maybe just shaking rakes at stuff
Star Wars pinball on Switch is incredible with how well in transmits the feeling of the ball moving around the table. Love to see something that enhances the Switch's HD rumble on a physical table.

NahaNago

I'd like to start late next year to make a game. I just have a couple of projects I need to get going before my attempt at video game development.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
nightmare-slain nightmare-slain thanks bro.

Being a solo dev can be abit daunting, specially at the start when you have hundreds of thing to take care of ahead of you. Organization is key imo, I´d advise to create some sort of kanban board to keep track of what you are doing and what is left to do, pretty useful when developing any software.

Also, I wouldn't start with any kind of dream game or big project. Start small, grab some free assets online and focus on game design and coding. That way you won't get frustrated so easily, you'll learn a lot and you'll have a working game in a short span of time, which is something very gratifying.

FeldMonster

I wish I knew how. I have many ideas for features/changes to the games I love, but unless I become a billionaire to fund them, they won't ever happen.

Guilty_AI

Also, I wouldn't start with any kind of dream game or big project. Start small, grab some free assets online and focus on game design and coding. That way you won't get frustrated so easily, you'll learn a lot and you'll have a working game in a short span of time, which is something very gratifying.
Rather than coding and game design, i think taking advantage of what one does best would be better. If you're confident in game design then making a more mechanically focused game would be more interesting indeed, but if you have more confidence in writing or drawing art, making something that takes advantage of those like a VN or a text adventure would probably be better. All of this as a hobby project of course.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'm going to.
But I got lucky to be in a really well paying job right now, so other things like saving for a house, etc. now take priority.

Indie game development is an almost guaranteed loss of money, so I'm not going to start game development without a significant financial buffer.

TintoConCasera

Indie game development is an almost guaranteed loss of money
Why do you think so? You can make a game all by your own with 0 money, all you need is to invest time and make the effort.

Guilty_AI

I'm making a universal mod that inverts horizontal and vertical camera settings, locks refresh to 30FPS and applies a chromatic aberration filter to every game.
Better idea. Instead of locked 30, make it so the FPS keeps wavering between 28-29. For the camera, make it invert at random intervals, also give it a 0.3 second lag.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I loved making maps to half life mods.

Sadly there's really no mod making community anymore like in the half life days. I'd love it make maps to an online FPS.

I ended up ditching it and are instead making music for both games and music,which has become my true passion.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I made small, simple games back in the late 90's / early 00's. It was too much like my day job writing code so I quit. They sucked anyway.

Filben

Nah. Modding community is drama predestined. Gaming industry, on a big scale, is rotten to the bone and the majority, where the money's at, want mindless grind. And the indie sector is actual real hard work and requires so much dedication that you'll probably won't have a life outside of developing that game.

I'd rather consume than create in this kind of industry.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I used to dabble with RPG maker back in the day. Nothing I made was worth playing lol.
id unironically recommend trying it again. It's a surprisingly easy to use engine and people have made some AMAZING stuff with it, like Yume Nikki, OFF, Omori, Etcc. People rip on it for how low budget it looks but it's good for making a sort of out there SNES style RPG or a horror game

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

The other one is a CRPG but with a JRPG-like combat system. I'm planning on using AI generated images for this one and is still veeery early into development.

That looks pretty damn good, the doom influence is pretty clear from the map design. I haven't played nuclear throne, but this is giving me Enter the Gungeon vibes

TintoConCasera

That looks pretty damn good, the doom influence is pretty clear from the map design. I haven't played nuclear throne, but this is giving me Enter the Gungeon vibes
Ay my dude, many thanks for the kind words!

You should totally check out Nuclear Throne, specially on PC or the Switch (PS4 sucks because bad optimization). It's kinda like Enter the Gungeon but even more arcade. Game seems simple on the surface, but it holds many secret areas, paths and characters to unlock, among other secret cool things.

I used to make mods for Ocarina of Time which is what introduced me to software development. Luckily, I had a knack for it and made it into a career.

I have had an idea for a game kicking around in my head for about a decade or so, but the scope of it is daunting. Instead, I've started focusing on the development of individual key aspects of the game itself.

Ultimately, it's draws heavily from procedural generation along the lines of Dwarf Fortress rather than something like NMS. The main problem I'm facing right now is data hierarchies + parameterization for world generation.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Why do you think so? You can make a game all by your own with 0 money, all you need is to invest time and make the effort.
I'm not sure if you are being serious here, but just in case:

0 money, huh?
So what do you live off while making the game? Who pays rent, food, pension savings, etc.? Hopes and dreams? :messenger_winking:
Or did you think about making a game while also running a full time job? You can do that, if you want burnout or an early grave.
Me? Not so much. Nothing's worth doing that to your health, I've seen it often enough.

And who will do all the things of the game that you cannot do?
Can you do all of programming, game design, 3D art, 2D art, animation, UI art, music, sound effects, testing, community management?
Unfortunately, I can only do a few of these - and even then only one at a time.

I'm also not talking about some small time waster (aka mobile) game that can be hacked together in a few weeks, but a serious project that will span years and has had months of research & planning spent on it already.

There is a very good reason many solo or very-small-team indie devs spend their savings on making a game.
It's really damn expensive to do so.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I'm not sure if you are being serious here, but just in case:

0 money, huh?
So what do you live off while making the game? Who pays rent, food, pension savings, etc.? Hopes and dreams? :messenger_winking:
You live off your work.

This is a hobby, if you want to make a living out of it then sure, you'll have to invest, but I wasn't talking about that.

But for a small game? There are lots and lots of free assets you can use, and with AI generation you can create some cool art pieces too.

People seem to think about making a living and getting rich. It's not about that, it's about getting fun while creating something you like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom